PDA

View Full Version : I'm affraid to ride my bike now:(

ghostrider
06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I've gotten two speeding tickets in two months of riding it now! One for 71 in a 65 and yesterday for 75 in a 65. The next purchase I make for this bike will be a good radar detector. I'm not sure if it's the red bike or not but I'm having some bad luck:( :banghead:

Phantom
06-19-2013, 12:28 PM
I've gotten two speeding tickets in two months of riding it now! One for 71 in a 65 and yesterday for 75 in a 65. The next purchase I make for this bike will be a good radar detector. I'm not sure if it's the red bike or not but I'm having some bad luck:( :banghead:

Ghostrider …..

Those are called PERFORMANCE Awards :winnergold1:

You have been rewarded for out performing your competition on the road :icon_doh: :duck: :icon_razz:

goldtahoe
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Problem #1 ... you're in IDAHO ... there's nothing for cops to do in IDAHO but wait for you to come by zooming ...

ghostrider
06-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Ghostrider …..

Those are called PERFORMANCE Awards :winnergold1:

You have been rewarded for out performing your competition on the road :icon_doh: :duck: :icon_razz:

AAAAhh! I feel so much better now!

Actually the guy was pretty nice, he was asking me questions about my bike and how I liked it. He also told me about the defencive driving class you can take online and take 3 points off your driving record...... I never got a ticket on my blue BMW!

ghostrider
06-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Problem #1 ... you're in IDAHO ... there's nothing for cops to do in IDAHO but wait for you to come by zooming ...

You are exactly right Goldtahoe!! We need more bank robbers here!!

jkelley
06-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Just be glad you don't have one of the fast black ones, you would have lost your license by now.:icon_lol:

SpeedyWho
06-19-2013, 01:13 PM
You got one for 71 in a 65? Wow thats a bummer, I guess that cop was having a bad day or something

edgeman55
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.This bike is so smooth and full of power I too have found it hard to stay below 80-85mph.I'm always checking the speedo and use my Breakaway throttle lock a lot to stay out of trouble.

ghostrider
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
You got one for 71 in a 65? Wow that's a bummer, I guess that cop was having a bad day or something

Yes, I'm taking that one to court. He had his cruse control set at 70 and pacing the traffic. I got on the freeway about 4 car links behind him and in the span of 5 or 6 miles crept up on him to where I was right next to him at one point. As soon as my bike inched passed his car he turned on his lights. So it wasn't a speeding ticket actually it was a "disrespect" ticket.

jkelley
06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
You got one for 71 in a 65? Wow thats a bummer, I guess that cop was having a bad day or something

In Brevard NC you get a ticket just because....................6 over is a definite ticket.

Had a female cop in another local town writing for one over. Wrote so many the judge told her if she couldn't find something better to do she needed to find another vocation. But no telling how many she wrote over the years.

Both well known speed traps. Or revenue generators......

Retired Army
06-19-2013, 02:38 PM
A box of donuts will fit in a saddlebag.

Wild Bill
06-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Guess I better stay in Georgia. They allow 10 over. Other states I mite end up in jail.

jlig
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Sometimes I think its the luck of the Draw. It seems a lot of my past speeding tickets have been in groups of 2 close together. Its like someone's shittin on your parade. Slow it down, take care of the tickets and within a few months things should get back to normal. Good Luck.

jlig
06-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Yes, I'm taking that one to court. He had his cruse control set at 70 and pacing the traffic. I got on the freeway about 4 car links behind him and in the span of 5 or 6 miles crept up on him to where I was right next to him at one point. As soon as my bike inched passed his car he turned on his lights. So it wasn't a speeding ticket actually it was a "disrespect" ticket.

Didn't you see him?? My wife got one of those where she passed a cop at over the speed limit. DUH, you're gonna get a ticket .....

Darkknight
06-20-2013, 04:00 AM
Here in Ct if you do the speed limit you had better be in the right lane and watch your mirrors.
The average is 10 over the limit (65) and you still have a good chance of being run over. Generally I'm running at 72-85 and that will keep me pacing most traffic. There are many different types of unmarked state police cars here also. Dodge chargers, Tahoes, Explorers, Camaros, even Malibu's and smaller vehicles, in addition to the larger conventional Crown Vic and Suburban types. So spotting them is not always easy.
But.... If you see any vehicle on the side of the road with tinted windows or slightly open door, err on the side of caution and duck behind something BIG right away.
:lolup:

ghostrider
06-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Didn't you see him?? My wife got one of those where she passed a cop at over the speed limit. DUH, you're gonna get a ticket .....

Yes, I saw him, I was riding right next to him and we were going the exact same speed except i had inched in front of him half a bike lenth when he turned on his lights. (I thought he wanted to look at my bike :icon_rolleyes:)

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-20-2013, 07:06 AM
The next purchase I make for this bike will be a good radar detector

Good plan! I have not mounted mine yet, so I'm feeling a bit vulnerable myself. The CHP tends to keep their KA band running all the time sending a "warning" to anyone "listening", hence a detector is a valuable tool.

ghostrider
06-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Good plan! I have not mounted mine yet, so I'm feeling a bit vulnerable myself. The CHP tends to keep their KA band running all the time sending a "warning" to anyone "listening", hence a detector is a valuable tool.

I've never used a radar detector before because I've never had the need. Like I said, never got a ticket on my BMW. I'm not really a speeder but I do like to stay ahead of trouble. I feel like I'm being forced into buying it now because I'm so paranoid. It will be interesting to see if it actually helps. An electronic cruise control would help too, It's good to hear that people are working on that.

Gumby
06-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm confused at how a radar detector is going to help when you pass an officer who is going faster than the limit.

MichaelG
06-20-2013, 08:07 AM
And...that is WHY I will continue to use my Valentine One radar detector that is now 16 years old, but gets updated every few years. I have it encased into a waterproof clear form molded cover, and wired directly into the bike via the Intercom system of the F6B, so I hear all the beeps and braps in both helmet headset speakers. I know for a fact that this one Valenetine One readar detector has paid for itself over 1000 times in the past 16 years of use.

My last speeding ticket was over 10 years ago, for 10 over in Nor Cal. Other than the radar detector, I also sport WSP stickers on the back/sides of my helmet. for...Washington State Patrol. The trick won't work here in Washington, but all the other jurisdictions in North America are hesitant to give a presumed "fellow officer" a ticket. It works.

ghostrider
06-20-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm confused at how a radar detector is going to help when you pass an officer who is going faster than the limit.

:icon_rolleyes:

ghostrider
06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
And...that is WHY I will continue to use my Valentine One radar detector that is now 16 years old, but gets updated every few years. I have it encased into a waterproof clear form molded cover, and wired directly into the bike via the Intercom system of the F6B, so I hear all the beeps and braps in both helmet headset speakers. I know for a fact that this one Valenetine One readar detector has paid for itself over 1000 times in the past 16 years of use.

My last speeding ticket was over 10 years ago, for 10 over in Nor Cal. Other than the radar detector, I also sport WSP stickers on the back/sides of my helmet. for...Washington State Patrol. The trick won't work here in Washington, but all the other jurisdictions in North America are hesitant to give a presumed "fellow officer" a ticket. It works.

That's good to hear Miles. Thanks for the tips.

Dmoon64
06-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Dang speed camera got me. 47 in a 40. I accelerated through a yellow light. $60.00 and nothing goes on my record. At least I didn't get one for the 110 blast onto the interstate. :icon_lol:

Wild Bill
06-20-2013, 03:51 PM
FYI for those traveling GA. They are notorious for using laser. Watch all your over passes. They will set on the backside of an overpass and clock you from behind. Radar detector is worthless here.

MichaelG
06-20-2013, 07:21 PM
FYI for those traveling GA. They are notorious for using laser. Watch all your over passes. They will set on the backside of an overpass and clock you from behind. Radar detector is worthless here.

WildBill, that is good information. Thank you. However...a Valentine One detector is still useful in this case. It detects laser, and tells me which direction the laser is coming from.

Steve 0080
06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
I thought the posted speed limits were for minimum speed ?

Alberta Beagle
06-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Dang speed camera got me. 47 in a 40. I accelerated through a yellow light. $60.00 and nothing goes on my record. At least I didn't get one for the 110 blast onto the interstate. :icon_lol:

I remember the first photo radar ticket I got in the mail. I thought hey, they sent me a picture of me driving to fast and asking for $75. So I sent them a picture of $75!!!!! Seemed like a logical thing to me. Then they sent me a picture of some handcuffs!!!!! :shock:
Needless to say I paid the fine.

Beagle

BubbaJePH
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I find it interesting that Cincinnati Microwave makes police gear and detectors for the public. Like supplying weapons to both sides of the conflict just to make lots of money.:bowdown:

Wild Bill
06-21-2013, 07:13 PM
WildBill, that is good information. Thank you. However...a Valentine One detector is still useful in this case. It detects laser, and tells me which direction the laser is coming from.

I stand corrected... Thanks for the info. I will have to look it up. Sounds hi tech.
Years ago I had a rocky mountain radar unit that would jam radar/ laser. I don't know if they still make them.

ghostrider
07-22-2013, 09:48 AM

I went to court for my first ticket I got on the F6B, it was for 71 in a 65 and I was riding right next to the ISP that was setting the pace of traffic at 70. I creeped passed him and he turned on his lights.

The case was dismissed Thursday because the officer was unavailable it said. But the point here is to not be afraid to take a ticket to court if you think you were wronged.

Another update is I've installed a radar detector on my bike yesterday and used it for the first time this morning on the way to work. I didn't speed but I liked the secure feeling of having it and had less paranoia riding. After getting two tickets in a short span I was getting kind of concerned. The section of freeway on I84 going through Boise is full of officers just waiting for anyone speeding as a word of warning to anybody passing through.

MichaelG
07-22-2013, 10:07 AM
The section of freeway on I84 going through Boise is full of officers just waiting for anyone speeding as a word of warning to anybody passing through.

I ride through Boise several times a year, on Interstate 84, and when I do...as I read the signs..."I" go "84" mph through there.

I have not been stopped yet...but then again...I do use a Valentine 1 radar detector.:icon_mrgreen:

ghostrider
07-22-2013, 10:30 AM
I ride through Boise several times a year, on Interstate 84, and when I do...as I read the signs..."I" go "84" mph through there.

I have not been stopped yet...but then again...I do use a Valentine 1 radar detector.:icon_mrgreen:

Haha well if you do go 84mph you better make sure you have it turned on because lately they have been patroling it well. Last week one day going to work I saw two cars pulled over and one cop on the side of the freeway. The city must be running low on cash.
I do love having a radar detector for peace of mind.

michaels
07-22-2013, 10:48 AM
The great cook Justin Wilson said:
3 old ladies were pulled over and the officer walk up to window and said to the driver " lady your driving 85mph" and she said "the posted sign said 85" and he said "your on Hwy 85 and why are all your friends look so shook up" she reply we just got off Hwy 125!

Paul B Blues
07-22-2013, 11:36 AM

It's always a nerve racking moment passing a Cop car, you just don't know what they'll do :shock: but I guess he setting a trap for you!!!

ghostrider
07-22-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if it had anything to do with him not showing up or not. But it was more about me crossing that line in the sand he had drawn in the front of his car and not speeding. His "do not pass this line" line. I disrespected that line even though I literally inched by him. I really expected a warning even though I had no idea why he turned his lights on in the first place. I just pissed him off and I don't think you can get a ticket for that. :shrug:

Paul B Blues
07-22-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure if it had anything to do with him not showing up or not. But it was more about me crossing that line in the sand he had drawn in the front of his car and not speeding. His "do not pass this line" line. I disrespected that line even though I literally inched by him. I really expected a warning even though I had no idea why he turned his lights on in the first place. I just pissed him off and I don't think you can get a ticket for that. :shrug:

You know I think you have hit the nail on the head, still, seems very harsh though :021:

ghostrider
07-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Try to get me now coppers!!!!!!!

choptop
05-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Looks like the Whistler detector I just picked up.:icon_biggrin:

smokinjoe187
05-15-2014, 07:33 PM
i agree,I love Boise but they are death on anything speed related and love there 35 mph 25 35 speed traps..
i see bikes all over the place now that its warmed up and every one i talk to says the same thing...they hate washington place as much as california plates and the live for speeding tickets.
good luck with your new toy Ghostrider....will be spending some time on amazon shopping for my next up coming trip...i have that fast black one!!
be safe

Fla_rider
05-15-2014, 08:11 PM
That takes some balls passing a State Trooper higher than the posted speed. I have always driven slightly over the posted speed limit. In strange lands I slow down. I live between three counties and a lot of municipalities. If its a Sherriff or county mountie and he's out of his jurisdiction or a city out of their jurisdiction, I ask them if I'm being detained when they stop me if they say yes then I ask them what crime are they accusing me of. Basically, I don't give a poop about LE out of their jurisdictions.

But the thread makes me want to get my Rocky Mountain unit out of storage...:icon_rolleyes:

Scotrod
05-15-2014, 08:58 PM
That takes some balls passing a State Trooper higher than the posted speed.:

Depends where you're at I guess. I have no problem here in Houston slow rolling a LEO who's draggin along at the posted limit. Naturally, I do it very 'gently', but no one really drives the limit here anyway.

Perhaps y'all just 'look' like thugs? :crackup:

Retired Army
05-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Ok those owners with the black model better come up with some performance awards or the red model takes the speed crown.:077:

CaptRob
05-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Guess I better stay in Georgia. They allow 10 over. Other states I mite end up in jail.

+1 Georgia

Ixol Phaane
05-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Yeah, you folks with the Reds and the Blacks just keep those officers busy gettin their quotas. :biggthumpup:
Lord knows the Yellows are so fast they can't even be seen til they're GONE! :039:

smokinjoe187
05-16-2014, 02:06 AM
Ok those owners with the black model better come up with some performance awards or the red model takes the speed crown.:077:
you realize the black one is stealth....

ghostrider
05-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Looks like the Whistler detector I just picked up.:icon_biggrin:

Yes!! It seems to work great for me and has saved me for sure.

A few days back there was a cop holding a radar gun at traffic on the freeway as I went by him. My detector never even bleeped. I'm thinking he was just holding it there to for show. haha .......unless he is using some sort of new system that my detector didn't pick up!! :banghead:

ghostrider
05-16-2014, 11:56 AM
That takes some balls passing a State Trooper higher than the posted speed.
:

I was just creeping by him!!!!! :icon_evil: I thought he wanted to see my new bike :icon_redface:

Retired Army
05-16-2014, 11:56 AM
you realize the black one is stealth....

Stealth black paint is much heaver than fast red without clear coat.

Scotrod
05-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Mines blue as it approaches and purple once it passes ya by!! LOL!!! The ability to change color on the fly is far more 'elusive' than stealth!!! LOL!!!

unsub
05-16-2014, 12:15 PM

:lolup:

Retired Army
05-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Let's settle this once and for all. What color makes it to the 125 mph limit first? :icon_frown: My 2013 red is scheduled in the shop on Mon to be painted yellow with clear coat, most of the red got thrown out on the wax rag. Photo at 11

smokinjoe187
05-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Stealth black paint is much heaver than fast red without clear coat.
yes but the swirls in the paint deflect the laser..!!

ghostrider
05-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Let's settle this once and for all. What color makes it to the 125 mph limit first? :icon_frown: My 2013 red is scheduled in the shop on Mon to be painted yellow with clear coat, most of the red got thrown out on the wax rag. Photo at 11

You will probably notice a slight slowness in your bike, now that it's going to be yellow and not the fast red one.

Wild Bill
05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
After years a driving over the road trucking I have learned radar detectors just don't work for me. There are way to many cops run instant on radar and don't travel with the radar allways on. But I can say the radar dector has allways let me know I just got a ticket. Have not run one for years because of this.False sence of protection.

Scotrod
05-16-2014, 08:52 PM
After years a driving over the road trucking I have learned radar detectors just don't work for me. There are way to many cops run instant on radar and don't travel with the radar allways on. But I can say the radar dector has allways let me know I just got a ticket. Have not run one for years because of this.False sence of protection.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

CaptRob
05-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Thats BS!!!!!

CaptRob
05-17-2014, 07:47 PM
I do think red cars and bikes LOOK faster! Maybe this is rumor, but I was told many years ago that insurance was more for a red sports car than any other color. So it's settled red looks faster while black wins the race!!

Retired Army
05-17-2014, 07:57 PM
You will probably notice a slight slowness in your bike, now that it's going to be yellow and not the fast red one.

Wasn't looking for a fast color, am hoping everybody says look at the clown on the cycle.:icon_cool:

Joker
05-18-2014, 07:48 PM
I was very lucky recently. I live in Dallas and ride quite a bit (yes the traffic sucks) and when an opportunity came up to pass a slow moving car I did so with a little
extra on the throttle. My heart sank when I spyed a motorcycle cop under the approaching bridge. When I looked down at the speedo i was doing 90 and I was only
50 yards or so away from the cop. He had me! Radar gun pointed right on me. I didn't brake but just let off the throttle and as I passed him he just shook his finger
at me. Looking in my mirror just waiting for him to come get me but he just stayed put. Whew!!!

thunder217
05-18-2014, 08:31 PM
I had the county sheriff whip around on me from the other side of the road and indicated that I was traveling 84 in a 65. Handed me a ticket told me it would be $271 I excepted and folded the ticket up never even look at it since I already knew the ticket would cost me $271 from the moth of babe. Went home depressed and at a much slower speed. But mind you I had no idea how fast I was going on a open road with no one around me. Got home was still depressed and decided to whip the ticket out and pay while it was still on my mind and the ticket turned out to be a warning. I think the thing that got me over was he looked back at me after he requested my license and said your 56. LOL Live to ride. Keep those wheels turning. :icon_redface: