PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension

leroysch
08-24-2014, 10:29 PM
I've got the rear preload dialed up about halfway and the bike feel nicely planted and composed during high speed sweepers on less than perfect roads. Couldn't be happier. Maybe because the rear is so well behaved, I feel the front suspension being "busy" with a surprising (relative to what the rear is communicating) amount of vibration thru the bars. No wobble and nothing that takes away from the enjoyment of an aggressive ride but I was wondering if this is oart of the bike's personality?

wantone
08-24-2014, 11:29 PM
I was goin to post this question. I went on my first 100+ mile ride yesterday and I cud feel most of the bumps from front suspension. It's if of jarry rough ride from the front forks. I was not happy considering goldwing is an awesome bike.

I always bashed HD for having a terrible suspension on streetglide. But when I rode yesterday I was disappointed in the front suspension handling of F6B.

I've just come close to 500 miles on my bike. I love this bike (6 bikes in 2 yrs for me) but was not happy with front end feel.

F6B1911
08-25-2014, 12:03 AM
I was goin to post this question. I went on my first 100+ mile ride yesterday and I cud feel most of the bumps from front suspension. It's if of jarry rough ride from the front forks. I was not happy considering goldwing is an awesome bike.

I always bashed HD for having a terrible suspension on streetglide. But when I rode yesterday I was disappointed in the front suspension handling of F6B.

I've just come close to 500 miles on my bike. I love this bike (6 bikes in 2 yrs for me) but was not happy with front end feel.

What are you comparing to? A previous ride? I came off of a very old motorcycle, once I got on a F6B it was like riding on a pillow. I do have serious front suspension issues, the roads in Michigan, they have to be the worst in the nation, I have to either head south to Ohio or north half way up the state to hit some smooth roads. Once there, I have no problems.
Have you looked at the options Progressive Suspension?

Scotrod
08-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Bump up the rear preload a few more clicks.

Steve 0080
08-25-2014, 10:11 AM
+1 on all the above threads....which is why I went with Progressive front mono tubes...solved all the issues I had with the front end....The progressives make all the little bumps go away and the bigger ones not as jarring....

Anyone in Franklin will be able to see my bike with them installed.... rides will be $.50

http://wingstuff.com/products/36110-monotube-fork-cartridge-kit-for-honda-f6b-in-std-or-1-lower?from_search=1

gray rider
08-25-2014, 07:21 PM
I posted about the harsh front fork action on my bike a year or so ago. My fork had a lot of sticktion and pounded the hell out of my arthritic hands. As stated earlier the Superbrace I installed resolved my issue. The fork action was immediately more compliant and supple with no further issues.

wantone
08-25-2014, 07:26 PM
+1 on all the above threads....which is why I went with Progressive front mono tubes...solved all the issues I had with the front end....The progressives make all the little bumps go away and the bigger ones not as jarring....

Anyone in Franklin will be able to see my bike with them installed.... rides will be $.50

http://wingstuff.com/products/36110-monotube-fork-cartridge-kit-for-honda-f6b-in-std-or-1-lower?from_search=1

Do u have the standard or 1" lower monotubes ? I'm looking for plush ride not firmer. Also with 1" lower tubes does the back end look like it is higher ?

cueman
08-25-2014, 08:20 PM
How hard is the install? I didn't see any instructions in the ad. "batsmiley" cueman

BIGLRY
08-25-2014, 08:28 PM
How hard is the install? I didn't see any instructions in the ad. "batsmiley" cueman
IMO easy, but here you judge.

http://youtu.be/BTpm4Zw8bKY

JBnAZ
08-25-2014, 09:01 PM
What air pressure do you run up front? When I use 40 lbs up front my ride is a tad harsh, even with my fork brace. If I use 37 lbs it's noticeably less harsh. Would new fork internals help, most likely. For me the front end is fine for a cruiser so no more $ invested in improving the ride.

Steve 0080
08-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Do u have the standard or 1" lower monotubes ? I'm looking for plush ride not firmer. Also with 1" lower tubes does the back end look like it is higher ?

Yes, I did go 1 " lower, yes the bike looks and sits level...I can't say the ride is softer, it is less jarring on the big bumps and on the smaller ones less noticeable.....the bike seems planted to the road...

What I did was I was told the Service Manager I would pay $300 for the install...and he made it work......I am not a fan of shop hours...learned this lesson from my Rune!

As far as lowering air pressure in the front tire, yes that will work, but at the expense of tire wear.... just sayin...

cueman
08-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks BIGLRY, The video helped a lot! It seems doable on a good day.:cheers: cueman

BLACK DIAMOND
04-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi Steve 0080.
I would love to see your black Beauty f6b.
I'm planning on lowering mine too.
Is there any way you can post up some pics on here? I want to see how low yours is and drool over it a little lol ? Thank you. 👍😎

Steve 0080
04-06-2015, 08:09 PM
No problem ...here she is..... you can tell from afar by the distance between the faring and the front fender!