PDA

View Full Version : Taller windscreen

GiddyupF6B
06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I love the profile of the lower windscreen but want one that is tinted and a little taller. Do you guys think the Cee Bailey 9 inch windscreesn will make any difference from the stock one as far as buffering? I'm 6'3 so I know I'm going to get knocked around a bit by wind anyway. If the 9 inch won't make a difference I'll just get the stock 6 inch tinted. Any opinions?

chipmaker
06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm 5"11" and have the CB 13", at speed the wind barely hits the top of my helmet. I see over it by at least 4". Not sure if that helps...

jkelley
06-17-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm over 6" and run the 15" Cee Bailies with no issues. At 6'3" you would need the 17" I would think?

GiddyupF6B
06-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys. I know a lot taller windscreen is what I would need to be fully protected from the wind. My question is will the 9 inch make any difference at all over the 6inch? I don't want to go taller than 9 because for me I don't like the look. I'm either going to order a 9inch tinted or if you guys don't think it will make a difference in wind buffering at all I will just save my money and get the stock one tinted.

Hornblower
06-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm 5"11" and have the CB 13", at speed the wind barely hits the top of my helmet. I see over it by at least 4". Not sure if that helps...

This is encouraging news since my CB 13" with vent is arriving via UPS later today. With my height of 5'10", I should think this choice will be about right. I'll know soon enough.

chipmaker
06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys. I know a lot taller windscreen is what I would need to be fully protected from the wind. My question is will the 9 inch make any difference at all over the 6inch? I don't want to go taller than 9 because for me I don't like the look. I'm either going to order a 9inch tinted or if you guys don't think it will make a difference in wind buffering at all I will just save my money and get the stock one tinted.

When I first got the bike, I didn't want to do any mods that would ruin the looks. But the wind at 75+mph is brutal for all day riding. I can't imagine that 3 more inches would make much difference. Some ladies may disagree...:iduno:

Mrf13
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I agree with you Giddyup
I like the looks of the stock windshield and its very effective for me. I'm 6' and the wind hits me from my mouth up.
I replaced it with 11" Baggershield and in the lowest position it's about as good as the stock. All the way up it barely hits the top of my head.
Just ordered 9" Cee Bailey.
The Baggershield looks like its Angled different than stock and the Cee Bailey looks like its shaped-angled like the stocker.
If it doesn't work I will get the stock tinted for summer riding.

Pedro66
06-17-2013, 08:15 PM
You can fit any of the stock GL1800 screens to our system we also have a new version without the electrical adjustment

http://www.bikemp3.com/GL1800-ELECTR...GW-XSC-001.htm

These screens are all but indestructible we always say the last screen you will ever need to buy, see the last video.

Mike
06-17-2013, 08:28 PM
I just ordered a nice windshield. http://wingstuff.com/products/35122-honda-f6b-11-sport-shield?context=windshields_accessories-f6b
I am 6' and the stock shield looks nice BUT not much help. When my wife and I ride. My helmet moves side to side when I hit about at 65-70mph. Real tough to handle. :yikes:
But I like the look of a shorter shiels. So when this shield came out, BAM! :021: I had to have it. Its the happy medium. 4" wider and 5-6 inches taller. Sure hope the wind vortex stops. :biker:

GiddyupF6B
06-17-2013, 09:25 PM
I agree with you Giddyup
I like the looks of the stock windshield and its very effective for me. I'm 6' and the wind hits me from my mouth up.
I replaced it with 11" Baggershield and in the lowest position it's about as good as the stock. All the way up it barely hits the top of my head.
Just ordered 9" Cee Bailey.
The Baggershield looks like its Angled different than stock and the Cee Bailey looks like its shaped-angled like the stocker.
If it doesn't work I will get the stock tinted for summer riding.

So why are you switching out from the 11 inch baggershield? It seems to have a great look and is 5 inches taller than the stock. It doesn't look as nice to me as the 9inch Cee B but its still sharp looking and if its functional why go shorter? I don't mind the look of the baggershield and if it has good wind protection that might be the one BUT if it isn't any better than the 9 inch Cee B than that one hands down for me wins in the styling department!

Mrf13
06-17-2013, 10:12 PM
The Baggershield doesn't look nearly as good as the stocker to me. The stock shield is really not that bad just needs tint. Gonna try the Cee Bailey 9". It looks to have the stock angle. If its close I may get the electric option for it. Really just wanna try the shield. Not a lot of options.

MNF6B
06-17-2013, 10:37 PM
I bought the 17-25" bagger shield screen. Keep in mind that this is measured with the extension top deployed. I have the shield in the lowest position and the top stowed behind the screen. The dark smoke screen measures 13" from the top of the screen to the rubber gasket. I am 5'7" and the air hits the top of my helmet. I have extended the clear top and then I am completely covered. I can see over the smoke shield without issue.

Rich

Darkknight
06-18-2013, 04:57 AM
I love the look of the stock wind screen but darker tint would look a bit nicer to me. I don't care for look of the taller screens like the regular goldwings.

I'm 5'10" 220lbs and I have an arthritic neck. The stock shield allows the wind to hit me around my upper torso to just below my neck, leaving my head and helmet in "clean" air. The only time my helmet "wobbles" is when I'm passing a semi or some other very large vehicle. Now it may be the aerodynamics of the helmet (Shoei Neotek) that make it comfortable in clean air.

I'm worried about the wind that is hitting me in the chest moving up with a taller shield. Just clipping the top of my helmet may be harder on my neck than catching the more turbulent wind on my torso.

I hate to call the tall shields "old man" shields especially since I'm in my 50's and some might say I fit that description, but I'm not ready for conventional wing. A taller shield would make listening to music easier but I just don't like the look of the taller shield.

I suppose if I really start to "Tour" with this bike I may want to change.
The bottom line is maybe as I accumulate miles I may choose function over form, but for now I'm staying stock.

GiddyupF6B
06-18-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm going to try the 9 inch Cee Bailey and see how that does for me. It looks awesome with the dark tint and flows well with the lines of the bike. I'm not ready for an "old man" shield yet either. All my friends are already teasing me about getting a Goldwing but I don't think they realize yet just exactly what I am getting. The F6B is a sleek, sexy, machine....not grandads wing from back in the day. They will soon see........nothing but my taillights! Lol

srkeet
06-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Giddyap,

Maybe one of the members who might have replaced their nine might let you 'test drive' it. Details to be worked out later.

I recently made a mistake buying one too short( i really AM an old guy). It would be nice to demo one before spending the big bucks. Both UTurn and i have 13- to 14 inchers for sale. But they may look too tall for you. The shorty windshield does look cool, but this old boy needs to protect his hearing with the tallest one he :icon_rolleyes:can barely see over.

Good luck and God bless!

srkeet

fast eddie
06-20-2013, 10:42 PM
I have a 9in opaque cee baily for sale i first bought a 13" made for a regular wing an was told it wouldnt fit so i ordered a 9 " well the 13 did work i put it on so i have the 9 " for sale never used. PM if interested

GiddyupF6B
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
I have a 9in opaque cee baily for sale i first bought a 13" made for a regular wing an was told it wouldnt fit so i ordered a 9 " well the 13 did work i put it on so i have the 9 " for sale never used. PM if interested

I already have one in the mail...wish I wound have known earlier. That my signals and new exhaust! Put my new foot pegs on today and got 2 keys made for a gas tank key mod I'm working on.

Memphian
06-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm going to try the 9 inch Cee Bailey and see how that does for me. It looks awesome with the dark tint and flows well with the lines of the bike. I'm not ready for an "old man" shield yet either. All my friends are already teasing me about getting a Goldwing but I don't think they realize yet just exactly what I am getting. The F6B is a sleek, sexy, machine....not grandads wing from back in the day. They will soon see........nothing but my taillights! Lol

I have the 9" Cee Bailey windshield and I love it. However what I like and what other riders like are more than likely not the same. I came from a Vtx 1800c that didn't have a shield at all so I'm use to the wind in my face.

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-21-2013, 11:57 PM
This is encouraging news since my CB 13" with vent is arriving via UPS later today. With my height of 5'10", I should think this choice will be about right. I'll know soon enough.

Hornblower: How did the 13" workout for you? If you posted I missed it. Inquiring minds want to know. :icon_question:

Hornblower
06-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Hornblower: How did the 13" workout for you? If you posted I missed it. Inquiring minds want to know. :icon_question:

Well, I just got back from a 1000-mile trip and I couldn't be happier with the 13" CB with vent (BTW, my height is 5'10"). It seems the choice of a windscreen is highly personal since we are often looking for different things. So, what I like you may not and vice-versa. Frankly, I wasn't all that crazy about the stock bagger-look windscreen and it did little to protect me from the elements and wind noise. OTOH, I did want to keep the profile reasonably low to go along with the overall design of the bike. That's how I came up with the 13" choice. The protection and reduction is wind noise is just what I hoped for. Now, whether or not the vent is part of why it works so well I can't say since I didn't try the 13" non-vented shield. I do believe the vent works by relieving the vortex behind the windscreen and resulting in a more laminar air flow, at least, that's what it feels like. Even though the top of the screen is far below my helmet face shield, I'm getting almost no bugs hitting my face shield. I'm loving that. Anyway, for me, I am completely happy with this choice of windscreens.