PDA

View Full Version : Helibars installed...

timjoebob
08-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Took the plunge and purchased the Horizon LST Helibars. Installation was fairly easy, albeit quite involved. The hardest part? Breaking free the bolts from the existing bars which Honda of Russellville had SERIOUSLY over-torqued when installing MBL risers. Terrible. Must've been 50+ ft lbs... needs only 20#.

It's gonna take some time to get them adjusted just right with so many variations.

Top-quality materials, instructions, and attention to detail.

BIGLRY
08-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Took the plunge and purchased the Horizon LST Helibars. Installation was fairly easy, albeit quite involved. The hardest part? Breaking free the bolts from the existing bars which Honda of Russellville had SERIOUSLY over-torqued when installing MBL risers. Terrible. Must've been 50+ ft lbs... needs only 20#.

It's gonna take some time to get them adjusted just right with so many variations.

Top-quality materials, instructions, and attention to detail.Looking good, I'll be installing mine as soon as they get here (sept 2) can't wait, will be nice to get that "just right" feeling when riding.;roughrider;

bobo
08-30-2014, 08:50 AM
just a quick question do you use all the original cables when installing these bars and if so is there enough slack that there is no binding.the bars look great on the bike........tks..........bobo

Injun Joe
08-30-2014, 09:39 AM
just a quick question do you use all the original cables when installing these bars and if so is there enough slack that there is no binding.the bars look great on the bike........tks..........bobo

The site info says you can use the originals thanks to some special included fitting.

timjoebob
08-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Yep, you use the existing cables. In the installation process, you loosen the cable loom and free up the excess cables. You also install adapters on the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs which also add about 2.5". Near the end of the installation, you then bleed both lines, which is an easy process.

Great instructions with color photos. The installation manual with photos is available here:

https://www.helibars.com/product/honda-goldwing-gl1800f6b-luxury-sport-touring-horizon-bars

I'm still adjusting, trying to find the right position.

Random Factor
08-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Just installed mine last weekend. Instructions are excellent and straight forward. Also installed a Kury 2nd Gen Fork Brace.

While many forum members were up on the Dragon this weekend, I was getting to know my new ride farther east on the Blue Ridge Pkwy from Little Switzerland, NC to Fancy Gap, Va. I get to go up the southern leg of the Diamondback (Hwy 80) that way and its real twisty with lots of transitions. Would have loved to make the rally but only had the day free and needed to get to know my big girl.

With the Helibars and the Brace, I basically ended up with a significantly different motorcycle. I have to admit the stock bars made me feel like I was steering a boat. Not anymore! The crossbar on the Helibars just tighten it all up. I expect the brace is helping some. It now handles like a really big sportsbike. Lots more authority and control in picking and adjusting your line through a curve. On the highway, they are stable at all speeds up to at least 100 mph. The opportunity for further testing on that did not present itself on this trip.

I was able to adjust the bars to a slightly more sporty position as well as turn them out so it wasn't forcing my elbows into my sides. Makes all the difference for me.

About the F6B in general, now that I have had it for a couple of weeks. Its a awesome motorcycle. Today was the most comfortable 450 miles I've ever ridden. It ate the 140 miles from Winston Salem to Marion like it was just floating above the interstate. For all its size, it did better than I had expected on the serious curves.

Peace ya'll