PDA

View Full Version : It seems I have messed up....

Kevbuckley333
09-26-2014, 10:40 PM
So I have never been the most mechanically inclined person but when I got the f6b the larger dimensions of the bike, and the fact that I seem to be able to squeeze my hands in everywhere I need to inspired me to try and do more myself. So one of my first small projects was installing the backrest (I own a 13 red standard) I took everything off the back the once only to realize that I needed to order the brackets, the dealer only sold me the backrest when I asked what I needed. I put everything back together, seemingly no problem and ordered my parts.

When I later disassembled and finally installed the backrest brackets the screws that secure the passenger grab handles on the right side would not retighten all the way down. I worked at it for about an hour and while looking at the problem closely it seems I somehow damage the threads in mounting points attached to the frame :yikes: . The screws definitely tighten but do so about a centimeter or so before they should....

I am not worried about the handles falling off or the screws coming loose but the handle has a little wiggle in it now that is not desirable... Is there a way to repair the mount threads? Or perhaps I should just use some rubber bushings to take up the empty space on the screws.

Any ideas or Opinions would be appreciated....I'm worried this DIY Project is going to become expensive quick.

Steve 0080
09-26-2014, 11:17 PM
You can remove the bolts, sharpen the ends and try again, check to see if the saddle bags will open, if not you do not have the latches in the correct position...take the bolts off and see if you can get a nut to go on...this should/could fix the thread if you dont have a thread chaser.... or order new ones if all else fails...

http://wingstuff.com/products/35360-rust-free-easy-mount-seat-bolts-for-f6b?from_search=1

Kevbuckley333
09-26-2014, 11:24 PM
You can remove the bolts, sharpen the ends and try again, check to see if the saddle bags will open, if not you do not have the latches in the correct position...take the bolts off and see if you can get a nut to go on...this should/could fix the thread if you dont have a thread chaser.... or order new ones if all else fails...

http://wingstuff.com/products/35360-rust-free-easy-mount-seat-bolts-for-f6b?from_search=1

I have the bags working smoothly, and I can get the bolts in and out. The threads on the bolts seem fine, it's the threads in the frame mounts I think are the issue....

bob109
09-27-2014, 12:00 AM
I have the bags working smoothly, and I can get the bolts in and out. The threads on the bolts seem fine, it's the threads in the frame mounts I think are the issue....

Get the right size "metric tap" and run it through the threads to clean them up. Shouldn't be a big issue "re-taping" them:icon_wink:

You can also take a small round file and dress up the holes on the rail rear sides. This little trick will give the handrail bolts a little "wobble room" when you insert them:icon_wink: A small "chain saw file" will work great:shhh:

jimsol1
09-27-2014, 06:17 AM
there are 2 long and 2 short bolts that hold the grab handles, did you use 2 short ones on the other side? It should be 1 long and 1 short per side. I would pull the other side and start over. Jim

53driver
09-27-2014, 06:53 AM
there are 2 long and 2 short bolts that hold the grab handles, did you use 2 short ones on the other side? It should be 1 long and 1 short per side. I would pull the other side and start over. Jim

+1. I scared myself forgetting that there were the 2 different bolt lengths. I disassembled on "Day 1" and tried to reassemble on "Day 3" forgetting this little factoid.

Best of luck,
Steve

Primo
09-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Check to make sure the right length bolts are in their correct holes. If so...

I had the same problem except it was the seat bolts. As previously said the easiest solution would be to take the bolt with you to your hardware store and match it up with the appropriate metric tap.

Buy the least expensive handle for it,go home and take a deep breath.

Take the tap, dip it into a 1/2 inch or so of oil then while holding it as straight up as possible gently turn the tap in the hole clockwise a few turns. Back it out of the hole and wipe off any loose shavings. A little more oil, a few more turns.... Repeat until you get past the damaged thread.

I've got ten thumbs. If I can do it so can you.

Good luck!

bob109
09-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Check to make sure the right length bolts are in their correct holes. If so...

I had the same problem except it was the seat bolts. As previously said the easiest solution would be to take the bolt with you to your hardware store and match it up with the appropriate metric tap.

Buy the least expensive handle for it,go home and take a deep breath.

Take the tap, dip it into a 1/2 inch or so of oil then while holding it as straight up as possible gently turn the tap in the hole clockwise a few turns. Back it out of the hole and wipe off any loose shavings. A little more oil, a few more turns.... Repeat until you get past the damaged thread.

I've got ten thumbs. If I can do it so can you.

Good luck!

Just did this process in addition to chasing the seat bolt threads. The frame holes have "powder coating in them" thanks to Mother Honda:shock:

The correct size tap and dye for the Seat Bolts is M8x1.25:icon_biggrin:

Kevbuckley333
09-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all of the advice... I will be buying the ezbolts posted above and attempting to retap the frame mounts, wish me luck...

Kevbuckley333
10-09-2014, 10:13 PM
So it took me quite a while to get the original bolts back out, one just would not budge. Once out I tried to tap the frame mounts, but at least the kit I bought the tap wrench went right into the saddlebags... how did others manipulate the tap, did you disassemble the saddlebags as well?

What I ended up doing was using the EZ bolts and the tap oil together and very slowly working the bolts back and forth in the frame mounts. I spent a good long while getting the ez bolts so they would set in the frame mounts before I re-installed the seat. It took a while but after a bit of work the ez bolts were seating far enough in the frame mounts to get the seat and grab rail set up securely.

I definitely turned a quick job into a long job but at least its done.. Will not take that seat off again any time soon.