PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Sticker Plate

Kirkster1520
10-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Since I live in the good ole state of Virginia, my F6B requires an inspection sticker be applied somewhere on the left side of the bike. I still have 30 day tags on it so I have a little time to figure out where to put the sticker. I saw some inspection sticker plates online for sale.

Does anyone on here have to have inspection stickers and if so, how/where did you put it? I'd don't want to put it on any plastic. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

LX2
10-01-2014, 09:02 AM
I haven't displayed one on any of my bikes since 98 or 99, that's been 4 bikes. If there was one I'd leave it in a saddlebag and never think about another replacement till someone would mention it...............and never would.

LL

richw56
10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
On the left side of the bike, a little back of the front wheel, very low on what I believe is called the 'nose cowling', below where you would install the fog light. Since this part curves under toward the center line of the bike, the sticker isn't even visible unless you get down low to look for it.
That's where my dealer put it (stickers are required in New York State).

Deer Slayer
10-01-2014, 10:10 AM
In NC inspection is via computer. No current inspection=no renewal. Not bad, at least NC got one thing correct. :cheers:

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 12:32 PM
In NC inspection is via computer. No current inspection=no renewal. Not bad, at least NC got one thing correct. :cheers:

Beginning next year TX will be doing the same. Currently, Insp sticker is required to be (easily) visible from the rear.

Quite a few sticker plates available online. Tough to make it look 'good' anywhere on the bike, especially if it has to be forward/on the side/ whatever.

Is there anything around the Pass. peg area one could mount a plate to??? Kinda low,,,,???

Or,,,

If unwilling to apply sticker DIRECTLY to paint/plastic,,, maybe a patch of clear 3M paint protector on the lower rear portion of the front fender, w/sticker mounted to the 3M material?

VP8
10-01-2014, 12:52 PM
This may be a stupid question...but being from a state that pretty much has every law and requirement in the U.S., I've never heard of an inspection sticker for a motorcycle before. What is it, and what are they inspecting?

shooter
10-01-2014, 01:26 PM
In MO they want them on the left fork up high. Kury has the plates.

shooter
10-01-2014, 01:29 PM
This may be a stupid question...but being from a state that pretty much has every law and requirement in the U.S., I've never heard of an inspection sticker for a motorcycle before. What is it, and what are they inspecting?

Lighting function , brakes , tire condition , brake lines , cracks in the frame and overall safeness. I failed a homemade trike a few weeks ago. POS. I don't fail too many bikes.

zzh54
10-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I am from NY and inspections are required. If you use an inspection plate, the mounting screw has to be covered by the sticker. In other words non removable without damage to the sticker. Alot of the plates out there have an offset and a hole for the bolt to fasten to bike, not legal in NY

I put mine on the left side inside the cowling, it is visible if you look for it. No problem so far.

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Might be combined with your emissions testing? :shrug:

Tx does lights, brakes, signals, horn, tire tread, etc on bikes. Most places won't ride 'em due to insurance.

Cages get all that with a short drive around the lot + wiper checks, etc,,, Certain smog area's like Houston and Dallas get 'spot' checks on your emissions systems,,, They may check your gas cap to see if it seals,,, Pop the hood to look for modifications,, look for a 'check engine' light,,, Usually they will link into the OBD2 if you have a CE light showing to see whats wrong,,,

Some of the older cars may require sniffer tests on a dyno if they are suspect. (One of the places I go has the equipment to do it. I'm sure many places don't)

(The place I mentioned above has all the 'official rules' listed on the wall. Been a while, but what I remember about the dyno/sniffer is what's written above.)

MarcPW
10-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Here in NZ, we need to display a "Warranty Of Fitness" and a "Registration". This is what I have found at
http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/

This is how it looks:

badpapi
10-01-2014, 04:19 PM
I SEE A LOT ON THE FRONT SHOCKS TUBE .8914
MINE JUST SEAT UNDER MY LICENSE PLATE. IS LEGAL IN RI ON THE BACK OF THE BIKE. GOOD LUCK FINDING A SPOT

hoglaw
10-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Florida had state inspections when I moved here in 1979. Soon after they dropped them. They were a scam as I suspect many of them still are.

Kirkster1520
10-02-2014, 09:01 AM
I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I will try to go with a plate, I will just have to look for a place to mount it. According to my inspection guy, it just has to be somewhere visible on the left side of the motorcycle. It can't be on the back. I'll look the bike over in the next couple of days and decide on which plate will work.