PDA

View Full Version : Variable Rate Flasher

fxdl2051
09-29-2014, 12:21 AM
So after installing LEDS my turn signals blink like they're on crack. I know I can fix this with a load resister, but stock flash rates are too slowwww. What I'm looking for is something where I can dial in a custom flash rate, anyone know of a variable adjustable rate flasher, one that is compatible with the f6b? I don't want to start blowing fuses, etc. (I don't know squat about auto electricals and trial and error or trail by fire, just don't seem like a good idea).

TerryB
09-29-2014, 12:57 AM
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but the SoCal plug n' play LED flasher might be what you want. I have it installed with my LED turn signals. It flashes slightly faster than stock, a very good rate IMO.

It simply replaces the Honda OEM flasher. Very easy install and you won't blow anything up. :icon_biggrin:

http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-Load-Equalizer-p/ec08110.htm

Hornblower
09-29-2014, 08:46 AM
:agree: with Terry B. Just get a solid-state flasher to replace the OEM flasher and be done with it :yes:

bigbird
09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
I was looking at the complete LED turn signal/ brake light/running light and LED flasher kit from socalmotogear. I watched a cruiseman video on changing out the flasher. It looks like a PITA with all the removal of trim.

Is it as bad as it looks?
Any tips?
Happy with the LED conversion?

Thanks

Hornblower
09-29-2014, 02:19 PM
I was looking at the complete LED turn signal/ brake light/running light and LED flasher kit from socalmotogear. I watched a cruiseman video on changing out the flasher. It looks like a PITA with all the removal of trim.
Is it as bad as it looks? Any tips? Happy with the LED conversion?
Thanks

Changing the flasher is not hard at all. First, pop off the speaker grill. To get it completely released, disconnect the tweeter connectors and the multi-plug at the bottom. If you run into details on that, let us know. Next, remove the 4 bolts holding the instrument panel and, without disconnecting anything, move it up and out of the way. You can hold in that position with a bungee going over the windscreen and down to an anchor point in front. With that done, you should have good access to replace the OEM flasher.

And yes, I couldn't be happier with the LED turn signal conversion. :icon_biggrin:

bigbird
09-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Changing the flasher is not hard at all. First, pop off the speaker grill. To get it completely released, disconnect the tweeter connectors and the multi-plug at the bottom. If you run into details on that, let us know. Next, remove the 4 bolts holding the instrument panel and, without disconnecting anything, move it up and out of the way. You can hold in that position with a bungee going over the windscreen and down to an anchor point in front. With that done, you should have good access to replace the OEM flasher.

And yes, I couldn't be happier with the LED turn signal conversion. :icon_biggrin:

Thank you very much for the flasher module removal description. It does't sound daunting at all. I'll order the kit from socal today.

Any idea what type LED bulb is called for to replace the incandescent licence plate bulb?

Hornblower
09-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Thank you very much for the flasher module removal description. It does't sound daunting at all. I'll order the kit from socal today.

Any idea what type LED bulb is called for to replace the incandescent licence plate bulb?

The stock bulb is a #168, 5 watt. Some replace with a W5W. If you want to convert to LED, look at #194.

bigbird
09-29-2014, 05:36 PM
The stock bulb is a #168, 5 watt. Some replace with a W5W. If you want to convert to LED, look at #194.

Thanks again. You are a bundle of knowledge.

BTW, the LED kit from socal won't ship until at least Oct.10. I'll be lucky to receive them here in Canada and get them installed before the end of our riding season. I have ridden as late as the end of November, and put my bike away as early as before Halloween. It all depends when we get our first major snowfall. Anything less than 10 cm before Halloween will likely melt. Anything more than 10 cm after mid November is here until very late March.
Depressing.

badpapi
09-30-2014, 04:55 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-2825-5-SMD-Blue-Lights/dp/B0091YV1F4/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1412114086&sr=1-2&keywords=LED+%23+194 BLUE

http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-2825-5-SMD-White-Lights/dp/B00877SL2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1412114186&sr=1-1&keywords=LED+%23+194 WHITE

bigbird
09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
I found these for the licence plate light. Cheap, free shipping in Canada, and two of them will likely outlast me and my bike:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151335258615

badpapi
10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes. they probably will .
Just most car uses the this bulb number for license plate and sometime for interior light so i use on my truck and wife's car also .
trying to change all my lighting to some kind of energy saving bulbs led,fluorescent, halogen whatever make sense and is cost effective.

bigbird
10-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Yes. they probably will .
Just most car uses the this bulb number for license plate and sometime for interior light so i use on my truck and wife's car also .
trying to change all my lighting to some kind of energy saving bulbs led,fluorescent, halogen whatever make sense and is cost effective.

Halogen are the type of bulbs you want to avoid. Halogen bulbs still use the same old filament that glows white hot to produce light (and heat). Halogen is the inert gas that surrounds the bulb. Its purpose is to stop the filament material from sublimating on to the inside of the bulb's glass, causing the glass to turn black, and block light. The inert gas also doesn't react with the filament to cause erosion (oxidation) of the filament.

The most energy efficient, and expensive bulb, is the LED. For automotive lighting the next best choice is HID. Fluorescent is not bright enough for exterior automotive lighting.