PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise from rear when turning

celewis
08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I've got a question for the hands on guy's here, I just recently noticed a strange noise while turning or going through bends usually slow speeds is when I really notice it. I'm new to the single sided shaft driven bikes. Is this normal or should I take it to get looked at?? Note the pre-load is at the factory setting.

Steve 0080
08-26-2014, 09:27 AM
I would check the rear fluid level..... or better yet go by the dealer and see if they can here it..... how many miles?

The factory setting is either full soft or full hard...try it it the middle and go from there....

bob109
08-26-2014, 09:41 AM
What you may be hearing is tire noise seeing that you only hear it when cornering:icon_wink:

Scotrod
08-26-2014, 09:45 AM
What you may be hearing is tire noise seeing that you only hear it when cornering:icon_wink:

That's what my first thoughts were.

How many miles on tires?

MSGT-R
08-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Miles don't mean much unless you never corner it.

Go find a parking lot, slide your arse to the outside, look way over your shoulder and do some 2nd gear circles to scrub the outer-third of those tires in!

celewis
08-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I have 7,600 miles give or take.

And trust me, scurbbing the edges in on the tires is not the issue I came off of a 05 GSXR 1000 and have tested the cornering clearance on both sides the Wing several times already..

Scotrod
08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
With 7,600 miles, and without riding the bike /hearing the noise myself, I'd say cupping/tires.

BIGLRY
08-26-2014, 10:56 AM
I've got a question for the hands on guy's here, I just recently noticed a strange noise while turning or going through bends usually slow speeds is when I really notice it. I'm new to the single sided shaft driven bikes. Is this normal or should I take it to get looked at?? Note the pre-load is at the factory setting.
Question, does the sound change if you lightly tap the rear brakes? How would you describe the sound, rubbing, knock, thump, screech, rumble, whoosh, squeal, ticking, clicking? Do you feel any other sensations in the bike when you hear this noise?

celewis
08-26-2014, 11:04 AM
BIGLRY,

I haven't tried tapping the rear break when it's happening but I will try it when I go out in a few. Best description would be a rubbing noise..

BIGLRY
08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
BIGLRY,

I haven't tried tapping the rear break when it's happening but I will try it when I go out in a few. Best description would be a rubbing noise..
:tapfing: Okay, "rubbing" try the 'tap the rear brake' and see if it stops or changes. I'm now suspecting rear rotor rub from the full floating rear caliper. Completely normal if that is what you are hearing and the tapping of the rear brake will stop/change the sound if it is the issue. This is also a common issue on the front calipers and may be what you are hearing as the faring can trick your ears as to where the sound may really be coming from, use the same test (tap front brake) to see if sound changes. I reiterate "completely normal" if that is what you are hearing.

hiflyer
08-26-2014, 11:19 AM
One more thing to check, make sure lug nuts are tight.

bob109
08-26-2014, 11:20 AM
BIGLRY,

Put your bike on its center stand and place the trans in neutral. Get down and spin the rear tire by hand and observe and listen for any brake pad to rotor drag. Whenever I check my rear tire pressure I notice the intermitent rubbing noise as I rotate the tire:icon_wink:

celewis
08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks BIGLRY
I will try that and report back in a few...

celewis
08-26-2014, 11:24 AM
One more thing to check, make sure lug nuts are tight.

The rim hasn't been off the bike yet but I DO remember reading somewhere about a lug sheering off.. That's now on the to do list for this evening also..

Thanks Hiflyer..

celewis
08-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Put your bike on its center stand and place the trans in neutral. Get down and spin the rear tire by hand and observe and listen for any brake pad to rotor drag. Whenever I check my rear tire pressure I notice the intermitent rubbing noise as I rotate the tire:icon_wink:

The pads dragging on the rotor I'm aware of but this is when I'm corrning i really notice the sound..

celewis
08-26-2014, 04:20 PM
BIGLRY,
I tried what you said as far as tapping the rear break and it didn't do anything about the noise I'm hearing, when I get home this evening I'm going to check the lugs and report back..

Thank you all for the continued assistance...

Sorcerer
08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Over thinking again? Tire psi at 42 front & rear? Tire noise would be normal at 7,000 miles. Center is warn more than sides. When turning you are using tire blocking that has uneven ware. AKA, grumbly rumbly tires. More so if you have run under inflated tires, read oem recommended psi.

bobbyf6b
08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Max psi on my tires is 41. I wouldn't go over that.

Fla_rider
08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Oh the sound is from the chicken stripes?:headbang:

celewis
08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Oh the sound is from the chicken stripes?:headbang:
Please read post #6..

celewis
08-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Over thinking again? Tire psi at 42 front & rear? Tire noise would be normal at 7,000 miles. Center is warn more than sides. When turning you are using tire blocking that has uneven ware. AKA, grumbly rumbly tires. More so if you have run under inflated tires, read oem recommended psi.

I will check the cold pressure tonight after the tires cool off..