PDA

View Full Version : Larger grips

wantone
08-28-2014, 10:43 PM
What options are out there ? The stock grips are really thin and I'm looking for beefier heated grips.

Thanks

Yeahoo Whoyah
08-28-2014, 10:53 PM
The stock grips are really thin and I'm looking for beefier

Maybe try some grip puppies first?

SpeedyWho
08-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Maybe try some grip puppies first?

+1

I love mine, cheep and easy. Highly recommend

bobbyf6b
08-29-2014, 12:40 AM
I have the Kuryakyn ones but they are a pita to install. Sometimes they go on nice and sometimes they break trying to install them. I had to get a couple replacements before I was "happy". I say that in quotes because I still have one grip that won't stay snapped together without a zip tie on it. Oh and you lose the factory end weights so you'll have to get the Kury weights to kill the buzzing.

Grip Puppies sound like an easier and less expensive option but it depends on the look and feel you want. The Kury's are definitely beefy and comfortable. I tried cheap foam ones that slide on too but they wore out really fast.

bobbyf6b
08-29-2014, 12:40 AM
+1

I love mine, cheep and easy. Highly recommend

You got a link for those?

Bruce B
08-29-2014, 12:44 AM
From Wingstuff, I got the Comfort Grip Covers by Grab-On for $12.99 and they really do the job. Give a bit more diameter for greater leverage and the foam gives a better grip. I have about 10,000 miles on them and they are like new. No deterioration or break down of the CE foam at all in spite of exposure to severe sunlight and 100 degree+ heat. My heated grips work through the foam. A quality, low cost, simple solution. At $12.99, if they wear out in another 10,000-20,000 miles, I'll replace them with no complaints. Would definitely recommend. http://wingstuff.com/products/31623-comfort-grip-covers?from_search=1
I also use a Cramp Buster (or similar product, I forget the brand). With the Grip Covers and the Cramp Buster, I have long distance comfort on the slab or in the twisties.

ruouthere
08-29-2014, 05:32 AM
I'm using the Kury's and yes they can be a PITA to install the first time but work well and look great even after 60K miles. I used the on my Gold Wings over the heated grips.

Cool Hand Luke
08-29-2014, 05:39 AM
I tried grip puppies, but I think this is a much better product. It is thicker, they increase grip diameter, they are truly the most comfortable, and if it rains these grips don't absorb water. They are super easy to put on:

8026 8027

I had mine put on at Americade last year, and about 12-13,000 miles and 14 months later they are still not thorn. I am going to replace them after this riding session, however, with the same product.

They can be bought here: http://www.shop.originalbeemerbuddies.com/main.sc

They used to be called Beemer Buddies, but they are redesigned and much more durable now. Ther will be a small crease as they simply wrap around your grips and use velcro (they stick to your grips by adhesive which leaves no residue when removed). You install them so the crease is on the bottom of the grips and therefore not visible while bike is parked.

These will keep your original rubber grips under them looking like new. Also, your heated grips will heat thru them and you will still have the heat working.

Texas TC
08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
I havd had the foam grips since purchasing the bike. At 22000 miles, they are still in great shape. I prefer the soft, larger diameter grip and have been with that setup on my last 12 bikes. I even had them on myHonda Rancher ATV. No problems getting soggy in the rain thus far.

opas ride
08-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Had the Kury's installed over my heated grips at the dealer at pick-up. No issues so far and they are fine for me even with smaller hands..Been on for almost a year and work great..

Ixol Phaane
08-29-2014, 11:41 AM
What options are out there ? The stock grips are really thin and I'm looking for beefier heated grips.

Thanks

That was my first impression, too... having come from a VTX with larger grips. I considered changing the grips, but they're heated and I didn't want the hassle.
My fix was to simply wear gloves, something I didn't usually do. I picked up a lightweight pair of UnderArmor sports gloves and problem solved.
Gloves are second nature now, and the grips feel fine.

SpeedyWho
08-29-2014, 06:30 PM
You got a link for those?

I got mine at the Helmet Center in Peoria, the Phoenix store has em too. They're foam and cost around 10-15 bucks