PDA

View Full Version : On bike Communication Help...please!!

Phatmobile
09-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I just bought an F6B less than 2 weeks ago. Let me say... I love this bike so far. I also own a Honda Fury and love it for different reasons. My girlfriend and I are thinking about a weekend trip on the F6B and up to this point we have no communication device in place. I know my bike has a jack up front to plug into. I just want to know what works best with the bike and what might my best option be. I am very new when it comes to being able to communicate with my passenger without simply turning my head and yelling:shock: If anyone could please help with tips, tricks, pointers, suggestions...etc.
Thanks in advance

Roadkill
09-08-2014, 03:18 AM
Uclear bluetooth communicators, really work great. Easy to install no drilling or sticky tape and small. Google them you wont be disapointed.

Roadkill
09-08-2014, 03:22 AM
http://www.uclear-digital.com/en/UCLEAR_HBC200_FORCE

Fla_rider
09-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Some important tips on passenger to driver comms.

1. Will you like to be tethered to the bike with a cord? (mine hated it)
2. Besides talking to each other will you be listening to music thru helmet headsets too? (if so do you like the same music)
3. if you choose bluetooth how long will the battery last when playing music full-time?
4. Do you ride with other riders and what do they use if you want to communicate with them?
5. Will the headsets no matter which type fit properly in your helmet?

This is not a cheap investment no matter which way you go. In the end, we decided to remove our cables and the wife listens to her iPod or Pandora through her phone or she listens to music from the front speakers. When she needs something or wants to say something she simply leans forwards and tells me.

Hope this helps.

imported_scottydi
09-08-2014, 06:21 AM
I use the Sena Bluetooth modules. These can be used for on bike communication or communication between bikes. It can be used to pair with cell phones as well. They are not cheap, but work very well. Here is a link to the units that I have from one of our sponsors:

http://wingstuff.com/products/34519-smh10-dual-pack-stereo-bluetooth-helmet-headset?context=sena

Scottydi

Steve 0080
09-08-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HSPT-GL18

http://www.edsets.com/3G_headsets

I use the Scala Rider.....lots of options as well....Try Cycle Gear in your area and then look to our Vendors for better prices....

Darkknight
09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
http://www.uclear-digital.com/en/UCLEAR_HBC200_FORCE

I've got 2 UCLEAR units sitting in my back room. They did seem to work great...until it rained:shrug:. The first units were returned with no problem.
Second units also stopped working when used during a rain storm. Once they dry out they do work again. It was pointed out to me by the Clerk at Cycle Gear that the small print says water resistant, NOT water proof. They sold me the sets. I guess they don't think people with touring bikes ride in the rain.:icon_doh: So I've got 2 working units in their boxes sitting in the back room waiting for a friend that rides only on non-rainy days.
I went with scala rider Q3 waterproof bluetooth comunicators. Haven't figured out how to use all the functions yet but I had sweetie in my ear all the way to the Franklin Rally this year from CT. And also riding the tale of the Dragon when we got to the Rally. They worked really well. Actually Sweetie got real quiet while we were on "The Dragon", only an occaisional "gasp":yikes:. Have not given them the RAIN test yet. Had clouds but no rain all the way home to CT!

Scotrod
09-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I had sweetie in my ear all the way to the Franklin Rally this year from CT.

:stirthepot:

We have the Sena's,,,

All I can say is,,,, Silence is Golden!!! :shock:

Mrf13
09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
I just upgraded to the Sena 20S. Was using Motorola BTD2.
Sena 20S is a very fine product. Good Upgrade for me and the wife.

shooter
09-08-2014, 08:56 PM

http://www.edsets.com/3G_headsets

I use the Scala Rider.....lost of options as well....Try Cycle Gear in your area and then look to our Vendors for better prices....

+1 on the Scala.

Big Jay
09-08-2014, 09:16 PM
+ 1 on the sena.

Navvet
09-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Wife rides her own bike sometimes, so it's the SENA's for us. Currently have 10's will be upgrading to 20's soon.

Darkknight
09-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Lucky for me Sweetie is no chatterbox.
I guess I should have said the batteries in the Scala rider lasted for the entire day of travel and recharged at night for the entire next day.
There was the occasional "did you get that picture?" from me as she was up loading literally hundreds of pictures to Facebook from the passenger seat as we rode, during the entire trip.
A couple of times she "gasped" on the Dragon. I chuckled to myself, she didn't realize she did it.:crackup:

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Lucky for me Sweetie is no chatterbox.
I guess I should have said the batteries in the Scala rider lasted for the entire day of travel and recharged at night for the entire next day.
There was the occasional "did you get that picture?" from me as she was up loading literally hundreds of pictures to Facebook from the passenger seat as we rode, during the entire trip.
A couple of times she "gasped" on the Dragon. I chuckled to myself, she didn't realize she did it.:crackup:

Pretty funny!!!!!!

VP8
09-09-2014, 08:11 PM
I've been using the Sena SMH10 for the past couple of years. I love it...easy to use with gloves, simple, and sound quality is awesome...even with the stock speakers. I wanted better sound quality and more bass, so I replaced the stock speakers for the best J&M speakers. :). Me likey!!!

I have a buddy who had the UClear....he and his wife were so frustrated with it not working properly, the wife almost took it off her helmet and chucked it while she was riding on the back. I recommend the Sena SMH10, and they have been very pleased...no complaints.

If you go with a corded setup to plug into the bike...sure, sound quality will be better because its hardlined verses Bluetooth, but do you really want to be leashed to the bike? Also, there are a few things you will need to purchase from J&M for the corded system to work which will cost more or the same as a Bluetooth system. For the corded setup, you will obviously have to get the speaker/mic setup for your helmet and your girlfriend's helmet...cost approx $120-150/ea. Then you will have to purchase the lower headset connector that connects from the helmet to the bike...one cord per headset...cost approx $40/ea. Then if your bike doesn't have a passenger plug in installed already, you will have to install it...I don't know what the cost is on that.

As for the Sena Bluetooth dual pack (2 comm units), it'll cost approx $250 for the two units.

The other benefit of using the Bluetooth system is you can talk/answer calls, and do voice activated commands...such as giving you turn by turn directions to a destination.

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Phatmobile
09-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks to all who have posted their info for me here. I haven't made a decision yet on brand but I will definitely go with the Bluetooth option rather than being tethered to the bike.

FF-Ed
09-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Scala rider for me.. works great in the rain. I don't use intercom function. strictly iphone functions. I use voice controls to make and receive cellphone calls, TEXT WHILE DRIVING (yeah i found a way), READ NEW TEXTS, and send responses all by voice commands. Use my iphone for NAV, it also seamlessly comes right thru the Scala rider. $129 + tax installed (iron pony motorsports, westerville ohio).

works great for music also, I listened to a instructional speech on youtube while commuting to work yesterday.

cwjj2001
09-26-2014, 08:04 PM
I have the G9X pair for my wife and I!!!:020:

Phatmobile
09-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Once again, thank you for all of the helpful posts. I ended up with the Sena SMH10R. Girlfriend and I rode 1100 miles on our weekend trip down to the Smoky Mountains. We had a great time and also slayed the Dragon while we were there. The Sena devices were great...no complaints. We used the intercom as well as received a phone call while on the road as she had hers paired with a Samsung Galaxy S5. I also love how small these devices are on the helmet. Rode all day and no problem with battery life at all.
Thanks again everyone!