PDA

View Full Version : That name offends me, Change it!

Westernbiker
09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
No matter which side you are on in this matter, this is funny. This guy is hilarious... Here is an e-mail supposedly sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page...
I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Congress.
I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.
The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.
The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.
I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.
Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!
Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.
The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.
The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.
The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.
So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.
As a diehard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers." :crackup:

srt8-in-largo
09-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Society has become schizophrenic. Seriously. Literally.

motozeke
09-30-2014, 11:49 PM
We spent pretty much our whole history not giving a crap about the lives of Native Americans, let alone their sensibilities. Is it really so much to ask to change the freaking name of a sports team?

Really easy to wave a hand and dismiss it as "political correctness" when you haven't lived it.

fxdl2051
10-01-2014, 01:45 AM
We spent pretty much our whole history not giving a crap about the lives of Native Americans, let alone their sensibilities. Is it really so much to ask to change the freaking name of a sports team?

Really easy to wave a hand and dismiss it as "political correctness" when you haven't lived it.
Agree with you on that one.

SmallPasture
10-01-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.redskinsfacts.com/profile-courage-redskins%E2%80%99-daniel-snyder

SmallPasture
10-01-2014, 09:45 AM

http://www.redskinsfacts.com/profile-courage-redskins%E2%80%99-daniel-snyder

http://www.redskinsfacts.com/facts

Some leisure reading for ya. :yes:

SmallPasture
10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
If we change Redskins then shouldn't we be required to change the name of the state of Oklahoma as well. After all it means "Red People". Just curious.

bobbyf6b
10-01-2014, 10:10 AM

How about the fact that the term "Native American" is offensive? Ever think about that? I was BORN in America, therefore I am a Native American. I also fought for this country and was (and still am) willing to die for this country. Dismissing me as a NON Native American is about as offensive as you can get. Every time I hear the term and it excludes me, my blood starts to boil. I didn't do anything to the American Indians, and whenever I get the chance I try to help them better themselves. Most of them are content to live on the reservation, but I have met many that want to be Americans just like the rest of us. I salute them. We are becoming more and more separatist in this world and it's eventually going to be the demise of this great nation. I will fight it until the day I die. We are Americans. Period.

Deer Slayer
10-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Just drop the Washington part. :cheers:

jkelley
10-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I believe too many people over think shit!

NO matter where you look you can find something offensive depending on how you want to play it.
It's not the silent majority causing the problem, It's the vocal minority that raise hell and get things stirred up.
For goodness sakes it's a name. And I'm sure not meant to be derogatory. If you wanna take it that way don't watch or listen.
I'm half Cherokee and never even thought about it until someone told me I should be pissed. NOT.
I got a lot better things to do rather than getting upset over something so trivial.

SpeedyWho
10-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Political Correctness is censorship and a way of controlling thought. George Carlin had an excellent bit on this, I always enjoyed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeB7dnXFMcg

SmallPasture
10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Political Correctness is censorship and a way of controlling thought. George Carlin had an excellent bit on this, I always enjoyed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeB7dnXFMcg

Carlin was the poster child for whats not PC.... Miss that guy!

SpeedyWho
10-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Like Bobby said above, I'd guess I'm a Native American. I was born here and for generations my family has lived here. I think it would be ridiculous to call myself a European-American, wouldn't it?

jkelley
10-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Like Bobby said above, I'd guess I'm a Native American. I was born here and for generations my family has lived here. I think it would be ridiculous to call myself a European-American, wouldn't it?

How about AMERICAN?

Too many wanting to be called what ever. African American? Bet most never been to Africa. European American, same thing not many been to Europe.
Native American? Well that's up for grabs apparently. How bout people, folks, human beings? With a few pecker heads thrown in of course.

The only redskins I ever saw were pasty white folk that fell asleep at the beach, them was some red mo fo's. LOL

SmallPasture
10-01-2014, 04:23 PM
The only redskins I ever saw were pasty white folk that fell asleep at the beach, them was some red mo fo's. LOL

D'oh!!! :icon_doh:

bobbyf6b
10-01-2014, 05:32 PM
I was in Hereford, TX a few weeks ago and saw signs for the high school. They are the Hereford Whitefaces. I was like, WTF? Turns out a Whiteface is a type of cow. Hereford is the "beef capital of the world".

srt8-in-largo
10-01-2014, 10:40 PM
"Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners", George Carlin.

Brilliant.

hiflyer
10-01-2014, 11:02 PM
I was in Hereford, TX a few weeks ago and saw signs for the high school. They are the Hereford Whitefaces. I was like, WTF? Turns out a Whiteface is a type of cow. Hereford is the "beef capital of the world".

Lived in Hereford in 1976. There are a couple of million cows in the surrounding feedlots. Smells like money. If the wind is out of the right direction, you can smell 'em in Amarillo, 50 miles away.

srt8-in-largo
10-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Sounds like heaven :icon_lol:

GNW
10-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I lived around Hereford in the late 50's and early 60's. Love Hereford Moo Cows !! The love of my life was a Jersey named Pansy. Say no more, hello!!! And, I thought I was done doing with humor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy, Happy, Happy !!!!!!

av8rdave
10-04-2014, 08:03 PM
A Seminole was a member of a proud and successful (for many generations) tribe. Brave, Warrior and Chief were all titles of honor, respect and achievement.

Redskin? It was a term referring to the bounty on dead Indians, because, well, you know, the only good one was a dead one...right?

Imagine that being part of your heritage and history. That name would constantly be a reminder of how your forefathers - YOUR people - we're regarded as pests to be exterminated.

There's nothing wrong at all with a name that refers to a proud and good people. But do we really need to rub their faces in the most cruel chapter of their history?

srt8-in-largo
10-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Nicely articulated point...

bobbyf6b
10-04-2014, 09:04 PM
There's a high school on the Navajo reservation in Arizona with the same name. Go tell them to change it and see how far you get.

http://rmusdhs.ss4.sharpschool.com/home