PDA

View Full Version : Hope we get retrofit kit-cruise control

wantone
09-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Well I hope we can retrofit the cruise control from new 2015 F6B. I really hope Honda comes out with retro fit kit soon for 2013 and 14 models.

Scotrod
09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
How much would you pay for the kit?

Bike44
09-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Surely the components (cruise/throttle control unit, cabling and mounting, switch gear) from the GL1800 will cross over? Or maybe it takes ECM programming or replacement as well?

Edit: Examples>

http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4839062&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=206587
http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4838906&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=206587

wantone
09-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Surely the components (cruise/throttle control unit, cabling and mounting, switch gear) from the GL1800 will cross over? Or maybe it takes ECM programming or replacement as well?

Edit: Examples>

http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4839062&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=206587
http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4838906&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=206587

Nope. I just called Russellville and they said it's not possible.

Scotrod
09-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Anything is possible,,, WHAT would you PAY for this kit??

hiflyer
09-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them price this high or even not make a kit readily available. Keep people from adding it, so as to not affect new bike sales. Seen it happen in the aviation industry dozens of times. In fact, Piper had a mod that they put on an airplane to increase gross weight and they refused to make it available as a retrofit to the older airplanes. It's stock on the new ones, and the only way to get it is to buy the new model.

Jimmytee
09-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Not to be Debbie Downer, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them price this high or even not make a kit readily available. Keep people from adding it, so as to not affect new bike sales. Seen it happen in the aviation industry dozens of times. In fact, Piper had a mod that they put on an airplane to increase gross weight and they refused to make it available as a retrofit to the older airplanes. It's stock on the new ones, and the only way to get it is to buy the new model.

Not from Honda, but there already are a couple of options to add electronic cruise control right? I may look into one of them myself. Not a high priority though.

wantone
09-04-2014, 04:57 PM

IDK. But I just called Honda and the customer rep said it is very unlikely. And I just bought my F6B 2 weeks ago. I'm really pissed. Cuz I really want to hold on to this bike for a long time. Anyways I guess cannot do anything. I'll check into -------- option. Better to spend 1k than trade and loose 3 to 4 grand. I'll try to find someone who is willing to install -------- for $300 to $400

Also We don't know how much reliable -------- is or how it performs compared to factory one. It SUCKS !!!:cus:

Jimmytee
09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
IDK. But I just called Honda and the customer rep said it is very unlikely. And I just bought my F6B 2 weeks ago. I'm really pissed. Cuz I really want to hold on to this bike for a long time. Anyways I guess cannot do anything. I'll check into -------- option. Better to spend 1k than trade and loose 3 to 4 grand. I'll try to find someone who is willing to install -------- for $300 to $400

Also We don't know how much reliable -------- is or how it performs compared to factory one. It SUCKS !!!:cus:

I wouldn't be too upset. Didn't you buy a 13 like I did? I got a really good deal. You did buy it without cruise and it was ok. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. You had to know , at least I did, that the cruise was gonna come with a new model. I'm not surprised in the least. It has been one of the biggest griefs I've heard, and Honda too, about the F6Bs. Honda lost a lot of potential sales just for that reason.

As far as adding the cruise, I may think about the Rostra or the MC Cruise. Either way I'd still be money ahead of having waited for a 2015 model. As far as reliability, I know lots of Valkyrie owners who have added electronic cruise with great results.

srt8-in-largo
09-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Rostra for about $250. F6B OEM cruise control bar buttons for ~$100. 8 hours on a weekend. Done.

rumble-b
09-05-2014, 04:52 AM

-------- have been making Cruise Controls for the Auto industry for quite a while over here and i have never heard any bad reports.

Jimmytee
09-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Rostra for about $250. F6B OEM cruise control bar buttons for ~$100. 8 hours on a weekend. Done.

Have you done the Rostra? Write up?

jkelley
09-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Have you done the Rostra? Write up?

It's been done in very good detail on another thread by bstroh59. He did a great job with pictures, and was very helpful to me when I did mine.
I would suggest a service manual though so you can understand the electrical, ands I needed to see how the darn thing came apart.
If you are like me and never in my life worked on a goldwing it's likely to take more than 8 hours though. I have about $400 total in mine. The MC Cruise comes with the brackets needed and the electrical is much simpler I understand.

My Rostra works great, I also have heard the MC unit works just as well.

And NO I doubt there will be a kit from Honda to retrofit. Also to answer a previous poster, no you can not simply buy regular Goldwing stuff and have it work on your F6B, the wiring harness is completely different, and even the cruise boss is not on the throttle cable hook up on the throttle body. That bracket has to be made for the Rostra while the -------- unit comes with it. Personally from what I have read I would go -------- for simplicity, But if you have the tools and equipment to handle making the brackets, and don't mind splicing into your electrical system in several places the Rostra works fine for less $'s.

Massroll
09-05-2014, 06:08 AM
You can spend your whole life chasing the newest gadget, but if you do you will never be happy, cause new gadgets never stop coming out. Would I like cruise control. Yes. Am i "pissed" that Honda is offering it now on the 2015s, 2 months after I bought my 2013 F6BD. Nope. Not even a little bit. Got a great price on my bike, and I think it is, as we Bostonite's like to say, "Wicked pissah!"

I put a lot of thought into my purchase and don't regret a thing. There will always be a new shiny thing that someone else has that you don't. Oh well, life goes on. :icon_biggrin:

jkelley
09-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Tell you what. I am NO expert. I have been working on bikes, and restoring cars most of my life. Although most of my bikes were Harleys I have had mine apart for paint, and cruise installation and I do 100% all of my own maint just like several of you. A dealer will never touch my machine, I simply don't have the trust in any of them locally. I see there are several people from Tennessee, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

If a few forum members want to get together at my plant in Brevard NC, and someone will buy and bring an -------- kit I / we will install it so everyone interested can see what it takes, and hopefully we can share the know how, and have it spread around so every one that wants cruise can have a resource to lean on or call. I will not assume any liability, but offer this up as I have had several people asking and know the frustration of wanting an option that should have been on these bikes out of the gate. Hell we might be able to do a few at one time?

Injun Joe
09-05-2014, 08:18 AM
You can spend your whole life chasing the newest gadget, but if you do you will never be happy, cause new gadgets never stop coming out.

For some, chasing the newest gadget IS what makes them happy. I kind of get that because in general, I'm a gadget guy. An inconsistency for me is that I like my motorcycles fairly stripped down. The F6B actually has MORE gadgets than I normally would like... but I'm getting used to them. :icon_wink:

* For some people, it's complaining that makes them happy. I don't get that. But whatever.

Injun Joe
09-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Tell you what. I am NO expert. I have been working on bikes, and restoring cars most of my life. Although most of my bikes were Harleys I have had mine apart for paint, and cruise installation and I do 100% all of my own maint just like several of you. A dealer will never touch my machine, I simply don't have the trust in any of them locally. I see there are several people from Tennessee, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

If a few forum members want to get together at my plant in Brevard NC, and someone will buy and bring an -------- kit I / we will install it so everyone interested can see what it takes, and hopefully we can share the know how, and have it spread around so every one that wants cruise can have a resource to lean on or call. I will not assume any liability, but offer this up as I have had several people asking and know the frustration of wanting an option that should have been on these bikes out of the gate. Hell we might be able to do a few at one time?

What a kind and generous offer! You've become my new forum hero. No, I'm not personally interested in cruise control. But I love your willingness to help and mentor. Now if I lived closer and you were into helibars...