PDA

View Full Version : First time to Arkansas!

jeffro413
09-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Every year I go to "Sturgis" but actually stay in Deadwood. I don't remember the last time I was actually in Sturgis (the town). I go the week before so I'm able to ride. This year, I went again but 1 trip just wasn't going to cut it. A buddy and I headed south (from Iowa on our F6B's) Monday morning. It was 45 and misting when we left. 587 miles later it was lower 80's and sunny! I've never been to AR before but have always wanted to go. We stayed in Fayetteville on night 1. I have a friend who owns Heartland Honda so that was destination #1. From there we headed out on 412 to 16 to 23 and a bunch of "hey that road looks cool, take a left". Since I'm a Honda dealer destination #2 was Russellville. From there we rode up 27 to 7. We got dumped on, on this stretch of road. Luckily there were a couple other bikes pulling into a rest area. I noticed their headlights and we pulled in. Otherwise I'm not sure I would have seen it. Once the rain stopped we headed up 123 (I've heard this road be called a couple of names and the only one that stuck was the AR dragon but I could be wrong). This started out great, then the fog rolled in! At times I bet there wasn't 2 yards of visibility. But we soldiered on. If you've been on this road, the pictures attached are around the 10mph curves, that was the most visibility we had until the fog actually lifted towards the end. I still had fun, and was able to open the bike up towards the end. From there we headed to Eureka Springs, which is where we stayed that night. For supper we headed to the Cat House. We ran into a couple locals on bikes. After talking to them, she is actually opening a bar that I believe is on the southwest side of Eureka. Its called 2 Wheels. If you are in the neighborhood, tell her that 2 crazy Iowans sent you. Next day we rode 23 to 187 and then back through Holiday Island on our way to Branson and then Osage Beach (for the night) and then Home. Total trip was just under 1900 miles. I'm not over 5000 for the year on my 2014 F6B, which is a HUGE year from me. I'm definitely heading back to Eureka! Thanks for reading, enjoy the pictures.

Shelter from the rain along 7
Fog along 123
Wood Suspension bridge along 187 (I believe)
2 Wheels, pre-Bikes, Blues and BBQ. I won't tell her story, but she's a really neat person and I hope this thing works for her. Please if you are in the area stop by and say "Hello". And remember to say you heard about her from 2 crazy Iowan's!

XKnight
09-19-2014, 10:08 AM
AR has some great riding.:icon_cool: I go up there once a year in summer or fall to ride around the Ozarks.

Arkf6bRider
09-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Looks like you kept No. Of I 40. There are a few good rides So. Around Hot Springs..I've lived here for 60ish years and still not tired of the good backroads.
Glad you enjoyed your ride in the natural state.

Sorcerer
09-19-2014, 04:46 PM
You should have gone just a little farther east. 371 / Push Mountain Rd. Between Mountain Home and Mountain Veiw. I was dragging the right front crash bar with the front end starting to unload in one corner.

jeffro413
09-20-2014, 11:33 AM
You should have gone just a little farther east. 371 / Push Mountain Rd. Between Mountain Home and Mountain Veiw. I was dragging the right front crash bar with the front end starting to unload in one corner.

Next year! This was a quick trip and I was totally blind on which way to go. But yes, we heard about that road on the way home actually.

Memphian
09-22-2014, 01:05 AM
I try to ride Arkansas roads as often as I can. Being that I live just across the Mississippi river from Arkansas its not dificult to get a group of friends together and head west. The state is beautiful and always a joy to ride.

JackB
09-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I road the northern part of Ark. Not a bad road anywhere.:biggthumpup::biggthumpup:'all/right''all/right''all/right'