PDA

View Full Version : Back to the future?

Bike44
08-27-2014, 10:53 PM
A year ago I owned a 2013 F6B Deluxe in Red. Loved the ride, not so much the paint. Finally after dialog with Honda and dealer I decided to trade the paint problem with the bike and got another Harley Ultra whatever. Now after a year I'm going back to the same F6B I owned. Sat for a year and never sold.

Why? There's nothing like the 'Wing' platform for comfort and smooth. Another reason is my hearing can't take the HD noise (engine and exhaust) much more, and Doc says change your ways of plan on $10K hearing aids for the rest of your life.

So tomorrow it's back to the Future and we'll see what happens with the new bike. I'm prepared to paint it this winter if it bothers me again.

srt8-in-largo
08-28-2014, 12:37 AM
What is the paint issue?

JackB
08-28-2014, 05:44 AM
Did you get a good deal buying your old bike back?
I wonder how many people bought there old bikes back?
:banghead:

Injun Joe
08-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Did you get a good deal buying your old bike back?
I wonder how many people bought there old bikes back?
:banghead:

It never sold is what I'm reading.

To the OP: Good luck with it man. Just curious, do you normally wear ear plugs?

austin_tech
08-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I decided to trade the paint problem with the bike and got another Harley Ultra whatever. Now after a year I'm going back to the same F6B I owned.

Let me drive your Ultra till you get tired of the F6B again?

Bike44
08-28-2014, 11:10 AM
It's all good when it comes to motorcycles, and thanks folks for the comments. Yes I wear hearing protection as required, but the Harley's (especially some of the Softails I've owned with the exhaust right under the right ear) over miles are an issue for noise. The engine is also a factor. Lots going on inside.

And yes, I never really left the F6B behind. Those that enjoy the overall experience and ride know why, the rest will never understand.

The plan is to deal with the paint with topical treatment (like Finesse-It and Liquid Glass), and if that fails to please, then repaint. I have a friend with a professional paint booth and access to real paint that's not safe to drink like the stuff Honda prefers.

XKnight
08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Congrats on getting your old F6B back again. Probably not a common occurrence, but it speaks volumes about how great a bike the F6B is..batman-smilie.

I have tinnitus in my left ear, mainly caused from years of riding loud Harleys and not wearing any ear protection. I started wearing ear plugs a few years back, but it got to the point that all the noise from my Harley was just getting uncomfortable after any length of riding. My last Harley Heritage still had the stock pipes which aren't very loud, but between the pipes, the motor and the wind noise it was still too much for me. The full fairing on the F6B combined with a tall windshield makes all the difference in the world. Sucks getting older, but I'm glad to be riding the F6B. The power and handling alone are leaps and bounds above any Harley I've owned and I'm having more fun on two wheels now.

Bike44
08-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Congrats on getting your old F6B back again. Probably not a common occurrence, but it speaks volumes about how great a bike the F6B is..batman-smilie.

I have tinnitus in my left ear, mainly caused from years of riding loud Harleys and not wearing any ear protection. I started wearing ear plugs a few years back, but it got to the point that all the noise from my Harley was just getting uncomfortable after any length of riding. My last Harley Heritage still had the stock pipes which aren't very loud, but between the pipes, the motor and the wind noise it was still too much for me. The full fairing on the F6B combined with a tall windshield makes all the difference in the world. Sucks getting older, but I'm glad to be riding the F6B. The power and handling alone are leaps and bounds above any Harley I've owned and I'm having more fun on two wheels now.

Yes I agree 100%. Fifty four years of riding scooters, airplanes, firearms, chainsaws, radios, despite ear protection it takes it's toll. Plus the HD's are bedsprings with wheels when it comes to moving air around. Nice bikes, but anymore I want WX protection and peace on the road.

We'll likely see snow within a month in Fairbanks AK, so at least I'll get to ride under the waterfowl that are heading south.

ED209
08-28-2014, 06:49 PM
A year ago I owned a 2013 F6B Deluxe in Red. Loved the ride, not so much the paint. Finally after dialog with Honda and dealer I decided to trade the paint problem with the bike and got another Harley Ultra whatever. Now after a year I'm going back to the same F6B I owned. Sat for a year and never sold.

Why? There's nothing like the 'Wing' platform for comfort and smooth. Another reason is my hearing can't take the HD noise (engine and exhaust) much more, and Doc says change your ways of plan on $10K hearing aids for the rest of your life.

So tomorrow it's back to the Future and we'll see what happens with the new bike. I'm prepared to paint it this winter if it bothers me again.

I would love to have mine painted orange or white, both look great on this bike. The white color really helps to make others in cars feel that subliminal mind set of it being a police bike. :icon_mrgreen: automatic back-off or caution response. :icon_cool:

Old Harleys are worth the ride, the new ones :no:
a couple old ones I crossed...:yes:

srt8-in-largo
08-28-2014, 06:57 PM
There are some DIY clear coat kits out there that are very easy to apply. Opti Coat 2.0 is one option; I've applied this to all my painted surfaces in the hopes of hardening up the soft Honda paint.

Retired Army
08-28-2014, 07:02 PM

I have tinnitus in my left ear, mainly caused from years of riding loud Harleys and not wearing any ear protection. I started wearing ear plugs a few years back, but it got to the point that all the noise from my Harley was just getting uncomfortable after any length of riding. My last Harley Heritage still had the stock pipes which aren't very loud, but between the pipes, the motor and the wind noise it was still too much for me. The full fairing on the F6B combined with a tall windshield makes all the difference in the world. Sucks getting older, but I'm glad to be riding the F6B. The power and handling alone are leaps and bounds above any Harley I've owned and I'm having more fun on two wheels now.If you are a vet and in the VA system they will provide you with a set of hearing aids free. I received a VA disability for tinnitus and that entitles me to a healthy property tax break in Indiana this is not available in all states.

Bike44
08-28-2014, 07:57 PM
There are some DIY clear coat kits out there that are very easy to apply. Opti Coat 2.0 is one option; I've applied this to all my painted surfaces in the hopes of hardening up the soft Honda paint.

This is good info (http://www.opti-coat.com http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ocoat1.php?li=10) and might be ok for homeys like me without a paint booth and a wife that can smell a fart a block away.

The F6B just showed up and my bud drove the HD away. It was never driven except for today while at the local dealer. Battery was charged periodically but I'll put my CTEK MUS 4.3 Polar on it tonight for a good slow de-sulfation and Hi-V equalization charge.

It sounds and runs great, some swirls but not too bad. I'm in love again.

srt8-in-largo
08-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Awesome... there just isn't a better motorcycle platform out there IMO.

If you use the OptiCoat, make sure your paint is corrected perfectly first. Once you put the OC on, any scratches under it will be there pretty much permanently.

Since we're talking about Optimum products, their Power Clean (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/opclean.php?li=5) is by far the greatest all purpose cleaner I've ever used. I use it for everything: car, bike, fabrics, plastics, paint, engine, tub, counters, stovetop... there's almost nothing that this stuff isn't safe for and there's almost nothing this stuff won't make quick work of.