PDA

View Full Version : Free National Park Day - Sept 27

GothamVengeance
09-25-2014, 10:50 PM
In case you didn't know, this Saturday is admission free at select National Parks.

If anyone in the Denver area is interested in joining me, the weather looks great for a ride through Rocky Mountain National Park. I've never been through it, and it's normally $20.

Injun Joe
09-25-2014, 11:38 PM
In case you didn't know, this Saturday is admission free at select National Parks.

If anyone in the Denver area is interested in joining me, the weather looks great for a ride through Rocky Mountain National Park. I've never been through it, and it's normally $20.

When were you thinking? I need to hang around in the morning for the DirectTV guy.

Injun Joe
09-26-2014, 10:08 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cudsE_xM7MM&feature=youtu.be

Hey, you mentioned that you'd never been before. Just wanted to give you a heads up that it's also elk rutting season up there. A couple years ago, I road straight into a herd crossing the road and must have had a twenty minute stare down with a young bull before he decided my puny machine and I weren't worth his time. Got the adrenaline pumping for sure. Years ago, had a similar stand off on highway 34 up there, but this time I was in a band van. I bet we were delayed well over an hour before the elk decided to mosey along.

GothamVengeance
09-26-2014, 11:08 PM
I am planning to head out in the morning. Taking 36 west from Estes and down the west side through Grand Lake for lunch. Thanks for the warning about the elk. Yikes! Bummer you'll be stuck at home at the mercy of a satelite tech.

GothamVengeance
09-29-2014, 07:04 PM

I couldn't ask for better weather on Saturday (no rain!). I didn't see any other F6Bs. A lot of sportbikes, though. There was an H-D jackass on the road who cut me off without warning coming into Estes, and then later on almost ran me over on a crosswalk and proceeded to pass cars in a no-passing zone. Because of the free day, there was obviously a lot of traffic and limited parking at the stops. Other than that, it was very enjoyable and will do it again sometime.

I ate at Sloppies Grill in Grand Lake and was really disappointed. If anyone has any recommended eateries in Grand Lake or Grandby, please let me know.

I took tons of photos with my dslr that I have yet to process, but here's one from my phone near the timberline.

Injun Joe
09-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Very nice! I only made it as far as the top because I started out so late and it was so slow going. I had fun though. It actually got windy enough that some of the aspen that were in full color on the way up, were almost bare on the way down.

This shot is from where everybody was waiting for the elk. I saw some in the trees and a herd maybe 500 yards in the distance is all. But there sure were a ton of people with lawn chairs and everything.

I haven't stopped for a full meal in Grand Lake in forever. We ate at a very nice Mexican place in Granby a couple years ago. I'll see if I can look up the name of that. I stopped for dinner in Estes at my favorite place and had some fantastic prime rib. (It was my birthday weekend after all!)

GothamVengeance
09-30-2014, 11:06 PM
That's a gorgeous shot! Where did you go for prime rib?