PDA

View Full Version : Laid it down !!!

wantone
08-30-2014, 06:16 PM
I knew this was coming sooner or later. I was on an incline/slope and cud not reach my foot and had to lay it down gently. For a minute I thought it is going to damage the bike. But those bag shield really do their job. I'm short and this incident has me thinking whether I shud lower the bike.

If I lower it by 1" and get mustang seat which is another 1" lower I think I'll be in good shape. Or just try mustang first. With mustang I'm pretty sure I'll use airhawk (personally I like ultimate seat but I think I'll settle for mustang for it's lowering ability).

My questions are

1. If I lower the bike by 1", will it affect it's handling by any means ?
2. Shud I use lowering kit or get Progressive monotubes lowers ? I heard those monotubes make a stiffer ride. I want to go with regular monotubes for a plush ride.

My other mod will be Kuryakyn risers.

Ericb445
08-30-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm glad things worked out OK for you.
It could have been worse.
You should try the mustang seat before messing with the suspension.
That's what I would do if it where me.

wantone
08-30-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm glad things worked out OK for you.
It could have been worse.
You should try the mustang seat before messing with the suspension.
That's what I would do if it where me.

I'm definitely upgrading the fork suspension. I was looking at progressive monotubes but after reading several reviews I understand that it raises the bike. So that is out of picture. Next option I have is 1" lower monotubes, but I read that it stiffens the suspension. And I'm looking for plush ride.

So shud I just get progressive heavy duty fork spring ($89) or fork spring kit by traxxion ($129) ?

Also is it necessary to install All Balls Steering Bearings Kit for Goldwing ?

Will add superbrace too.

So I'm thinking of getting Mustang seat + either progressive spring or traxxion spring kit.

What do u guys think 'lost'

Texas TC
08-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Just try the Mustang seat first. It will probably save you some time and money and I think you will be pleased with the results.

XKnight
08-30-2014, 09:00 PM
I've known a few folks that have bought bikes that are simply too big and heavy for their size or abilities. They usually end up selling the big bikes and getting something smaller and end up much happier. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Scotrod
08-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Everything begins with seating position. If you are happy with OEM,,,, You would be one of few.

wantone
08-30-2014, 09:59 PM
I've known a few folks that have bought bikes that are simply too big and heavy for their size or abilities. They usually end up selling the big bikes and getting something smaller and end up much happier. Hope you get it all sorted out.

U r right. I just sold Victory cross country. On that bike I was able to flat foot but It felt like big bike for me. I switched the handlebars on that from 2" first and then 3" pullbacks. Still felt like I was reaching for the handlebars. Even my riding buddies told me that it looks like I was working hard riding that bike. But I was really comfortable once at stop light cuz of how much lower the seat is on cross country.

Sitting on F6b my friends say that it looks natural and better than Victory. But now this time the seat height is 2" taller. So I'm going to try Progressive 1" lower and mustang seat with airhawk.

Once moving I do not feel that bike is any big for me. It is only when I'm stopped it feels like I'm on the mountain. Need to flat foot for better control and I'll be fine I think. I definitely feel this bike is for keeps with some modifications of course.

opas ride
09-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Do not quite see your rationale in going from a Victory, which is almost 100lbs. lighter than the F6B, to a bike you seem not to be able to handle very well...I think the above post is somewhat right and maybe you should consider a smaller bike that you can handle without having to add a lot of aftermarket stuff, costing several hundreds of dollars, to satisfy your needs...Regards and I hope you fine a solution that works for you....

wantone
09-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Do not quite see your rationale in going from a Victory, which is almost 100lbs. lighter than the F6B, to a bike you seem not to be able to handle very well...I think the above post is somewhat right and maybe you should consider a smaller bike that you can handle without having to add a lot of aftermarket stuff, costing several hundreds of dollars, to satisfy your needs...Regards and I hope you fine a solution that works for you....

There is a major difference betwn Vic Cross country and F6b. It was not the weight but it was the reach that was a problem for me on victory. At first I switched the handlebars to 2" pullback and then to 3" pullback. And yet It was not comfortable for me. According to my calculation I wud have needed somewhere about 4 to 4.5" pullbacks to get it right. But by then I had lost all the fun with that bike. Problem was I bought victory without a test ride.

I think with 1" lower progressive monotubes and mustang seat I'll be in good shape with F6b.

opas ride
09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
You must have really short arms and a very short inseam??..I am 5'9" with a 29"inseam and do not remember having an issue with the bars on the 3 Victory bikes I had...Kingpin, XC, and Vision Tour. Seat height was fine except for the Vision and I installed the 8-ball seat which was 1" lower..I still help out at the Indian and Victory demo rides with the local club here and have ridden every model and style of bike that Polaris makes with no bar distance issues...I know some have installed risers on the F6B, but I have not and do not intend to...I do have the 1"lower Mustang seat which works great for me....Good luck on your choices and I hope they work for you....Riding a bike that your not comfortable with is not the way to enjoy riding!!!

smokinjoe187
09-02-2014, 07:17 PM
I knew this was coming sooner or later. I was on an incline/slope and cud not reach my foot and had to lay it down gently. For a minute I thought it is going to damage the bike. But those bag shield really do their job. I'm short and this incident has me thinking whether I shud lower the bike.

If I lower it by 1" and get mustang seat which is another 1" lower I think I'll be in good shape. Or just try mustang first. With mustang I'm pretty sure I'll use airhawk (personally I like ultimate seat but I think I'll settle for mustang for it's lowering ability).

My questions are

2. Shud I use lowering kit or get Progressive monotubes lowers ? I heard those monotubes make a stiffer ride. I want to go with regular monotubes for a plush ride.

it scares me when i read posts like this
seriously...scares me
first off if you have to go through this much to make the f6b fit you you are on the wrong bike
second off help me help you..
the f6b is not a harley and its not worth taking a chance on your life
im afraid every time i open a post something bad is gonna happen now...
please,,,evaluate your options...
none of us want you to get hurt...
please

MSGT-R
09-02-2014, 07:38 PM
First off, you don't need both feet flat on the ground! My philosophy is that you only "fall" in one given direction at any given time; so put that foot down and don't be worrying about the other. You should be coming to a stop with your right foot on the brake and your left foot to the deck..

Secondly, I'm probably the shortest person in this forum @ 5'1" and I can handle it just fine with my 26" inseam and a cut down Corbin seat. If I had to have both feet flat on the ground, I'd be riding a Rebel.

Do the skinny seat first before futzing with the suspension; it's cheaper and not as technical. If you lower the suspension, you will not be able to corner as deeply without scraping someting.

smokinjoe187
09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
First off, you don't need both feet flat on the ground! My philosophy is that you only "fall" in one given direction at any given time; so put that foot down and don't be worrying about the other. You should be coming to a stop with your right foot on the brake and your left foot to the deck..

Secondly, I'm probably the shortest person in this forum @ 5'1" and I can handle it just fine with my 26" inseam and a cut down Corbin seat. If I had to have both feet flat on the ground, I'd be riding a Rebel.

Do the skinny seat first before futzing with the suspension; it's cheaper and not as technical. If you lower the suspension, you will not be able to corner as deeply without scraping someting.

amen...its not just me
your safety is the first priority
go slow first...read see what others have done..
make good choices..but be safe

Clutch
09-02-2014, 08:07 PM

Agreeing with MSGT-R. I'm 5'3" with 27" inseam. I've been riding the past 4 years on bikes that I couldn't flat-foot. It doesn't mean you can't ride them. It only means you need to find the right seat, perhaps handlebar extensions, and perhaps even platform boots. I wouldn't touch the suspension for ANYTHING.

The stock seat on the F6B is ridiculously wide to me, and I can hardly tippy-toe on it. I had the good fortune of sitting on a Mustang seat. That seat dropped me an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference between being almost flat-footed and just barely boot-tipping the ground. I plan to order a Mustang seat soon.

Steve 0080
09-02-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm definitely upgrading the fork suspension. I was looking at progressive monotubes but after reading several reviews I understand that it raises the bike. So that is out of picture. Next option I have is 1" lower monotubes, but I read that it stiffens the suspension. And I'm looking for plush ride.

So shud I just get progressive heavy duty fork spring ($89) or fork spring kit by traxxion ($129) ?

Also is it necessary to install All Balls Steering Bearings Kit for Goldwing ?

Will add superbrace too.

So I'm thinking of getting Mustang seat + either progressive spring or traxxion spring kit.

What do u guys think 'lost'

NOT TRUE!!! Progressive makes a 1" Lowering mono tube kit....same $$$ but lower. It improves the ride!! Nothing negative!!!!! And yes I do have them installed.... lowered the front by 1 1/4 ", along with the Mustang seat is all you need... Good luck!!!

srt8-in-largo
09-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Glad the bike wasn't damaged. Don't feel bad... this bike is a heavy beast when not rolling... I've been REAL close to plunking mine down in the driveway trying to get it turned around.

I for one encourage you to make the bike yours. At this point in time, there's no other bike on the market that even comes close to an F6. If all it takes is a seat and suspension, then that's a small price to pay.

fl1madmax
09-03-2014, 09:49 AM

My questions are

my neighbor lowered his $550 but when he comes home we have to 90 degree turns to get to out street, and he scrapes floor boards every time, you just can't lean over like you can with Stock height. try seat first........

wantone
09-03-2014, 01:43 PM
my neighbor lowered his $550 but when he comes home we have to 90 degree turns to get to out street, and he scrapes floor boards every time, you just can't lean over like you can with Stock height. try seat first........

Good thing I'm not installing floor boards :icon_razz:

RcBtx1999
09-03-2014, 07:44 PM

My questions are

It gets better!!! A whole lot better!

Steve 0080
09-03-2014, 10:06 PM
IMHO...using the Progressive Monotubes has/had no ill effects on the bike at all.... I think I drug the right side once in Franklin.... this is more about lean angle than the bike being closer to the ground....

motoman
09-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I hate to say this, and don't take it the wrong way, but you may be a good candidate for a Harley. :shock:

Harleys have the lowest seat height around, and are the most popular bike for shorter riders.

You'll never get back the $$$ you put into your F6, and you still may not be happy.

Maybe you've had one already, I don't know. But today, price and reliability are reasonable, and the sound system, paint, and GPS are second to none. Some now have water-cooled heads.

Just sayin'. :icon_wink:

Another excellent bike you might want to look at is the Moto Guzzi California 1400. Everybody who rides one loves it.

XKnight
09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Another excellent bike you might want to look at is the Moto Guzzi California 1400. Everybody who rides one loves it.

Great bike, but with a stock 29" seat height he'll be in the same or worse situation.

Hot04NRX
09-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad you and the F6B are OK. I am glad you started this thread as I have been considering the F6B, and I have now heard the responses I need. I have a 2004 Rune that I love but it is not practical for me now. Ride height is great for me. I am having a difficult time of selling it but I think it is the right move.

I have a 29" inseam, can reach the ground on the F6B but not quite as flat footed as I have become accustomed to. I may have to change the seat to the Mustang, we'll see!

As other have said, I would start with the Mustang seat, since you are getting it anyway and see how that works. You can always add changes after that and you may feel that you do not need them.....

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Injun Joe
09-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad you and the F6B are OK. I am glad you started this thread as I have been considering the F6B, and I have now heard the responses I need. I have a 2004 Rune that I love but it is not practical for me now. Ride height is great for me. I am having a difficult time of selling it but I think it is the right move.

I have a 29" inseam, can reach the ground on the F6B but not quite as flat footed as I have become accustomed to. I may have to change the seat to the Mustang, we'll see!

As other have said, I would start with the Mustang seat, since you are getting it anyway and see how that works. You can always add changes after that and you may feel that you do not need them.....

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I think it would have to be a matter of life and death for me to part with a Rune.

Jimmytee
09-05-2014, 05:35 PM
I guess I'm just too fat, :icon_rolleyes: because at 5'8" tall and a 30" inseam, I have no problems with the F6B seat height. Yeah,my feet are not solidly flat footing all the time, but I'm pretty stout with very strong lower and upper body. This F6B feels like a toy compared to manipulating my Valk around which is loaded down with Woody's fairing. saddlebags, chrome rails around the saddlebags. Then I can pretty easily lift either one as well. Hope not to have to with the F6B, but have had a couple of such occurrences with the Valk. One was on an incline,steep dead end road, while trying to turn around ,the gravel let my right foot slide and over I went. The other happened 3 years ago when a dumbass pulled out in front of me and I had to put her in a slide to avoid a t-bone incident.

XKnight
09-05-2014, 06:20 PM
I guess I'm just too fat, :icon_rolleyes: because at 5'8" tall and a 30" inseam, I have no problems with the F6B seat height.

I believe the OP is 5'-4" so his inseam is probably less than 30". Like you, I have a 30" inseam and was almost flat footed with the stock seat and am totally flat footed with the 1" lower Mustang seat. Once the bike is rolling none of it matters anymore, but it sure is nice to have the stability of being able to put my feet down all the way at stops and it sure helps when maneuvering the bike in gravel parking lots. I've never owned a bike that I couldn't flat foot so can't relate to the folks that ride on tippy toes.

Hot04NRX
09-05-2014, 06:22 PM
I think it would have to be a matter of life and death for me to part with a Rune.

Yep, that's kinda how I feel but between the last rear brake service 8437, 2010 and now, I have only put on 800 miles. Kinda sucks always riding by myself. Looks great in the garage though. Its an expensive sculpture. :shock:

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread Wantone!

Jimmytee
09-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Hey,shouldn't you change your name from Wantone to Gotone?:shrug:

wantone
09-05-2014, 10:01 PM

:icon_biggrin:

Phantom
09-05-2014, 10:07 PM

:icon_biggrin:

just send me a PM if you want your board name changed to gotone :cheers:

srt8-in-largo
09-05-2014, 11:54 PM
:lolup:

Jimmytee
09-06-2014, 05:17 AM
I believe the OP is 5'-4" so his inseam is probably less than 30". Like you, I have a 30" inseam and was almost flat footed with the stock seat and am totally flat footed with the 1" lower Mustang seat. Once the bike is rolling none of it matters anymore, but it sure is nice to have the stability of being able to put my feet down all the way at stops and it sure helps when maneuvering the bike in gravel parking lots. I've never owned a bike that I couldn't flat foot so can't relate to the folks that ride on tippy toes.

I have contemplated the Mustang seat, but a couple of things are holding me back.

I could appreciate a lower seat height for the obvious reason most want it, but riding my bike with the stock seat, I have to wonder how that lower seat height will affect my comfort level while riding? With the stock seat height, it feels pretty natural with my feet on the pegs. I also have Kury IIIs to stretch out too. I would be concerned that the lower seat height would maybe feel more cramped while actually riding. I dunno. :shrug: What do you think?

The other thing would be my love of having a proper back support. The other day I rode my Valkyrie for the first time in awhile. It has been sitting mostly since I purchased my F6B in July. I knew,but didn't realize, how much more comfortable my Valkyrie is. My Valkyrie has Ultimate King Big Boy seat with rider and passenger back rests. With my feet up on the highway pegs, leaning back on the backrest, it feels like a 100 hp lazyboy.:clap2: All this to say I know that I want a similar feel when all said and done with the seating on the F6B.

Another member here has custom fit a Utopia back rest to his Mustang seat, so that could be an answer . Kind of leaning towards the Ultimate seat though, hoping the experience would be similar to my Valkyrie. I absolutely love the looks of the Corbin seats, but worried my butt and my passenger's butt wouldn't be as appreciative of the "firm" seat foam that Corbin uses.

So other than seat height to ground, what's your impressions of the overall comfort and seat peg relationship?

Just a side note. When I came back from the ride on my Valkyrie, I told my wife that riding the Valkyrie, I feel like a "BIKER" with it's six into six Cobra exhaust and flamboyant nature. On the F6B, well,,,, more like a "motorcyclist":icon_lol:

XKnight
09-06-2014, 09:01 AM
I have contemplated the Mustang seat, but a couple of things are holding me back.

I could appreciate a lower seat height for the obvious reason most want it, but riding my bike with the stock seat, I have to wonder how that lower seat height will affect my comfort level while riding? With the stock seat height, it feels pretty natural with my feet on the pegs. I also have Kury IIIs to stretch out too. I would be concerned that the lower seat height would maybe feel more cramped while actually riding. I dunno. :shrug: What do you think?

The other thing would be my love of having a proper back support. The other day I rode my Valkyrie for the first time in awhile. It has been sitting mostly since I purchased my F6B in July. I knew,but didn't realize, how much more comfortable my Valkyrie is. My Valkyrie has Ultimate King Big Boy seat with rider and passenger back rests. With my feet up on the highway pegs, leaning back on the backrest, it feels like a 100 hp lazyboy.:clap2: All this to say I know that I want a similar feel when all said and done with the seating on the F6B.

Another member here has custom fit a Utopia back rest to his Mustang seat, so that could be an answer . Kind of leaning towards the Ultimate seat though, hoping the experience would be similar to my Valkyrie. I absolutely love the looks of the Corbin seats, but worried my butt and my passenger's butt wouldn't be as appreciative of the "firm" seat foam that Corbin uses.

So other than seat height to ground, what's your impressions of the overall comfort and seat peg relationship?

Just a side note. When I came back from the ride on my Valkyrie, I told my wife that riding the Valkyrie, I feel like a "BIKER" with it's six into six Cobra exhaust and flamboyant nature. On the F6B, well,,,, more like a "motorcyclist":icon_lol:

I definitely understand your concerns and had similar ones before ordering the Mustang seat. I don't feel at all cramped on this seat. In fact, I now sit completely against the back of the seat and feel like I'm more in the bike instead of on top of it like the stock seat. Also, the Mustang has the best back support of any seat without an add on back rest that I've ever owned. With the Mustang seat I don't need an aftermarket backrest anymore. It's really that good, at least for me. I have the Rivco Aero pegs and can reach them with no problem. between the back support and being able to pace my feet on the pegs, highway cruising has become a dream. I didn't think it possible, but the F6B has become my most comfortable bike.

I've had Corbin and Ultimate seats before on other bikes nd both companies are excellent. The Corbin seats have always been firmer than the others, which I didn't mind, but others don't care for the extra firmness. The Ultimate seats were fantastic in comfort and quality. I would say they are comparable to Mustang and probably my favorite overall seat company. If Ultimate had offered a low rider seat for the F6B I would have bought it over the Mustang. That being said, if you're looking for a great F6B seat that will lower you and offer back support then the Mustang is the way to go.

Crazy Dave
09-20-2014, 12:06 AM
What he said..growing up with 250's 450's, 750's 1200's in the 70's The royal star 1300 didn't gel with my brain stem muscle memory. I've down sized & couldn't be happier..just reflex control & much much more relaxed & confident..just saying...

Bunny
09-21-2014, 12:04 PM
What he said..growing up with 250's 450's, 750's 1200's in the 70's The royal star 1300 didn't gel with my brain stem muscle memory. I've down sized & couldn't be happier..just reflex control & much much more relaxed & confident..just saying...

have the same problem with not having the flat feet. this is the main reason i dont have an F6B yet - but after looking further nto things could i not customize the stock seat by shaving down some of the foam where the seat is very wide thus making my feet being able to touch flat - let me know your thoughts o that please.

tiltingf6b
11-28-2016, 08:29 AM

I thought (I) was vertically challenged :yikes: Your post gives my 29" inseam and 5'7" body new confidence.

wantone
11-28-2016, 01:09 PM
I started this thread 2 yrs ago. Since then F6b has been totaled. I wanted to get get back on F6b but decided to go with Indian chieftain due to seat height on F6b. I traded my chieftain for Street glide special and have enjoyed traveling across US this summer. I've put 11000 miles on SG in less than 3 months of owning it. Only thing I added to it is reverse kit by motor trike and I love it. I'm short and pushing back this 800+ lb bike is a major work out.

I've found perfect seat height for me to be on Victory cross country. Hated tht it had a very stiff clutch. Tried easy pull clutch and didn't like it. Rode for 6 months and traded tht for F6b.

Crazyhorse
11-28-2016, 03:11 PM
I started this thread 2 yrs ago. Since then F6b has been totaled. I wanted to get get back on F6b but decided to go with Indian chieftain due to seat height on F6b. I traded my chieftain for Street glide special and have enjoyed traveling across US this summer. I've put 11000 miles on SG in less than 3 months of owning it. Only thing I added to it is reverse kit by motor trike and I love it. I'm short and pushing back this 800+ lb bike is a major work out.

I've found perfect seat height for me to be on Victory cross country. Hated tht it had a very stiff clutch. Tried easy pull clutch and didn't like it. Rode for 6 months and traded tht for F6b.

Loving my F6B and the Mustang seat. However I have not found a bike that fits me better than my 99 Valk but I did have to make some modifications. 1999 Valk with 155000 on the clock.