PDA

View Full Version : Is there a video on oil change ?

wantone
09-19-2014, 10:13 AM
I cud not find any video online on a oil and filter change. I have 1000 miles and wanted to switch to full synthetic fluid. Don't want to take it to the dealer. Long wait and costly.

XKnight
09-19-2014, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Ib8Xc9gew

Hornblower
09-19-2014, 10:34 AM
I cud not find any video online on a oil and filter change. I have 1000 miles and wanted to switch to full synthetic fluid. Don't want to take it to the dealer. Long wait and costly.

I'm not trying to be smart but here's a YouTube of a cute 5 year old doing it on a Goldwing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Ib8Xc9gew

Those instructions should work fine for your "6". Really though, this job is so simple and easy that video instructions may not be necessary. You don't even have to remove the lower cowl for this job. Of course, if you've added a belly pan, you will have to work with that. You may want to consider the Fumoto Quik Valve to make future oil changes even easier. I love those things :yes:.

wantone
09-19-2014, 10:42 AM
You may want to consider the Fumoto Quik Valve to make future oil changes even easier. I love those things :yes:.

I just looked at Fumoto. Where do I find the one that fits F6b ?

Hornblower
09-19-2014, 11:30 AM

You really would benefit from using our Search function. Simply enter "Fumoto" and see what you find. If you still have trouble, let us know.

Phantom
09-19-2014, 11:39 AM
:biggthumpup: Search function works .....

:cheers:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?358-Fumoto-Drain-Valve-for-F6B&highlight=Fumoto

bob109
09-19-2014, 12:23 PM
If you feel a little creative you can massage the front cowl a tad and it will give you some additional room whenever changing the filter:icon_wink:

Here's my Thread on the mod!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3713-Oil-Filter-Clearance-Remedy

Reedman71
09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Ib8Xc9gew

Ouch... Not the way to make friends and influence people.

Injun Joe
09-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Not a super big priority for most here if you haven't noticed. :shhh:

* Very Thankful for the exceptions!

Phantom
09-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Not a super big priority for most here if you haven't noticed. :shhh:

* Very Thankful for the exceptions!

Sorry to disagree, I see the post as showing the OP how simple it is, and that he can't screw it up ... even a 5 year old can do it.

The second reply answered the Original Poster's Question if there was a video showing an oil change, which there was.

I took the response as HUMOR, no need to get our panties in a wad nor start drama on this board.

Attendees of the last 2 F6B Rallies will VOUCH for our HUMOROUS ways, laughter is part of life. We were even kicked out from a Hotel Pool earlier in the year (Key West ride) because we were laughing so much at each others expense, I blame Fire-Tech, 3putt, DeerSlayer and HornBlower for that one. I had never been ousted from a pool for having too much fun :shock:

Just ask Calvin, our SEXIEST Rider award recipient at the Rally, he rolled with the punches and we all had a good laugh at his expense. I know that he will get me back sometime in the future but we are GROWN men with THICK skin that can take a little bit of sarcasm or in this case humor.

RELAX and look at it from the funny side, this board is NOTHING like any other Forum on the web, we ALL get along and I have YET to meet anyone at the multiple gatherings that we've had in Daytona or Franklin that I didn't like ! (Dickie, I love you too :poke:)

Let's ride and don't take everything posted too seriously ..... 'riding'

Steve 0080
09-19-2014, 03:22 PM

You may want to consider waiting till 4K miles....just to make sure the rings are scrubbed in......

wantone
09-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Sorry to disagree, I see the post as showing the OP how simple it is, and that he can't screw it up ... even a 5 year old can do it.

The second reply answered the Original Poster's Question if there was a video showing an oil change, which there was.

I took the response as HUMOR, no need to get our panties in a wad nor start drama on this board.

Attendees of the last 2 F6B Rallies will VOUCH for our HUMOROUS ways, laughter is part of life. We were even kicked out from a Hotel Pool earlier in the year (Key West ride) because we were laughing so much at each others expense, I blame Fire-Tech, 3putt, DeerSlayer and HornBlower for that one. I had never been ousted from a pool for having too much fun :shock:

Just ask Calvin, our SEXIEST Rider award recipient at the Rally, he rolled with the punches and we all had a good laugh at his expense. I know that he will get me back sometime in the future but we are GROWN men with THICK skin that can take a little bit of sarcasm or in this case humor.

RELAX and look at it from the funny side, this board is NOTHING like any other Forum on the web, we ALL get along and I have YET to meet anyone at the multiple gatherings that we've had in Daytona or Franklin that I didn't like ! (Dickie, I love you too :poke:)

Let's ride and don't take everything posted too seriously ..... 'riding'

Agree !!! I've encountered very helpful folks here. But I do ask sometimes some silly questions

wantone
09-19-2014, 03:36 PM
You may want to consider waiting till 4K miles....just to make sure the rings are scrubbed in......

Really !!! U think so. Someone told me to change it around 1k or 2k miles so that oil starts setting-in in the engine components. I guess 3000 more miles is not going to hurt it. I'll do it at 4k then.

Just 2b sure. I have come across on the forum here that most of u guys like Rotella T6. I have used full synthetic Mobil1 in my star 1300. I think I'll get rotella t6 from wal-mart.

Thanks

Injun Joe
09-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Really !!! U think so. Someone told me to change it around 1k or 2k miles so that oil starts setting-in in the engine components. I guess 3000 more miles is not going to hurt it. I'll do it at 4k then.

Just 2b sure. I have come across on the forum here that most of u guys like Rotella T6. I have used full synthetic Mobil1 in my star 1300. I think I'll get rotella t6 from wal-mart.

Thanks

I got all the oil and filter thinking to do it at around 2,000 but the oil looks so clean that I still haven't done it.

* BTW, the bike I'm coming from is a VStar 1300 as well. Didn't think I'd be getting another heavy weight, but dreams do come true. ;)

Injun Joe
09-19-2014, 04:18 PM

+1

I still feel a little nervous doing so, but I think that's exactly what I might end up doing.

hossners
09-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I did my first change at 3K, and the oil was about the same color as the stuff going back in - clean as a whistle. Very impressive!

Steve in OR

Steve 0080
09-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Thanks

Wal Mart has the blend on sale for $12.97...picked up a gallon for the mover and top off the truck!!!!! $3.25 per quart how can you go wrong??? I usally run the bled in my bikes.... can't afford the full monty!!!

Slingah
09-19-2014, 09:05 PM
I just did mine at 3500 today. Super easy. Putting the cowl back on was the hardest part.
Did the Rotella T6. Used it in my VTX too. Shifting noticeably better. Drained oil was still pretty clean! The manual is all you need if you're concerned about anything.

srt8-in-largo
09-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Fumoto F106SW.

^^^ Agree.

Many people change oil much more frequently than needed.

XKnight
09-21-2014, 05:26 PM

I thought the oil change video was funny and informative. I haven't read this book yet, but if it covers Goldwing oil changes then maybe I should...

http://unleashthegoddess.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/2562-1.jpg

Hornblower
09-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Me and you both, XKnight! Like you, I was a little surprised when I saw that reaction to our two posts. Interestingly enough, that video is one of the first ones that pops up when you search for Goldwing oil changes. I actually watched some of it and decided that it would be a good one to link to. Frankly, I thought it was a pretty well-done video and, after all, we were trying to respond to a new rider with the message that it's not a difficult job at all. You just never know how you are going to be received when you post something.

53driver
09-21-2014, 06:48 PM
+1

I still feel a little nervous doing so, but I think that's exactly what I might end up doing.

Concur. I am going to follow the manual. But this is "new" territory for me. I like changing oil. It's fun to change oil. I think I am doing goodness by changing oil. Especially the first oil change which was ALWAYS before 1000 miles on anything I have every owned.

But I have seen a Valk (15,500 miles) where the rings never "scrubbed in" and she burned oil. Only running it on Full Choke for a tank of gas at highway speeds did the engine shape up and stop burning oil.
Since my riding is mostly commuting at speeds below 40, I shall wait until 4k. Even though I have the oil and filter already.....

Cheers,
Steve

XKnight
09-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Me and you both, XKnight! Like you, I was a little surprised when I saw that reaction to our two posts. Interestingly enough, that video is one of the first ones that pops up when you search for Goldwing oil changes. I actually watched some of it and decided that it would be a good one to link to. Frankly, I thought it was a pretty well-done video and, after all, we were trying to respond to a new rider with the message that it's not a difficult job at all. You just never know how you are going to be received when you post something.

Very true! :yes:

wantone
09-21-2014, 10:02 PM

I took it as a humor. No worries. Plus this will be my first time doing an oil change. So lil cautious.

RoadWeary
09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
That's a cute video.

hiflyer
09-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Oil changes take me 10 minutes max. My changes were at 2500, 5k, 8k, and now 12k. 4k interval from now on. Rotella and Bosch for me.

Steve 0080
09-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I also thought the video was well done and cute. I would only add to warm the bike up some and to open the oil check to release any vacuum so the oil will flow freely...

The changing oil under 1K is " old thinking " .... it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks... as far as picking on some one...YA will do it all the time.... not meant to offend, just showing we care in our own special way!!!

badpapi
09-25-2014, 05:40 PM
:lolup::lolup::lolup:
this is so hilarious the i may let my 5 year old do my oil change and record him .
just want to see how he does because he always want to help went im under my bike messing something up.

GONRDN
09-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Gonna do mine soon too. Can I leave the front cowl on or should I take it off? Looks like I can get to the filter without taking it off. Just looking for some pointers.

hiflyer
09-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Gonna do mine soon too. Can I leave the front cowl on or should I take it off? Looks like I can get to the filter without taking it off. Just looking for some pointers.

If you use the right kind of filter wrench, no need to remove cowl.

GONRDN
09-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Thanks pal. I'll look for a filter wrench.

srt8-in-largo
09-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Here's one:

http://wingstuff.com/products/30448-3-in1-oil-filter-wrench-w-dual-end-for-goldwing?from_search=1