PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on the best passenger backrest & luggage rack

cosborn
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum but I've already got a heap of info from people out there willing to help, many thanks.

I live in AU and my current bike is a 2004 BM 1150 RT which i have put 125,000 km over the past four years including around Australia (19,000k)with separate trips to Darwin and Alice springs and Adelaide (10,000k). as you may imagine, the BM wants a rest and I'm looking at a new F6B (about $29,000au).

I have already decided on a centre stand and a larger screen. I'm interested in your opinions on the medium size screen as i think the original for my type of riding is too small and the large is a bit too high.

I have decided not to include the factory passenger backrest at some (800 au plus fitting) but i would like to here any suggestions that you may have, including links, regarding a backrest and rear luggage rack that may be available in the US or elsewhere. TA

Back in 75 i had one of the original 4 cylinder gold wing 1000 which was fantastic and i'm sure the F6B will suit me perfectly.8278

Regards and best Chris

rumble-b
09-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum from another Aussie. There are a number of different rear racks including Mp3, Show Chrome, however , good luck getting a passenger back rest other than the OEM one. As far as i know, ( please correct me, anyone , if i'm wrong ) but no one makes one. Probably due to the unusual way it mounts. I bit the bullet and bought the Honda one for ( $700). As for the bike itself, you should be able to pick one up cheaper than $29000. Mine was $22000, ride away and included a centre stand. The taller screen is all down to personal preference. I was happy with the short one until i made up my taller one. It changes the whole feel of the ride and i wouldn't go back now. Good luck.

PS We have a number of friends who live in Canberra. You've got some great roads to ride up there. We were up there in March on the bikes.

ReserveBum
09-06-2014, 07:05 AM
I bought the seat back extender and a Corbin backrest off forum members, so there are some options22942295

cosborn
09-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys, i guess the backrest isn't critical at the moment, I still have to buy the bike and sell my RT.
Still not sure what trade in the dealer will give me on the RT, he seems a bit cagey about it but i won't be giving it away for nothing.

Cheers Chris

rumble-b, you are just down the road, may be we can catch up sometime!

rumble-b
09-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys, i guess the backrest isn't critical at the moment, I still have to buy the bike and sell my RT.
Still not sure what trade in the dealer will give me on the RT, he seems a bit cagey about it but i won't be giving it away for nothing.

Cheers Chris

rumble-b, you are just down the road, may be we can catch up sometime!

LOL Just down the road by Aussie standards :icon_biggrin: I've been into the Honda dealer in Canberra....lots of nice toys in there. They had a Red F6B in there that a mate of mine from McArthur was going to take for a ride. He decided not too just in case he liked it....he REALLY loves his Thunderbird and MT-01 and doesn't want to get rid of either. I warned him that once he'd ridden the F6B he'd have to have one.

Denisr
09-07-2014, 02:26 AM
Hi I am new as well and just picked my 6 up last week from CMC in Canberra, put a deposit on it before a test ride because of the price as it was a 2013 model. Took a 2014 model for a ride and then signed on the dotted line. Just got back from a loop through Murrumburra for lunch then Young, Boorowa and back home. The wife loves the seat and the OEM backrest and started to doze off it was so comfortable. Absolutely love this bike. The tall OEM windscreen in my opinion is a must, the short one was just to noisy for me.

bigbird
09-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I bought the seat back extender and a Corbin backrest off forum members, so there are some options83128313

Any idea what model or part # that Corbin backrest is?
Did its bolt holes match up with the Ultimate extender bolt holes, or did you have to fabricate?
My wife would also like a larger backrest than the Honda accessory backrest that is now on my bike.

cosborn
09-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Hi Denisr, Was it the yellow or red one. I think they were better priced, when i spoke to CMC about the 2014 model with taller screen, centre stand and backrest.....which i think should all be standard, the price was around the 29. At that price i would want a good trade in for the RT. Will give you a wave if i see you around.

I will probably pick up a black one within the next month or so. My riding partner who has just sold his BM R100RT and replaced it with a Silver wing (you do this when you get old) is trying to get me to do the around Aust thing again, I think the F6B would take it in its stride.

By the way what does OEM stand for and did you end up with the standard Honda backrest?

Just by the by, talking about Canada as we were, that will be my next ride, lovely country, had the opportunity to be there a number of times with the Army. Alberta 1975, London Ontario 80s and 90s with DDGM.

Best Chris

bigbird
09-07-2014, 09:28 PM
By the way what does OEM stand for and did you end up with the standard Honda backrest?

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

The OEM for anything to do with an F6B is Honda

rumble-b
09-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Hi Denisr, Was it the yellow or red one. I think they were better priced, when i spoke to CMC about the 2014 model with taller screen, centre stand and backrest.....which i think should all be standard, the price was around the 29. At that price i would want a good trade in for the RT. Will give you a wave if i see you around.

I will probably pick up a black one within the next month or so. My riding partner who has just sold his BM R100RT and replaced it with a Silver wing (you do this when you get old) is trying to get me to do the around Aust thing again, I think the F6B would take it in its stride.

Just by the by, talking about Canada as we were, that will be my next ride, lovely country, had the opportunity to be there a number of times with the Army. Alberta 1975, London Ontario 80s and 90s with DDGM.

Best Chris

I know this is in Melbourne but it is $10000 cheaper. Demo model. Even with shipping to Canberra its a good deal. http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/AG-AD-483635/2013-Honda-Goldwing-F6B-(GL1800B)?cr=0&psq=(((Make%3D%5BHonda%5D)%26(Model%3D%5BGoldwing% 20F6B%20(GL1800B)%5D))%26(((((SiloType%3D%5BBrand% 20new%20bikes%20available%5D)%7C(SiloType%3D%5BBra nd%20new%20bikes%20in%20stock%5D))%7C(SiloType%3D% 5BDealer%20used%20bikes%5D))%7C(SiloType%3D%5BDemo %20%26%20near%20new%20bikes%5D))%7C(SiloType%3D%5B Private%20used%20bikes%5D)))%26(Service%3D%5BBikes ales%5D)&pso=0&pss=Premium

Ebony Deluxe
09-08-2014, 12:38 AM

Corbin backrest, had them extend to a peak, and reinforce oem bracket. All done in Hollister.

bigbird
09-08-2014, 06:40 AM

Corbin backrest, had them extend to a peak, and reinforce oem bracket. All done in Hollister.

Corbin makes what, 2 dozen different backrests? I couldn't identify yours from their website.
OK, a custom job.

ReserveBum
09-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Any idea what model or part # that Corbin backrest is?
Did its bolt holes match up with the Ultimate extender bolt holes, or did you have to fabricate?
My wife would also like a larger backrest than the Honda accessory backrest that is now on my bike.
Bought the extender from a member here and it fits without modification. Also the Corbin fits. Has the same bolt pattern as stock seat

Steve 0080
09-08-2014, 09:24 AM
I should have this up on Ebay by this Friday the 12th....... if people chose not to go thru Ebay and by thru the board should be able to save $5...which saves me $5 I won't have to pay to Ebay....

Direct copy of the OEM, with the exception of the center hole behind the pad.....

Ebony Deluxe
09-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Corbin makes what, 2 dozen different backrests? I couldn't identify yours from their website.
OK, a custom job.

The Corbin people will make to your liking, on this job I didn't like stubby round look on top, so I had them raise to a point. By raising the pad, they had to reinforce the bracket, so it would not flex. All the extra bells and whistles at no cost. You just have to go in person.

bigbird
09-08-2014, 01:15 PM
The Corbin people will make to your liking, on this job I didn't like stubby round look on top, so I had them raise to a point. By raising the pad, they had to reinforce the bracket, so it would not flex. All the extra bells and whistles at no cost. You just have to go in person.

Thank you. I'll likely have to get a custom backrest made by a local upholsterer. Corbin will be way too expensive.

Jimmytee
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Ultimate seat for the F6B can be bought that fits their backrest into the seat. No OEM bracket needed.

cosborn
09-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys,
Rumble bee, If i didn't have the RT to sell first i think i would grab that one, right colour and milage, oh well.

Schnapps
09-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Here's my solution and, no I didn't want a GoldWing either. I figured that if the only way to get the Mrs. or kids on the bike was to make it comfortable (and have lots of room for the "stuff" the Mrs. will buy), I'd better sacrifice some of the great looks/lines and go for function over form.
Here is it:84208421842284238424

The rack that supports the case is from Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/steel-rack-top-rack-for-honda-f6b-13
Order the mounting hardware from Twisted as well.

The big ass case is from Givi http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monokey-cases/e460n-46ltr-matte-black-case-detail
They also sell the backrest for the case.

When I ride by myself I have only the hardware mounts sticking up on the rack. Not for everyone (anyone?) but it'll work for me.

I apologize in advance if I screwed up the links - rookie here.

cosborn
09-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Schnapps, I'm impressed with the Givi, do you happen to have any side on shots? price is certainly good and i love the clean lines of the mounting.

Rumble bee, you should not have sent me the link to Peter Stevens in Melbourne. They are now preparing to send the bike up to Canberra, I was happy with the price, thanks very much.

Chris

rumble-b
09-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Schnapps, I'm impressed with the Givi, do you happen to have any side on shots? price is certainly good and i love the clean lines of the mounting.

Rumble bee, you should not have sent me the link to Peter Stevens in Melbourne. They are now preparing to send the bike up to Canberra, I was happy with the price, thanks very much.

Chris

Chis , glad i could help. I'm always happy to help spend other peoples money.:icon_lol: Make sure you post some pics when you get it.

Schnapps
09-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Here you are ...843284338434

The Givi case is supposed to hold 2 full size helmets; it's a big boy. But I don't think it looks too big because the bike has a BIG booty.

cosborn
09-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Looks good mate, thanks very much

Chris

Denisr
09-11-2014, 03:29 AM

Best Chris

Hi Chris, got the red one nearly $23000 without the extras, OEM is original equipment manufacturer and I got the standard Honda backrest.

Cheers Denis

srt8-in-largo
09-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the new bike!

Are controls different in left-hand drive countries versus right-hand drive countries? Throttle and front brake on the right handlebar... clutch on the left.

cosborn
09-12-2014, 03:08 AM
Give us a break George. You guys are the ones who have everything back to front. Whoever herd of driving on the right hand side of the road, could be bloody dangerous if you ask me.

Cheers and best wishes....Chris

sorry bout taking the piss

cosborn
09-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Its arriving next week from Melbourne!

all your fault rumble-b, can't wait

Chris

rumble-b
09-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Its arriving next week from Melbourne!

all your fault rumble-b, can't wait

Chris

:biggthumpup:'riding'

kjelders
09-12-2014, 08:37 AM
My passenger backrest setup is a F6B Driver Utopia backrest. One of the members here on the forum milled a bracket to attach to the Honda OEM bracket. The Utopia backrest has up and down and forward and back adjustments.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8558&d=1410528883
http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8559&d=1410528887
http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8556&d=1410528875

srt8-in-largo
09-12-2014, 01:45 PM
:shock:

One crazy Aussie at large; call police if spotted.

:icon_biggrin:

cosborn
09-12-2014, 05:22 PM
kjelders, love the backrest and the seat, looks tough enough to survive anything.

What are the details of the seat?

Will be away for a couple of days, have an Army dining-in with the Bemboka Troop of the 7th Light Horse @ the Merimbula RSL club, catch you when I get back..

Chris

Steve 0080
09-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Here is the riser you are looking for.... 3 in the mail today...the first day!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL-1800-Honda-F6B-Backrest-riser-F6B-/111460674686?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f392ec7e&vxp=mtr

Plan B
09-14-2014, 02:32 PM
hello

I talked to my workshop. Then I made a drawing and commissioned a driver backrest from the GW.
The plant has saturated everything done the way I wanted and this is the result.

Greetings Oliver

cosborn
09-14-2014, 05:03 PM
That looks like the go Oliver, my wife would certainly be happy with a substantial backrest.

By the way guys, and yes I'm still waiting delivery of my "B". I want to order a centre stand (still can't believe that Honda left it off) does the bike come ready to fit the stand without having to alter anything?????? I'm assuming that it does but I know I shouldn't assume anything. Secondly, can i fit it myself or do you reckon that I leave it up to the dealer??? there go, two more questions.

Cheers and happy riding

Chris

srt8-in-largo
09-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Yep... the center stand is a simple bolt on. You can do it very easily yourself; there is no need to remove any covers, just lay down next to the bike and bolt it on.

The most difficult part is getting the spring on.

cosborn
09-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks George, I'll get my wife to do the spring bit

Chris

srt8-in-largo
09-14-2014, 06:15 PM
:icon_biggrin: Good man.

A quick search should find you a couple of suggestions:

1. Use about 20 coins to expand the spring, inserting the coins one at a time until the spring is long enough to attach on the spring hooks.

or

2. Use a drum brake spring tool... which is purposefully made to expand springs.

Exciting times; have fun waiting on your bike!

bigbird
09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Yep... the center stand is a simple bolt on. You can do it very easily yourself; there is no need to remove any covers, just lay down next to the bike and bolt it on.

The most difficult part is getting the spring on.

And remember that the 10mm flange bolt that holds it all together has a left hand thread.

cosborn
09-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Ta, good advice, I'll pass it on to she who must be obeyed.

As a point of interest i have just priced the Honda backrest ($784, the rear rack $420 and mounting hardware $238) I think i will go elsewhere.

Chris

Steve 0080
09-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Ta, good advice, I'll pass it on to she who must be obeyed.

As a point of interest i have just priced the Honda backrest ($784, the rear rack $420 and mounting hardware $238) I think i will go elsewhere.

Chris

WOW!!! About $600 total in US monies....

cosborn
09-15-2014, 01:32 AM
Currently, $1297.39 US

Chris

cosborn
09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
I just got word that the bike is being picked up in Melbourne on the 17th and delivered to me 800km away on the 30 Sep, oh well, i can still sit on the RT and pretend.

Chris

Steve 0080
09-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Well at least you have a date..... it will be worth the wait!!!!

Kawi69
09-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi kjelders, Which member made the bracket for the Utopia back rest. I'm thinking of going that route as well.
Thanks for any help in this matter. Ohh whats the cost??

cosborn
09-17-2014, 01:58 AM
Well the B isn't being delivered till the 30 Sep, but do you think I'm getting this a bit back to front?

I've never had a bike without a centre stand!

Chris

cosborn
09-17-2014, 02:09 AM
Guys, I'm looking for installation instructions for the Honda centre stand and other accessories if available.
I just looked up a previous post but have had no luck as the links through Yahoo won't let me in.

Any help here would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

kjelders
09-17-2014, 08:05 AM
kjelders, love the backrest and the seat, looks tough enough to survive anything.

What are the details of the seat?

Will be away for a couple of days, have an Army dining-in with the Bemboka Troop of the 7th Light Horse @ the Merimbula RSL club, catch you when I get back..

Chris

Sorry for the late response.

The seat is the Mustang Tripper Fastback Deluxe (Tuck and Roll Center) (http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/76841/Honda-2013-2014-Gold-Wing-F6B-Tripper-Fastback-Deluxe-Tuck-and-Roll-Center)

d-shark
09-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Installed the Adjustable Passenger Backrest tonight and took a few photos:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/PyVXMDkWcsqENHV7leKmloorDQhnbLGhT0lIdjfCNp0=w296-h221-p-no
Removing stock bracket to install Adjustable Bracket on left. Stock bracket is 0.15 inches thick.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/dVS7IkyTY5TNi1JMSI3nUjVBUkn6lctDVlPnBH5BE8o=w296-h221-p-no
Adjustable backrest bracket attached. Adjustable bracket is 0.25 inches thick (sturdy).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/oWnA4UfHGwL1_claIqpVvOC9U2F2V-JCfdoGrTR3XK4=w296-h221-p-no
Back cover attached to backrest with Adjustable Bracket. Note access to Spring Loaded adjustment pin. There are 6 height adjustment positions.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/lx6rshQ_xQjd1JLJ3WcalmUAIRL-F0TFlgc5hvywJZ0=w270-h202-p-no
Backrest Full Up position: 5.25 inches above stock position.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/QW5tYjqMN2CSQ4CapBs3lZsOe1RmtPHiw9lU04cDLx4=w276-h207-p-no
Backrest Full Down position: 1.50 inches above stock.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6tHZLfzHyeFamiaYY9DBBTr3tF81ei_BouihQqN9poU=w270-h202-p-no
Backrest Full Up position: 5.25 inches above stock.

Overall first impressions:

As you see in the Full Down position the backrest sits 1.50 inches above stock to provide access to the adjustment pin. The adjustment pin does not actually come all the way out, it's spring loaded so just pull it out far enough to adjust up or down to any one of 6 positions. Full Up position is 5.25 inches above stock (can't imagine anyone would need more height after sitting on it).

The mounting post is painted Gloss Black (Flat Black would have been better but it's not that noticable). Looks like powder coat but not positive. The post is sturdy yet small enough to be elegant in appearance. The receiver portion attached to the backrest has a flat leaf spring inside that applies pressure to the post to prevent rattling (looks like this will do the job).

Overall my initial impressions are very positive for $150.00 plus $14.00 UPS. For more information and availability call Storm Lake Honda, Storm Lake, IA. Ask for Cory in parts, 712-732-2460.

d-shark
09-17-2014, 07:54 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c18AkydKvYw/VBodOBNQH2I/AAAAAAAABHQ/pA8u_UhaCfI/w1153-h865-no/IMG_20140917_180543.jpg

Full Up position.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AIN2FJazHBw/VBod6z3JMLI/AAAAAAAABIg/bZY4FwyQah4/w1153-h865-no/IMG_20140917_180924.jpg

Full Down position.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NPYp6RIfUcA/VBodknCvGtI/AAAAAAAABH0/5id2afhsW9k/w649-h865-no/IMG_20140917_180652.jpg

Full Up position close up from the rear.

Ridlikhel
09-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Calling for one tomorrow. Momma wants comfort and I want momma happy!

Tedubya
09-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Looks like I have another mood to add to the list this winter.

Thanks Doug for the info.

Todd

kjelders
09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Looks like I have another mood to add to the list this winter.

Thanks Doug for the info.

Todd

That's what winters are for right? :icon_cool:

d-shark
09-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Last weekend my girlfriend rode on the back for about 200 miles on Sunday and gave a big thumbs up to the Baker Hand Wings and new adjustable passenger backrest bracket. She said the Hand Wings reduced Head Buffeting at the passenger position. She liked the Backrest at it's midway position, said she did not have to grab the handrails when I rolled on the throttle.

Philcole
09-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Cosborn, you are in for the time of your life. You will love it. It is totally different to the RT and you will notice that as soon as you get on it.
Now that we have you, Rumble-b and another in Canberra, perhaps we should organise a F6B rally somewhere in the next 12 months. I have organised a few small get togethers for riders over the years. Happy to get one off the ground if you feel it would be fun to get together. i will contact Rumble-b too.
:icon_razz:

F6B1911
09-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Guys, I'm looking for installation instructions for the Honda centre stand and other accessories if available.
I just looked up a previous post but have had no luck as the links through Yahoo won't let me in.

Any help here would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Here's a link to the installation instructions:
http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08M70-MJG-670.pdf

cosborn
09-29-2014, 02:48 AM
A get together sounds like a great idea to me.

Bike arrives tomorrow yea

Chris

:icon_lol:

cosborn
09-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Appreciate the fitting instructions, many thanks at least now i won't try to attach it to the handle bars

Chris

rumble-b
09-29-2014, 07:31 AM
'all/right' Have fun on the new bike tomorrow. Remember to post some pics. Just a warning.......an Aussie rally..... with Phil Cole.......he sounds like trouble to me :icon_lol: Just joking. We've been mates for a number of years and been on quite a few rallies / rides together.

Wyked
10-16-2014, 01:51 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c18AkydKvYw/VBodOBNQH2I/AAAAAAAABHQ/pA8u_UhaCfI/w1153-h865-no/IMG_20140917_180543.jpg

Full Up position.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AIN2FJazHBw/VBod6z3JMLI/AAAAAAAABIg/bZY4FwyQah4/w1153-h865-no/IMG_20140917_180924.jpg

Full Down position.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NPYp6RIfUcA/VBodknCvGtI/AAAAAAAABH0/5id2afhsW9k/w649-h865-no/IMG_20140917_180652.jpg

Full Up position close up from the rear.

The price that you quoted from the dealership I assume was just for the bracket or did that include the backrest as well?

Ridlikhel
10-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Last weekend my girlfriend rode on the back for about 200 miles on Sunday and gave a big thumbs up to the Baker Hand Wings and new adjustable passenger backrest bracket. She said the Hand Wings reduced Head Buffeting at the passenger position. She liked the Backrest at it's midway position, said she did not have to grab the handrails when I rolled on the throttle.

D-Shark,

I purchase one of those back rests too and my wife loves it. Thanks for the tip.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac32/Drivlikhel/DSCN0212_zpsf8cc91ce.jpg (http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Drivlikhel/media/DSCN0212_zpsf8cc91ce.jpg.html)