PDA

View Full Version : ACCESSORIES TO CANADA

luckyluciano
09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
To all my Canadian fellow F6B'rs:

Shipping to here is outrageous. Just ordered rivco aero pegs. Shipping $49???

Went to order the Klockwerks Flare windshield. Shipping $98???????

Shipping in the U.S. Free????? (if certain dollar amount in some cases}

These shipping costs do not include duty or taxes. Does it really cost that much more just to cross our boarder? Candadamotorcycle said it will get the dark smoke flare in by the end of October but i don't plan on riding in the snow even with the flare.

What's the reason for the gouging on the shipping?? Anyone know?

DaWadd
09-08-2014, 10:14 AM
If you can get the part shipped USPS Priority International Mail it costs less but may take 8-10 days. Paying taxes and duty can be a hit and miss through the mail but using UPS or Fedex will cost you. I have a US shipping address that I use for big or pricey items. If I can buy locally or in Canada I weigh my cost options.

Spanky
09-08-2014, 11:16 AM
or... we can get a self storage building in Niagara, and have stuff shipped there. You can smuggle me coffee crisp, areo bars, pepperetts, and VH sauce. I will have my aunt pick them up she lives in Ridgeway!

Steve 0080
09-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I do kind of the same thing when I send stuff to my BIL in Germany....just send it a APO address and he gets the package on base...very slow shipping !!!

F6Pilot
09-08-2014, 12:53 PM
or... we can get a self storage building in Niagara, and have stuff shipped there. You can smuggle me coffee crisp, areo bars, pepperetts, and VH sauce. I will have my aunt pick them up she lives in Ridgeway!

.....or just use the self storage as a garage, install the parts, and drive them back across. :shhh:

luckyluciano
09-08-2014, 06:44 PM
If you can get the part shipped USPS Priority International Mail it costs less but may take 8-10 days. Paying taxes and duty can be a hit and miss through the mail but using UPS or Fedex will cost you. I have a US shipping address that I use for big or pricey items. If I can buy locally or in Canada I weigh my cost options.

I think the USPS priority international was. $98

luckyluciano
09-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Got me excited at first but the self store is probably more expensive than the shipping.

The Highwayman
09-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Shipping to Canada is more complicated than within the US and as such some vendors charge shipping fees that are a little steep to compensate for their trouble. Can 't blame them, I just look for those vendors who are more receptive to doing business with those of us North of the border.

RickW
09-08-2014, 09:45 PM
To all my Canadian fellow F6B'rs:

Shipping to here is outrageous. Just ordered rivco aero pegs. Shipping $49???

Went to order the Klockwerks Flare windshield. Shipping $98???????

Shipping in the U.S. Free????? (if certain dollar amount in some cases}

These shipping costs do not include duty or taxes. Does it really cost that much more just to cross our boarder? Candadamotorcycle said it will get the dark smoke flare in by the end of October but i don't plan on riding in the snow even with the flare.

What's the reason for the gouging on the shipping?? Anyone know?

Our cost to ship the Aero Pegs to Canada is about $43 plus insurance with Priority Mail. We do not charge for the insurance, figure that is free along with the extra paperwork that is required. We work on helping people out with duty on price declaration.
Shipping is a lot more expense from the shippers especially UPS and FedEx for international. We only ship using the postal system internationally if possible. You do not get any extra surprises (bill for custom processing) with the postal system like UPS.
Shipping locally for those pegs in the states may be somewhere around $8 to $10 depending on where it is shipping and no paper work.
Shipping Cost is based on weight and some cases dimensional weight. With something like those pegs that weigh 6 pounds it is more for international shipping, but way cheaper then UPS.

We do also try and go with 1st class mail international with smaller items when possible. Shipping is a lot cheaper, but no type of real tracking and takes longer.

Hope this helps in understanding that in a lot of cases the shipping is not the cause of the vendor but the cause of the shipper. You may find a product like this that is not discounted at all and they are absorbing some of the shipping costs.
In all cases you need to look at the total price which also includes service. If you have questions or concerns and can not contact someone, the $5 or $10 you saved is not worth much.

luckyluciano
09-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Our cost to ship the Aero Pegs to Canada is about $43 plus insurance with Priority Mail. We do not charge for the insurance, figure that is free along with the extra paperwork that is required. We work on helping people out with duty on price declaration.
Shipping is a lot more expense from the shippers especially UPS and FedEx for international. We only ship using the postal system internationally if possible. You do not get any extra surprises (bill for custom processing) with the postal system like UPS.
Shipping locally for those pegs in the states may be somewhere around $8 to $10 depending on where it is shipping and no paper work.
Shipping Cost is based on weight and some cases dimensional weight. With something like those pegs that weigh 6 pounds it is more for international shipping, but way cheaper then UPS.

We do also try and go with 1st class mail international with smaller items when possible. Shipping is a lot cheaper, but no type of real tracking and takes longer.

Hope this helps in understanding that in a lot of cases the shipping is not the cause of the vendor but the cause of the shipper. You may find a product like this that is not discounted at all and they are absorbing some of the shipping costs.
In all cases you need to look at the total price which also includes service. If you have questions or concerns and can not contact someone, the $5 or $10 you saved is not worth much.

I know its not you guys but its still frustrating for us having to pay it.

Spanky
09-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm Canadian, keep in touch as I come back to the great white north as often as I can. My family used to live in Syracuse and my aunt used to by tires off tire rack and send them to the house. she'd come down for the weekend and have them installed. amazing what we do to save a buck, or in this case, GST. now we are further south, not a bargin. If you can find a friend in the US to ship too, it would be worth a ride to come down for coffee and conversation. better yet, come down to Franklin next year, it was a swap meet for us!

Spanky.

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm Canadian, keep in touch as I come back to the great white north as often as I can. My family used to live in Syracuse and my aunt used to by tires off tire rack and send them to the house. she'd come down for the weekend and have them installed. amazing what we do to save a buck, or in this case, GST. now we are further south, not a bargin. If you can find a friend in the US to ship too, it would be worth a ride to come down for coffee and conversation. better yet, come down to Franklin next year, it was a swap meet for us!

Spanky.

+1 on the auction at the rally...then the second auction when someone wants to trade for what another person received!!!

ISLANDER1089
09-09-2014, 11:03 AM
There are parcel services available to Canadians. I live in Ontario so I have a parcel service in Niagara Falls. It costs nothing to set up and any on line purchases can be sent there and stored at no charge until you pick up the item. At that point there is a small flat rate charge of $5.95 per package. The only potential issue is getting it across the border and avoiding duty or taxes. If it's a bolt on item for your bike then install it yourself on the US side to avoid any problems at the border crossing.
Because it's about an 8 hour round trip I have to look at my time and fuel costs before I order anything. Needless to say it doesn't make sense to do this with small and relatively inexpensive items.
The service I use is: www.cbiusa.com

Miwhite
09-10-2014, 07:02 AM
I ship to the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY. The cost is $5 per package. Oftentimes the CBS border agents waive the HST and duty - it's a crapshoot whether or not I will have to pay.

luckyluciano
09-12-2014, 03:29 PM
I recently ordered the rivco aero highway pegs, black. $390 with shipping and currency exchange, before customs & taxes which will pile on another 20%.

Back order till September 29.

ISLANDER1089
09-12-2014, 05:22 PM
It's important to note that if a product purchased from a USA source is actually made in North America (Canada, USA, Mexico) there cannot be any duty charged at the border. The NAFTA agreement eliminates duty between these countries. Duty is 6.1% on everything else.

luckyluciano
09-12-2014, 08:06 PM
It's important to note that if a product purchased from a USA source is actually made in North America (Canada, USA, Mexico) there cannot be any duty charged at the border. The NAFTA agreement eliminates duty between these countries. Duty is 6.1% on everything else.

What about the Tesla? It's made in USA and there still is the 6% tax to Canada on it.

F6B1911
09-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Maybe we should just treat the Canadian border they same Obama treats the Mexican border.

ISLANDER1089
09-13-2014, 04:19 PM
What about the Tesla? It's made in USA and there still is the 6% tax to Canada on it.

I can't explain why importing a Tesla to Canada would require any duty paid. The only thing that comes to mind is the percent of American content may be very low or there's a special situation involving electric vehicles.