PDA

View Full Version : Belly Pan Scraping

53driver
10-01-2014, 07:51 PM
I bought the nice black anodized powder coated belly pan to protect my lil' girl's underside from road debris.
It is on properly and fits very well.
I have managed to scrape the pan and pegs more then just a few times in the 100 miles or so that I have had the belly pan on her.

Coming from a 98 Valk and a 95 Heritage both with full floorboards and heel-toe shifters, I was never a "lean-way-over" guy.

Does the F6B just lend itself to leaning over more?
Anybody else losing "the black" off the bellypan?
It doesn't feel awkward at all to be at those angles.
What a great bike!
Cheers,
Steve

Scotrod
10-01-2014, 08:02 PM
I used to scrape my BP on the corners,,,

Took it off and it hasn't scraped since,,, :shrug:

bertrider
10-01-2014, 08:23 PM
My pegs and pan are scraped from my trip through the Rockies two weeks ago. The bike will turn....well, and will really pull on the exits. It will run curves much better than I thought it would. Not quite a sport tourer but so much more comfortable.

Sorcerer
10-01-2014, 10:31 PM
I put the black aluminum one on. I figure it to be a consumable part. When I originaly installed mine I put it on with the front removable part on it. Fast forward to the next oil change. Stripped the Allen head on the screw. Once I got that little problem fixed I discovered the belly pan was not as high as it should be. Pushed the pan up and tightened the nuts, installed the front part. It didn't fit real well. After a spirited ride I herd/found that I was catching the front part at the bend that go's to the front cowl. The ears on the front removable part was hitting the shield and tilting it. I took about a 1/4 inch off the ears so thay don't hit. So far it has helped.

shooter
10-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Steve this thing likes to corner. Those front pegs are way to low. She's a runner that's for sure. My 109 is faster on the straight stretches but would never hang with the B in the twisties.

Steve 0080
10-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I would change the setting on the rear shock...should not scrape that much...

bobbyf6b
10-02-2014, 01:00 AM
I used to scrape my BP on the corners,,,

Took it off and it hasn't scraped since,,, :shrug:

+1 :icon_mrgreen:

bobbyf6b
10-02-2014, 01:03 AM
I would change the setting on the rear shock...should not scrape that much...

Exactly. Make sure your suspension setting is at least half way up. It comes from Honda all the way down (too soft).

53driver
10-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Exactly. Make sure your suspension setting is at least half way up. It comes from Honda all the way down (too soft).

I have the suspension set at +20 right now. Anymore and my back doesn't like it.
A slightly larger rear tire (Valk size) will help also. That's several thousand miles down the road though.

I am going to make sure that the pan is still as high up as it can go. I know I installed it that way.
I'll take Sorcerer's way forward if necessary - a bit of trimming.

Thanks everyone.
Steve

Jimmytee
10-02-2014, 07:40 AM
I've got a McGyver belly pan on the way.Just wondering if anyone had a similar is issue with that one. I'm buying for the flat lifting surface as much as for the protection. That is why I went with the heavier McGuyver unit.

GiddyupF6B
10-02-2014, 07:45 AM
When I installed my belly pan (Mcguyver) it rubbed. I contacted the maker of the pan and he had me reinstall it with a floor Jack underneath pushing up on it then tightening the bolts.....worked like a charm. I took the pan off 2 rides later because I didn't like the excess heat it was forcing up on me.

Jimmytee
10-02-2014, 07:57 AM
When I installed my belly pan (Mcguyver) it rubbed. I contacted the maker of the pan and he had me reinstall it with a floor Jack underneath pushing up on it then tightening the bolts.....worked like a charm. I took the pan off 2 rides later because I didn't like the excess heat it was forcing up on me.

Excess heat?? Now you have me second guessing my purchase :icon_doh: I know there are the vented ones, but didn't think they'd be very good as a jack surface. I had seen pics of using a motorcycle jack on the McGuyver model, and frankly, that was my main motivation in purchasing one. I think I'm probably going to end up with a Harbor Freight table lift before any longer. I've read good reviews. My next choice would be a Titan at quite a bit more money. I do all my own wrenching and servicing. Besides cost, I just simply do not trust most shops. I work on building systems, commercial/Industrial HVAC-R equipment from fractional horse power up to 1000 ton chillers so I'm not afraid of complicated machinery. Have manuals will travel.:icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
10-02-2014, 08:23 AM
I took the pan off 2 rides later because I didn't like the excess heat it was forcing up on me.

:icon_biggrin:

Yet another reason I run 'Sans-Pan',,, even the vented / louvered pans can't flush out as much heat as 'no pan' can,,, :icon_wink:

I made my own overflow tank protector outta 26 GA material,,, other than that, I run nekkid!!! :shock: (Pictures at 11!! :crackup:)

bigdew
10-02-2014, 09:02 AM
You are not alone on belly pan scraping. I have just wore through my belly pan all the way. I got to replace it now and my pegs are about shot. My suspension is up +25 clicks. This bike will lean and scrape for sure!!!

FF-Ed
10-02-2014, 09:34 AM

Yet another reason I run 'Sans-Pan',,, even the vented / louvered pans can't flush out as much heat as 'no pan' can,,, :icon_wink:

I made my own overflow tank protector outta 26 GA material,,, other than that, I run nekkid!!! :shock: (Pictures at 11!! :crackup:)

I really would like to see that.... Pictures please....

Scotrod
10-02-2014, 10:19 AM
I really would like to see that.... Pictures please....

Me,, runnin Nekkid?!?!

:yikes:

OK, but you've been warned!!!!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3246-My-Redneck-coolant-tank-cover&highlight=redneck

Scotrod
10-02-2014, 10:36 AM
The 6 is wide and low,,,(kinda like me!)

W/ spirited riding, a 6 will scrape before many other bikes,,,

Good news is, it is still plenty exciting for me in the corners,,,,

Ericb445
10-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I never installed a belly pan, due to the fact I scrape the lower bodywork already.
I thought if I'm scraping that, I would hate a belly pan.
I drug my front crash bar in a left hander one day.....Talk about pucker factor.

DaWadd
10-02-2014, 05:32 PM
I never installed a belly pan, due to the fact I scrape the lower bodywork already.
I thought if I'm scraping that, I would hate a belly pan.
I drug my front crash bar in a left hander one day.....Talk about pucker factor.

That's a spooky one.:shock:

Steve 0080
10-02-2014, 07:10 PM
At the risk of :stirthepot: if you take a better line there will be less scraping...

53driver
10-02-2014, 09:05 PM
At the risk of :stirthepot: if you take a better line there will be less scraping...

"Outside, Inside, Outside" in curves straightens them out as much as possible. However, that is not always practical - or as much fun.
Cheers,
Steve

richw56
10-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I know a guy who has put hundreds of thousands of miles on Gold Wings without ever using a belly pan - and he's never had a problem. Just sayin'...

Steve 0080
10-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I've got a McGyver belly pan on the way.Just wondering if anyone had a similar is issue with that one. I'm buying for the flat lifting surface as much as for the protection. That is why I went with the heavier McGuyver unit.

I also bought the McGyver BP for the flat surface to lift the bike...works perfectly!!!

Scotrod
10-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Assuming that you have centerstands,,, what are you folks doing that requires lifting the whole bike?

I have 2 MC jacks left over from the old bikes that haven't been touched since I got the 6,,, A 'regular' Larin and a HF 'high lift',,, both collecting dust now,,,

Granted, I'll place a floor jack under the forward portion of the crank case for stability when working on the front wheel (tire change), but what do y'all do with the bike 'raised up' on the jack?

Jimmytee
10-03-2014, 05:28 AM
Assuming that you have centerstands,,, what are you folks doing that requires lifting the whole bike?

I have 2 MC jacks left over from the old bikes that haven't been touched since I got the 6,,, A 'regular' Larin and a HF 'high lift',,, both collecting dust now,,,

Granted, I'll place a floor jack under the forward portion of the crank case for stability when working on the front wheel (tire change), but what do y'all do with the bike 'raised up' on the jack?

I haven't had to lift it yet. Just got it in July, but how about removal of the rear wheel without laying the bike over on it's side or removing plastic for one.:icon_cool: Or how about changing the oil without laying on the floor. I can run through other issues. BTW, I bought a standard, and as of yet have not bought a center stand(Plan to) Just have been busy buying other things. I can think of other work that is simply easier if you bring the bike up to a higher elevation. I probably will get a lift table this next year, but until then, my Craftsman bike jack will do.

Heck with ,my Valkyrie, I often lift it just to polish.:icon_rolleyes:

Scotrod
10-03-2014, 08:10 AM
I haven't had to lift it yet. Just got it in July, but how about removal of the rear wheel without laying the bike over on it's side or removing plastic for one.:icon_cool: Or how about changing the oil without laying on the floor. I can run through other issues. BTW, I bought a standard, and as of yet have not bought a center stand(Plan to) Just have been busy buying other things. I can think of other work that is simply easier if you bring the bike up to a higher elevation. I probably will get a lift table this next year, but until then, my Craftsman bike jack will do.

Washing / cleaning was why I bought the high lift. Don't need it anymore,,,

I was of the opinion I'd avoid laying the bike over to change the rear tire,,,, until it came time to do it... Just way too darn easy, faster, (and possibly safer) to lay it over than any other way.

Jack the bike up,,, on a jack,,, to change oil? Eh, well,,, if that's what ya want to do,,, I'm sure it can be done that way,,,

The 6 is a dream to change oil on compared to other bikes,,,

Besides, I like laying on the floor,,,, Sometimes I'll take a little nap while I'm down there,,, I have to admit, I'm usually not alone on these adventures,,, Roxy, my dog, usually has to come over and briefly 'supervise' the process,,, 'Hazards' usually consist of big, wet, dog kisses!!! LOL!!!

Jimmytee
10-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Washing / cleaning was why I bought the high lift. Don't need it anymore,,,

I was of the opinion I'd avoid laying the bike over to change the rear tire,,,, until it came time to do it... Just way too darn easy, faster, (and possibly safer) to lay it over than any other way.

Jack the bike up,,, on a jack,,, to change oil? Eh, well,,, if that's what ya want to do,,, I'm sure it can be done that way,,,

The 6 is a dream to change oil on compared to other bikes,,,

Besides, I like laying on the floor,,,, Sometimes I'll take a little nap while I'm down there,,, I have to admit, I'm usually not alone on these adventures,,, Roxy, my dog, usually has to come over and briefly 'supervise' the process,,, 'Hazards' usually consist of big, wet, dog kisses!!! LOL!!!

To each their own, but I don't see why I'd want to lay on the floor when I can sit on my little work chair that scoots around just great. It takes me what 10 to 30 seconds to have my bike in the air at eye level. Sorry, just makes more sense to me. If I had no jack, I could see laying it over on it's side to change the rear wheel, but why? I spend enough time crawling and scooting from high to low in my profession. Why do it at home. I'm a service technician in commercial HVAC-R . I'm a firm believer in tools and proper equipment.

Steve 0080
10-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Ya!!! What Jimmy said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce B
10-03-2014, 04:46 PM

I have a Craftsman bike jack that I used, with an adapter, on my Valkyrie. Haven't tried it on the F6. What can you tell me about best placement, etc.? I have an aluminum belly pan that I can't imagine supporting the bike. Must that be removed? Do you strap the bike down on the jack? Any tips you can give me on using this jack would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce B
10-03-2014, 04:49 PM
I also bought the McGyver BP for the flat surface to lift the bike...works perfectly!!!

Where is the McGyver BP sold?

Steve 0080
10-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I will have to do a seach for that...guy is on the GL 1800 board.. give me some time.

Hornblower
10-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Where is the McGyver BP sold?

How about Wingstuff:

http://wingstuff.com/products/36093-macgyver-diamond-plated-belly-pan-for-gl1800-f6b

Jimmytee
10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Wingstuff is where I got mine. Just got here today. Will put it on tomorrow.

Jimmytee
10-03-2014, 05:38 PM
I have a Craftsman bike jack that I used, with an adapter, on my Valkyrie. Haven't tried it on the F6. What can you tell me about best placement, etc.? I have an aluminum belly pan that I can't imagine supporting the bike. Must that be removed? Do you strap the bike down on the jack? Any tips you can give me on using this jack would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, as soon as I lift it , I'll let you know.:yes: I just got the belly pan today. I've only seen pictures of the F6B being lifted with the McGuyver belly pan. I still have my Valk.

Steve 0080
10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeh,Yeh ...Thanks Ken !!!! Unit to me is well worth the $$$$ not so sure about the wind thingy but for lifting the bike it is great and also protecting the plastic water bottle!!!!

DaWadd
10-04-2014, 08:45 AM

I've got the aluminum Craftsman jack and for the life of me cannot find any sweet spot to lift the 6 up properly. No belly pan but it seems to be lifting on the exhaust headers. Don't like that. If I put the lift up front it will raise the front wheel up for servicing which is fine but would like to raise the whole bike for storage come winter.:banghead:

bigbird
10-04-2014, 09:17 AM
I've got the aluminum Craftsman jack and for the life of me cannot find any sweet spot to lift the 6 up properly. No belly pan but it seems to be lifting on the exhaust headers. Don't like that. If I put the lift up front it will raise the front wheel up for servicing which is fine but would like to raise the whole bike for storage come winter.:banghead:

Jeff, I can't remember, do you have a centre stand? I've always rolled my bikes a few feet every month to change the pressure point on the front tire over the winter.

DaWadd
10-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Yes have a center stand but like to raise the whole bike off the ground for storage. I'm sure I will find a way.

RickW
10-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I bought the nice black anodized powder coated belly pan to protect my lil' girl's underside from road debris.
It is on properly and fits very well.
I have managed to scrape the pan and pegs more then just a few times in the 100 miles or so that I have had the belly pan on her.

Coming from a 98 Valk and a 95 Heritage both with full floorboards and heel-toe shifters, I was never a "lean-way-over" guy.

Does the F6B just lend itself to leaning over more?
Anybody else losing "the black" off the bellypan?
It doesn't feel awkward at all to be at those angles.
What a great bike!
Cheers,
Steve

Depending on how fast you go around corners, you are going to scrape a little. The faster you go the more lean.
I have a large amount of Aluminum ground off the bottom of both sides of both my floorboards.
You have to keep your feet in also, will ground off the bottom of your boots to, don't ask how I know.
Seems like with this bike, not as much fun if not pushing it just a little. Don't have that problem with my VN2000.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/2014%20Pictures/Motorcycle%20Pictures/RickDealsGap0914-4-C_zps6ccec403.jpg

opas ride
10-04-2014, 02:46 PM
To each his own on the "need" for a belly-pan on the F6B..After reading all the issues these things seem to cause, I think I will leave well enough alone and spend my money elsewhere...I'm too old to corner that fast and furious anyway!!

Scotrod
10-04-2014, 08:51 PM
It takes me what 10 to 30 seconds to have my bike in the air at eye level.

Is that with your MC jack, or with the table lift you bought today after you installed your BP and couldn't figure out how to get the bike up?

:poke:

Jimmytee
10-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Is that with your MC jack, or with the table lift you bought today after you installed your BP and couldn't figure out how to get the bike up?

:poke:

Uh, excuse me, but when I wrote that it was in reference to my Valkyrie.:icon_doh: If ya paid attention, I had not lifted the F6B as of yet when that was written. I did not have the belly pan yet. And yes it would still just take me that amount of time to lift the F6B as well. Did it today. I've been eyeballing the table lifts for quite some time. A couple of years in fact. It was actually my wife's idea to go ahead and go get one.:039:
The reason for the table lift has more to do with my Valkyrie than the F6B. I have to do some maintenance on the Slave cylinder for the clutch. To pull the slave cylinder, one has to remove the side stand and therefore the Lift/jack adaptor. The bracket is in the way . That means the bike needs to be supported upright some other way while I do the work. Now I could have rigged some lumber and some straps. I could have just bought a wheel chock and secured it , but with the wife saying "lets' go ahead and get the lift table", well do I really need to say more.:shhh::icon_biggrin:
Oh, I figured how to lift the F6B with the belly pan, but the jack will see much less use now obviously.

XKnight
10-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I have about 3K miles on my black bellypan and haven't scraped yet, but the roads around here are mostly flat and straight. Will be in the Ozarks this weekend so that will be the real test. I did ride in the TX Hill Country before I installed the bellypan and didn't scrape anything there either, but my buddy who was behind me did say it looked like I was about to touch down a few times.

Anyway, the bellypan is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned and even if it scrapes a bit it won't be an issue for me. I have not noticed any additional heat with the belly pan on. However, the F6B is so much cooler running than my previous bikes (Harley and Victory) that I probably wouldn't notice the heat anyway.

Scotrod
10-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Gonna take the high road on that one,,, (clickclick)

Moving forward,,,

X,,, I'm not an aggressive driver, but both 'folds' on my BP were scratched from front to rear. Couple dings,,,

(Wifey's cover was fine, but she rides like Gramma)

Took both off. That was probaly 5k ago... As I have an excellent vantage point when changing oil, it's easy to see if anything has been scratched.

Nada. :shrug: Perhaps the pan hangs a fraction of an inch lower than I need for my 'old man' cornering,,, :shrug:

Each pan that I removed did have a nice burn mark on it from the pipe on one side,,, Quite a bit of localized heat 'in the general area' of the pan.

53driver
10-06-2014, 03:34 PM
...Each pan that I removed did have a nice burn mark on it from the pipe on one side,,, Quite a bit of localized heat 'in the general area' of the pan.

Good data point. Will have to look for that during oil changes and any other time the pan gets dropped.
Thanks.
Steve

SoCal Rich
02-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Questions for you guys that have raised your rear suspension setting: did it change the riding smoothness very much? And, did it make a big difference with the scraping?

Hornblower
02-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Questions for you guys that have raised your rear suspension setting: did it change the riding smoothness very much? And, did it make a big difference with the scraping?

No discernable difference in smoothness. An improvement in clearance but not a BIG difference.

Madmax
02-24-2015, 09:10 AM
No belly scraping here but I'm allways dragging pegs on my F6B sport bike ... LOL I actually picked up a extra set of pegs and going to drill and tap some titanium scags to the bottom for a night show .

Hornblower
02-24-2015, 10:05 AM
No belly scraping here but I'm allways dragging pegs on my F6B sport bike ... LOL I actually picked up a extra set of pegs and going to drill and tap some titanium scags to the bottom for a night show .

Don't know which "scags" you're considering but here are the titanium pucks that several of us are currently using:

http://www.pepsx.com/products.html

I was originally tipped off on these by Big Dawg and they are outstanding :yes: 'all/right'

SoCal Rich
03-01-2015, 07:22 PM
No discernable difference in smoothness. An improvement in clearance but not a BIG difference.

So...I just opened my shop manual to the rear suspension chapter 17. What a crappy chapter! I cannot figure out how to raise the rear suspension. Is it a manual adjustment or some sort of automated one?

Could somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks!!

SoCal Rich
03-01-2015, 08:18 PM
So...I just opened my shop manual to the rear suspension chapter 17. What a crappy chapter! I cannot figure out how to raise the rear suspension. Is it a manual adjustment or some sort of automated one?

Could somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks!!

Never mind, I found a post that explained about removing the side cover just front of the saddlebag. Thanks anyway. Love this forum!!!

53driver
03-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Never mind, I found a post that explained about removing the side cover just front of the saddlebag. Thanks anyway. Love this forum!!!

It's actually the right side cover, if you are sitting on the bike......

SoCal Rich
03-09-2015, 09:10 PM
300 miles yesterday after making the rear suspension adjustment. Wow! What a difference. We took some really big twisties and it didn't scrape but once. In fact, I intentionally tried to scrape many times and it did not. So this is a great improvement. It's not as soft a ride as it was, but the front and back feel much more matched now, and it feels tighter in a good way. I like it, thanks to all contributors!