PDA

View Full Version : New helmet???

chipmaker
09-13-2014, 03:50 AM
I'm a longtime Scorpion helmet guy and a recent open face helmet guy. So look what Scorpion releases:

http://images3.revzilla.com/product_images/0095/7770/scorpion_exoct220_helmet_solids_detail.jpg http://images0.revzilla.com/product_images/0095/7834/scorpion_exoct220_helmet_solids_detail.jpg

EXO-CT220! Drop down sun shield, visor or shield. I need to find someone that stocks them locally and try on one. I have been looking for a open face that vents good. Looks like this one might. Cheap also!
New riding season = new helmet.

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Try Cycle Gear......very nice looking helmet!!! How much $$$.......

chipmaker
09-13-2014, 06:50 AM
I see it online for $139. Since I have to try it on, I'll buy local if I can.

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 06:55 AM
WOW!!! Thats a great price for such a nice looking helmet and it matches !!!!!

chipmaker
09-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Yea, hope it fits nice...

CarolinaRider
09-13-2014, 07:49 AM
I have had luck with Revzilla with returns and exchanges. It takes some time if you dont get the right size the first time but if you are familiar with the Scorpion sizing already it should make it easy. I bought my Scorpion from Cycle Gear years ago.

XKnight
09-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Scorpion makes good helmets at reasonable prices. I have a full face Scorpion that I've been using for about 10 years with no issues. My local Honda dealer as well as the local Cycle Gear store carry Scorpion so you should have no problem trying before buying.

srt8-in-largo
09-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Nice looking helmet!

+ 1 for Revzilla.

Their company motto is "No Nonsense" and from what I can tell they live up to this. Free shipping over $40 and no question, no hassle, no restock fee, full refund for any reason as long as the item hasn't been ridden with.

Injun Joe
09-13-2014, 09:12 PM
+2 revzilla

Steve 0080
09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Went by Cycle Gear...they will order the helmet tomorrow!!!!!!

chipmaker
09-14-2014, 02:30 PM
oh damn, your fast...:shock:

fxdl2051
09-14-2014, 04:27 PM
I'd be curious to see how well it performs when you turn your head or how much wind noise the visor generates. Had a Bell few years ago with an extended visor on an naked bike. That thing was unwearable and when it came apart at speed, back to Bell it went.

chipmaker
09-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Will depend on wind protection. My Madstad pops the wind over my head and my other helmet has a visor, no big deal. Prolly would suck with stock short windshield.

Steve 0080
09-15-2014, 11:52 PM
I should have helmet by Thursday..... hope it fits!!!

bobbyf6b
09-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Looks like my Bilt Roadster but with better venting and drop down shield. The visor would be nice too for eye shade. I'm gonna check it out.

bobbyf6b
09-16-2014, 12:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk29wWTHIy4

shooter
09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
HJC makes one like that with shield and internal sun visor. Vents good has 4 vents up front an 2 in back. Just bought one for my girl. She loves it especially the sun visor. Price about 130.

bigbird
09-16-2014, 10:31 AM
HJC makes one like that with shield and internal sun visor. Vents good has 4 vents up front an 2 in back. Just bought one for my girl. She loves it especially the sun visor. Price about 130.

HJC IS-33? For those thinking about an IS-33, the sizing is on the tight side. Order one size larger than you normally would.

Reedman71
09-16-2014, 10:56 AM
I go to Cycle Gear myself. Helmets, gloves, jackets and the like are things that you need to try on so I go to the store to do that. (Never have to return an item) Also, my local store knows me and my wife by name. When I go in, they always have something new they want me to try or give my opinion on. I cannot say enough about Cycle Gear. Of course YMMV at your own local store. Harisburg PA Cycle Gear Rocks!

OP: Thanks for the post. I like the features on the Scorpion and it wasn't even on my radar. I will consider it for my next helmet.

srt8-in-largo
09-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Cycle Gear is great but the selection is very limited; much of what they advertise as carrying they have to special order... and I'm not sure if that effects the ability to return stuff.

Revzilla is the better option; they have just about everything under the sun. Order... try it on as much as you want... then return it for a FULL refund. No restock fee, no nothing except return shipping cost.

Steve 0080
09-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Cycle Gear is great but the selection is very limited; much of what they advertise as carrying they have to special order... and I'm not sure if that effects the ability to return stuff.

Revzilla is the better option; they have just about everything under the sun. Order... try it on as much as you want... then return it for a FULL refund. No restock fee, no nothing except return shipping cost.

I agree and have an account with both.... most things are no big deal...but a helmet is something I want to try on and many different brands...I was gifted with a large head and Cycle Gear will order as many as I want if they don't have it on the shelf!!!

fxdl2051
09-17-2014, 08:33 PM
HJC IS-33? For those thinking about an IS-33, the sizing is on the tight side. Order one size larger than you normally would.
In my experience HJC is a noisy helmit, too much air leakage past the liner and into the ear pockets and that tinted visor rattles around. Yes it's priced well, but I'd like a quieter alternative if anyone knows of one. Believe me I tried everything to reduce noise with the HJC 3/4 helmit.

srt8-in-largo
09-17-2014, 10:55 PM
I think vented helmets in general will be noisy. I have a Speed & Strength 3/5 vented helmet... which is also quite noisy but the breeze inside the helmet feels good.

chipmaker
09-17-2014, 11:12 PM
All my helmets are vented. I wear earplugs.

SpeedyWho
09-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Give one of the Helmet Center stores a visit. There's at least two in the valley. My personal option, they stock better products than Cycle gear. They are good people and willing to take the time to make sure you get the perfect fit for your new helmet. If it doesn't fit properly it doesn't matter is you spend $50 or $1000 on a helmet.

chipmaker
09-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Give one of the Helmet Center stores a visit. There's at least two in the valley. My personal option, they stock better products than Cycle gear. They are good people and willing to take the time to make sure you get the perfect fit for your new helmet. If it doesn't fit properly it doesn't matter is you spend $50 or $1000 on a helmet.

I need to check them out, they are both across town from me, but its cooling off soon. I'm out in Queen Creek.

Injun Joe
09-18-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm really curious how the Super Seer helmets compare to the more common 1/2 and 3/4 helmets. Anyone have experience with both? How is the fit? I'm decidedly a neutral oval head shape -- closer to round than oval.

opas ride
09-18-2014, 09:56 AM
I have a new HJC helmet and just bought a Shoei... both 3/4's..The Shoei is very quiet compared to the HJC but also cost $300 more.....

srt8-in-largo
09-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Earplugs are a MUST for noisy helmets; the sound level is certainly high enough to kill your hearing.

I wear Klipsch earbuds that have a NRR of about -26dB... which is nearly the same as earplugs... listen to audio and protect your hearing at the same time.

Injun Joe
09-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Earplugs are a MUST for noisy helmets; the sound level is certainly high enough to kill your hearing.

I wear Klipsch earbuds that have a NRR of about -26dB... which is nearly the same as earplugs... listen to audio and protect your hearing at the same time.

+1

Steve 0080
09-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Picked the helmet up today..... just as reviewed in the video above...very nice, great helmet, cheap for the quality!!! Has some of the same features as my Arai at 1/6 th the cost.....

bigbird
09-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Picked the helmet up today..... just as reviewed in the video above...very nice, great helmet, cheap for the quality!!! Has some of the same features as my Arai at 1/6 th the cost.....

These won't be available in Canada until mid November, which does most of us zero good. I'll be lucky if I'm still riding by Halloween.
I'll wait for a Black Friday or Xmas sale.

BTW, does it fit true to sizing?

What colour did you get, the matte black or gloss black?

Steve 0080
09-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I have the matt black...as far as size. this helmet does fit true to size...measure your head just above your eyes at the biggest part of your dome and you should be OK....

XKnight
09-19-2014, 09:34 AM

I have the matt black...as far as size. this helmet does fit true to size...measure your head just above your eyes at the biggest part of your dome and you should be OK....

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check this helmet out. The features have everything I'm looking for in a 3/4 helmet and I've been very impressed with my full face Scorpion that I've had for about 10 years. They make great quality helmets for a great price.

bigbird
09-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Thank you.

F6B1911
09-19-2014, 06:55 PM
When I picked up new F6B, I wanted to get a new helmet, mine is getting old.
I have a Schuberth Concept helmet, so went looking at the new Schuberth helmets, all I could say was damn, what does it do for that price?
The Schuberth helmets were always te quietest in my experience. Think that may be on hold a bit.

BUT did you take a look at the Skully helemts?
I think in the next year or two there will be a huge market for "High Tech" helmets.
I'll bet we'll see more integration of electronics, better stereo speakers, rear view cameras, bluetooth, GPS integration, etc.
Maybe even OVD (on visor display)
So, I'm not in a hurry now, just waiting for the killer helmet to match the F6B.

bigbird
09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
I have a Schuberth Concept helmet, so went looking at the new Schuberth helmets, all I could say was damn, what does it do for that price?
The Schuberth helmets were always te quietest in my experience.

I currently have a Schuberth C3 and a Scorpion EXO-100. I wear the Scorpion 80% of the time, as it's a half helmet and I can enjoy the breeze and the sound of my radio. The Schuberth is in a league of its own. It is very quiet, and also very isolating. I wear it in the Spring and Fall when the temp is below 5C. The F6B has so much wind isolation that I may sell the Schuberth and pick up the new EXO CT220 for colder weather.

srt8-in-largo
09-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Noise Levels Under Motorcycle Helmets (http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm)

richw56
09-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Just FYI, Cycle Gear is running a sale today - extra 10% off most of the stuff in the store, for those who live close to one (I live near the one in Hicksville NY). I do not think it applies to online purchases. I may be picking up a Shoei today - confirmed with store manager that the sale can be applied to Shoei items.

bigbird
10-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I just went for a 1 hour ride wearing my new Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet. Fit, construction, wind isolation, and visibility are all top notch. I can highly recommend this helmet.

DaWadd
10-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Have a Shoei QWest and a Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4. Both fine helmets. Fit my head just right.:icon_biggrin:

ISLANDER1089
10-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm considering the Lazer Monaco modular helmet from Revzilla.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-carbon-helmet?utm_source=RevZilla&utm_content=ProductImage&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=abandoned_checkout_follow_up
It's definitely pricey but man it's the lightest helmet they sell and includes the photochromatic transition pinlock sheild. No more sunglasses.

Has anybody purchased one of these? It also comes in fiberglass for about $350 including the sheild.

Injun Joe
10-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm considering the Lazer Monaco modular helmet from Revzilla.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-carbon-helmet?utm_source=RevZilla&utm_content=ProductImage&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=abandoned_checkout_follow_up
It's definitely pricey but man it's the lightest helmet they sell and includes the photochromatic transition pinlock sheild. No more sunglasses.

Has anybody purchased one of these? It also comes in fiberglass for about $350 including the sheild.

I bought the Lazer Falcon at the beginning of the season and posted a lengthy review of it on the revzilla forum. One thing that would carry over is that the transition shield doesn't get very dark. Not dark enough for me in the the bright Colorado sun for all day riding -- that's for sure.

shooter
10-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Helmets are kinda like socks. You find some you like you go buy some more. Having said that I have 3 Shoei helmets. 1 RF1100 and 2 Neotec's. I wear them all depending on which bike I ride. The flat black Neotec when I ride the 109 , The gloss black when I ride the B and the RF1100 when I ride the 9 kinda hard. The Shoei's fit my head great. I like the Modular helmet for the versatility.

bertrider
10-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I have a Lazer glass Monaco. I really like the Transitions shield. It may not be dark enough for some but it is for me and I can wear my regular prescription glasses and don't have to keep up with my prescription sunglasses. Even the glass version is light because there is no flip down sun shield. I don't like those. Something else to scratch when retracted up in the helmet. Lightness and the shield...the two reasons to get a Monaco.

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-03-2014, 03:02 AM
I'm a longtime Scorpion helmet guy and a recent open face helmet guy. So look what Scorpion releases:

http://images3.revzilla.com/product_images/0095/7770/scorpion_exoct220_helmet_solids_detail.jpg http://images0.revzilla.com/product_images/0095/7834/scorpion_exoct220_helmet_solids_detail.jpg

EXO-CT220! Drop down sun shield, visor or shield. I need to find someone that stocks them locally and try on one. I have been looking for a open face that vents good. Looks like this one might. Cheap also!
New riding season = new helmet.

Although it is twice as much money, the Schuberth SR-1 (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-sr1-technology-helmet) from Revzilla is comfortable, light and safe. I wear my C-3 Pro more often on the F6B because it is quieter and my 6 is really loud with unplugged Cobras and a 9" Lee Bailey shield. The SR-1 offers more protection on track days so it is a must for the KTM RC8R Akra. I justify the Schuberth as being the only way to customize my fragile old noodle. Some guys spend more on paint or performance mods but you only have one head.