PDA

View Full Version : Taking Still Pictures while Riding.....

BACA
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Just got back from a trip to British Columbia and saw some AWESOME scenery. Because I'm the rider and have no passenger......has anyone figured out a way to take still (digital) pictures while riding? We went down some great roads along rivers and in canyons I would have loved to have some pictures of without stopping every mile or so.......if anyone has figured out a way I would appreciate a post!

Ride Safe!!

Cheesyryder
09-11-2014, 09:46 PM
A contour or Go Pro attached to your helmet can be set to taking photos

bobbyf6b
09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
iPhone in left hand. Works for me.

Steve 0080
09-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Hang a small camera around your neck with a lanyard ...be careful!!!

Injun Joe
09-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Understand, as a Libertarian, I don't care what anyone does so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But as a photographer, I think this is a bad idea from the get go. If a picture isn't important enough to stop and take it properly, then is it worth bothering with at all? That being said, I'm going to rig my F6B with video cameras front and rear to document my rides. Maybe get one of those sunglass cameras too. Those might be an idea for you but I don't remember if they can be set up to take stills or not.

dickiedeals
09-12-2014, 09:46 AM
I have a small Digital that I picked up for 25 bucks that I snap pictures while riding down the road. Usually with my Left hand. If it drops then its no big loss. Been using it for thousands of Photos Haven't dropped it yet. When I stop I usually pull out the Nikon DX5100 or the Full Frame. As for the other comments, You know what they say about Opinions.:moon:............To each his own....Oh Yea I've been a Photographer many years, not that it matters...............Dickie

timjoebob
09-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Hang a small camera around your neck with a lanyard ...be careful!!!

That's exactly what I do.

rumble-b
09-12-2014, 11:00 PM
You can always take a "snapshot" out of a video. I do this all the time with ride videos. I use VLC player. It allows you to pause the video where you want and to take a snapshot of that image.

Injun Joe
09-12-2014, 11:20 PM
That's exactly what I do.

Great pictures!

motoman
09-12-2014, 11:59 PM
iPhone in left hand. Works for me.

Wow. :shock:

And if you hit a bump and lose control, you'll have a great pic to look at in the hospital. :icon_wink:

Big Jay
09-13-2014, 12:07 AM
I just bring along my personal photographer and she takes the pics. I learned this from Kfad at the pnw ralley .

i

Spanky
09-13-2014, 06:28 AM
I use a little cannon autofocus. It's small enough to stay in the pocket, point and shoot.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2105460,00.asp

Paul B Blues
09-14-2014, 12:13 PM
You can always take a "snapshot" out of a video. I do this all the time with ride videos. I use VLC player. It allows you to pause the video where you want and to take a snapshot of that image.

This is a snapshot from my first try on my new helmet cam, it's Inverness Castle/Sheriff's Court.

unsub
09-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Just got back from a trip to British Columbia and saw some AWESOME scenery. Because I'm the rider and have no passenger......has anyone figured out a way to take still (digital) pictures while riding? We went down some great roads along rivers and in canyons I would have loved to have some pictures of without stopping every mile or so.......if anyone has figured out a way I would appreciate a post!

Ride Safe!!

There is. With the right editing software you can get nice stills from a video capture camera's hours of footage. It requires very little knowledge and a little trial and error with the application you use. Are they going to be high quality for commercial reproduction? Likely no, but if the subject matter is interesting, maybe. Definitely stills from today's high quality video will produce something that you can scrapbook, print out or share.

For the the great must have vistas for example, you really should take your time off the bike.

Arkf6bRider
09-14-2014, 01:29 PM
I do as someone has already said. I have a neck strap on a small digital camera. Just raise up my left arm and click away. I had to stop and get a larger memory card

Plan B
09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
hello,

friends of mine use a gopro mounted under the mirror.
Can be set to film or photograph interval.
Super quality !!

Greetings Oliver