PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage is sic!

six2go
09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
OK, I know we don't buy these toys to expect good mileage, but I like to check mine once in awhile just to see if everything is still performing as it should.

I finally got the items squared away that caused me to miss the Franklin Rally so last week I decided to take a road trip. I headed South from Northern Indiana for the Smoky Mountains for a 3 or 4 day loop. I traveled more Interstate miles than I really like to, but I had limited time. I did stay a night in Franklin at the Microtel(Good experience) and also enjoyed a meal at Fatz next door(endless ribs)before making the turn to head North through Cherokee and Pigeon Forge.

Intstead of just mentally calculating my mileage at each fill up I kept all of my gas receipts and figured my fuel consumption when I got home. All in all I was amazed at the mileage this F6B got compared to my '98 Valkyrie which normally returned about 36mpg on a trip like this.

Anyway, I traveled a total of 1207.8 miles and burned 26.925 gallons of gas for an average of 44.85mpg.
When on the Interstate highways I was running at 72 - 80 mph and when on surface roads it was whatever the conditions dictated. I don't know what others are getting for mpg, but I'm really happy and surprised at my results even with a heavier bike with 300 more cc's. I think that the aerodynamic shape of the fairing & my small Clearview compared to the "barndoor" OEM Valkyrie windshield greatly contributed to my good mileage.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :clap2:

GONRDN
09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Great way of keeping track of mileage. Glad you had a safe trip.

grendl
09-29-2014, 11:28 AM
that is probably a better way to calculate milage than what I'm using. I set the trip odometer at every fillup and calculate every time I fill up. Using that method which has a degree of error ( I do fill it only to the bottom of the filler pipe for precision and to keep it from spilling) I have gotten from 42 to a high of 50.
The lower figure is on the highway averaging speed of between 75 and 90 MPH. The higher averages are in the mountains where I am at lower RPMs between 4th and 5th gears with no need to downshift normally. She just pulls from anywhere.
Pretty happy with the mileage.
I may start to use totals and gas receipts to be more precise...

foodog2
09-29-2014, 12:32 PM
I have tracked mine since day one 3 miles with an iPhone app. I average 39.77 over 2200 miles.

Steve 0080
09-29-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't know and don't care...... but the math does keep your mind sharpe!!!! :stirthepot:

six2go
09-29-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't know and don't care...... but the math does keep your mind sharpe!!!! :stirthepot:As I said in my original post, I just figure it once in a while to make sure something hasn't gone "out of wack". That was my first trip on the "6" and I now have a baseline to compare with in the future.

wantone
09-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't know and don't care...... but the math does keep your mind sharpe!!!! :stirthepot:

:agree:

I've 1600 miles on F6. I may track the mileage eventually :icon_razz:

Steve 0080
09-29-2014, 02:10 PM
I was just...wait for it...:stirthepot:

53driver
09-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I was just...wait for it...:stirthepot:

Lol....

powercruzer13
09-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Valkyries are notoriously thirsty bikes. Especially the 1997 models. Six carbs & snappy performance pretty much guarantees that! :icon_lol:
I too am pleased with the nice increase in MPG that the F6B gives me. I can remember on a trip to the Keys with me on my Rocket III & the wife on my '97 Valkyrie how much better MPG the 2.3L Rocket had than the Valk! :shock:

Didn't matter, I still sold the Rocket to get the wife her own Valkyrie!! :icon_mrgreen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/bobcatv8/R3%20n%20Valk/keys08010.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bobcatv8/media/R3%20n%20Valk/keys08010.jpg.html)

XKnight
09-29-2014, 06:05 PM
I have almost 4K miles and have been getting between 38 - 42 MPG. This is combined highway/city riding with a pretty heavy throttle and some of my speeds are well in excess of the posted TX limits. Honda definitely understates the MPG by claiming only 34 MPG on their website specs.

Honda website specs:

34 MPG - Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on road riding.

Fla_rider
09-29-2014, 06:17 PM

I have to agree with Steve ! I love riding the F6B so much I don't care what she gets for mileage, but it's good to know anyways. :icon_mrgreen:

F6B1911
09-29-2014, 06:23 PM
I have tracked mine since day one 3 miles with an iPhone app. I average 39.77 over 2200 miles.

I downloaded too many mileage apps, what app works for you?

opas ride
09-29-2014, 06:25 PM
I am one of those riders who really does not worry of keep track of gas mileage on my F6B or any other of the bikes I have had..I ride for the fun and enjoyment of biking and will leave mileage issues to my car purchases as I put a lot more miles on them than my bike.....JMHO

BACA
09-29-2014, 06:34 PM
I downloaded too many mileage apps, what app works for you?

I'm using "MileageKeeper" for iphone....13,000 miles and 42.2 miles per gallon since my first fill up.....:cheers:

CheckpointChcky
09-29-2014, 07:27 PM
I routinely get around 42mpg.

Random Factor
09-29-2014, 07:34 PM
My former VFR 1200 got 36 mpg on the hwy, worse in the twisties. The 6 has 50% more cc's, 200+ more pounds and has been getting me 40+ mpgs.

My insurance premium was also cut in half. Does that mean I ride an old man's bike now? Hehe! Got to love it!

dickiedeals
09-29-2014, 07:39 PM
I have to agree with Steve ! I love riding the F6B so much I don't care what she gets for mileage, but it's good to know anyways. :icon_mrgreen:

Dickie doesn't care what mileage he gets. He puts gas in it,rides it till it needs gas, refills and goes again. I have no idea my gas milage. Not sure why anyone would really care. After riding Harleys for years its pleasant not having to put High Test fuel in it........................Dickie

shooter
09-29-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess I'm different than a lot of you guys. I generally check mileage every tank. It's easy , I have a trip meter which I reset at refill time and another for the total trip. I ride the B 2up 99% of the time and consistently average 40 to 42 mpg. I'm happy with that.

six2go
09-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Dickie doesn't care what mileage he gets. He puts gas in it,rides it till it needs gas, refills and goes again. I have no idea my gas milage. Not sure why anyone would really care. After riding Harleys for years its pleasant not having to put High Test fuel in it........................Dickie
Well, so much for trying to pass on some information to the group.:banghead: Judging from most of the responses, I don't think most of you read my post saying WHY I checked it on my first road trip. That's ok, I'll just sit back and read this board.

srt8-in-largo
09-29-2014, 09:30 PM
OK, I know we don't buy these toys to expect good mileage, but I like to check mine once in awhile just to see if everything is still performing as it should.

+1.

53driver
09-29-2014, 09:33 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. "Unexplained changes" are the predictors of issues. I have written somewhere in these hallowed pages that I keep a logbook with each vehicle, recording everything that goes on, comes off, goes in, and how far. Plus, when any and all servicing is performed, the date and the odo reading. New noises & vibrations are also noted for posterity.
Paper & pen are cheap as compared to major maintenance.

I do not expect everyone to understand why I do this, but if you have ever maintained a helicopter, or a fleet of 16 helicopters, documenting these things always helps - even if to provide a benchmark of perfection.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve 0080
09-29-2014, 11:13 PM
+1.

I had to do this on my Rune...I had BBS on 4 occasions and had 4 complete throttle bodies installed on it....although we mostly just pile on these threads it is done is jest!!! :icon_lol:

fxdl2051
09-30-2014, 03:12 AM
Always good to compare what other guys are getting on theirs. Some folks don't care, but when gas cracks $5-6 a gallon in a few years, maybe that will make them believers. That, or they have a way better retirement strategy than me.

Darkknight
09-30-2014, 05:10 AM
We just got back from Mt Washington in NH and actually went up to the Canadian border at Pittsburg NH.

So what I got for mileage was between 36 and 45.
Towing the trailer on the highway around 75 mph +-10, we got 36-40 mpg.
On the backroads at or under 50 MPH mostly in top gear I was in the mid 40's. Definitely with this engine and it's torque, I upshifted quickly and stay in 5th as much as possible. Two up, towing and still get mid 40's through the hills of NH? Not bad at all I'd say...:yes: