PDA

View Full Version : Is F6B a keeper?

dba777
09-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Hey respectful forum,

I am coming to a honda f6b community from years of riding american choppers and large cruisers.

Recently I test rode an F6B and was amazed how well bike handles and smoothness of a ride. I started looking at ebay and craiglist for f6b's for sale. One thing i noticed in common that quite a few f6b owners sell their bike within a year of ownership. For example I see bunch of 2013 F6B's under 2000 miles online for sale around 15K, mileage various from 200 to 2000. It makes me believe that ownership turnover of f6b is high, much more then I have seen on harley's, big dog etc...
Taking into consideration that F6B is technically solid machine and has 3 year warranty, I rule out technical problems.
What is forcing owners to sell bikes within a year of purchase? Is that a wrong image in a harley country? Lack of extreme?

Any ideas from the forum would be appreciated...

Thanks all!

shooter
09-27-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't see too many guys displeased on here. Like you said the bike rides good handles like a dream and is ultra reliable. 3 year warranty , long and lean , mean and clean. Whats not too like. No one is twisting your arm. Buy another Hardley. 2nd best always keeps trying. Went to bike night Wednesday night. 600 bikes. 550 Harleys. Lot of good people stopping by asking about the B. She's long and low with lots of added chrome. I was pleased with the amount of interest she got. A die Hard Harley owner is not going to buy a Honda. It's all about appearances with some guys. Others like me just want an awesome bike. I can just say ride one.

Spanky
09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Good question. As a die hard hd guy, I can tell you for me it's a keeper. As a matter of fact,weI have 2.

Honda screwed up in my opinion. It is not a good Mc at 19999.00 it is a great bike at 16750. I think what you may be seeing is guys that bit the bullet at full msrp, and had regrets that for 4k more, they could get a full wing, with all the bells and whistles. If you can pick up a 2013 for 16k or so, then it is a great bike, and so what if you have to drop 2k in cruise and lights.

XKnight
09-27-2014, 09:03 PM
After owning a bunch of Harleys the F6B is a keeper for me. Fast, reliable, handles great and is comfortable. More low mileage Harleys out there than F6Bs or Goldwings. Like any bike, there are folks that buy them only to realize the bike doesn't fit them or they can't afford to keep it or they just don't really have what it takes to keep riding for a variety of reasons.

shooter
09-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I think you may have something there Spanky. I wouldn't give 20 for one. At 16995 and 1.5% financing I liked it. It's a keeper.

RoadWeary
09-27-2014, 09:21 PM
I don't know why the bikes don't sell better except for the price maybe. My last bike was a VTX 1800 f which is a big twin, and although I enjoyed the bike, it is nothing like the F6B. I bought a 2013 F6B this spring, (before all the sales :icon_frown:), and I love it. The big twin was great for riding around town, but this bike I just want to keep going and going. The 2015 has more features I believe. I love the temp gauge, fuel gauge, locking saddle bags, and locking glove compartment - things I never had before. (I know other bikes have these as well.)

I'm not an expert rider, but the F6B handles so well. With the twin, I sat back further, with my feet forward and the cornering was less precise. With the F6B I sit more like a sport bike and I feel like I have more control. My ankles and knees aren't so good, but I'm not so tucked in that I get discomfort.

I bought this bike so I could tour, but also feel comfortable going to the store or taking it to work. I'm getting older and not married anymore, so I'll be taking solo vacations and the F6B will be how I get there.

SCMike
09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
I've never owned a Harley. It always seemed to me that you had to spend so much for the HD name and culture and didn't get much bike. I also don't like air-cooled engines, particularly in the South. So I can't compare my F6B experience with Harley, but compared to the metric cruisers I've owned the F6B is a huge improvement. Much smoother, much more comfortable, better handling, better all around. I've put 6,000 miles on mine and have no intention of trading for any other bike. I honestly can't think of a bike I'd rather have.

bobbyf6b
09-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Some people are "it's new and I gotta have it" buyers and don't keep anything for long. I have to say that this is definitely more popular in the HD world. Look at CL or cycle trader and you can find newer, low mileage HD's all day long. I got my 05 Sportster a few months ago with 7k miles and the original tires on it.

The F6B is definitely a keeper. These bikes are built for low maintenance and high mileage. I know I plan to have mine for a very long time.

Grognard
09-27-2014, 10:22 PM
As a former FJR Rider who wanted sport/tour, I found a cruiser who is really sport minded. My wife now is saying let's ride more than I used to.... Does not get better than that.

Phantom
09-27-2014, 10:51 PM
:crackup:a quick search

2,626 miles ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Softail-2001-harley-davidson-heritage-softtail-w-screaming-eagle-pkg-very-low-/171471927356?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27ec85f83c&item=171471927356&pt=US_motorcycles

410 miles ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Sportster-2009-harley-davidson-nightster-xl-1200-n-extremely-low-mileage-always-/201180482287?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed74a8aef&item=201180482287&pt=US_motorcycles

3,000 miles ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Softail-Gorgeous-Extremely-Low-Mileage-2013-Heritage-Softail-Classic-/141418063659?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20ed2c672b&item=141418063659&pt=US_motorcycles

5,700 miles ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Touring-2010-hd-road-king-color-black-original-owner-low-mileage-5700-mi-/271617478185?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f3da9ce29&item=271617478185&pt=US_motorcycles

3,100 miles ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Sportster-2012-sportster-1200-custom-low-mileage-white-glove-clean-/141421392341?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20ed5f31d5&item=141421392341&pt=US_motorcycles

205 miles ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Sportster-883-sportster-like-new-low-mileage-comfortable-ride-/131304186431?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e9256e23f&item=131304186431&pt=US_motorcycles

chipmaker
09-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Im always cruising Craigslist, there cant be a brand that beats HD for low mileage turn over.

53driver
09-27-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm keeping the F6B for the long haul. Literally & figuratively.
I'm keeping my 95 FLSTN Special as well.
Two completely different rides.
Variety is the spice.
If I had to sell one? It'd be a tough call, but the B would still be here.
Cheers,
Steve

Philcole
09-28-2014, 03:18 AM
In Australia the F6B is damned competitively priced. I bought mine as an ex demo for $22900AUD. That is remarkable value. Base Harley FXD is more than that!! Mine is a keeper too. I will probably keep for 8-19 years then renew when I retire in 8-10 years. I love it to death.
:icon_lol:

Darkknight
09-28-2014, 05:00 AM
I always rode a cruiser. The biggest change I noticed was riding position. The cruisers I rode had forward controls, the B has my feet almost directly under me. My old body didn't really care for that change. I could see people not liking that change and going back to the other position.

But I never rode the kind of miles I ride now. Truthfully, I could see me buying a full wing, black, of course AND keeping my B. The experience of owning this bike has been amazing. I can't stop anywhere with out someone asking questions about it and complimenting.

Most of the HD riders I know, pay dearly for the name. Then pay for mechanical parts to make the bike go and stop fast. And a few of them that drive their bikes hard have had bad luck.
The Wing's unlimited miles 3 year warrantee speaks to the proven durability of the drivetrain. The power and handling were surprising to me.

I want to be different. I like that.
To me, loud doesn't mean cool. A monster bike, snapping through the twisties of "the Dragon" two up, after a 1000 mile ride to get there... that's cool. Riding to the top of MT Washington, with all its beauty, and having people taking pictures of my bike... that's cool.

I just don't see many Wings being worked on in my travels. If they are stopped, someone's having coffee... that's cool.

But I'm different.

F6B1911
09-28-2014, 05:27 AM
Not sure about the "quite a few" number, how many is quite a few? I just searched Craig's list in my area.
Searching "F6B" I found three, all are posts from a dealer for a new purchase, nothing used.
Searching "Harley" I found 2303, but that includes parts.
Searching "Harley Davidson" the number dropped down to 880.
Harley has been around forever so there are a ton in circulation.
However, the F6B is only 2 years old, so I would imagine you would have to do the math on the percentage of
F6B's for sale versus how many were sold in the area covered by your Craig's List search?
Then compare that number to the number of Harley's available on Craig's List.
I do agree with Spankyrir, the MSRP is too high.
I was lucky to get my F6B with $4,000.00 of list on a Honda promotion. I also got a full 7-year
warranty and $1,000.00 bonus bucks. With those 3 promotions I could not pass up the deal.
I've only hade mine since April of this year, but for me, its a keeper.

Parking a F6B in your garage is much, much different that test riding one.

fxdl2051
09-28-2014, 09:15 AM
The moment I sat on the f6 at a bike show I thought it was smart, different and comfortable. That and 12 years of Harleys had me looking for something better. 1st test ride I was smitten and knew the Streetglide was doomed to be a trade. When prices dropped, it became doable. At first I thought the seat and riding position might be an issue, but now it's way more comfortable than the Harley. I doubt I'd ever own a Harley again, Harleys sell a legend, Honda sells a superbly engineered machine. I don't really know if I'm going to keep the my other two bikes now that the f6 is in the garage, nothing beats it. Now what to do with all the Harley t shirts? As others have mentioned, if Honda does bring the price down, I think a lot more folks might be looking this way.

Jimmytee
09-28-2014, 09:58 AM
I know that this Forum is basically a "Fan Boy" page for the most part. We're all pretty much smitten by the F6B. I only say that because,at least to me, when I read or hear anecdotes about all the attention the bike gets, it comes to mind. However, in the most objective way I can be, I'm not exaggerating when I say this bike gets a LOT of positive attention from all riders including die hard Harley riders. Yesterday I heard the comment, 'It's about time Honda made a good looking bike like that":icon_biggrin:

motozeke
09-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm keeping the F6B for the long haul. Literally & figuratively.

Yep, this, exactly. I know pretty much every motorcycle on the market and have closely checked out pretty much everything in the touring category (except for the cruisers, which don't interest me at all). So I can state confidently, having eliminated other options, that the F6B is as close as the market provides to exactly what I'm looking for in an all-day comfort, beautiful, fun to ride, feature-rich, reliable motorcycle. Modding it to more closely fit my needs has been easy, and I'm almost done. I've stacked double the amount of miles this last year as I ever have on a bike. This one's a keeper. :biggthumpup:

Brian D
09-28-2014, 11:09 AM
I came from a 2013 roadglide to the f6. I really loved my roadglide and prob wouldn't have traded it if it hadn't broke down 4-5 times for the same electrical issue. I'm still having a hard time with letting that bike go harley def makes a beautiful looking bike Imo the f6 is different for better or worse in so many ways. I really love the snap of the f6 cause I have never owned a bike this fast and smooth but it does lack cock pit appeal. All those damn buttons looks so 20yrs ago. I think for the price Honda could have done a better job in that area. Its such a good looking bike though and it spanks a lot of bikes on the road. So I will keep it and pay it off Who knows what's next after the f6. Hey maybe Honda will get the cock pit updated and I'll trade up for a new one. Maybe hd will resolve there reliability issues (doubtful) and I'll get another Roadglide. Hahaha yeah right. I said goodbye to hd just like I do when I'm sitting next to one at a red light. The f6 is a keeper

opas ride
09-28-2014, 11:21 AM
I am not one of the people that bought at the right time to get these "good deals" so to speak...Even so, I got what I felt was a decent price on my trade, a 2011 Victory Vision, and a nice discount off MSRP at a time when Honda was not offering any discounts. Had bike custom painted at dealer and other goodies installed at delivery...Pipes, grips, chrome kickstand, etc. and love my F6B and plan to keep it for a while..At 74 this may, perhaps, be my last bike I don't know right now, but after owning many, many, bikes this is by far the nicest ride of them all!!..Spent the last couple days taking advantage of good weather in Michigan and stopped at a few dealers around the state. Harley, BMW, Victory,Indian...Nothing currently out there compares to the F6B, in my opinion, and for the money this bike is the best deal around....Ride safe and enjoy the day....

Scotrod
09-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Another reason folks may trade early is B/C they are coming in from the land of V-twins,,, The 6 is quite unlike a V-twin,,,.

If you define 'riding' as the single pin sound cranked up to 11,,, the tiny bits to keep all polished and clean, and a 'lifestyle',,,, well, the 6 may not be 'fulfilling',,, Might be downright bland,,, :shrug:

Different strokes for different folks.

kcmike
09-28-2014, 02:04 PM
It's possible that some of the F6B's he's seeing for sale are by owners who are looking to get a later model, hoping for cruise control or the upgraded tranny. Doesn't necessarily mean that all of them are disgruntled. Just sayin.

Watchdog
09-28-2014, 02:41 PM
I came from a 2013 roadglide to the f6. I really loved my roadglide and prob wouldn't have traded it if it hadn't broke down 4-5 times for the same electrical issue. I'm still having a hard time with letting that bike go harley def makes a beautiful looking bike Imo the f6 is different for better or worse in so many ways. I really love the snap of the f6 cause I have never owned a bike this fast and smooth but it does lack cock pit appeal. All those damn buttons looks so 20yrs ago. I think for the price Honda could have done a better job in that area. Its such a good looking bike though and it spanks a lot of bikes on the road. So I will keep it and pay it off Who knows what's next after the f6. Hey maybe Honda will get the cock pit updated and I'll trade up for a new one. Maybe hd will resolve there reliability issues (doubtful) and I'll get another Roadglide. Hahaha yeah right. I said goodbye to hd just like I do when I'm sitting next to one at a red light. The f6 is a keeper

I too came from a 2011 roadglide ultra. Had electrical and mechanical issues, I almost sold the bike and give up riding altogether. It was no fun anymore. Then I went to look at a used goldwing and saw the f6, I immediately liked the look better than the wing. Took it out for test ride and bought it that day. Got a good price on trade in and never looked back. This bike is a keeper.

motoman
09-28-2014, 06:42 PM
I don't think it has much to do with the bike. Lots of guys have buyers remorse after the payments start, and they think of other things they could use the money for. Nothing is better than that 'new bike feeling', but after that's gone, the payments are still there.

So they're basically 'renting' the bike for a while, have some fun, and sell it before winter starts when many can't ride it anyway.

Besides, there's always another bike to think about. :icon_mrgreen:

HHB
09-28-2014, 07:08 PM
I bought a new F6B on September 10, 2014 and I have never been more disappointed with a new bike in my 35 years of riding. After 18 days of ownership, it's going to be finding a new home this week. Perhaps part of my problem is that I have always ridden sportbikes, my latest one being a 2008 Kawi ZX-14, but that is not the whole reason that I am so disappointed. I am disappointed to pay nearly $20 for a bike that has paint that will scratch at the slightest touch. I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet. The shorty windscreen that came standard on the bike was useless, so I bought the tall Honda windscreen. Imagine my further disappointment when I removed the front fairing pieces to install the taller windscreen and found lots of loose hardware, such as screws, that had only been started in their holes, but left untightened. And then there is that God-awful gear whine that is as annoying as hell! I bought the deluxe Honda helmet headset and right out of the box, the first time I turned it on, the left speaker buzzes like a bee in my ear. And then, there is the heft of this bike that makes it totally unmanageable on my 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. It simply won't go in gravel and I'm having to park it in my barn which is close to a blacktop road. So, as you can see, my experience with the F6B has been a total disappointment. I plan on trading it off this week as I have to have a bike that I can ride without all these problems. It's just not fun to ride! Through the years I've owned Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Yamahas... all of which have never given me a bit of trouble. This is my first Honda and it will be my last. Yes, I hate this bike and can't see it leave my garage soon enough! Honda Motors, you should be ashamed. Thanks for listening to me complain guys; I certainly wish my experience with the F6B could have been different. Peace everybody, HHB.
Hey respectful forum,

I am coming to a honda f6b community from years of riding american choppers and large cruisers.

Recently I test rode an F6B and was amazed how well bike handles and smoothness of a ride. I started looking at ebay and craiglist for f6b's for sale. One thing i noticed in common that quite a few f6b owners sell their bike within a year of ownership. For example I see bunch of 2013 F6B's under 2000 miles online for sale around 15K, mileage various from 200 to 2000. It makes me believe that ownership turnover of f6b is high, much more then I have seen on harley's, big dog etc...
Taking into consideration that F6B is technically solid machine and has 3 year warranty, I rule out technical problems.
What is forcing owners to sell bikes within a year of purchase? Is that a wrong image in a harley country? Lack of extreme?

Thanks all!

XKnight
09-28-2014, 07:15 PM
I bought a new F6B on September 10, 2014 and I have never been more disappointed with a new bike in my 35 years of riding. After 18 days of ownership, it's going to be finding a new home this week. Perhaps part of my problem is that I have always ridden sportbikes, my latest one being a 2008 Kawi ZX-14, but that is not the whole reason that I am so disappointed. I am disappointed to pay nearly $20 for a bike that has paint that will scratch at the slightest touch. I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet. The shorty windscreen that came standard on the bike was useless, so I bought the tall Honda windscreen. Imagine my further disappointment when I removed the front fairing pieces to install the taller windscreen and found lots of loose hardware, such as screws, that had only been started in their holes, but left untightened. And then there is that God-awful gear whine that is as annoying as hell! I bought the deluxe Honda helmet headset and right out of the box, the first time I turned it on, the left speaker buzzes like a bee in my ear. And then, there is the heft of this bike that makes it totally unmanageable on my 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. It simply won't go in gravel and I'm having to park it in my barn which is close to a blacktop road. So, as you can see, my experience with the F6B has been a total disappointment. I plan on trading it off this week as I have to have a bike that I can ride without all these problems. It's just not fun to ride! Through the years I've owned Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Yamahas... all of which have never given me a bit of trouble. This is my first Honda and it will be my last. Yes, I hate this bike and can't see it leave my garage soon enough! Honda Motors, you should be ashamed. Thanks for listening to me complain guys; I certainly wish my experience with the F6B could have been different. Peace everybody, HHB.

Sounds like the F6B is more bike than you can handle. Fairly common problem. Not sure why so many people buy the biggest bike they can find only to figure out it simply doesn't work for them. Good luck finding a bike that works for you.

F6B1911
09-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Wow, I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience, I'll give you the paint issue. The helmet lock should be replaced under warranty.
I hope you have better luck with your next ride.
Ride Safe

hiflyer
09-28-2014, 08:09 PM
I bought a new F6B on September 10, 2014 and I have never been more disappointed with a new bike in my 35 years of riding. .

I, on the other hand, in my 53 years of riding (age 58) have never enjoyed a bike as much as I have the F6. I've been a life long motorcyclist and have owned a couple of hundred bikes. I have put more trouble free miles on this bike, in the time I have owned it, than any other bike before it. I have won championships racing motorcycles, have been associated with the MSF for twenty years, and can't even tell you the miles I have logged on two wheels. I write this, not arrogantly by any means, rather to reflect on my opinion of this motorcycle. No vehicle can do everything, however, this one does everything "I" want a bike to do, to the point that for the first time in decades, I own ONE motorcycle, because this is the only one I want to ride. Good luck on finding the one that will do for you, what my Honda F6B does for me.

One other thing, me and a lot of other guys around here just love flicking this hefty behemoth around in the twisties.

shooter
09-28-2014, 08:18 PM
HHB I'm not trying to be an ass and I'm not defending the B. You went from 500 lb bikes to an 850 lb bike. Big bikes aren't dirt bikes. Loose gravel is not a road. You should have put a little thought into your purchase. In your scenario an adventure bike might be more your cup of tea ie. part sport bike with some storage. Just sayin. I've lived on gravel roads and big bikes don't like loose gravel. If it's hard pack it is doable.

Jimmytee
09-28-2014, 08:33 PM
HHB, My experience is completely different from yours, but then my other bike is a Valkyrie. I'm in E-town, where did you buy your bike? Dan Powers?

bigbird
09-28-2014, 08:50 PM
II am disappointed to pay nearly $20 for a bike that has paint that will scratch at the slightest touch. I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet. The shorty windscreen that came standard on the bike was useless, so I bought the tall Honda windscreen. Imagine my further disappointment when I removed the front fairing pieces to install the taller windscreen and found lots of loose hardware, such as screws, that had only been started in their holes, but left untightened. And then there is that God-awful gear whine that is as annoying as hell! .

It's funny that all of your "disappointments" have nothing to do with the ride, performance, or feel of the F6B.
Selling a brand new bike because the paint MIGHT scratch if you're not careful?
Selling a brand new bike because the helmet holder MIGHT need replacing?
Selling a brand new bike because it has gear whine that should have been noticeable to you during a test ride before buying?

Either you're trolling, or you have no idea about what makes a bike a keeper or not.

motoman
09-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Sounds like the F6B is more bike than you can handle. Fairly common problem. Not sure why so many people buy the biggest bike they can find only to figure out it simply doesn't work for them.

The F6B is cheaper by the pound than any other bike.

:icon_mrgreen:

XKnight
09-28-2014, 08:58 PM
The F6B is cheaper by the pound than any other bike.

:icon_mrgreen:

That's a good way to look at it and when it fits just right it's hard to beat. The power, handling and comfort are second to none when it comes to big touring bikes. The paint is a bit soft and scratches easily, but I can always get it repainted down the road if needed and I'll still be ahead of the game. :icon_cool:

motoman
09-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Perhaps part of my problem is that I have always ridden sportbikes, my latest one being a 2008 Kawi ZX-14, but that is not the whole reason that I am so disappointed. bike that makes it totally unmanageable on my 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. It simply won't go in gravel and I'm having to park it in my barn which is close to a blacktop road.

I also had a ZX-14 and sorry to disagree, but that is not a 'sportbike'. It's more like a 'superbike'. It's also a great 'sport tour' bike with some soft luggage on it. However, after 3 tickets in one year, it was becoming a problem.

The F6B is a big heavy bike. The fixed fairing gives you a psychological disconnect from the road. However, it does handle well! You gotta have faith! Go ahead and lean it over in a curve, and lo and behold it won't fall over! There are videos on Youtube of full Wings leaned over farther than many sportbikes and we don't even have a trunk. But if you were happy with your ZX, not sure why you didn't get a similar bike like an FJR, Concours, maybe a BMW K1300?

As for gravel, nobody likes to ride in gravel, but you should not assume the F6B will just flop over at a moment's notice. Again, I think the weight and girth are intimidating you. There is a skill to riding in gravel, and the F6B will handle it as well as most bikes, maybe better with it's longer wheelbase.

My advice is to keep it a while longer and give it a chance. I know the first time I took my F6B through some twisties, I was thinking 'OMG, I'm going down!' but I had seen and heard about how well Wings handle, and sure enough everything was fine. Now I just basically throw the bike into a curve, and it almost seems to handle things on its own. Just don't panic and hit the brake. As far as your other issues go, not sure about that, bad PDI possibly?

Jimmytee
09-28-2014, 09:09 PM
It's funny that all of your "disappointments" have nothing to do with the ride, performance, or feel of the F6B.
Selling a brand new bike because the helmet holder MIGHT need replacing?
Selling a brand new bike because it has gear whine that should have been noticeable to you during a test ride before buying?

Either you're trolling, or you have no idea about what makes a bike a keeper or not.

Actually his experience aside, I think he is a legit owner. The shop down the street from me said they sold one to someone that was coming from a Kawasaki sport bike. The bike he bought , I believe, was a trade they did from another dealer. The trade was for a particular side by side ATV and included taking the F6B in the deal.The dealer got the bike in on Friday,and on Saturday it sold to someone who just happened to come in asking for a F6B.

srt8-in-largo
09-28-2014, 09:55 PM
MmmHmm... definitely a keeper.

motozeke
09-28-2014, 09:57 PM
The F6B isn't for everybody. And sometimes those people buy one.

Scotrod
09-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet

I got a crisp 20 that says the helmet lock ain't broke,,,,

But, if he's sellin it, no reason fer me ta tell him about the button,,,

'kickthecan'

grendl
09-28-2014, 10:16 PM
HHB,
I am sorry you spent your hard earned money on something that does not please you or isn't what you thought it would be.
I still have my 1000 Hurricane parked beside my F6B. Most of my buddies thought I would sell it,most of my Gold Wing friends cant understand why I would keep the 'Cane.
They are two different bikes,man. Designed to do something different.
Granted I have to wax the h3!! out of my big black dragon,just rode her in the rain today so back to it again tomorrow.
My point is I love both my bikes and the difference.
On the handling issue,I am used to my 'Cane in the twisties,right? So I found myself dragging my toes riding the F6B in the twisties. Once you get over the mental thing of how big it is and just ride it it will lean and carve amazingly !..And pull out of curves,most of the time without downshifting to find power.
Neither of my bikes like gravel and they deal with it differently too. The 'Cane is twitchy and you need a steady hand and full attention. The Wing,just ride it on your course. I will admit stopping it and slow ,stop and go in gravel brings pucker moments but once it's moving,no problem.I rode today with a buddy that has a long ,uphill ,single car gravel driveway.I am still wondering what I was thinking to pull up in there,but I made it.Point and shoot man..
I hope you find what you'r looking for, just thought I'd give some perspective since I can relate directly to what you are probably feeling since I own both types of bike and switch back and forth.
Give the F6B a shot,ride it,forget about how big it is.
And if you dont like it, I'll bet you wont have much trouble finding someone that would love it at used prices.
The original question, Is this bike a keeper? ABSOLUTELY!I am not thinking about trading, selling,or parting with it.It is a wonderful thing....I think the only thing better than having one...is to have two of them.

Scotrod
09-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Wouldn't be the first time,,,

Another member here sold his near new 6,,, believe it was last spring,,,,,, "Wasn't going to be Honda's paint Bi-atch" was one phrase,,, I believe Mamma wasn't real happy with the back seat either,,,

Here in the last month or so, the same feller bought his same bike back. Not a different F6B, mind you,,, the exact same F6B he traded in last spring,,, :shrug:

Sometimes, truth IS strange than fiction,,,,,,,,, :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
09-28-2014, 10:32 PM
LOL. I would call that person impetuous :icon_mrgreen:

People should understand that some manufacturers prefer using hard paint, and others make theirs rather soft. This isn't some kind of oversight or defect; it's a design decision. Unless they're up to speed on OEM paint, chances are 50-50 that their next vehicle will be just as soft.

The British and Japanese generally go soft; soft paint does not chip easily and is easily corrected. Germans are notorious for using HARD paint that resists scratches but is a bitch to correct and is fairly brittle (chips easily).

dba777
09-28-2014, 11:28 PM

Hey HHB,

Thank you for your opinion on the F6B. I have always been taking great care of my bikes, and it is to say the least, is upsetting to have things break. The paint issue is a known problem discussed in this forum on the multiple occasions. I believe an easy solution recommended by a member in one of the posts is to apply few coats of "Liquid Glass". It is relatively inexpensive under 20 bucks investment to protect a 20K machine. The speaker's buzzing and helmet set problem should be covered under warranty, I believe its 3 years and should be at no cost to the owner if I am not mistaken. I don't know about riding on a gravel, perhaps different tires will help. Perhaps someone might have a solution in this forum.

One thing I noticed browsing a forum is a relatively small number of complaints about technical issues. To me its a huge deal. My last ride was a large 9ft Big Dog v-twin chopper style bike, in the last 2 years I only put on it 1,000 miles and I had it towed to a shop at least 4-5 times due to various issues, mostly mechanical and some electrical problems that cost several thousand dollars to fix. Also, dealer support was non-existent, no warranty whatsoever. At some point I didn't care how great bike looked, I just got tired of seeing it on the back of the flatbed or at the shop on a lift.

Glad that I asked the question to hear so many opinions on the F6B.

Injun Joe
09-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I always rode a cruiser. The biggest change I noticed was riding position. The cruisers I rode had forward controls, the B has my feet almost directly under me. My old body didn't really care for that change. I could see people not liking that change and going back to the other position.

But I never rode the kind of miles I ride now. Truthfully, I could see me buying a full wing, black, of course AND keeping my B. The experience of owning this bike has been amazing. I can't stop anywhere with out someone asking questions about it and complimenting.

Most of the HD riders I know, pay dearly for the name. Then pay for mechanical parts to make the bike go and stop fast. And a few of them that drive their bikes hard have had bad luck.
The Wing's unlimited miles 3 year warrantee speaks to the proven durability of the drivetrain. The power and handling were surprising to me.

To me, loud doesn't mean cool. A monster bike, snapping through the twisties of "the Dragon" two up, after a 1000 mile ride to get there... that's cool. Riding to the top of MT Washington, with all its beauty, and having people taking pictures of my bike... that's cool.

I just don't see many Wings being worked on in my travels. If they are stopped, someone's having coffee... that's cool.

But I'm different.

To me, getting back to what I think of as a "normal" riding position was one of the huge thrills of the F6B. Not that there is anything wrong with the stretched out cruiser position. I enjoy that as well, but there was just something about riding what I knew as a regular motorcycle again.

Brian D
09-29-2014, 12:06 AM

But I'm different.

I was talking to an older gentleman one evening in a bar. He had multiple motorcycles over his life and he told me that foot position was the difference between all day in the saddle and a few hrs. When your feet are stretched out in front of you it is your lower back that takes the shock of the road all day but when your feet are below you it is the back of your thighs taking the shock. Makes sense to me cause my previous bikes were cruisers and my legs were stretched out. And after a while my lower back was killing me. I feel I could ride the f6 for a lot longer than any other cruiser I have owned. I thought that guy was drinking too much crown that night but turns out in my case it was all so true

Jimmytee
09-29-2014, 05:16 AM
I've taken my F6B down gravel roads that turn and change elevation pretty steeply. Being cautious, I found no issues. Granted, it doesn't feel as planted as my Valkyrie( a similarly big motorcycle) on such roads.I think part of that is the rake,handle bars and front tire size being wider on the Valk.

tinkerman
09-29-2014, 07:18 AM
I don't get the gravel complaint...at least no more than any other bike. I mean my a$$ puckers up as well when I am on gravel or those d@mn sections of pavement that are ground down or bridge decks made out of steel grating.

However on the coast to coast trip I did this summer my travelling partner wanted to visit an amethyst mine on the north shore of Lake Superior. It started out as a paved road but of the 11 km into the mine (six mile for you yanks) 7 km was gravel and one bloody great hill of loose gravel that had just been replaced due to washouts. Was I impressed with getting sucked into 7 k of gravel?....no, I wasn't but the F6B was darned stable even on the hill. And believe me the hill is something I would have shifted into 4 wheel just to avoid spinning if I was in a cage.

The only complaint I had after getting back to the highway 22km (14 km on gravel) was all the dirt kicked back on the front motor cover and a small handful up around the triple tree pocket in the fairing.

Defiantly not a trail bike...Defiantly a big and heavy stable platform....defiantly a keeper.

tink

Spanky
09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
11 km into the mine (six mile for you yanks)
Defiantly not a trail bike...Defiantly a big and heavy stable platform....defiantly a keeper.

You can thank Jimmy Carter for that... I do most things with a motorcycle that normal people don't do. I have not had a problem with gravel, or rain, Or wheelies, or burnouts, or running on a track.

This bike was not designed for track use, but it's design makes track use alot of fun.
Eh, Different strokes......

leroysch
09-29-2014, 08:47 PM
I've got a 1/8 mile gravel driveway run with elevation changes (the kind that my cage can get stuck on in the winter) to get to the pavement and the only thing that comes to my mind every time I leave home or come back on the F6B is how much more pleasant it is than on the HD.

FF-Ed
09-29-2014, 09:18 PM
HOW MUCH?

if you hate it that much, post it up... I know a few guys who'd love to get a deal on a used F6B

mike2000t
09-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Love mine and plan on riding it till duct tape and bailing wire wont hold her together anymore.

I dont have the paint issue but do have the cold engine hesitation - I just let her warm up and no hesitation. I knew there was no cruise and dont care about it. A throttle lock works fine. I do wish there were more seat options, but its not a deal killer.

Handling at all speeds is great, especially in the twisties. Low speeds took practice, but its not too hard to get used to. I went from a 624 pound VT1100T to the F6b. No problem.

luckyluciano
09-29-2014, 10:17 PM
HHB,

I read your lost in amazement, waiting for the comedy punchline thinking it was a joke.

Bike is a keeper. No, it's not a sport bike, no it's not a dirtbike. But it is an awesome machine.

I love riding it. The only sad part for me is that because of my injured back I couldn't ride as much as I truly wanted.

Can't see trading the bike in for paint or a helmet lock issue. Gravel driveway perhaps. Never knew there were bikes that ride good on gravel other than dirt bikes. Hope you find your passion like I found mine.

BuzzzPhotos
09-29-2014, 10:57 PM
I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet

I got a crisp 20 that says the helmet lock ain't broke,,,,

But, if he's sellin it, no reason fer me ta tell him about the button,,,

'kickthecan'

"coffee"yep, I thought the same thing till a guy at a different Honda dealer than the one I frequent showed me the button. :kap::kap: I've rode more this year & a 1/2 since I turned 60 & bought this F6B than in the previous 10 years with 2 bikes. Love, love, love to ride now that I have this black fast one. I bought it before I rode it and the best decision I've made. I still consider it my new bike. And I have a 200yard drive on gravel up my driveway. Till I got used to it I was nervous. Now it ain't bad it all. Makes me feel 30 years younger every time I climb on.

rumble-b
09-29-2014, 11:24 PM
I've got to wonder why you bought the F6B in the first place. I might give you the paint issue, although i don't personally have it. But to say it is no good on gravel. surely you knew you had a gravel drive before you decided what bike to get? Maybe i'm strange , but i put a LOT of thought into what bike i wanted. Taking into consideration where and how i ride and what i wanted a bike to be able to do.

Darkknight
09-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Yeah all the bikes I've had prefer tar to gravel. My last Yamaha RoyalStar was very top heavy and a bear on gravel.
Here are some challenging roads leading to Mt Washington, riding 2 up on the F6B, and had no real problems. And there had better NOT be. No guard rails and a 1000 ft drop on that corner!
Certainly easier that the old Yami.

opas ride
09-30-2014, 10:27 AM
I think HHB should move on to something that works better on gravel...Maybe a 4-wheeler or ATV......I doubt he will be happy with the F6B and perhaps should have not purchased it in the first place!!!..JMHO

F6B1911
10-01-2014, 05:55 PM
I think HHB should move on to something that works better on gravel...Maybe a 4-wheeler or ATV......I doubt he will be happy with the F6B and perhaps should have not purchased it in the first place!!!..JMHO

Yeah, I hate gravel roads, but don't ride enough of them to worry.
A 4-wheeler or an ATV would be a good choice, but the best way to ride on gravel is.... Yep, a Mars Rover!

Injun Joe
10-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Getting back to reality for a minute: (But a million miles away from the OP...) If it were such a huge priority to ride the F6B on gravel, couldn't tire selection be made to greatly improve the situation? I know my son's 1980 GS750 handles dirt and gravel way better than anything I've ridden the last decade but he has period correct tires on it which are down right knobby compared to what we ride today.

I know the F6B will never be meant to be a dirt and gravel bike, (Maybe a dual sport flavor flat 6 should be Honda's next project?) but I think it could be made better suited for it is all I'm saying. Me? I avoid dirt like the plague.

F6B1911
10-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Getting back to reality for a minute: (But a million miles away from the OP...) If it were such a huge priority to ride the F6B on gravel, couldn't tire selection be made to greatly improve the situation? I know my son's 1980 GS750 handles dirt and gravel way better than anything I've ridden the last decade but he has period correct tires on it which are down right knobby compared to what we ride today.
I know the F6B will never be meant to be a dirt and gravel bike, (Maybe a dual sport flavor flat 6 should be Honda's next project?) but I think it could be made better suited for it is all I'm saying. Me? I avoid dirt like the plague.

I don't know about that. The weight would be an issue. Yes, the F6B is lighter than the full wing, and the new Valkyrie is lighter that that, but how much more weight can you
really shave off of that platform? If you wanted a dual sport, you'd also want a bit more ground clearance, then the c.o.g. is too high?
I just cannot picture an 1832cc flat six running on knobby tires?
If I had the urge for off road riding I go with a bike designed for that purpose like the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Crazy Dave
10-02-2014, 09:56 PM
I started as a kid in the late 60's, dirt bikes, through BMW days & finally a Harley mid 70's. They all had pegs not footboards. Around '97 I went back to riding & I wondered why the Royal Star was awkward, just not "locked in" & sold it in '02. I haven't ridden the last 12 years & when I sat on the F6B my feet finally found home underneath me. It was just thousands of hours, miles, & a gazillion turns with pegs & that muscle memory can get burned into your brain....did mine anyway. So hands, Butt, Feet, & at my age the old thalamus & cerebellum are loving it again..just saying'..

pitcherd
10-05-2014, 03:15 PM
I won't put much effort into this post, because it smells of a Troller! I put 5100 miles on my Red F6B in the first month that I owned it. I road twisties and I road Hwy. I am very very happy with all aspects of the bike. It has things that "I" don't like, but they are not things that affect the performance of the bike. I road with a friend that has a GSXR1000 the other day and we twisted the throttle pretty hard and he told me afterwards that he was pushing the GSXR a bit and was very impressed with the speed of the F6B.

For me this is the bike of the present and the future for me!

Johncmendenhall
10-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Yes.

austin_tech
10-06-2014, 02:01 PM
And then, there is the heft of this bike that makes it totally unmanageable on my 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. It simply won't go in gravel and I'm having to park it in my barn which is close to a blacktop road. So, as you can see, my experience with the F6B has been a total disappointment. I plan on trading it off this week as I have to have a bike that I can ride without all these problems.

Ok, I'll say it: What an ass clown! You're really disappointed that an 820 lb bike "won't go in gravel", and you have to park it in your barn? That's some funny stuff! If this isn't a joke post (which I'm sure it is), I don't think I've ever met someone with such unrealistic expectations. Come on in to my used car dealership, we'd love to talk to you!

bigbird
10-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Ok, I'll say it: What an ass clown!

Is that necessary? Attack the post, not the poster.
Otherwise, this forum will deteriorate down to the level of most other forums. I don't think anyone here would want that.

RcBtx1999
10-06-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't see too many guys displeased on here. Like you said the bike rides good handles like a dream and is ultra reliable. 3 year warranty , long and lean , mean and clean. Whats not too like. No one is twisting your arm. Buy another Hardley. 2nd best always keeps trying. Went to bike night Wednesday night. 600 bikes. 550 Harleys. Lot of good people stopping by asking about the B. She's long and low with lots of added chrome. I was pleased with the amount of interest she got. A die Hard Harley owner is not going to buy a Honda. It's all about appearances with some guys. Others like me just want an awesome bike. I can just say ride one.

I am that guy, had a few metric bikes over the years but had Harley's, many, many of them, still love them. I am displeased with what the Motor Company has done, after us old guys helped bail them out from their AMF folly, what has happened is the price of EVERYTHING HD has sky rocketed, and the bikes really do need quite a bit of service to stay in good shape. I'll buy another if one comes along that needs my love, but I love this F6B. Just rode the Deals Gap on it last week, laid over like a cheap date after a bottle of even cheaper wine. I was so impressed at the way the bike made my skills better than what they were on my HD's.

RcBtx1999
10-06-2014, 07:17 PM

I'm pretty sure what the main problem here is that the bike is more than you can actually handle, have you taken a riders course or updated with an advanced course? Experienced riders whether it is an HD, Yama, Suz, BMW, Honda or Allstate Scooter can learn to negociate some gravel. The fly in the ointment comes when you are trying to ride it in sand, gravel or mud as you would on a hard top, you've got to find the friction zone on unstable surfaces and gingerly mover her along. I've been at it 49 years, and I've grabbed some front brake in gravel and landed on my chin, I've had them fall over bogged down in sand, but not just my F6B, HD's, and all the rest. You just got too much bike! You are smart to sell it and move on. For me, I've got a smile that won't quit every time I throw a leg over it.

red dog
10-07-2014, 05:06 AM
finally, adequate tork adequate horse power adequate roll on power on the fwy....pulls a passenger real nice...bike makes me want to jump up and shout.......rolls real well through mountain passes .......finally got a bike out of the box that kicks ass.......pulled up alongside a pack of 15 or so hd riders heading south on the 101 out of ventura last week .......cracked the throttle and rapidly rolled on by .....watching them disappear in in my rear view mirror.....big grin on my face.....laughing and scratching as I jammed up the conejo grade.....like the doobie sing it ........ooooooohhhhhhhh rollllllinnnn down the highwayyyyyyy............no more planned obsolescence for me.....see ya later.......

Clutch
10-07-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm not a gear head at all -- I leave that to my husband. I just love to ride, and a bit on the aggressive side.

I came off a Street Glide, so I'll compare the F6B to that. Here's my very simple, non-technical review ...

Between the F6B and my old Street Glide, the Street Glide wins the "Shiny Chrome" competition and the "Multitude of Accessories" competition. I suppose it also wins the "BWAAAAAAAP!" competition too.

Yay.

There are other differences:

Not sure what the big deal is about gravel. For me, riding on gravel took some time to learn. The F6B feels like it slides more than the old Street Glide did. Of course, I had different kinds of tires on the bikes, and both bikes balance differently. I had to become accustomed to the F6B's difference in balance. It wasn't a big deal.
The F6B sits up higher than the Street Glide. I'm a short rider, so I felt really uneasy at first on the F6B. I had the stock seat modified to lower me about 2", and now I'm all set.
F6B's fairing is lower than the Street Glide's, so you MUST buy a taller windshield to get the same wind protection.

A few cons with the F6B:

Wanna change your seat? Street Glide had one thumb screw, so you can change out your seat in two minutes with no tools. F6B has a gabillion screws and it takes like 30 minutes to change out a seat. Pain in the butt.
Wanna change your windshield? Street Glide had three screws, so it only took a few minutes. F6B requires more dismantling and takes a good 15 minutes.
You can't lock just one saddle bag as you see fit. You either lock them both, unlock them both, or permanently set one (or both) unlocked by removing the seat and making an adjustment. (Really???)
Keys, keys everywhere! Need a key to start the bike, for the gas cap, for the glove compartment, for the saddle bags. My Street Glide had a fob. That was awesome.
I think the Keymaker from the Matrix helped to design the F6B:

A few pros with the F6B:

It's faster, corners better, and totally outperforms the Street Glide. WAAAAAAAAAY more fun to ride, esp for technical riding. Take it out on a twisty road, you'll see the huge difference.
Because the pipes are quieter, I can actually hear my music now and ride early in the morning or late at night without waking anyone.
F6B's center of gravity is lower, so I can pick up this bike if I accidentally drop it.
The ride on the F6B is much easier than the Street Glide. In the beginning, I'd catch myself going 100, thinking I was only going 60, because that's how the wind and engine felt compared to the Street Glide. It's so easy and effortless. I don't feel beat up after long rides. It's much more comfortable.
These guys constantly walk up to me and ask about my bike and say they want one. It's kinda cool :)

My apologies for the missing analytics of technical specifications and for the horrible attempt at humor (I'm sick with a fever today ... I get kinda silly when I'm delirious)

This is my very simplistic comparison between the two bikes as a semi-aggressive RIDER (not a mechanic or gear head).

Mucho respect and the best of luck to you sir!

bigbird
10-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Wanna change your seat? Street Glide had one screw, so you can change out your seat in two minutes. F6B has a gabillion screws and it takes like 30 minutes to change out a seat. Pain in the butt.

Whaaaat? The 'B requires that the passenger grab rails be removed: 4 bolts. Then the 2 bolts that hold the seat in place. That's 6 bolts. If you have a Deluxe or have the optional backrest and/or carrier, that's another 4 bolts. So either 6 bolts minimum or 10 bolts maximum. If it takes you 30 minutes to do that, then you should get better tools. Sorry.

Clutch
10-07-2014, 04:20 PM
When I had my seat modified, the bolts no longer aligned. Took forever to figure out how to install the modified seat.

In any case, one thumb screw is easier than 6 or 10 bolts requiring tools.

Steve 0080
10-07-2014, 05:15 PM
When I had my seat modified, the bolts no longer aligned. Took forever to figure out how to install the modified seat.

+1 :yikes:

Jimmytee
10-07-2014, 06:37 PM
If I'm home, it takes me like 2 minutes max. And that's removing the luggage rack and back rest too.:shrug: I have a Corbin. I will confess, I use a cordless impact.:shhh:

Injun Joe
10-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I think Clutch's point was that it's considerably more involved to remove the seat on an F6B than it is on some other motorcycles -- specifically, the other one she is referencing.

hiflyer
10-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I rarely remove my seat, but it doesn't take but a minute when I do. I kind of liken it to undressing my girl. Something I enjoy.:shhh:

opas ride
10-07-2014, 08:20 PM
The seat installs on the F6B and Street Glide is like comparing apples to oranges..Much different...F6B is more difficult, especially if trying to do the Mustang seat for the first time....I'll give Clutch a "one-up" on this one!!!

XKnight
10-07-2014, 09:45 PM
The seat installs on the F6B and Street Glide is like comparing apples to oranges..Much different...F6B is more difficult, especially if trying to do the Mustang seat for the first time....I'll give Clutch a "one-up" on this one!!!

Absolutely!! Removing the stock F6B seat was easy, but installing the Mustang seat was a pain in the ass and required some wresting to finally get it into place. Harley seats are a breeze to remove and replace. One bolt usually and your done.

hiflyer
10-07-2014, 10:26 PM
And the reality to all this is.....HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU REMOVE THE SEAT??? If I liked or disliked a bike by the number of bolts holding on the seat, I think I'd quit.:spank:

srt8-in-largo
10-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Let's face it, some of the disassembly steps are as if they were designed by little Japanese people... oops.

I'm partial Japanese so I can make that joke, right? Riiiight. :icon_biggrin:

But once you have the 6 setup there's be nothing in your way. Next stop 100,000 miles, then maybe I'll want a new seat for the next hundred thou.

hiflyer
10-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Let's face it, some of the disassembly steps are as if they were designed by little Japanese people... oops.

I'm partial Japanese so I can make that joke, right? Riiiight. :icon_biggrin:

But once you have the 6 setup there's be nothing in your way. Next stop 100,000 miles, then maybe I'll want a new seat for the next hundred thou.

One other thing, and then I'm done....If it wasn't for those pesky hand rails that require the removal of 4 bolts to take off the seat, I wouldn't take my grandkids for a ride. As much as I'd rather have my wife's arms around me when we ride, she feels a whole lot safer holding on to the rails. The HD does not have hand rails, something HD did away with a long time ago. Ok...I'm done.

bigbird
10-07-2014, 11:25 PM
And the reality to all this is.....HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU REMOVE THE SEAT???

Twice in 2 months. The first time to install the brackets for the back rest/carrier, the second to access the DLC for the Healtech digital gear indicator to plug into.

red dog
10-08-2014, 03:28 AM
you c an have my f6b when you twist it out of my cold dead fingers........or when some thing better comes along......I would never compromise my thirst for performance by purchasing less.........American v twins just don't cut it for me no more ......had my share ....wrapping planned obsolescence in the American flag is a suckers game.....paint problem got you down ???? spray that flat six with a garden hose ,let it dry over night .....hit the road before the sun rises, smile on your face...."lookin for adventure in whatever comes your way".....wake up America "the titanic sails at dawn".................hope to see you on the mountain .......later......red dog.........

red dog
10-08-2014, 03:34 AM
you c an have my f6b when you twist it out of my cold dead fingers........or when some thing better comes along......I would never compromise my thirst for performance by purchasing less.........American v twins just don't cut it for me no more ......had my share ....wrapping planned obsolescence in the American flag is a suckers game.....paint problem got you down ???? spray that flat six with a garden hose ,let it dry over night .....hit the road before the sun rises, smile on your face...."lookin for adventure in whatever comes your way".....wake up America "the titanic sails at dawn".................hope to see you on the mountain .......later......red dog.........

RcBtx1999
10-08-2014, 03:13 PM

It did take me a while to get the Mustang seat to fit properly, but it was all worth the effort. Once I figured out the plastic seat pan was going to have to flex to make it work right, I used a a couple of drifts to align the new bolts in a cross pattern, then it went right on. I have not taken it off since, but I bet the problem is fixed by just riding it and letting it settle into it's proper alignment.

XKnight
10-08-2014, 05:02 PM
And the reality to all this is.....HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU REMOVE THE SEAT??? If I liked or disliked a bike by the number of bolts holding on the seat, I think I'd quit.:spank:

I can only think of one person in this forum that would trade the F6B due to minor annoyances like seat removal or for instance the helmet lock not locking. :stirthepot::icon_lol:

Clutch
10-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd never trade in my F6B for anything! I was just comparing two bikes across a variety of functions from a neutral standpoint. The honest truth is that it's easier to do simple things things to a Street Glide than to an F6B. You have to partially disassemble the F6B to do simple things -- and it just wasn't necessary for Honda to design it that way. It was one of the first things I noticed after making the switch.

hiflyer
10-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd never trade in my F6B for anything! I was just comparing two bikes across a variety of functions from a neutral standpoint. The honest truth is that it's easier to do simple things things to a Street Glide than to an F6B. You have to partially disassemble the F6B to do simple things -- and it just wasn't necessary for Honda to design it that way. It was one of the first things I noticed after making the switch.

I disagree with ya about simplicity. It's easier to change oil, and tires on the 6. You don't have to check belt tension with a shaft. In other words, routine maint. is easier than the HD. It has a centerstand too. Windshields and seats are a one time thing. Find what ya like, put it on and your done. I've owned way to many Harleys to say they are easier. The Honda is also easier to clean. In the time it takes to clean a street glide. I can have the above items done on my F6. To each his own, including opinions.

unsub
10-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Whaaaat? The 'B requires that the passenger grab rails be removed: 4 bolts. Then the 2 bolts that hold the seat in place. That's 6 bolts. If you have a Deluxe or have the optional backrest and/or carrier, that's another 4 bolts. So either 6 bolts minimum or 10 bolts maximum. If it takes you 30 minutes to do that, then you should get better tools. Sorry.

+1^

shooter
10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I disagree with ya about simplicity. It's easier to change oil, and tires on the 6. You don't have to check belt tension with a shaft. In other words, routine maint. is easier than the HD. It has a centerstand too. Windshields and seats are a one time thing. Find what ya like, put it on and your done. I've owned way to many Harleys to say they are easier. The Honda is also easier to clean. In the time it takes to clean a street glide. I can have the above items done on my F6. To each his own, including opinions.

+1. I've changed oil and tires on a lot of bikes. I do all my own work. The B is one of the simplest bikes I've ever done basic maintenance to. That rear tire change is laughable.

austin_tech
10-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Is that necessary? Attack the post, not the poster.
Otherwise, this forum will deteriorate down to the level of most other forums. I don't think anyone here would want that.

The guy was obviously being facetious. Joke's on anyone who thinks he was serious with that mock story.
Also, in TX we call an ass clown an ass clown :icon_biggrin:

Spanky
10-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Secondly, the point was that as the B is a great machine. It just has some differences in how its maintained. For example, the air cleaner is a bitch to get to. Its not better or worse, its just different. So, just keep the comments above board and not so damn hostile. We all have opinions, just find a way not to be a dick about it.

Scotrod
10-09-2014, 08:05 AM

My old Stratoliner was the easiest I've seen. Unlock it with the key,,, Pulled right off. It 'Clicked' back into place.

That's a bit odd that your MC modded seat was tougher to put back on,,, Maybe they changed it's profile / added some foam in an area?

Even an 100% OEM Wing seat isn't the easiest to put on,,, :icon_frown: The good thing is, hopefully, one doesn't have to take it on and off much.

Scotrod
10-09-2014, 08:15 AM
So, just keep the comments above board and not so damn hostile. We all have opinions, just find a way not to be a dick about it.

Heh heh heh! I can be quite "Dick-ish" myself!!! LOL!!! Gotta have thick skin,,,

But on the flip side, the title of the thread is "Is F6B a keeper?" After reading some of the posts, you do have to wonder "Are all F6B riders 'keepers'?"

(No reference whatsoever to Spanky + Clutch's relationship, just F6B riders in general)

Is the F6B just a 'Gateway bike' until we all turn into grumpy old GoldWing riders!!??!! :yikes:

Tuck me to Fears!!! Stop the Bus!!! I want off!!!!

Spanky
10-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Heh heh heh! I can be quite "Dick-ish" myself!!! LOL!!! Gotta have thick skin,,,

But on the flip side, the title of the thread is "Is F6B a keeper?" After reading some of the posts, you do have to wonder "Are all F6B riders 'keepers'?"

(No reference whatsoever to Spanky + Clutch's relationship, just F6B riders in general)

Is the F6B just a 'Gateway bike' until we all turn into grumpy old GoldWing riders!!??!! :yikes:

Tuck me to Fears!!! Stop the Bus!!! I want off!!!!

OK now that's funny right there. +1

Clutch
10-09-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm still setting up my F6B (just installed modified stock seat, installed a windshield but waiting for new windshield to come in), so those minor painpoints are bothering me as a newbie since they're affecting me right now.

Shooter, F6B is DEFINITELY easier to wash than the Street Glide. I spent 8 hours detailing that thing to sell it. Every. Single. Piece. Of. Chrome. had to be polished. Holy crap. It sure looked nice in the end though.

As for the F6B being more complicated in some areas ... From the country that developed Six Sigma (where fractions of pennies and seconds affect the bottom line), I would expect maximum efficiency in the use of materials and manufacturing process, and that is exactly what Honda did with the F6B. Sure, it would be easier for the end user to add/remove things if everything were attached independently -- but it would have created unnecessary inefficiency to the manufacturing process of the product. Honda consolidated this by sharing screws and bolts throughout the bike. I can appreciate the manufacturing efficiency on this, and can reasonably assume the engine efficiency (leading to performance) is also designed better than other bikes.

As for some guys being dicks ... I expect it. Some men are truly more emotional than women about their bikes and are unwilling to make impartial comparisons. (For example, they guys who think fiddling with 6-10 screws with an impact wrench is more user-friendly than a single thumb screw ...)

Now, criticize my favorite purse or shoes or the sheer numbers of which I've collected over the years, and you're gonna get flamed mercilessly! ;)

Much love and respect to you all.

XKnight
10-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Now, criticize my favorite purse or shoes or the sheer numbers of which I've collected over the years, and you're gonna get flamed mercilessly! ;)

We'll need to see some pics of you and all that stuff before we can criticize.:icon_lol:

Scotrod
10-09-2014, 11:03 AM
We'll need to see some pics of you and all that stuff before we can criticize.:icon_lol:

:icon_laugh:

Are we going to have to start a separate "Shoe/Handbag' thread!?!?! :shock:

Mrs Scotrod does pretty good, but still, "WTF ya need all that stuff for?" :shrug:

Poor Woman can't leave the house w/o a sack full a stuff,,,,

TRUE STORY:

In Franklin, we'd go to Shoney's for breakfast. (Easy walking distance, but we'd ride/drive b/c we are fat/lazy)

Head to Shoney's, come straight back to the motel and then get ready to ride,,,

We took my truck once, then my bike. Do you think she could be without that dayum 10 gallon purse during breakfast?!?!?

Here we are, 2 up on my bike, riding about 126 ft, and she's luggin a goddam bag that makes a 10 lb bag of taters look small,,,

I'm buying, so WTH do ya need that dayum thing for?!?!?! Would NOT leave the motel w/o it!!! JEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_doh:

Clutch
10-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I wish these forums had a "Like" or "Thanks" button (psssssssst .... Admin)

bigbird
10-09-2014, 02:37 PM
As for some guys being dicks ... I expect it. Some men are truly more emotional than women about their bikes and are unwilling to make impartial comparisons. (For example, they guys who think fiddling with 6-10 screws with an impact wrench is more user-friendly than a single thumb screw ...)

I'd gladly "fiddle" with 6-10 screws than own an H-D that used a single thumb screw. :poke:
And BTW, I'm proud to be a dick who is very emotional about my 'B. Best bike on the planet!
Only wannabe pirates and lemmings own an H-D.

Scotrod
10-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Hmm,,

Can we call ya "bigemotionalbirddick" then? :shrug:

:icon_biggrin:

I've been called every name under the sun for as long as I can remember, so I pretty much answer to,,,

eh,,,

nothing anymore!!! LOL!

bigbird
10-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Hmm,,

Can we call ya "bigemotionalbirddick" then? :shrug:

:icon_biggrin:

Yes.

But most male birds do not have a dick. They have a cloaca.

You might want to google that.

slather1
10-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Now with cruise and only $500 increase I am in and yes I think it will be a keeper.

Scotrod
10-09-2014, 04:17 PM
most male birds do not have a dick. They have a cloaca.

Well that explains it!!! I'd be emotional too if I had a "Cloaca"

:icon_laugh:

badpapi
10-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Now with cruise and only $500 increase I am in and yes I think it will be a keeper.
.batman-smilie..batman-smilie..batman-smilie.
is the 2015 only $ 500 more or i missing something ?

http://powersports.honda.com/cruiser/2015/gold-wing-f6b/options.aspx

slather1
10-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Got that from my dealer today.

vstar09
10-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah its a keeper...... I've had my vstar for 4 years and put 12k on it......Had my F6 for 4 months and put 5500 on it.......What ya think is going up for sale this spring...?

wantone
10-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah its a keeper...... I've had my vstar for 4 years and put 12k on it......Had my F6 for 4 months and put 5500 on it.......What ya think is going up for sale this spring...?

What star do U ride ? I've put my V* 1300 for sale but still no luck.

racer
10-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Hey respectful forum,

Thanks all!

Forcing? :icon_lol:

You should look around a little more. That is actually a generic question.

There are LOTS of one year old Harleys and a great number of used Harleys with mileage from 200 to 2000 being sold on ebay, craigslist etc.

Same could be said for many sport bikes.

No bike is unique in that regard. Some folks just change their minds.

And yes... it is a keeper.