09-21-2014, 05:35 PM
:icon_cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdcWd594lRw

Hornblower
09-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Yes, interesting, but man, that's a lot going on inside that helmet :yikes:

XKnight
09-21-2014, 06:22 PM
GPS in a helmet sounds interesting. The rear view camera looks distracting. At $1499 MSRP it's way more than I'm willing to pay for a helmet.

CarolinaRider
09-21-2014, 06:57 PM
I will be glad to test one out for them.

Hornblower
09-21-2014, 10:27 PM
All considered, I'm a fairly "geeky" guy but I will first look for comfort before considering some of these hi-tech features. For example, if you've ever had a helmet that didn't ventilate well in hot weather, no amount of tech features would justify it. And, if the fit isn't comfortable enough for all day riding, forget it in that case too. What if the helmet is extra heavy? That doesn't work well either. Maybe this new lid meets all those requirements but somehow, I'm betting it doesn't.

Darkknight
09-22-2014, 05:36 AM
All considered, I'm a fairly "geeky" guy but I will first look for comfort before considering some of these hi-tech features. For example, if you've ever had a helmet that didn't ventilate well in hot weather, no amount of tech features would justify it. And, if the fit isn't comfortable enough for all day riding, forget it in that case too. What if the helmet is extra heavy? That doesn't work well either. Maybe this new lid meets all those requirements but somehow, I'm betting it doesn't.

Yes, if it is not comfortable $1400 is a lot to have sitting in a closet. Without trying one first I won't be jumping to a SKULLY. Neat technology ideas though. I did offer to test it.

I have a brand new modular helmet. Yes it is a cheaper model but it felt good in the store. After about an hour riding it is painful right in the center of my forehead. So there it sits, collecting dust. I let a friend use it and it felt the same way for him.
The bottom line is if it is uncomfortable I won't use it. Period!
I paid what I consider a boatload of money for my SHOEI Neotek (around $600). But I can wear it on the hottest or coldest days and it's comfortable.

Steve 0080
09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
This helmet is supposed to fit like a Shoei 1200, it hat helps for size....

av8rdave
09-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Not without a chance to test it for comfort and general utility first.

If the technology is well integrated and intuitive enough, it could be a nice safety feature to have.

If this thing is at all successful in the marketplace, you will quickly see similar offerings from most of the major lid makers, most likely at better prices as time goes by.

Injun Joe
09-22-2014, 08:50 AM
I think you've already said it -- even momentary comfort in a brick and mortar tells you very little. It's only when you wear a helmet for a prolonged length of time that you can tell if it's truly comfortable... and by then of course it's too late to return.

I lucked out with my second helmet upon returning to motorcycling (A Roof RO10/Lemans.) Since then, I've been through four others and none have been quite right. I'm about to spend $95 for a new shield for the roof, repaint it, and let it be for awhile.

Westernbiker
09-22-2014, 02:23 PM
There is ENOUGH going on all around me when I am on a bike, I sure don't need all those other distractions.

av8rdave
09-23-2014, 05:26 AM
The first time I flew an airplane with a HUD, all that info did seem like a distraction. The FAA and the company required a fair amount of exposure to it in good weather only to allow time to get comfortable and learn to focus the eyes to infinity. Once you're familiar and comfortable, you wonder how you got along without it.

There is ENOUGH going on all around me when I am on a bike, I sure don't need all those other distractions.

richw56
09-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Very interesting stuff.
I'd like the GPS feature, but I'm not totally convinced the rear-view cam adds enough to the experience (compared to just glancing in the rear-view mirrors) to justify the cost.
Considering all the on-board electronics they had to pack into it, it really doesn't look too bad, either.
But since I just bought a new Shoei RF-1200 this past Saturday, I don't think I'll be in the market for something like this again anytime very soon.