PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar risers

opas ride
09-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Starting to get a little uncomfortable kinda pain between my neck and shoulder blades after a longer ride these days..Knowing I am pushing 74+ and not as young as I used to be, wondering if any who have added Kuryakyn, MBL, or others risers to the F6B bars if they helped any, and worth the money....I only ride more than 200/50 miles these days, but did get a little painful in my upper shoulder blades area after about 125 mile ride yesterday...I have the Mustang seat which sets me about 1"lower, and I think I have normal length arms??..I am about 5'9" tall with a 29"inseam and 198lbs...Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Scotrod
09-26-2014, 02:17 PM
MBL 'Standards' here. Includes heavy allen 'cap' screws, unlike some versions w/shallow / thin head allen screws.

(Recently had a member with the shallow screw brand ("K") that had a tough time getting one of the screws back out. :071:)

Does help with the shoulder/neck pain.

Rocky's allow you to move the grips forward (and back), but 'forward' doesn't sound like what yer lookin for.

jkelley
09-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Rocky's are my favorite, much more adjustability. Unless you want to spend the big bucks for some really good bars.

Injun Joe
09-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Rocky's are my favorite, much more adjustability. Unless you want to spend the big bucks for some really good bars.

+1

Just be prepared to futz with them a little before you get it right.

RickW
09-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Starting to get a little uncomfortable kinda pain between my neck and shoulder blades after a longer ride these days..Knowing I am pushing 74+ and not as young as I used to be, wondering if any who have added Kuryakyn, MBL, or others risers to the F6B bars if they helped any, and worth the money....I only ride more than 200/50 miles these days, but did get a little painful in my upper shoulder blades area after about 125 mile ride yesterday...I have the Mustang seat which sets me about 1"lower, and I think I have normal length arms??..I am about 5'9" tall with a 29"inseam and 198lbs...Any thoughts would be appreciated....

About same height and same seat. Installed the Kuryakyn risers on mine set all the way back.
Way better, for me. Everyone has their preferences.

XKnight
09-26-2014, 05:11 PM
I installed the regular MBL risers and they helped a lot with the pain between the shoulder blades. I'm of similar height and also have the Mustang seat installed. Ideally I'd like to get the bars up a little more and back another inch, but am not ready to spend the extra money for HeliBars. The risers are a good and cheap fix for now.

opas ride
09-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the responses..Have not yet decided what I will do for now.. Doing some more research....Thanks again...

Jimmytee
09-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Well, for my 2 cents, I'll chime in here. I bought the Kury risers. They indeed brought back subtly the handlebars. However, I've noticed, after some longer days in the saddle, some sore neck and muscles between my shoulders. It's odd, because, I don't necessarily feel uncomfortable when I ride down the road. I do wish the bars were just a bit closer. I'm seriously planning to get the Helibars. Yes they're not cheap, but if I can get the ergonomics tweaked to be as comfortable as my Valk, I'll be extremely happy.

opas ride
09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
After riding again for a while today I did not notice much neck/shoulder discomfort as on my last couple rides..I think my age is working against me a little, at times, and also how much physical work I have done around the yard/house before I take a spin on the bike...So..for now I am going to leave the bars alone and not worry about it as most times things are fine when I ride....If I get a little pain, I'll just stop and rest for a few......

billv45
09-30-2014, 01:02 PM
I've tried both versions of MBL's and thought my comfort zone would be somewhere between the two so I got a set of adjustables from Rocky. They are all good BUT Rocky's are adjustable and more importantly, thicker. There is definitely less bounce and a more solid feeling felt at the grips with the thicker risers. IMHO...

Darkknight
10-01-2014, 03:34 AM
I'm using Rocky's Risers.
I'm 220, 5-10 and also had discomfort with stock setup.
Ergonomically, I found that with Rocky's, after adjustments I have almost a 90 degree elbow angle which I find very comfortable on long rides. I did notice however that when riding "the Dragon" I had the bars set a bit too close and too narrow. For pushing the bars in aggressive turns I would have liked to get them a bit wider and just a bit further forward.
I also have a rider's back rest so that will push me forward or back to hold the comfortable elbow angle as I get tired.
Now, this is the best part of Rocky's, They are adjustable... narrow to wide which also brings them forward or back. So since I do mostly longer rides and relatively few aggressive runs I'm unsure at this point if I will slightly adjust my bars. But it's nice to know I can.:icon_wink:

bobbyf6b
10-01-2014, 10:33 AM
I had the same neck/shoulder pain so I installed the Kury risers. Was comfortable around town but on a long ride the pain moved to my tailbone. I removed the up/back blocks and installed just the up wedge spacers. So far so good but I haven't gone out of town again yet.

2kewlgypsy
10-01-2014, 10:50 AM
I bought the MBL's that move closer on ebay for $40 used - put them on, and took em back off - didn't like them, though they did move in, up and back.
Just wasn't for me.
Maybe someday a set of Rocky's - but can't afford right now.
If anyone wants to try the MBL's shoot me a text, I'll sell em for the same 40 that I bought them for - if not, I'll just keep em with the other stuff I've accumulated for now.
2~kewlGypsy

WingThing
11-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Where does someone get the Rocky Risers from? How much are they and it there a pic of them? Can anyone install the risers or does it need to be done by a Tech at Honda Stealership?

Rocky
11-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Where does someone get the Rocky Risers from? How much are they and it there a pic of them? Can anyone install the risers or does it need to be done by a Tech at Honda Stealership?

You get the Risers from me via a PM with your contact info.
The kit is $105 shipped USPS priority mail w/tracking number.

The kit comes with instructions. they are bolt on, no modifications needed if you can handle small tools?.

I can send you a PDF file of the instructions to see if this is a task you are willing to try?.

Here is what the comfort risers will do that no other risers can.

This is what you get in the kit.

CoCoKola
11-08-2014, 05:44 PM
I plan on getting this from you early next year. One question: i read somewhere with some risers there are problems with replacing the covers on the handlebars.. not sure if I am saying that right.. hopefully that makes sense..?

thanks,
-Rob

XKnight
11-08-2014, 08:37 PM
I plan on getting this from you early next year. One question: i read somewhere with some risers there are problems with replacing the covers on the handlebars.. not sure if I am saying that right.. hopefully that makes sense..?

thanks,
-Rob

If you're referring to the plastic dust cover you can either leave it off or cut it to fit. It's more cosmetic than anything else. I left it off when I installed my MBL risers and when I decided to get Helibars installed the cover went back on. Kind of glad I didn't cut it up.