NHTSA ID Number: 10572733
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents

Crash:No
Fire:No
Number of Injuries:0
Number of Deaths:0

Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): JH2SC68L5DK...
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 HONDA GOLDWIND MOTORCYCLE. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 30 MPH, THE ENGINE HESITATED BUT DID NOT STALL. THE FAILURE WAS RECURRING BUT ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE WAS COLD. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER. THE MANUFACTURE WAS NOT MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 16,000.

badpapi
08-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Date Complaint Filed: 10/01/2013
Component(s): FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Date of Incident: 04/22/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10546436
All Products Associated with this Complaint close
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

HONDAGOLDWING2013

Details close
0 Associated Documents

Number of Injuries:0

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): JH2SC68H4DK...
SUMMARY:
2013 HONDA GOLDWING NAVI PACKAGE THROTTLE RESPONSE STUMBLES WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD. AFTER A COLD ENGINE START, REGARDLESS OF OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE, STARTING IN A LOW GEAR (1ST OR 2ND IS NORMAL), UPON THROTTLE ROLL-IN, THE ENGINE WILL NOT RESPOND ENOUGH TO KEEP FORWARD MOMENTUM. YOU HAVE TO SLIP THE CLUTCH AND KEEP THE RPM'S UP TO KEEP THE MOTORCYCLE MOVING WITHOUT HESITATION. I FEEL THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY CONCERN. ONCE THE ENGINE ACHIEVES OPERATING TEMPERATURE, THE HESITATION/STUMBLE IS RESOLVED. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY THE MANUFACTURER - HONDA. ASAP. *TR

badpapi
08-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Date Complaint Filed: 07/29/2013
Component(s): ENGINE
Date of Incident: 04/02/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10532347
Details close
0 Associated Documents

Number of Injuries:1

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): JH2SC68G1DK...
SUMMARY:
ON A COLD ENGINE START RELEASING THE CLUTCH AND ATTEMPTING TO ACCELERATE, THE ENGINE WILL "STUMBLE" OR HESITATE, THEN CATCH AND ACCELERATE ERRATICALLY AND RUN ROUGH FOR A SHORT TIME. ON A MOTORCYCLE, IN A TURN WHERE THE MACHINE MUST BE LEANED OVER, THIS RESULTS IN A LOSS OF CONTROL AND DROPPING THE 950 LB. MACHINE. THIS HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE HAS COOLED TO AMBIENT TEMPERATURE OVERNIGHT OR AFTER BEING PARKED FOR AN EXTENDER PERIOD. THIS CONDITION BEGAN AT ABOUT 900 MILES AND CONTINUES TO THE CURRENT MILEAGE OF 2900. THE INJURY MENTIONED WAS TO MY BACK IN TRYING TO PREVENT DROPPING TO MOTORCYCLE AND DID NOT REQUIRE MEDICAL ATTENTION. *TR

badpapi
08-26-2014, 02:41 PM
i try posting a link but dint let me

ED209
08-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Date Complaint Filed: 07/29/2013
Component(s): ENGINE
Date of Incident: 04/02/2013
NHTSA ID Number: ou812
Details close
0 Associated Documents

Crash:damn near
Number of Injuries:1
Piles of shit in pants: 3

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 123456
SUMMARY:
Took off, gained a close tailgater, bike nose dived due to cold hesitation, bike took off as throttle applied, hit a banana peel, ran off road into ditch, the state bush hog tractor went over me 3 times before I could get away.

Scotrod
08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
:lolup:

BUSH HOG!!??!!

SUM BITCH!!!

:icon_laugh:

Steve 0080
08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
I thought this issue was cleared up by adding the Iridium Plugs????

badpapi
08-26-2014, 03:50 PM
i all most never warm up and do not have this problem or maybe i do but i press the clutch and give couple reps and problem solve . but i see a lot of post here about it .

badpapi
08-26-2014, 03:52 PM
i all most never warm up and do not have this problem or maybe i do but i press the clutch and give couple reps and problem solve . but i see a lot of post about it .

jkelley
08-27-2014, 06:10 AM
Mine will do it if I start it and take off before it has a chance to run for a few seconds, if I start it and then put on my helmet and gloves it does ok.

Brian D
08-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Mine has 3400 miles on it and it doesn't stop hesitating until it reaches normal operating temp. Very annoying. I don't know too many people that sit and wait for there engine to reach operating temp.

BARRYS770
09-19-2014, 05:31 PM
My bike hesitates before it's up to full operating temperature also. It will also hesitate if the engine is shut off for about 30 minutes and the restarted. I've installed the NGK Irridium plugs and have varied the gap setting from recommended, but there is no change. It's obvious that the cold start and warm up fuel mapping is incorrect. Although the bike runs fine when warmed up, the cold start hesitation is very annoying and a possible safety issue. My dealer's only response is to let the engine come to full operating temperature before ridding the bike.

bobbyf6b
09-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Mine does it too. Every morning. :icon_doh:

ghost
09-19-2014, 07:29 PM
And mine never does. Original plugs, 12K miles. Go figure.

motozeke
09-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Maybe I'm just old school--I never hop on a bike that I started cold without giving it at least 10 seconds or so to run. Yes, "fuel injection," etc. etc. but letting the temp come up a bit is just a good practice to have IMHO.

I've found that unless my bike warms up for "a bit" (never measured the time--more than just putting on helmet and gloves, more like helmet, gloves and Roadcrafter) then the bike is still fast idling when I start to ride, which I don't like.

53driver
09-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Mine will do it if I start it and take off before it has a chance to run for a few seconds, if I start it and then put on my helmet and gloves it does ok.
I've never NOT done this....no issues.
But inquiring minds and the helicopter pilot in me (if it hasn't gone wrong yet, it is about to go wrong) needs to experiment and see if this is an issue.
Today, helmet & gloves first, sit on bike, aim bike out the driveway, start and GO!
We'll see what happens....

Cheers,
Steve

Watchdog
10-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Mine idles kind of high until it warms up but no stumble at all.

ReserveBum
10-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Mine idles kind of high until it warms up but no stumble at all.

Agreed, no stumble but high rpm regardless of outside temp. She will take off if you let clutch out or shift from neutral like a bat out of hell. Easily get 30 mph with no throttle input

Ray H
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM
+1 No problems at all with the warm up period. Start it up when cold and ride off.

Geronimo
04-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Mine has to be warmed up, otherwise if stutters and takes off. 2013f6b standard. Thought it was just me being new, its my first ride and have had it 11 months, at 9k miles right now. Still does it.

53driver
04-17-2016, 04:54 PM
I've never NOT done this....no issues.
But inquiring minds and the helicopter pilot in me (if it hasn't gone wrong yet, it is about to go wrong) needs to experiment and see if this is an issue.
Today, helmet & gloves first, sit on bike, aim bike out the driveway, start and GO!
We'll see what happens....

Cheers,
Steve

My little girl is just "not smooth" without a warmup. As soon as the needle moves up from "C" - she's happy again.

seadog
04-17-2016, 07:06 PM
I'm sure the high idle is the computer compensating for the cold engine as mine does that when cold. I start mine put on the gear, gloves, helmet and such and by that time the idle is down and it has never hesitated when cold at all. I don't really like starting a cold motor and just hitting it right away. I even let my truck and cars warm a bit before moving just to get the oil flowing without a load on the motor.

shooter
04-17-2016, 07:17 PM
It just makes sense Dog. I never just jump in or on something and take off. Let those lubricants get in all the right places.

53driver
04-17-2016, 07:30 PM
It just makes sense Dog. I never just jump in or on something and take off. Let those lubricants get in all the right places.

shooter
04-17-2016, 08:45 PM

I had really good intentions with that statement 53. You've been hanging around the other Steve too much.

53driver
04-17-2016, 10:23 PM
I had really good intentions with that statement 53. You've been hanging around the other Steve too much.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Tell it to the psychiatrist...Dr. Freud.

hardtail
04-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Intentions aside, that was funny!

TailGunner
05-09-2016, 09:15 AM
My 2013 did the same thing and I also almost dropped it and hurt my back trying to hold it up. But my 2015 has never had a problem. Could be just the 2013's, Have you had a chance to take it in?

smiley
07-02-2016, 12:14 AM

:icon_ditto: I always let my bike get to normal operating temp before taking off but it still stumbles til about 4th gear. But after that it's good. 2013 B

stevenolts
07-02-2016, 06:16 AM
I feel lucky for once / I start mine and go never a hesitation. (I know I should warm it up but I usually just take it slow for the first foot or two.)

Do you guys have the models with carbs? (Sorry / I am usually the one that has any available problem)
Did you shoot and barbecue that damn bush hog?

I have another idea back when I was a kid they always told me to take my 1968 Camaro out on the highway and go as fast as I could to burn the carbon out. I have done this with everything I own and my cars all have over 200000 miles and still run strong. If you baby an engine it just will not like it when you need to use it hard. I believe that if you ride around slow all the time the engine will never run to its full potential. I think the best thing to do is ride it like you stole it most of the time.
Steve

shooter
07-02-2016, 10:23 AM
You guys with the stumble problem should try running a couple tankfuls with Lucas in it.

seadog
07-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Intentions aside, that was funny!

Very accurate!!!!!

zacks
03-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Have 25,000 miles on mine and it started to what what other have posted.
Did not know which direction to go. ( dealer or no dealer).
Thanks to the input of other F6B rider....Thank you

Will keep watch this post see if a solution is offered by Honda.

HZ Florida