PDA

View Full Version : non-ethanol

olds34dude
09-06-2014, 08:47 PM
I haven't been low at the right time to get non-ethanol fuel yet, poor planning I guess, so I was wondering if anyone has been using it, if there has been a noted difference. On my last bike you could really tell a difference, noticed improvement almost immediately. Any views on this? D.

kentucky strong
09-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I wish I could get non ethanol fuel. I think the closest place is 100 plus miles from here. I could really use it on my vintage bikes. Ethanol sucks...........

motoman
09-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I haven't been low at the right time to get non-ethanol fuel yet, poor planning I guess, so I was wondering if anyone has been using it, if there has been a noted difference. On my last bike you could really tell a difference, noticed improvement almost immediately. Any views on this? D.

Tried it, can't feel a difference on this bike, probably because the F6 doesn't even need premium, and non-ethanol only comes in premium.

Definitely love it on some other bikes I have with higher compression.

jimmy hudson
09-08-2014, 08:52 PM
My local, regular gas station, a new BP, has the stuff and I use it.
I can not discern any affect on F6B performance.

When I'm on the highway I prefer to fuel at "major" brand name stations but have never found non-ethanol gasoline during my travels.
I'm please BP offers this product and I hope non-ethanol fuels become more readily available.

BP offers a special station: one side of the "pump" is non-ethanol gas and the other side is off road diesel.
This is a big gas station with a dozen pumps....I just stumbled upon it one day!

shooter
09-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Haven't been able to buy it around here in years. I think it's a state law. We can buy race gas, 105 octane locally. I've never checked if it's ethanol free or not. You can only put it in a can. Not a vehicle or Bike. Off road use only.

hiflyer
09-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Non ethanol readily available in Texas and Oklahoma . Better mileage with the good stuff

Scotrod
09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Availability is 'regional',,, No eth-free in Houston area due to our air quality (or lack thereof).

Did run some non - ethy in Arkansas a year or 2 back. Little better MPG, but not a HUGE gain,,, Seems like the non-ethy stations don't mind charging you a fat premium for the stuff,,, Not sure that it 'pans-out' in the end if it's substantially more expensive,,, :shrug:

hiflyer
09-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Availability is 'regional',,, No eth-free in Houston area due to our air quality (or lack thereof).

Did run some non - ethy in Arkansas a year or 2 back. Little better MPG, but not a HUGE gain,,, Seems like the non-ethy stations don't mind charging you a fat premium for the stuff,,, Not sure that it 'pans-out' in the end if it's substantially more expensive,,, :shrug:

I have several stations within a couple of miles of my house that don't sell ethanol at all! Same price as the corn mash. I guess it's one of the advantages of living in the boonies!

hoglaw
09-09-2014, 06:33 AM
I have several stations within a couple of miles of my house that don't sell ethanol at all! Same price as the corn mash. I guess it's one of the advantages of living in the boonies!

When we went to Sturgis 3 years ago I noticed the mid-grade was cheaper than regular. Think this was Nebraska. Ask a local and he showed me that the regular was straight gas, no ethanol, so it was priced higher. According to him it was because of all the farm equipment that required non-ethanol.

Haven't seen anything but ethanol in Florida.

Wingman
09-09-2014, 08:30 AM
It would only be rational to assume that anything made in the last few years is manufactured in such a way that ethanol is not a factor. Even my Stilh chainsaw can handle the stuff, and my truck can run on E85. I use non-ethanol in my riding mower, 4wheeler, and my other lawn equipment because they are older and it is redly available to me. As for octane, I use 93 in my F6B, when I use 87 I get terrible surging and the knock sensor CEL comes on. Plus I get much better milage with the 93 so the difference in price is a wash.

Madmax
09-09-2014, 08:51 AM
I use the VP T4 100 octane in all my carbureted bikes when I have them sitting . Sunoco is the worst for ethanol in the fuel unless your buying the race fuel , the pump stuff blows . I run 93 in everything bike I own . Over the winter I will fill put the VP fuel in all the machines , the ethanol fuels turn fast .

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 09:16 AM
When we went to Sturgis 3 years ago I noticed the mid-grade was cheaper than regular. Think this was Nebraska. Ask a local and he showed me that the regular was straight gas, no ethanol, so it was priced higher. According to him it was because of all the farm equipment that required non-ethanol.

Haven't seen anything but ethanol in Florida.

There no ethanol in the Keys, due to all the boats.......there is non-ethanol in Sanford at the marina off Orange Ave....

Madmax
09-09-2014, 11:12 AM
I was washing 93 octane removing the ethanol and adding some octane boost for the quads and dirt bikes and that works pretty well .
Ethanol is really bad stuff , its a solvent base like acetone .

Scotrod
09-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Still surprises me how Octane is sooooo misunderstood.

But, in other news, OKC has some of the best, freshest, least expensive gas I know of,,, :yes:

Houston ain't bad either! :icon_biggrin:

olds34dude
09-09-2014, 02:19 PM
google non ethanol and you can get a national listing

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Still surprises me how Octane is sooooo misunderstood.

But, in other news, OKC has some of the best, freshest, least expensive gas I know of,,, :yes:

Houston ain't bad either! :icon_biggrin:

+1

mikey
09-09-2014, 04:26 PM
thought i'd weigh in here. we can get "pure gasoline" around n. ga. area. it does cause my bike, truck, whatever to get a little better mileage. the big issue here is fuel separation from the water that is in ethanol. it does nasty things in a carburetor bowl in just a short time. most modern injected engines handle ethanol based fuels o.k. because of better fuel lines, seals, etc. if ANY motorized equip. sets for any length of time with ethanol fuel, it needs to be treated with an "ethanol killer" like lucas safeguard, seafoam, or a host of others . small engine shops have made a killing cleaning carbs & replacing lines on bikes, mowers, chainsaws, because nobody realized how corrosive & bad this stuff was until after the engine set to long in storage. after one episode with a saw, and some advice/ education from a honda mechanic/ friend i am a regular user of lucas safeguard and my bikes, mowers , etc. with zero problems from storage & non use for long periods. [ my 6 isnt an issue,by the way i ride it almost every day]. by the way, the fuel distributors refer to pure gas as "rec. 90" - recreational vehicles, 90 octane. thank the fed govt. for forcing this crap on us!- you can fix it though- hope iv'e helped someone. ride safe!

Scotrod
09-09-2014, 07:38 PM
We have 102 octane available at the pump in several locations around here. Less expensive than regular. ($0.50 a gallon cheaper at the Kroger down the street!)
The forced air guys love it as it's sooo much cheaper than race gas.

I burn a tank or 2 through the RAM every now and then, or blend some in w/87 regular as 89 octane is 'recommended but not required' for my 09 Hemi,,,

Mainly just for S + G,,,

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Ethanol fuel is no big deal........UNTIL you let it set for a while...45-90 days...then the ethanol evaporates and you have less that 87 octane, more like 80, thus it will not "fire" If you are going to let the fuel sit in a unit then you MUST add an additive like StaBil...then issue is solved. For those that don't follow this advise then at some point you will have a grass type substance grow in your unit and then you will have to pay to have it cleaned...

StaBil or Lucas or 100 other products will solve this....or burn it ASAP..... I buy 2-3 gallons at a time for my mowing units...add StaBil at purchase and I have had no problems...did the same to the H.D. when I ride it...had my son top off the tank to the F6 and add StaBil when I went into the hospital...4 weeks 2 days later fired it up and headed North....

Madmax
09-11-2014, 11:44 AM
A lot of manufactures of powered equipment are advising to not leave fuel in your machines . I know Steele has there own motomix ... non ethanol fuel for all the equipment .
As for my high compression bikes I'm running VP T4 100 octane . As the other guys said the pump stuff has a shelf life and best to run some type of stable and sea foam every once in a while wont hurt .
Just amazing what comes out of the pump .

Steve 0080
09-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Ethanol = 98% pure corn alcohol and 2% gas....other wise some would drink it!!!

Deer Slayer
09-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Rats, damn 2%.:banghead:

Madmax
09-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Heres 2.5 gallons of ethanol free 93 octane . Lost 3 points on the octane after the ethanol separation for a goldwing it would not be a issue , I have other machines that are high compression and need the octane .
I added 2 points with a octane booster ... Stuff runs awesome .

tonycarver
09-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I've used Lucas fuel treatments in every vehicle I've owned. the oil treatment made my piece of sh#t corolla run like it was new. same with the injector cleaner. no matter which oct or blend I put into a car or MC I've never been disappointed with the results.

hiflyer
09-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Your choice.

Madmax
09-27-2014, 07:17 AM
8811Lucky Bastard ! As I said had to resort to removing the ethanol for the amount of fuel I need . Here in the greater northeast its getting had to find out side of buying race fuel in a can and just paying cost from my buddies Kawi dealer 5 gallons of VP T4 100 octane is still costing me 50 bucks .
If any one knows of any fuel stations in the northeast feel free to give a heads up . I did find a few marina's in north and South Carolina had fuel with no ethanol .
I posted a pic of fuel separation ... That was from a Shell station ... You would be amazed on how much scum is in fuel station tanks and the fuel its pretty nasty whats out there .

motoman
09-27-2014, 12:32 PM
www.pure-gas.org

:icon_biggrin:

Madmax
09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I have been on there site most of the stations listed have Sunoco 100 octane race fuel up here in the PA/NJ eastern area ...
I did a run of fuels from 3 different stations same process , the shell comes out the same every run of removing the ethanol .
The sunoco has different color using the same grade 93 .

Scotrod
09-29-2014, 08:08 AM

Not sure what the exact additive is at the Ethy plant next to the farm in Iowa, but they do have to add something to make it 'non-consumable',,, otherwise, it's pure 'white lightning',,,, :drunk:

Scotrod
09-29-2014, 08:09 AM
I have been on there site most of the stations listed have Sunoco 100 octane race fuel up here in the PA/NJ eastern area ...
I did a run of fuels from 3 different stations same process , the shell comes out the same every run of removing the ethanol .
The sunoco has different color using the same grade 93 .

What y'all using that high octane stuff in? :shrug:

Madmax
10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
8907I'm using Valvetech octane boost , don't really need it for the wing but my other machines that have higher compression it works .
I also add some Amsoil fuel additive and now fuel stable , getting close to the end of the riding season on some of the bikes .
I'm going to stick to Shell 93 , I get less waste from the separation process and more consistant ... Sunoco buys there fuel these days , had a buddies girl friend that worked at a plant near Philadelphia and she told me they have not cracked fuel in over 2 yrs and there processing plant they just buy it , most likely why I cant get a consistant colors using sunoco fuels .
Hate going threw this exra work , for the carburated bikes and quads makes a difference . I even put it in my jeep that sits over the winter .
One of many of my higher compression machines .

hoglaw
10-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Friend of mine is an executive with WaWa. He tells me they are adding non-ethanol pumps to all their stores here in central Florida. I don't know enough to have a strong opinion, but it seems the non-ethanol is the way to go.

F6BPDX
10-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I can get Regular 87 octane for $3.38 a gallon at Fred Meyer, the guys that carry non-ethanol locally want $4.99 a gallon for it. No chance I could make that much extra in MPG, and my bike doesn't sit longer than about 10 hours at a time and goes through a tank of gas max every 4 days so it's really a non issue for me.