PDA

View Full Version : Short? Here's a good place for seat modification

Clutch
10-03-2014, 05:44 AM
I'm vertically challenged at 5'3" and 29" inseam. I was having a hard time managing the bike around parking spots, and coming to stops. My posture was also a bit painful on long rides because I had to lean forward and put weight on my wrists. I knew the Mustang seat would lower me an inch, but right now I just couldn't afford the high price right now.

Mean City Cycles modified my stock seat for $140. They moved me down about 2 inches and forward 2 inches. I'm really impressed by their work.

Here are before and after pictures. Note the foot position and upper body angle. I can finally get my entire foot on the ground, while before, I could only get the tip of my boot:

So if anyone else out there has similar problems, I recommend these guys.

They can also install a heating element and backrest. For tall riders, they can also modify the seat to move you backward.

jkelley
10-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Yup Allen at Mean City does great work and quick too.

Scotrod
10-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Yup Allen at Mean City does great work and quick too.

X2!!!

srt8-in-largo
10-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for sharing Clutch, what did they do... remove some foam?

With a 32" inseam I can *barely* NOT flatfoot the bike so I like to do something like this too.

Clutch
10-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Hey srt8 --

Yes they can remove and add memory foam in different places to get different effects. So they can do all kinds of different modifications for tall people or short people to help make their posture more comfortable.

srt8-in-largo
10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
:yes: thanks.

I just looked through the gallery on their website... looks like there's nothing they can't do... even adding a drivers backrest which a lot of people ask about.

Bookmarked :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
10-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Had my old VTX seat modded by Allen. He put a nice 'scoop' in it that was absolutely more comfy than OEM. :yes:

foodog2
10-05-2014, 11:02 PM
They did mine last week plus added heat!

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm vertically challenged at 5'3" and 29" inseam. I was having a hard time managing the bike around parking spots, and coming to stops. My posture was also a bit painful on long rides because I had to lean forward and put weight on my wrists. I knew the Mustang seat would lower me an inch, but right now I just couldn't afford the high price right now.

Mean City Cycles modified my stock seat for $140. They moved me down about 2 inches and forward 2 inches. I'm really impressed by their work.

Here are before and after pictures. Note the foot position and upper body angle. I can finally get my entire foot on the ground, while before, I could only get the tip of my boot:

So if anyone else out there has similar problems, I recommend these guys.

They can also install a heating element and backrest. For tall riders, they can also modify the seat to move you backward.
I had a similar problem last year before the Mustang seat was available so I took my bike to Clancy's Speed shop in Cotati, Ca. He opened my stock seat and selectively cut away foam from under my under my butt area and legs so that my 30" inseam could hit the ground flatfooted. Worked great and did it while I waited so that after each successive resection, I could "try out" the changes. The OEM seat looks stock because there is no new stitching--it just has more give when I sit on it!

When my Mustang seat finally arrived, I was impressed with the finish but not the fit nor waterproof top layer so I now use both, but the modified OEM seat is still lower and fits better.

Steve 0080
10-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I had a similar problem last year before the Mustang seat was available so I took my bike to Clancy's Speed shop in Cotati, Ca. He opened my stock seat and selectively cut away foam from under my under my butt area and legs so that my 30" inseam could hit the ground flatfooted. Worked great and did it while I waited so that after each successive resection, I could "try out" the changes. The OEM seat looks stock because there is no new stitching--it just has more give when I sit on it!

When my Mustang seat finally arrived, I was impressed with the finish but not the fit nor waterproof top layer so I now use both, but the modified OEM seat is still lower and fits better.

Sooooooooooooooooo are you using the Mustang or the stock seat re built?

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Sooooooooooooooooo are you using the Mustang or the stock seat re built?

I actually like both and use them for different seasons/rides. The Mustang looks sharp and provides a surprising amount of low back support so I prefer it to the OEM for longer rides. But the OEM is waterproof (at least in light rain) and does not drop me back away from the bars as much as the Mustang does so the OEM riding position is more sport oriented, especially since I use the K-risers to bring them back and down a bit. I also think the OEM seat is sexier looking than the bucket look of the Mustang when seen from the side and back, but then I fell in love with the bike at first sight so it is hard to shake that initial impression. From the looks of the seat surveys, most guys still run stock seats, but the Mustang may be the most popular aftermarket seat. I guess I am therefore like most guys in liking them both

jaygollner
10-09-2014, 06:09 AM

Do you feel like you need to do anything with the handlebars? I am thinking of sending one of my Valkyrie seats down there so my daughter can start riding the Valk and am trying to figure out what else I will need to do to go with it.

Clutch
10-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Do you feel like you need to do anything with the handlebars? I am thinking of sending one of my Valkyrie seats down there so my daughter can start riding the Valk and am trying to figure out what else I will need to do to go with it.

I was uncomfortable with the handlebars before the seat change because I was leaning on my hands. Now that I'm not leaning on my hands anymore, I feel much more comfortable. I'm not sure yet if the angle of the grips or if the distance apart needs to be updated, but a super long ride yet (8+ hours) would tell. So far I'm feeling quite comfortable with the stock setup on the handlebars.

JetBlackWing
03-21-2016, 02:40 PM
I was uncomfortable with the handlebars before the seat change because I was leaning on my hands. Now that I'm not leaning on my hands anymore, I feel much more comfortable. I'm not sure yet if the angle of the grips or if the distance apart needs to be updated, but a super long ride yet (8+ hours) would tell. So far I'm feeling quite comfortable with the stock setup on the handlebars.

I was wondering if your seat modification has cause your inner thighs to rub the painted surface of the panels below the seat? I still trying to decide how to make mine fit me better. About 5'4' 29-30 inch inseam here too. Are you riding with a taller than OEM windshield? I put an 11" which I think is about right with my stock seat.