PDA

View Full Version : To Debadge the front

Cheesyryder
08-26-2014, 10:47 PM
How and what to do with the gunk that sticks it on??

srt8-in-largo
08-26-2014, 11:14 PM
WD40 and elbow grease.

Chances are good that you will end up with scratches; an orbital buffer with an orange mild cutting pad and Meguiars M205 light cutting polish will remove the scratches nicely.

F6B1911
08-26-2014, 11:16 PM

There was a discussion on this recently. I used GooGone, it worked fine. I believe someone used lighter fluid.

JackB
08-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I used WD40.

SmallPasture
08-27-2014, 01:34 PM
WD-40, fishing string/dental floss, goo-gone. Works like a champ w/ not scratches.

Soften the tape up w/ WD-40
Run fishing string/dental floss between emblem and faring, cutting the tape
use goo-gone to clean up the sticky left over.
wash/rinse/apply LG/Bake!

XKnight
08-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Goo Gone and fishing line work great. Let bike sit in hot summer sun or use a hairdryer to heat up the emblem being removed, then slip the fishing line in between the emblem and remove it. Then use Goo Gone to clean up the excess goo. Be extra careful or you will scratch the very soft paint that comes on these beloved beasts.

Drive Jehu
08-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Ronsonol lighter fluid was suggested by a member here and it worked well for me.

olds34dude
08-27-2014, 06:32 PM
3M adhesive remover, that's what it is made for. D

RcBtx1999
08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

I used my hairdryer on all the badging. It all came off very clean. Just a little stickem on the rear, but still cleaned up nice using honda polish and letting it sit a while. The Fairing badges popped right out clean with just the hairdryer and a small flat blade screwdriver.

FF-Ed
08-27-2014, 10:05 PM
I got to "Man Up" and just go for it... that front and rear logo has got to go..

srt8-in-largo
08-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Got rid of my front and rear. Those things don't look bad IMO but they collect dirt and are hard to detail around.

FF-Ed
09-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Using the wd40 and a piece of dental floss, I removed the Honda chrome logos quickly.

The problem came with removing the remaining tape...

goo gone, loosened it, I used a old super soft black cotton sock..

(BIG MISTAKE) a little elbow grease

40 minutes working on getting it off... and off came the sticky stuff.

I rinsed the area off and let it dry... IT WAS SCRATCHED ALL TO HELL!

my heart dropped all the way down to my ASS.:icon_frown:

OH NO, I nearly had a stroke.....:shock:

well lets try to fix it,,, I got out a can of Meguiar's Cleaner wax and figured

"it cant get much worse" I took the applicator pad and applied a light coat (worked it in, spiral pattern) & walked away.

a hour later, I came back, this time with a clean micro fiber towel and buffed off the surface.

it actually looked better, still scratched, but better... apply another coat, work it in, leave again...

REPEAT about 6 more times.... 12 hours into this ordeal, the logos are off and the scratches are GONE!

I must be the Luckiest SOB on this forum... My fairing and tail are shiny and badge free...

and no paint color came off on my white micro fiber towel. I full expected to burn right thru my finish & figgured

my next investment would be the paint shop... but I came out unscathed

SCMike
09-12-2014, 12:18 AM
This discussion reminds me of the time, when I was in college, and my girlfriend borrowed my freshly painted car. She drove through an area where fresh tar had been laid and got little spots of tar all over the new paint. So she thoughtfully decided to clean it for me.

She used steel wool pads to get the tar off. I am NOT kidding. There were little dull spots all over the car! She couldn't believe I was unhappy with her efforts.

Steve 0080
09-12-2014, 08:00 AM
This discussion reminds me of the time, when I was in college, and my girlfriend borrowed my freshly painted car. She drove through an area where fresh tar had been laid and got little spots of tar all over the new paint. So she thoughtfully decided to clean it for me.

She used steel wool pads to get the tar off. I am NOT kidding. There were little dull spots all over the car! She couldn't believe I was unhappy with her efforts.

At least she tried and did not try to hide it... +++

Steve 0080
09-12-2014, 08:01 AM
I used my hairdryer on all the badging. It all came off very clean. Just a little stickem on the rear, but still cleaned up nice using honda polish and letting it sit a while. The Fairing badges popped right out clean with just the hairdryer and a small flat blade screwdriver.

I don't have a hair dryer...... :poke:

Injun Joe
09-12-2014, 08:47 AM
I hadn't really thought about debadging the F6B, but the cleaning aspect really has me considering it.

Scotrod
09-12-2014, 08:50 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!

:rant:

:021:

:067:

Scotrod
09-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Soak a soft cloth in Mineral Spirits. Blot glue and/or leave cloth on glue. (Try to keep the glue ~moist~ w/ MS)

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Let the MS slowly soften the glue.

Wait. (Yes, I said it's slow)

Use a MS-soaked Microfiber to VERY GENTLY ROLL the glue off. Comes off in little 'balls',,

Let the solvent (slowly) do the work, NOT YOUR ARM!

Ericb445
09-12-2014, 06:14 PM
I had good luck with Orange Glo furniture polish as well as PB Blaster penetrating oil, I used both at different times to remove the glue from debadging.

Spanky
09-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Wd40 and fingers

mike2000t
09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Goof off takes the stuff off - and the paint, all the way down to the plastic. I had to re paint the front. Please dont repeat my mistake.

Darkknight
09-18-2014, 01:30 PM
I returned from Franklin determined to remove the badging.

I hooked my finger nail under the letters and slowly pulled them off. Then I dabbed goo gone on the remaining tape. I used my finger nail carefully to remove the majority of the tape and then more goo gone for the last little bits. Rubbed it with only the skin on my finger.
After that I could see the outline / shadow of the letters in the paint. It really showed in the sunlight on the Black paint. I pulled out the car polisher and some swirl remover and buffed it out. Then waxed as usual. Looks nice now. I did notice the same shadow on the tail section and realized I had forgotten to buff that out. All's well now.

Hornblower
09-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Goof off takes the stuff off - and the paint, all the way down to the plastic. I had to re paint the front. Please dont repeat my mistake.

Yeah, :agree: Goof Off and Goo Gone are two entirely different things :yikes:. Like you, I have found Goof Off extremely aggressive and, as a result, I find very few uses for it. It definitely should NOT be used on our soft paint :nono:.

winginitrick
09-19-2014, 01:08 AM
I got to "Man Up" and just go for it... that front and rear logo has got to go..

hey portsmouth! right up 32 west in batavia here. down by the OLD ford plant. yall keep on winginit rick

Hornblower
09-19-2014, 07:25 AM
OK...now, that you've debadged the front, what about a nice Decepticon emblem :icon_rolleyes:? Steve 0080, I'm pretty sure you can get these in chrome :crackup::poke:

Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xde cepticon&_nkw=decepticon+emblem&_sacat=0

Darkknight
09-19-2014, 08:19 AM
OK...now, that you've debadged the front, what about a nice Decepticon emblem :icon_rolleyes:? Steve 0080, I'm pretty sure you can get these in chrome :crackup::poke:

Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xde cepticon&_nkw=decepticon+emblem&_sacat=0

Is the Autobot the Good guys?
I have been thinking of autobot side emblems by hambly with the LED circle from Rick W.
Sweetie has a 4 year old grandson that would freak if he saw that!:yes:

Hornblower
09-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Is the Autobot the Good guys?
I have been thinking of autobot side emblems by hambly with the LED circle from Rick W.
Sweetie has a 4 year old grandson that would freak if he saw that!:yes:

Yes, I believe Autobots are the good guys. Ah, the things we do for our grandkids :wheelchair wheelie:

decubitus
09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Yes, I believe Autobots are the good guys. Ah, the things we do for our grandkids :wheelchair wheelie:

Autobots on one side, Decepticons on the other. Way far too cool.

XKnight
09-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah, :agree: Goof Off and Goo Gone are two entirely different things :yikes:. Like you, I have found Goof Off extremely aggressive and, as a result, I find very few uses for it. It definitely should NOT be used on our soft paint :nono:.

Yup, been using Goo Gone for year and it works great with no negative effects on paint.

Elroy
09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Cool Hand Luke pointed me in the direction of these car letters @ http://chromecarletters.com
I bought the black chrome Mercedes Benz letters. Bought 6 pieces to put "F6B" in place of the HONDA badges on the front fairing and back deck. They were fairly inexpensive. Would post pics, but haven't found the time to debadge, wash, and apply the new letters yet.