PDA

View Full Version : Center Stand

Westernbiker
06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Has anyone tried and successfully put their F6B on the center stand by themselves? I was attempting it at one time but thought......If I miss and drop her, I will be UPSET! :icon_doh:

jkelley
06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Yup, no problem here. I grab the left seat handle with my right hand and step down on the center stand with my right foot, and up she pop's.

Memphian
06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
To protect your bike don't raise the side stand. If you can't get the bike up on the center stand the first try the side stand will still be down and prevent you from dropping the bike. I use my center stand when I wash and wax my bike but never raise the side stand.

TennX
06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
A trick I learned when I had my GL1500 was to back over a piece of wood , makes bringing the bike up easier...after some practice I was able to do away with the wood...good luck

gray rider
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
It helps greatly to have on boots with a stiff sole and then get all your weight on the center stand tang. I agree that for safety leave the side stand down.

Trike lady
06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
There's a video for the procedure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS0uToSeM34
:clap2:

Bruce B
06-19-2013, 10:39 PM
I had a standby safety catcher on the right side of the bike for my initial attempts. Now, no problem. I think getting the motion right and doing a strong follow through is important. Can't say that mine pops up easily though. I've gone from being a bit afraid of the operation to being able to do it wearing a pair of Tevas. I'm 70 and and in just average shape. Those recommending leaving the sidestand down are absolutely right. For peace of mind, it's good to remember that, as the bike raises, the width of the centerstand holds the bike vertical. There are no forces trying to make it tip one way or the other unless, of course, you are shoving it one way or the other.

jlig
06-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Think of "Pushing the center stand DOWN" rather than "lifting" the bike "up". Find a balance point on the center stand by rocking the bike slightly left to right, put all you weight onto the Center Stand and it should pop right up. It should be weight onto the center stand, NOT strength to lift it.

Darkknight
06-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Yes, definitely good boots help and I also start with the side stand down.
Make sure my front wheel is straight then lower the center stand and I gently rock the bike side to side to find the spot where both centerstand "feet" are in contact with the ground. Then I grab the passenger rail, stand on the centerstand and lift in one motion.
This has worked for me 99% of the time. The only time it didn't come right up was when the front wheel was not straight.

Westernbiker
06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice it was greatly appreciated and the video was very helpful also, Thank you all!