PDA

View Full Version : Kickstand came down in stop-n-go traffic

bob
09-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Can't believe I did this, I was in stop and go traffic and accidentally brought the kickstand down. Just riding along in stop-n-go traffic (e.g. construction area going down to one-lane), feet down then up, then down, sometimes going a-bit without putting my feet on the pegs, all of a sudden my bike shuts down. Immediately start trying to re-start, no-go, wondering what the frack is going on when another bike rides up to my right and yells my kickstand is down.

Sure enough it was. No way I forgot to put it up, traffic didn't start till many miles from home, must of got caught when I was putting my feet down/up in the stop-n-go traffic. Never noticed a tug or anything when putting down my feet, just making me a-bit rattled, that darn kickstand just goes down too easy. I had been getting up very early for work the last two mornings, maybe a-bit tired and dragging my feet.

Wondering if I need to do something to make sure that kickstand doesn't come down so easy. Any suggestions? Read some threads about floorboards making it harder to get at the kickstand, maybe that is what I need, time for some floorboards...

Sorcerer
09-20-2014, 07:51 AM
Do the Village People look. Pants inside the riding boots.:yikes:

Sorcerer
09-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Or the Red Green duct tape thing on the left pants cuff. With all the colors available you should be able to match the color of your pants.:039:

richw56
09-20-2014, 08:22 AM
When I first got the F6B, I noticed that it seemed a little too easy to touch the kickstand, both when picking my foot up as well as putting it down.
I think I may have automatically started adjusting my foot/leg movement accordingly to better avoid it. I wouldn't be surprised if you're not the only one who's pushed the stand down accidentally.
The ideas already mentioned in prior posts should help.

bob
09-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Ya, you all are probably right, must of got caught in my pants cuff... I will start looking at replacing my wardrobe with those straight-leg style jeans (e.g. ankle huggers). Better-half will probably be more apt to go with that VS new floorboards/shifter route.

Deer Slayer
09-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Ya, you all are probably right, must of got caught in my pants cuff... I will start looking at replacing my wardrobe with those straight-leg style jeans (e.g. ankle huggers). Better-half will probably be more apt to go with that VS new floorboards/shifter route.

File under s--- happens. You kicked the kick stand. We have most all done it. See ya..

Steve 0080
09-20-2014, 08:52 AM
File under s--- happens. You kicked the kick stand. We have most all done it. See ya..

Not me!!! Although I did cut one inch off my kick stand and when I put it back on I used moly grease...it goes down real easy!!!!

bob
09-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I'll say this, thank you to who ever invented the kick-stand kill switch. Saved me a world of hurt!! :icon_biggrin:

FF-Ed
09-20-2014, 09:07 AM
In another thread, I remember someone else mentioning accidentally catching the kickstand..

hasn't happened to me yet.

(I guess it's time to ditch those Bell Bottom Pants,, Bob!)

Injun Joe
09-20-2014, 12:24 PM
I've done it once but knew it immediately. Usually I'm searching for the kickstand way too far back because that's where it was on my last bike.

Johncmendenhall
09-20-2014, 02:11 PM
I went over speed bump, not too fast, and heard/felt the kickstand bounce just little.
I wondered then about the spring tension on the kickstand, but forgot about it until this thread came online.
Anybody have any thoughts about the spring on kickstand needing a bit more tension ?
Just food for thought.

opas ride
09-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Accidently pulled down kickstand with heel of my boot once shortly after I got the bike...Have learned to be more aware of my boot positions since....No harm down as motor shut down while I was at a stop....

bob
09-20-2014, 11:43 PM
(I guess it's time to ditch those Bell Bottom Pants,, Bob!)

But, motorcycle pants don't go with my huaraches and tie-die. The sacrifices we make!!!

shooter
09-20-2014, 11:54 PM
I agree with Rich. That's the easiest kickstand to put down I've ever seen. I did the same thing and changed my habits with my leg movement. Also added passenger boards which makes you keep your legs farther forward.

Spanky
09-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I have the opposite problem. we need a locking kick stand like the harleys. I keep rolling it off while parking it on an incline. I like to leave the bike in neutral. Guess i just have to keep it in gear.

Random Factor
09-21-2014, 09:04 AM
I have the opposite problem. we need a locking kick stand like the harleys. I keep rolling it off while parking it on an incline. I like to leave the bike in neutral. Guess i just have to keep it in gear.

You are right! But even in gear, it can still creep forward on a surprisingly moderate hill. Its a heavy bike.

I keep a small wooden wedge in the corner of a saddlebag in case I find myself needing to chock a wheel.

Steve 0080
09-21-2014, 09:28 AM

That is an old H.D. habit... The only time I put my bikes in neutral is in the garage....