PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 6 compatibility

KenSk8Man
10-03-2014, 12:52 PM
I've been using my iPhone 4s successfully for quite some time as I prefer using Pandora to provide music.

I just replaced my iPhone 4s with an iPhone 6, and lo and behold, it does not work.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

53driver
10-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Are you using the USB jack or the 1/8" stereo jack?

Fla_rider
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
When you say use what exactly are you referring to? I use a Bluetooth flash receiver with a earplug jack for the left cubby Input. This way I can Bluetooth Pandora to the left jack, ipod classic in left saddlebag, and FM on bike. gives me 3 options. I am using a iPhone 5S and yes I run Pandora on the iPhone.

KenSk8Man
10-03-2014, 06:41 PM
When you say use what exactly are you referring to? I use a Bluetooth flash receiver with a earplug jack for the left cubby Input. This way I can Bluetooth Pandora to the left jack, ipod classic in left saddlebag, and FM on bike. gives me 3 options. I am using a iPhone 5S and yes I run Pandora on the iPhone.

I use the USB. I ran a USB to the glovebox and powered and controlled my iphone 4S from the USB and handlebar controls. When I switched the radio to AUX, the ipod icon would appear on the display, and everything was cool.

When I plug the iPhone 6 in, the display stays on AUX, the USB icon comes on, but no audio comes through.

Steve 0080
10-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I have the I Phone 6 and have had no troubles at all... Bluetooth with Pandora is fine !!!

KenSk8Man
10-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I have the I Phone 6 and have had no troubles at all... Bluetooth with Pandora is fine !!!

Does the F6B radio have Bluetooth? I liked the USB because the whole time I was riding, the phone would be charging.

Steve 0080
10-03-2014, 07:09 PM
The bike no..... look up LG Tone I feel the best for a bike and helmet !!!

http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Tone-Hbs-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B00JMV89N8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412381223&sr=8-4&keywords=lg+tone+hbs+730

Don't buy one w/o a box...there are knock offs on Amazon...or go to Best Buy, show them on your phone a pic of the Tone w/ Prime on Amazon and they will price match! That way you know you are getting a good one.....my son got stuck with a after market and it did not last long!!!!!!!! :yikes:

Fla_rider
10-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Ken - I have to start somewhere so don't get offended please. You do know there are two AUX positions? Because you did not state that, wait you said you had a usb symbol. So Just to check the phone since you have it in the cubby plug it into the stereo jack and see if that works.

Does f6b have Bluetooth - kind of, you can add it. Take a power source in the left cubby buy a usb Bluetooth receiver with a stereo jack and plug your stereo jack into it. Tell your iPhone to search for it and connect. Listen to Pandy all day long.

BubbaJePH
10-05-2014, 07:56 PM
I found out that using a non-supported usb, charging cable, my iPhone 5S would tell me it was not supported after some 30 minutes and no charging, nothing. I may be out in left field but you are using the Apple cable?

KenSk8Man
10-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Ken - I have to start somewhere so don't get offended please. You do know there are two AUX positions? Because you did not state that, wait you said you had a usb symbol. So Just to check the phone since you have it in the cubby plug it into the stereo jack and see if that works.

Does f6b have Bluetooth - kind of, you can add it. Take a power source in the left cubby buy a usb Bluetooth receiver with a stereo jack and plug your stereo jack into it. Tell your iPhone to search for it and connect. Listen to Pandy all day long.

Ha Haaa! No offense taken :)

...previously:

iPhone 4s

1. I could plug the USB end of my iPhone4s into the F6B USB receptacle, and I would hit the AUX button on the F6B radio. When I did that, the word iPod would appear on the F6B screen display. This mode allowed me to control the iPhone (I could skip songs forward or reverse, etc). The beauty of this mode is the phone charges the whole time u r playing music.

2. I could also plug the F6B USB RCA plug into the headphone out plug on my iPhone4s. I would hit the AUX button on the F6B radio. When I did that, the USB symbol would appear on the F6B screen display. This mode allowed me to control the iPhone volume only. There is no controlling the phone (obviously, because your radio input was strictly iPhone audio out). The disadvantage to this mode is obviously no song control, and the phone does NOT charge while playing music.

iPhone 6

1. When I plug the USB end of my iPhone6 into the F6B USB receptacle, and hit the AUX button on the F6B radio, the word iPod does NOT appear on the F6B screen display. Instead, I get the USB symbol, and NOTHING happens. NO iPhone music.

2. I could also plug the F6B USB RCA plug into the headphone out plug on my iPhone 6. Operation is identical to that of #2 under iPhone 4s.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I now have 2 options (in my opinion, barring any fixes or solutions from you guys)

1. I will install a cigarette lighter receptacle in my glovebox, power the iPhone 6 through that, and use the headphone out jack on the iPhone 6 and play through the AUX with no song control, but continual charging while playing.

2. I ordered a conversion plug to convert the lightning cable (iPhone 5 & 6) to the 30 pin iPhone 4 cable. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

KenSk8Man
10-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I just read this article. It appears there are problems and functions lost with the lightning cable to USB on radios.

Gives me an optimistic outlook to trying the adapter described in my post above.

http://www.appradioworld.com/2012/10/pioneer-posts-compatibility-charts.html

rumble-b
10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I just read this article. It appears there are problems and functions lost with the lightning cable to USB on radios.

Gives me an optimistic outlook to trying the adapter described in my post above.

http://www.appradioworld.com/2012/10/pioneer-posts-compatibility-charts.html

I had this problem on my home audio dock, when i got an iphone 5. I got the adapter for the Lightning cable to 30 pin, however it will only charge, NOT transfer audio. I hope you have better luck , but i don't think the adapter will work. I think i remember reading somewhere that the 1Phone 5S wouldn't work on the F6B either.

KenSk8Man
10-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I had this problem on my home audio dock, when i got an iphone 5. I got the adapter for the Lightning cable to 30 pin, however it will only charge, NOT transfer audio. I hope you have better luck , but i don't think the adapter will work. I think i remember reading somewhere that the 1Phone 5S wouldn't work on the F6B either.

I bought the 30 pin adapter with the rca plug attached. If in fact what I'm interpreting is correct, the rca will piggyback analog audio into the 30 pin, and all will be good.

I'll keep u posted

...ps...if honda installed a digital audio radio, it would work flawlessly. A little disappointed.

KenSk8Man
10-17-2014, 11:10 AM
I bought the 30 pin adapter with the rca plug attached. If in fact what I'm interpreting is correct, the rca will piggyback analog audio into the 30 pin, and all will be good.

I'll keep u posted

...ps...if honda installed a digital audio radio, it would work flawlessly. A little disappointed.

I tried the 30pin+RCA to lightning adapter - No Luck
I bought the Apple 30pin to lightning (supposedly has a D to A converter built in) - No Luck

I'm getting enlightened each step of the way.

Apparently, the F6B Radio supports IPOD OUT. Here's the rub though: "iPod Out" doesn't actually mean "audio output from an iPod." It's the branding for a very specific feature for cars and remote-screen tools that was included in iOS 4, which delivered a customized iOS graphic display via the in-dash screens when the device was docked. BMW made a big deal of including this feature as early as 2010, but few other manufacturers have jumped on board.

THAT explains why even with the adapter that provides analog audio out, it won't necessarily work with the F6B USB.

What I will now do, simply attach the audio out (headphone jack) on my iPhone 6 to the F6B RCA audio in, and use the accessory socket with USB charger adapter to charge the phone while playing.

:banghead:

av8rdave
10-18-2014, 06:12 AM
My iPhone 4 worked great, but it died in me. The battery crapped out completely, and the sleep/wake switch failed.

My iPhone 5 would work just fine on the F6B for 7 minutes, then I would get a "check USB" message and the music would quit. Eventually, I got no response at all from it - the system wouldn't even recognize it.

I went to amazon.com and ordered an iPhone 4 battery replacement with required tools and instructions for $9.99 (including shipping). I use my MacBook to transfer music to it, and use it only as a music player for the bike.

If you don't have an iPhone 4, a simpler solution might be to transfer your music to a flash drive and plug that into your USB port. I think there are several threads here that address choosing the correct format.

Like you, I prefer the USB option, because I like having control of the player.

Good luck!

Injun Joe
10-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Cheap iPods from a pawn shop or ebay are another option. I use a nano I picked up for $16 I think.

BACA
11-23-2014, 02:23 PM
My iPhone 6, this....... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5RGAWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ......plug it into the saddlebag USB connector and the iPhone 6, turn the key to the on position, the and display reads iPod, select a playlist and it plays the music and charges the phone, just like it did with my iPhone 4.

I read somewhere that the cable (cord), must be apple certified to work properly.....so I purchased the cable from Amazon and it seems to work just fine on my iphone 6.

Ride Safe!!

luckyluciano
08-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread but did not want to start another.

I'm very frustrated. My iPhone 6 does not work at all with the saddlebag usb and my previous iPhone models did.

Some say need apple cert cable, some say doesn't matter what you use, the usb will never work with iPhone 6.

Can owners who have the iPhone 6 please respond and let us know if the USB works or not. Anyone get it to work?

I have tried numerous cables which I have in my house. Not sure if they are apple certified.
They all look the same. The aux button shows the usb signal onscreen or the iPod symbol which reads "no song". Neither setting produces sound through the USB.

Am I waisting my time. I like to use a music service like Deezer or Spotify when riding and listening to FM with commercials is driving me nuts.

Do I need to add a Bluetooth system? What do I do? So confused. Can I get the USB to work with my iPhone 6 or not?

PS-I just bought the Garmin Zumo 595 but I prefer to use the Speakers on the bike.

Help us much appreciated.

speeddrive1
08-07-2016, 08:08 PM
My 6s works with the usb on my 15 f6b deluxe with no problems at all.

MisterB
08-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Lucky, my 6+ does not work with the USB in the saddlebag. Flash drive works great. Phone simply will not work. I've tried all manner of cables from the OEM that came with it to many, many aftermarket cables. I even bought a couple USB plugs to try to extend a Lightning cable up to the front, no luck.
I couldn't find anything about F6B being in the Made for Ipod (MFI) program, but hooking Lightning>USB in my CRV works like a charm and many here have no problems with their F6B.
Mine is a 2013, maybe there is a firmware update. I have gotten an iPod to hook up to it, but my dream of running a lightning cable to the handlebars to have digital out and handlebar controls has been dashed.
I'd like to say it's a warranty issue, but I haven't found the page that guarantees it will hook up to an iPhone or that the bike is MFI compliant.
The dongles that some have used in the trunk to hook via USB have all failed me, either noisy or strange skips. I have a bluetooth car kit in the left pocket hooked up to 12V USB adapter and a female-female adapter to hook it into AUX. I leave a flash drive plugged into the trunk USB with a bunch of my favorites and switch between that and the phone.
Please post if you make some progress.
Robert

luckyluciano
08-07-2016, 10:24 PM
So speeddrive has no issues with iPhone 6 and misterb and myself cannot get the USB iPhone 6 to work.

anyone else? Anyone with insights? There surely must be more f6b owners with the iPhone 6.

luckyluciano
08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Where are all the helpful iPhone 6 users?

Maddoggie501
08-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I tried the 30pin+RCA to lightning adapter - No Luck
I bought the Apple 30pin to lightning (supposedly has a D to A converter built in) - No Luck

I'm getting enlightened each step of the way.

Apparently, the F6B Radio supports IPOD OUT. Here's the rub though: "iPod Out" doesn't actually mean "audio output from an iPod." It's the branding for a very specific feature for cars and remote-screen tools that was included in iOS 4, which delivered a customized iOS graphic display via the in-dash screens when the device was docked. BMW made a big deal of including this feature as early as 2010, but few other manufacturers have jumped on board.

THAT explains why even with the adapter that provides analog audio out, it won't necessarily work with the F6B USB.

What I will now do, simply attach the audio out (headphone jack) on my iPhone 6 to the F6B RCA audio in, and use the accessory socket with USB charger adapter to charge the phone while playing.

:banghead:

I have tried numerous times to connect my iPhone 6S audio out to the RCA plug in the left glove box. It will not work. However, it did work when I connected an old mini iPod. I now keep the mini iPod plugged into the USB port in the left saddlebag, where it works perfectly vis the handlebar switches. I just gave up on the iPhone 6S. I believe it needs a bluetooth adapter to work

Broken Hand
08-09-2016, 11:38 PM
No problems getting my 6s+ to work with USB connection. I always open Music app to set focus before I close up the saddlebag lid.

Good Luck.

Kurare79
08-10-2016, 03:21 AM
It's really a strange thing: One day my iPhone 6S works by connecting to the USB in the saddle bag. Next time i start the engine again, it doesn't ("Check USB"). :shrug:

I'll try the tip from Broken Hand next time and will see.

speeddrive1
08-10-2016, 04:04 AM
I have tried numerous times to connect my iPhone 6S audio out to the RCA plug in the left glove box. It will not work. However, it did work when I connected an old mini iPod. I now keep the mini iPod plugged into the USB port in the left saddlebag, where it works perfectly vis the handlebar switches. I just gave up on the iPhone 6S. I believe it needs a bluetooth adapter to work

If you have a cover on your phone it might restrict the plug from being inserted all the way in. Try removing the cover from phone and try the plug again.

bgd8rd
08-10-2016, 06:57 AM
I still can't get over the fact you had an iPhone 4 up until just recently....:shock:

Maddoggie501
08-10-2016, 11:37 AM
If you have a cover on your phone it might restrict the plug from being inserted all the way in. Try removing the cover from phone and try the plug again.

Its definitely the plug. I matched up the headset that comes with the iPhone and the RCA plug is a little different than the RCA plug in the left dash compartment. Wish I could figure how to post the two RCA plugs. The iPhone plug has 3 separate white areas while the F6B plug has two. Maybe there is an adapter out there.

Slammd
08-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Both my previous iPhone 5s and my current 6+ work as advertised! My thoughts on the issue are also around the cable. I have ALWAYS utilized the provided Apple cable to connect to the saddlebag USB interface. In fact, I purchased an extra long one (approx 6'), plugged it into the USB connector and neatly ran it up to the handlebars. No problem! That said, the only issue I have experienced…on occasion, I am unable to advance to the next song or go to previous song from the handlebar controls. I learned that when this happens, I just shut down my phone and turn it back on and it clears the issue.

VStarRider
08-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Those of you who have a subscription to Sirius XM satellite radio at home or in a car...you can download the XM app to your phone and stream your favorite channels for free until August 17.

MisterB
08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Its definitely the plug. I matched up the headset that comes with the iPhone and the RCA plug is a little different than the RCA plug in the left dash compartment. Wish I could figure how to post the two RCA plugs. The iPhone plug has 3 separate white areas while the F6B plug has two. Maybe there is an adapter out there.

The extra ring is for the microphone. The iphone headphone jack is designed to accept either, I regularly plug my phone into some speakers that have only tip/ring/sleeve 3.5MM connection.
If your phone works with headphones then it is reasonable to say that you don't have an issue with the 3.5mm output jack on the phone.

Turn your key to Accessory, set audio to AUX with volume at about 8 and tap on the tip of the cord in the cubby. Do you hear a slight buzzy/electrical tap coming out of the speakers? Can you plug a different player into the cubby plug and get sound? If so, it could be that the volume is down on the phone.
I know this sounds crazy, but if you adjust the volume on the phone to full without anything plugged in, that is a different volume level than you will have when you plug in a headphone jack.
I just double-checked and yes, volume is retained from your last headphone session.
Also, you may have to click the AUX button one time.

If the cubby plug physically won't go completely into your case because of girth you can either use a razor blade to whittle it down a little bit (not recommended), or take your phone out of the case and use something to ream the hole a little bigger.

If the issue is that the right-angle adapter makes it so it can't plug in all the way, take the phone out of the case, plug it in and verify that it works, the order one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLZWP0W/ref=twister_B00DODWAAI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This adds 1-1/2' but terminates in a straight plug that should plug into almost any case.

MisterB
08-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Both my previous iPhone 5s and my current 6+ work as advertised! My thoughts on the issue are also around the cable. I have ALWAYS utilized the provided Apple cable to connect to the saddlebag USB interface. In fact, I purchased an extra long one (approx 6'), plugged it into the USB connector and neatly ran it up to the handlebars. No problem! That said, the only issue I have experienced…on occasion, I am unable to advance to the next song or go to previous song from the handlebar controls. I learned that when this happens, I just shut down my phone and turn it back on and it clears the issue.
Oh you lucky dog, you're living the dream! I'm guessing you have a newer model B? It won't even register my 6+ no matter how many OEM and aftermarket cables I try, disconnect battery, push all the buttons. One of these days I'll take it to a dealer for the brake recall and see if there is a firmware update. For now it's bluetooth in the cubby and flash drive in the trunk.

Broken Hand
08-10-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm guessing you have a newer model B?

Good point. Mine is a '14

speeddrive1
08-10-2016, 08:17 PM

If it isn't pushed all of the way in, even a short hair off from all the way in it won't work

Maddoggie501
08-10-2016, 09:42 PM
The extra ring is for the microphone. The iphone headphone jack is designed to accept either, I regularly plug my phone into some speakers that have only tip/ring/sleeve 3.5MM connection.
If your phone works with headphones then it is reasonable to say that you don't have an issue with the 3.5mm output jack on the phone.

Turn your key to Accessory, set audio to AUX with volume at about 8 and tap on the tip of the cord in the cubby. Do you hear a slight buzzy/electrical tap coming out of the speakers? Can you plug a different player into the cubby plug and get sound? If so, it could be that the volume is down on the phone.
I know this sounds crazy, but if you adjust the volume on the phone to full without anything plugged in, that is a different volume level than you will have when you plug in a headphone jack.
I just double-checked and yes, volume is retained from your last headphone session.
Also, you may have to click the AUX button one time.

If the cubby plug physically won't go completely into your case because of girth you can either use a razor blade to whittle it down a little bit (not recommended), or take your phone out of the case and use something to ream the hole a little bigger.

If the issue is that the right-angle adapter makes it so it can't plug in all the way, take the phone out of the case, plug it in and verify that it works, the order one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLZWP0W/ref=twister_B00DODWAAI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This adds 1-1/2' but terminates in a straight plug that should plug into almost any case.

I'll give it a try. I took a photo of the two plugs for what its worth The iPhone plug is on the left.. I got it to work Thanks for your help22715

luckyluciano
08-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Purchased the cable and no difference, iPhone 6 Plus doesn't work with saddlebag USB.

Is there a Bluetooth dongle or device that will allow streaming from the iPhone 6+ reliably and still allow the functionality of the handlebar controls?

billsim
08-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Purchased the cable and no difference, iPhone 6 Plus doesn't work with saddlebag USB.

Is there a Bluetooth dongle or device that will allow streaming from the iPhone 6+ reliably and still allow the functionality of the handlebar controls?

I run this bluetooth adapter (https://www.amazon.com/TPCROMEER-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver-Cellphones/dp/B00KD7YNTO) plugged into my usb cable in the left rear saddlebag.
I have a Iphone 6S and it works well. Allows me to shuffle thru my Pandora music from the handlemars.

Have had it about a year now and it works well. Best option for me.

Bill

SimonTemplar
08-20-2016, 12:00 AM
I run this bluetooth adapter (https://www.amazon.com/TPCROMEER-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver-Cellphones/dp/B00KD7YNTO) plugged into my usb cable in the left rear saddlebag.
I have a Iphone 6S and it works well. Allows me to shuffle thru my Pandora music from the handlemars.

Have had it about a year now and it works well. Best option for me.

But does it allow you to stream the music files on your iPhone with standard menuing?

....sT

billsim
08-20-2016, 07:53 PM
But does it allow you to stream the music files on your iPhone with standard menuing?

....sT

What is standard menuing? I can skip songs with Pandora or Itunes using LH handlebar lower toggle switch if that is what you mean.

SimonTemplar
08-21-2016, 12:30 AM
......I can skip songs with Pandora or Itunes using LH handlebar lower toggle switch if that is what you mean.

But can you scroll and select Playlists, Artists, or Albums, etc?

All of this is part of what Honda promised us with USB/iDevice compatibility. I have an older iPod Touch that works fine....but a brand spanking new iPod Touch that will only play 8 tracks and then locks up. The iPod is fine.....its a bug within the Honda interface. What that bug is, precisely...and what specifically triggers it....is still unclear.

....sT

Nuke
08-21-2016, 09:00 PM
I have a iPhone 6+ and a 2013 model, no problems playing the music thru the bikes system. The handle bar controls work as they should. It's not a plug and go process, the iPhone has to be set up to play first then plug in and hit AUX twice. The bike system reads IPOD and plays as it should. I do have to start the music and turn the phone volume all the way up then plug in and use the handle bar controls.

MisterB
08-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks for that Nuke, exact same setup here with no connection ever. When I get around to the brake recall I'll see if they can do something about the stereo also.
I don't think it's my phone or any of my many OEM or aftermarket cables because it hooks up fine to both of our Honda CRV USB connections to the sound systems.
Now to find a dealer I can trust to do the work in my area!

txswat
04-13-2017, 04:30 PM
I use the USB. I ran a USB to the glovebox and powered and controlled my iphone 4S from the USB and handlebar controls. When I switched the radio to AUX, the ipod icon would appear on the display, and everything was cool.

When I plug the iPhone 6 in, the display stays on AUX, the USB icon comes on, but no audio comes through.

Please explain...not sure why they put everything in the rear/locked saddlebag for this...tks

copper
04-13-2017, 04:45 PM
I have a iPhone 6+ and a 2013 model, no problems playing the music thru the bikes system. The handle bar controls work as they should. It's not a plug and go process, the iPhone has to be set up to play first then plug in and hit AUX twice. The bike system reads IPOD and plays as it should. I do have to start the music and turn the phone volume all the way up then plug in and use the handle bar controls.

I'll have to try that with my iPhone 6, thanks!

I've used my iPod successfully, but hadn't figured out how to work the iPhone yet....

Audiochris90
04-14-2017, 10:02 AM
This is a good thread on a very confusing subject. In the middle of the digital issues some posts started talking about the analog stuff, and might be confusing to some. Simply, the digital connection is the usb in the left rear saddlebag. If you're lucky to get it to work with iphone or ipod it gives you volume and track control at the handlebars. The analog connection is the plug in the left front cubby. Its a headphone type jack that only gives you volume control on the handlebars. For me, it is a lower quality than the rear usb digital source. My old ipod and my iphone 5s don't work on the usb in the rear on my 2016. A flash drive works great.