PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered Kaoko :)

wantone
10-01-2014, 10:08 AM
I just placed an order for kaoko from Revzilla. After several weeks of waiting I got an email from them that they have it in stock. I really hope this darn thing works. This is my last try on throttle lock. Next step will be --------.

Steve 0080
10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Okkkkkkkk....What is a Kaoko????????

GiddyupF6B
10-01-2014, 11:12 AM

A fancy throttle lock...

BadDawg
10-01-2014, 11:16 AM

A throttle lock somewhat like the throttlemiester. I spent a lot of time looking at both before I went with the TM.

Ryo
10-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Differences between Kaoko and TM?

BadDawg
10-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Differences between Kaoko and TM?

Both use friction to keep adjustable tention on the throttle. I'm sure someone can give a better technical description. Cosmetically the TM looks more like a stock grip end. The Kaoko has knuckles on it. Which is better? No idea. Somebody has probably tried both.

Hornblower
10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
I just placed an order for kaoko from Revzilla. After several weeks of waiting I got an email from them that they have it in stock. I really hope this darn thing works. This is my last try on throttle lock. Next step will be --------.

No reason the Kaoko wouldn't work UNLESS you have HeliBars. That combo isn't compatible.

CheckpointChcky
10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
I had a similar product from Kuryakyn a few years ago that looked like it was made for the grip. Couldn't tell that it was an add on. Problem was, once set, it would continue to accelerate, even though it was just a tad at a time. Never would it just keep a steady pace. I wonder if any of these other ones do the same thing.

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
No reason the Kaoko wouldn't work UNLESS you have HeliBars. That combo isn't compatible.

If the Kaoko wont work w/Heli's , neither will the TM.

I went w/Kaoko as the castellated 'nut' is super easy to grab/move w/gloves on,,,, The 'smoother' flavors like Kury and TM can be kinda slickery w/o enough 'squeeze' applied.

wantone
10-01-2014, 12:40 PM

I went w/Kaoko as the castellated 'nut' is super easy to grab/move w/gloves on,,,, The 'smoother' flavors like Kury and TM can be kinda slickery w/o enough 'squeeze' applied.

So how has been ur experience with Kaoko ?

bertrider
10-01-2014, 01:35 PM
I've used both and they work exactly the same. I have the TM's on the F6B simply because I think they look better. Your choice.

Hornblower
10-01-2014, 02:55 PM

:agree: With HeliBars, the bar-end insert is welded in so any aftermarket throttle lock requiring the insert to be removed will be a problem.

Also, I've had TM before and just didn't find it convenient. Some have different results and that's fine. Like you, Scot, I like the castellated nut approach of the Kaoko and I have to believe it's easier to use than the TM ;2cents2;.

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I have had the Kury version,,, (I have not had TM's)

The Kury was a PITA to get it fully locked/unlocked. Required more conscious effort / attempts as it was smooth / 'slickery',,, Simply dragging a palm over it was not as productive as I had hoped,,,

The castellated nut on the Kaoko makes it easy for me to adjust by dragging my palm over it. I will 'crank' a bit more on it after the initial set to hold it 100% firm, but it will hold 'dragged - palm' tight for a good while.

Easy enough to loosen by the palm only even after a 'crank'.

YMMV.

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 03:16 PM
:agree: With HeliBars, the bar-end insert is welded in so any aftermarket throttle lock requiring the insert to be removed will be a problem.

I know I'm half senile, but did I read somewhere than the H-bars could be ordered w/o the insert welded in? If a person was committed to no OEM bar weights but wanted T-meisters, surely they could oblige?

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 03:20 PM
So how has been ur experience with Kaoko ?

Holding fast!! LOL!!!

Admittedly, not as custom-looking at the T-meisters, and you only receive (1) unit [No dummy unit for the LHS], but, it does everything I need it to, doesn't look 'out of place' like some other systems, and costs a bit less than the meisters,,,

wantone
10-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Holding fast!! LOL!!!

Admittedly, not as custom-looking at the T-meisters, and you only receive (1) unit [No dummy unit for the LHS], but, it does everything I need it to, doesn't look 'out of place' like some other systems, and costs a bit less than the meisters,,,

Personally I do not really care for the looks. All I'm looking for is that it holds the throttle in place and does not drop the speed. If it does that, I'm happy.

98valk
10-01-2014, 05:14 PM
I recently completed a 3600 mile trip with a kaoko.

First, I am really glad that I had a throttle lock. I think it looks pretty good, if not cool on the handle bar.

It will definitely hold the throttle steady. But, is a pain to engage; say vs the old style flip-on flip-off throttle locks.

Because it a pain to turn on and off, I found myself leaving it on slightly and forcing throttle changes as needed. It is tough to make very slight changes with it engaged (due to the power of the F6). I think that wore out my arm more than having not used it at all (800 mile days).

I thought that I was going to sell it, but I've forgiven it as my arm has recovered. :)

If the brake away came in black (it used to), I might switch to it. The handle bar on this bike is no place for chrome. :icon_razz:

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I thought that I was going to sell it, but I've forgiven it as my arm has recovered. :)

:icon_razz:

You know it's just waiting to tear ya up on the next trip,,, You'd better give that trouble maker to me,,, (Wifey needs one for her 6!) :poke:

98valk
10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
You know it's just waiting to tear ya up on the next trip,,, You'd better give that trouble maker to me,,, (Wifey needs one for her 6!) :poke:

Funny! Too true probably, but funny. I'll let you know if I change my mind again. :icon_lol:

F6B1911
10-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I recently completed a 3600 mile trip with a kaoko.
First, I am really glad that I had a throttle lock. I think it looks pretty good, if not cool on the handle bar.
It will definitely hold the throttle steady. But, is a pain to engage; say vs the old style flip-on flip-off throttle locks.
Because it a pain to turn on and off, I found myself leaving it on slightly and forcing throttle changes as needed. It is tough to make very slight changes with it engaged (due to the power of the F6). I think that wore out my arm more than having not used it at all (800 mile days).
If the brake away came in black (it used to), I might switch to it. The handle bar on this bike is no place for chrome. :icon_razz:

Hi 98valk,
Maybe you could use a tweak on your Kaoko.
I adjusted mine a few times until I had it just right.
You need to back it off just the right amount before you tighten the allen bolt on the end weight.
I do not use the small allen bolt on the knurled ring.
But once set, it is quite easly to do both turn on and off AND make slight changes.
Once you have it set "perfectly" you will have no issues with your arm.

wantone
10-01-2014, 06:13 PM

How difficult is the install ? I may ask my mechanic buddy to help me install it.

98valk
10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi 98valk,
Maybe you could use a tweak on your Kaoko.
I adjusted mine a few times until I had it just right.
You need to back it off just the right amount before you tighten the allen bolt on the end weight.
I do not use the small allen bolt on the knurled ring.
But once set, it is quite easly to do both turn on and off AND make slight changes.
Once you have it set "perfectly" you will have no issues with your arm.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I don't use the allen on the knurled ring either.

I don't know if I was clear enough. The tired arm was not from turning it on and off, but from adjusting the throttle countless times over 100's of miles while "locked" into place. Not sure that was a bright idea ....

"But once set, it is quite easly to do both turn on and off AND make slight changes."

This (just above) is the part that I think I need to work on.

Thanks again.

F6B1911
10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
How difficult is the install ? I may ask my mechanic buddy to help me install it.

The installation is a five minute job, the difficult part is removing the bar end weight.
Look at this thread: http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?308-Cruise-control/page5&highlight=kaoko

Fla_rider
10-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I know I'm half senile, but did I read somewhere than the H-bars could be ordered w/o the insert welded in? If a person was committed to no OEM bar weights but wanted T-meisters, surely they could oblige?

Half? :lolup:

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Half? :lolup:

Yes, HALF!!!

(But,,, I can't remember WHICH 'half' it was??? :shrug: 'kickthecan')

FF-Ed
10-02-2014, 11:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXk9WeVgxUo

seriously, I'm ordering a Kaoko