PDA

View Full Version : Hi honey we're home

Wings of Fire
09-25-2014, 05:50 AM
WOOHOO,

Picked up the Baby today, brand spanking new 2014 Candy Apple Red Goldwing GL 1800 and rode her home 300 odd Kilometres.
Came down the freeway with the stereo blasting.....what a buzz.
still cant wipe the smile of my face, even after spending the next 1.5 hours polishing her with Mr Sheen.

Sorry guys decided to get the full Wing instead of the F6B even though it was a hard decision, and I love the F6B styling, the Wing won because of the extra bits and pieces,and I'm getting soft in my later years
have booked her in for Monday to get her first 1000 Kilometre service,

WOOHOO, I'm like a kid again.......wont get any sleep tonight :icon_biggrin:

Now.......where can I ride to after the service....mmmmmmm :shhh:

austin_tech
09-25-2014, 08:08 AM

How about Dairy Queen or your local Bingo parlor?

Sorcerer
09-25-2014, 08:24 AM
You may want to look at the owners manual. First service at 4,000 miles. Do check your tire pressure, that is something they seem to miss. Even more so if the bike has been sitting out on the show room floor.

Phantom
09-25-2014, 09:30 AM
How about Dairy Queen or your local Bingo parlor?

:crackup: funnypost.

Easy easy easy .... not everyone that owns a Goldwing is an old fart :f2:

I'm in my 40's and truly enjoy my COUCH Rocket 'mooning' No Dairy Queen or Bingo parlors yet :icon_wink:

Injun Joe
09-25-2014, 09:32 AM
You may want to look at the owners manual. First service at 4,000 miles. Do check your tire pressure, that is something they seem to miss. Even more so if the bike has been sitting out on the show room floor.

Hey! I grew up in Brooklyn Center! 70th & Perry and 63rd & Unity areas. Was there just last year this time.

Anyway, more to the point, my tire pressure was way off when I got The Black home. Glad I thought to check it.

XKnight
09-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Congrats on your new Wing. As mentioned, first service is recommended by Honda at 4K. When I bought my F6 the dealer told me to bring it back at 600 miles for the first service. I told the dealer to look at the Honda recommended service intervals for the F6B. I've been checking the oil regularly and it still looks clean at 3500 miles. I scheduled my first service for next week when I'll have right around 4K. After that I will do my own oil changes.

Injun Joe
09-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Congrats on your new Wing. As mentioned, first service is recommended by Honda at 4K. When I bought my F6 the dealer told me to bring it back at 600 miles for the first service. I told the dealer to look at the Honda recommended service intervals for the F6B. I've been checking the oil regularly and it still looks clean at 3500 miles. I scheduled my first service for next week when I'll have right around 4K. After that I will do my own oil changes.

I was thinking of doing my own oil change at 4k and let the dealer do the rest to save money. Think that will work?

wantone
09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
I may be wrong but isn't it true that the first oil change shud be done at 500 miles. I've done that on all new motorcycles. When I bought f6B I was talking to the service manager about first service and I told him I'll be back at 4 k. But he told me first service has to be done at 500 miles. And after that every 4k miles. I had paid for 3 yrs service when I bought the bike. So obviously he was not going to make any money off me by asking me to come early on oil change.

Injun Joe
09-25-2014, 01:01 PM
I may be wrong but isn't it true that the first oil change shud be done at 500 miles. I've done that on all new motorcycles. When I bought f6B I was talking to the service manager about first service and I told him I'll be back at 4 k. But he told me first service has to be done at 500 miles. And after that every 4k miles. I had paid for 3 yrs service when I bought the bike. So obviously he was not going to make any money off me by asking me to come early on oil change.

People here are saying first service at 4k. That's how I read my manual too.

XKnight
09-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Honda recommends first service at 4K and every 8K thereafter for oil changes. It's in your owners manual. If you already prepaid for the services and your dealer wants to do it earlier then no harm done. Lots of folks change the oil earlier out of habit.

XKnight
09-25-2014, 01:13 PM
I was thinking of doing my own oil change at 4k and let the dealer do the rest to save money. Think that will work?

Should be no problem, but the dealer may charge you full price for the first service anyway. Better check with them first. Other than the oil change they mainly make sure everything is torqued down to specs and do a visual inspection of the bike. The only reason I'm even bringing it in for the first service is I don't want any warranty issues down the road (i.e. Don't want Honda saying my warranty is void because I never brought it in for the first service). That being said, Honda's are pretty much bullet proof so I don't expect any issues.

Elroy
09-25-2014, 01:36 PM

+1 to this. Was riding the other day and thought my front tire sounded 'funny'. Pulled off and checked it.....24psi! Back tire was at 32psi....'twas my own fault for never checking it before. Promptly inflated both to 41psi. Changed the ride significantly.

Also +1 to Get-Go stations, FREE air, and it was even one of the fancy ones where you set your psi and the pump beeps and shuts off when it's hit it.

motozeke
09-25-2014, 01:37 PM
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

:nono:

XKnight
09-25-2014, 02:44 PM
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

:nono:

Maybe this will help. .batman-smilie.

http://i40.tinypic.com/9sctis.jpg

Wings of Fire
09-25-2014, 06:25 PM
At the shop during purchase.

Injun Joe
09-25-2014, 06:32 PM

Looks GREAT!

Denisr
09-25-2014, 06:36 PM
My service manual says the first oil/filter change is at 1000km/600m, love the F6b, great choice of colour

Steve 0080
09-25-2014, 09:18 PM
My service manual says the first oil/filter change is at 1000km/600m, love the F6b, great choice of colour

Why would your country be different than the rest ??? F6B ???

Denisr
09-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Why would your country be different than the rest ??? F6B ???

Don't know but after the first oil change the book states an oil change and filter change every 12000km/8000m, we do get ABS as standard here a swell. Strange isn't it.

austin_tech
09-26-2014, 07:22 AM

Gorgeous bike. And I do like full-size wings, just like ribbing their owners. I'm sure I'll be one sooner or later :icon_biggrin:

racer
09-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Sorry guys decided to get the full Wing instead of the F6B even though it was a hard decision, and I love the F6B styling, the Wing won because of the extra bits and pieces,and I'm getting soft in my later years

don't be sorry. It is your motorcycle. Congrats...

Retired Army
09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
WOOHOO,

Picked up the Baby today, brand spanking new 2014 Candy Apple Red Goldwing GL 1800 and rode her home 300 odd Kilometres.
Came down the freeway with the stereo blasting.....what a buzz.
still cant wipe the smile of my face, even after spending the next 1.5 hours polishing her with Mr Sheen.

have booked her in for Monday to get her first 1000 Kilometre service,

WOOHOO, I'm like a kid again.......wont get any sleep tonight :icon_biggrin:

Do you happen to know if it has a clear coat over the paint?

Wings of Fire
09-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Do you happen to know if it has a clear coat over the paint?

I'm not really sure if it has a clear coat......I know it has three coats of polish over it already as all it's done is rain since I came home with another three days of rain forecast

How convenient since the last two weeks have been nothing but sunshine:icon_biggrin:

FF-Ed
09-26-2014, 07:19 PM
my younger friends told me that the new Goldwing comes equip with erectile dysfunction.:icon_frown:

I opt'd for the F6B, I'm a little too young for that

ISLANDER1089
09-26-2014, 08:09 PM
People here are saying first service at 4k. That's how I read my manual too.

If you actually go to the maintenance schedule chart in your owner's manual it says the first oil change is at 600miles/1000 kms. and the next change is at 8000 miles/12000 kms.
This was taken off the American Owner's Manual.

XKnight
09-26-2014, 08:23 PM
If you actually go to the maintenance schedule chart in your owner's manual it says the first oil change is at 600miles/1000 kms. and the next change is at 8000 miles/12000 kms.
This was taken off the American Owner's Manual.

You boys in Canada must have a different version of the owners manual. I just checked mine again and it clearly states that the oil change interval is 4K and ever 8K thereafter.

ISLANDER1089
09-27-2014, 07:14 AM
You boys in Canada must have a different version of the owners manual. I just checked mine again and it clearly states that the oil change interval is 4K and ever 8K thereafter.

I stand corrected. Somebody on this forum recently posted a PDF version of the owners manual. This is where I got the information from. This morning I did a search on the forum to locate that post so I could verify the numbers. To my surprise there have been several posts about this issue and it seems that there are different schedules for different countries. One member said that outside the USA oil change intervals are much longer because Europeans tend to prefer longer intervals because it cuts down on maintenance costs. If you use a synthetic oil then 8000 or 10,000 mile intervals are perfectly fine as the oil holds up much better. People have always said that frequent oil changes is cheap insurance but with today's oils it really isn't necessary as we see with much longer manufacturers oil change intervals. I'm not sure if this will work but I will attempt to paste a link to a previous post on this topic.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2582-Different-Maintenance-Schedule-for-USA-vs-Foreign

Bottom line, this topic is quite individual and we tend to change our oil based on what we've always done before.

Watchdog
09-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Dealer told me 4000 miles when I picked it up. Will be doing my own oil changes.

Kurare79
09-28-2014, 03:40 AM
Congratulations to that red Beauty!

(...) we do get ABS as standard here a swell. Strange isn't it.

I can't tell why there is a difference to other countries, but in Germany noone would by a bike nowadays without ABS. So nearly every motorcycle already comes with ABS. In 2016 every new sold motorcycle has to have ABS in the European Community by law.

rumble-b
09-28-2014, 05:53 AM
1000 kms for first service for me too. Then it's every 12000 kms. Must be an Aussie thing.:icon_biggrin:

Injun Joe
09-28-2014, 08:30 AM
I can't tell why there is a difference to other countries, but in Germany noone would by a bike nowadays without ABS. So nearly every motorcycle already comes with ABS. In 2016 every new sold motorcycle has to have ABS in the European Community by law.

Wow. This has me really conflicted. I can see it from a safety perspective of course, but I kind of miss the skill it used to take to ride a motorcycle. For instance, I really miss having necessary shift points on my F6B. Anyway, the linked braking seems to be more than sufficient for me. I just need to remember to use the foot brake as well as the hand if I want to stop faster. :shhh: