PDA

View Full Version : Take off in 2nd gear

wantone
08-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Will it cause any damage to the tranny, clutch or engine ? Any of u guys take off in 2 nd gear ?

BIGLRY
08-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Will it cause any damage to the tranny, clutch or engine ? Any of u guys take off in 2 nd gear ?Depending on how much you slip the clutch....it is going to take most of the abuse(hot & burn) otherwise it won't hurt the trans or engine IMO. At 400 lbs. I don't and won't.:301:

shooter
08-25-2014, 10:08 PM
I mostly ride two up on the B. I wouldn't even consider it. If you weigh 150 it might not hurt the clutch too bad. Why take a chance. Honda gave you low gear for a reason. Use it.

SmallPasture
08-26-2014, 07:15 AM
If you weigh 150 it might not hurt the clutch too bad.

That would be me. :icon_redface:

I do it every so often. It's usually when I haven't downed into 1st coming to a stop. It will more than handle the load but like everyone above said, why? No reason....but it's nice to know I can in a pinch.

gilbertma
08-26-2014, 07:35 AM
I use second gear all the time, I only weigh 166 and do not feel like first is necessary. So you only need three gears around town and fifth for over 55 mph. First does come in handy when their is a large woman on the back, or a trailer, or going up a ramp/ hill. I love this bike- :yes:

ReserveBum
08-26-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm not a big fan of first gear. Jumpy as hell especially before full warm up. I try to use second as much as I can. Looking at Ricks gear indicator when he completes it.

DaWadd
08-26-2014, 08:10 AM
I find myself using second gear alot riding solo. Much faster takeoff.

Scotrod
08-26-2014, 08:19 AM
I paid for 5. I use 5. :icon_biggrin:

2bikemike
08-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Hondamatic when life was easy

bob109
08-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I paid for 5. I use 5. :icon_biggrin:

+1 If Honda would have gave the F6B a 4 speed everyone would be "clamoring" for a 5 speed:banghead:

Ebony Deluxe
08-26-2014, 09:50 AM
First gear to low at low speeds, too jumpy, in parking lots. This weekend was at event with bike games, slow ride, plank ride, darts, etc.. second gear was the ticket, no nose dives at decel.

F6BPDX
08-26-2014, 11:57 AM
First gear to low at low speeds, too jumpy, in parking lots. This weekend was at event with bike games, slow ride, plank ride, darts, etc.. second gear was the ticket, no nose dives at decel.

I agree with this, and am almost always in second for parking lots, u turns, etc. However starting from a dead stop there is no reason IMO to not use first gear. I shift out of it most of the time by 10-15mph, but so what, it is just one flick of my foot.

srt8-in-largo
08-26-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of first gear. Jumpy as hell especially before full warm up. I try to use second as much as I can. Looking at Ricks gear indicator when he completes it.

I agree with this, and am almost always in second for parking lots, u turns, etc. However starting from a dead stop there is no reason IMO to not use first gear. I shift out of it most of the time by 10-15mph, but so what, it is just one flick of my foot.

+4 on the "jumpy" feeling in 1st gear... however I don't think it's the fault of the gearing... I think it's a twitchy throttle calibration.

unsub
08-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Will it cause any damage to the tranny, clutch or engine ? Any of u guys take off in 2 nd gear ?

I recommend using 2nd in tight spaces, 180 turns and parking lots.

TitansFan
08-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Me too. I almost always start in 2nd - it's way smoother that way for me. I was actually meaning to post a question if anyone else did that or if it was doing any harm. Thanks wantone for putting it out there.