PDA

View Full Version : Jacket and Pants

indadman
09-13-2014, 10:06 AM
I generally ride between 300 and 700 miles on a weekend day. I have long worn a leather jacket and jeans during the winter (I live in North Texas) and jeans and a t-shirt during the summer.

My leather jacket is about to "bite the big one," and I am considering going with another type of jacket and pants. Over the summer I reviewed a number of jacket and pant types that would help to keep one cool, and I found that concept to be interesting. So, as fall rolls around, my question is this...is there a jacket and pants combination that can be used for both summer and winter?

Any thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

XKnight
09-13-2014, 10:39 AM
When it's around 95 - 100 degrees in TX I find that the only jacket that still works for me is a mesh jacket. I have a First Gear pullover mesh with armor that I use in the summer on longer runs. I tried perforated leather and it was just too hot in the TX summer. For pants I usually wear jeans or tactical pants, but for longer runs I've use Kevlar reinforced Draggin Jeans.

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 11:10 AM
There are jacket and pants combo;s that have liners...check them out!!!

motozeke
09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
After owning leather and textile, and riding jeans, I've settled on the Aerostich Roadcrafter. One piece of gear for all weather conditions. Yes, it's hotter than mesh and jeans on the hottest of days, but again--one piece of gear. And there's nothing like being able to zip it off and wear cool, comfortable street clothes while off the bike. Total thumbs up.

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 02:25 PM
If I had a one piece suit...I would be in my birthday suit underneath..... I do that now with my Joe Rocket Pants !!!!! Yes TMI.....

BubbaJePH
09-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I wear a TourMaster jacket. Summer, no liner. Winter I'll wear the liners and when it gets down to 18 degrees on the coast of Virginia, I'll add a sweatshirt. Works for me. People ask me if wearing a jacket in the summer is too hot. I tell them, how hot is the pavement if I were to be laying on it waiting for the ambulance to show up? You know the rhyme.... Dress for the slide, not the ride.

F6BPDX
09-13-2014, 11:20 PM
If I had a one piece suit...I would be in my birthday suit underneath..... I do that now with my Joe Rocket Pants !!!!! Yes TMI.....

Note to self: do not buy any pants steve lists in the flea market.

DaWadd
09-14-2014, 06:10 AM
I wear a pair of Olympia Renegade mesh pants for the hot weather. Very comfortable and look great.

bigbird
09-14-2014, 07:16 AM
I wear a pair of Olympia Renegade mesh pants for the hot weather. Very comfortable and look great.

I'm thinking of replacing my blue jeans for warm weather riding with something a little more protective.
What colour are yours, silver or black?

d-shark
09-14-2014, 08:08 AM
I generally ride between 300 and 700 miles on a weekend day. I have long worn a leather jacket and jeans during the winter (I live in North Texas) and jeans and a t-shirt during the summer.

My leather jacket is about to "bite the big one," and I am considering going with another type of jacket and pants. Over the summer I reviewed a number of jacket and pant types that would help to keep one cool, and I found that concept to be interesting. So, as fall rolls around, my question is this...is there a jacket and pants combination that can be used for both summer and winter?

Any thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

Last year I purchased a Latitude Misano jacket by Klim (this is Gorte-Tex lined). The best money I ever spent for long distance riding. After the jacket I ended up getting matching Klim pants. Klim has matching Latitude Misano pants but I ended up getting their Badlands Pro pant because it just fit my lower build better. Both pant styles match the jacket.

Last Christmas I rode from Central IL to Sarasota, FL and back with temps anywhere between 20 & 85 degrees. In July we rode 3,000 mile round trip to Strugis (anywhere from 45 to 95 degrees). On the way out we rode 3-1/2 hours in 60 degree heavy rain and my girl and I were the only ones left warm & dry in the bunch. It's hard to find a good selection of Klim locally so I recommend ordering a couple of sizes from Revzilla.com, great people to do business with.

Prior to my purchase I did research on what the real hard-core adventure riders were wearing. Number One: was a Gore-Tex outer shell (waterproof & breathable). Number Two: absolutely no cotton (cotton retains moisture making you colder in the winter and muggy in the summer). Number Three: wear a moisture wicking long sleeve & long leg base layer like Under Armour or Klim. Hot or cold this base layer will keep you warm in the cold and dry in the heat. On the Sturgis trip others could not get their boots and clothes off fast enough after a long day, I was just fine.

Also can't say enough good things about the Bates Men's Delta-9 GTX Side Zip Work Boot that I've been wearing. They are Gore-Tex lined and have been completely waterproof through multiple downpours. Wear proper moisture wicking socks and your feet will never have been so cool & dry in the summer and warm in the cold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QDUSLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AD7L4S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Klim Jacket does not have a Liner which is a good thing in my opinion. Get it big enough to accommodate a medium weight Mid-Layer of your choice underneath and you will be fine in the cold. Despite all the zipper vents this Jacket & Pant combo is extremely air tight in the cold when all vents are zippered up. With vents open air flow is very good.

With the Jacket, Pants & Boots I just close the air intake vents when I hit a storm and open them back up when I ride out. In June I rode to VA and back through multiple storms each day in temps from 55 in a storm to 95 in sun. Others were along side the rode putting rain gear On & Off. I rode in comfort without stopping.

ReserveBum
09-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Note to self: do not buy any pants steve lists in the flea market.

Almost lost my cheerios....LMAO

DaWadd
09-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Bigbird, I bought the silver ones. Great airflow.

Dfinkelsteinmd
09-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Last year I purchased a Latitude Misano jacket by Klim (this is Gorte-Tex lined). The best money I ever spent for long distance riding. After the jacket I ended up getting matching Klim pants. Klim has matching Latitude Misano pants but I ended up getting their Badlands Pro pant because it just fit my lower build better. Both pant styles match the jacket.

Last Christmas I rode from Central IL to Sarasota, FL and back with temps anywhere between 20 & 85 degrees. In July we rode 3,000 mile round trip to Strugis (anywhere from 45 to 95 degrees). On the way out we rode 3-1/2 hours in 60 degree heavy rain and my girl and I were the only ones left warm & dry in the bunch. It's hard to find a good selection of Klim locally so I recommend ordering a couple of sizes from Revzilla.com, great people to do business with.

Prior to my purchase I did research on what the real hard-core adventure riders were wearing. Number One: was a Gore-Tex outer shell (waterproof & breathable). Number Two: absolutely no cotton (cotton retains moisture making you colder in the winter and muggy in the summer). Number Three: wear a moisture wicking long sleeve & long leg base layer like Under Armour or Klim. Hot or cold this base layer will keep you warm in the cold and dry in the heat. On the Sturgis trip others could not get their boots and clothes off fast enough after a long day, I was just fine.

Also can't say enough good things about the Bates Men's Delta-9 GTX Side Zip Work Boot that I've been wearing. They are Gore-Tex lined and have been completely waterproof through multiple downpours. Wear proper moisture wicking socks and your feet will never have been so cool & dry in the summer and warm in the cold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QDUSLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AD7L4S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Klim Jacket does not have a Liner which is a good thing in my opinion. Get it big enough to accommodate a medium weight Mid-Layer of your choice underneath and you will be fine in the cold. Despite all the zipper vents this Jacket & Pant combo is extremely air tight in the cold when all vents are zippered up. With vents open air flow is very good.

With the Jacket, Pants & Boots I just close the air intake vents when I hit a storm and open them back up when I ride out. In June I rode to VA and back through multiple storms each day in temps from 55 in a storm to 95 in sun. Others were along side the rode putting rain gear On & Off. I rode in comfort without stopping.

Can't agree more--Klim is the best all around jacket/pant combo. I have used KTM's version as well as Olympia Motosports, but they are not quite as well made, although much less expensive.
I ride mostly in NoCal, in temp's that vary between 58 and 90 degrees. There is always a way to make the Klim comfortable and not too restrictive.

bigbird
09-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Bigbird, I bought the silver ones. Great airflow.

Thanks Jeff

shooter
09-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Joe Rocket Phoenix Mesh. Comes with a rain liner that makes you sweat. They have a breathable liner that blocks all wind and turns the mesh into a three season coat. I think the liner is made out of Dri-Plus. It's also waterproof.

Bruce B
09-16-2014, 12:54 AM

Regarding # 3, the long sleeved and long legged base layer. Check out "LD Comfort", a favorite of the Iron Butt guys. Properly used (no mesh outer garments), it keeps me comfortable in the Sacramento Valley heat. Have used it up to 104 degrees for an extended ride. Can't vouch for it beyond that. It's also great in the cold. See www.LDComfort.com. The websie says that the shirt can be wet to make it cool better in extreme temps. This isn't really needed in most cases because sweat will be wicked away for a dry fabric against the skin and it will evaporate from the outer surface of the fabric for the cooling effect. When wet down, it's very possible to get too cold unless airflow up the sleeves is moderated. This is really a great product.

d-shark
09-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Regarding # 3, the long sleeved and long legged base layer. Check out "LD Comfort", a favorite of the Iron Butt guys. Properly used (no mesh outer garments), it keeps me comfortable in the Sacramento Valley heat. Have used it up to 104 degrees for an extended ride. Can't vouch for it beyond that. It's also great in the cold. See www.LDComfort.com. The websie says that the shirt can be wet to make it cool better in extreme temps. This isn't really needed in most cases because sweat will be wicked away for a dry fabric against the skin and it will evaporate from the outer surface of the fabric for the cooling effect. When wet down, it's very possible to get too cold unless airflow up the sleeves is moderated. This is really a great product.

Thanks Bruce, I was not aware of LDComfort.