PDA

View Full Version : 2013, 2014 or 2015 F6B

mholmes226
10-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Any opinion on if there is any difference or if one model is better that the other, 2013 or 2014??

Also I have done research and I have not found any information about the 2015 prices. Is ther any speculation of the prices for the 2015 models?

motoman
10-11-2014, 07:46 PM
2013 and 2014 are the same. I believe the 2015 includes cruise control on the standard model. Several guys will be along shortly to clarify all of this for you.

One issue that I've always been curious about is the Tooling. Honda developed machining equipment to produce the Goldwing motor. That machining will wear over time, possibly causing clearances to approach their limits and go out of spec. I'm sure these specs and clearances are checked regularly, but it is possible that later models may have tolerances that are at the outer limits of spec, possibly before the machining is refurbished or replaced.

That is why I purchased a 2013. :039: Although I don't know whether the F6B GL1800 motor comes off of the same assembly line as the full Goldwing.

wantone
10-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Any opinion on if there is any difference or if one model is better that the other, 2013 or 2014??

Also I have done research and I have not found any information about the 2015 prices. Is ther any speculation of the prices for the 2015 models?

They r all the same IMO. Goldwing platform has been around even before I was born. It has been improved, refined and upgraded. 2015 comes with cruise and that's it I think. If I were U, I wud get one of the 13 or 14 for a good deal. And install -------- for like $1000 and U will still save ton of money. Have a feeling u can get 13 or 14 for like close to $ 13k now.

XKnight
10-11-2014, 09:06 PM
If cost is a factor then get a leftover 2013. Great deals to be had and the bikes haven't changed very much. Some say the transmission was upgraded in 2014 and 2015 has cruise control standard. I love my 2013 F6B. Smooth, fast, comfortable, reliable and handles like a giant sport bike. Easily the best bike I've ever owned.

slather1
10-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Wouldn't call it speculation my dealer told me the 2015 is $500 more than the 2014. I am in.

CheesyRider
10-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't call it speculation my dealer told me the 2015 is $500 more than the 2014. I am in.
Dealers say a lot of things. Unless you were actually shown something official from Honda, I'd still call it speculation.

slather1
10-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Dealers say a lot of things. Unless you were actually shown something official from Honda, I'd still call it speculation.

Ha Ha OK

bigbird
10-11-2014, 10:00 PM
That machining will wear over time, possibly causing clearances to approach their limits and go out of spec. I'm sure these specs and clearances are checked regularly, but it is possible that later models may have tolerances that are at the outer limits of spec, possibly before the machining is refurbished or replaced.

All robotics are programmed to compensate for tooling wear.

In 2014, the 4th and 5th gears of the trans were upgraded with improved hardening. This applies to all Goldwing production.
If you want the most recent updating to all components, you get a '15. If you want the best price, you get a '13.

valkmc
10-12-2014, 08:23 AM
All robotics are programmed to compensate for tooling wear.

In 2014, the 4th and 5th gears of the trans were upgraded with improved hardening. This applies to all Goldwing production.
If you want the most recent updating to all components, you get a '15. If you want the best price, you get a '13.

I agree if price is what you are concerned about shop for a 13. Cruise wasn't a deal breaker for me. I used it on my 12 Wing but in all reality I have owned bikes since 1975 and have ridden all over the country including Alaska with out it. I found a 2013 F6 new at a local dealer. I am in an out of the place because I am currently attempting to restore a 1982 CB 750F, the F6 sat there for 4 months while a couple of black deluxes came and went. I got it for 13.5K and demanded what I wanted for the Wing, in no way did I think they would do it but they did. They will deal on 13's if you can find one and if you are going to keep it for a while the year is not all that important.

opas ride
10-12-2014, 11:09 AM
I was at a bike swap meet and sale yesterday just looking around..Stopped at a trike display and ended up talking with the owner..His info, right or wrong, or just speculation, is that the GW and F6B are going to be completely updated for 2016...New and larger motor, new adjustable suspensions, adjustable electric windshield, upgraded instruments, etc. etc,...Said it was time Honda moved forward as the new BMW as taken the top spot away from Honda's touring bikes???...No opinion one way another, just what I was told by him.....

F6B1911
10-12-2014, 11:21 AM
I was at a bike swap meet and sale yesterday just looking around..Stopped at a trike display and ended up talking with the owner..His info, right or wrong, or just speculation, is that the GW and F6B are going to be completely updated for 2016...New and larger motor, new adjustable suspensions, adjustable electric windshield, upgraded instruments, etc. etc,...Said it was time Honda moved forward as the new BMW as taken the top spot away from Honda's touring bikes???...No opinion one way another, just what I was told by him.....

I'll bet they go bigger than the Triumph, the capacity of the Rocket III Roadster is a huge 2,294cc.
Is there any truth to the rumors that the color will be limited to the faster Black?

bigbird
10-12-2014, 12:06 PM
.New and larger motor, new adjustable suspensions, adjustable electric windshield, upgraded instruments, etc. etc,..

I'll say no thank you to all those rumoured upgrades. 1832cc tried and true engine is just fine with me. An upgraded engine will likely have drive-by-wire. Until that's all worked out (software, over-sensitive throttle response, drive train snatch) I would be very skittish. If this is for the GL1800 boys, more power to them (pun intended). To me, it just means more complexity, cost, and weight. Likely a DCT trans will be in the mix. Again, no thank you.

The only upgrade that would pique my interest would be all LED lighting.

SCMike
10-12-2014, 04:33 PM
It may be hard to get a 2015. I spoke with the owner of a huge regional Honda dealer specializing in Gold Wings today. He said he still has 18 2013s and has never ordered a 2014 and won't until he sells the '13s. He said he doesn't believe any of the 2015s have been imported into this country.

Scotrod
10-12-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd let Momma Honda soak up the depreciation and get a 13,,,

Brian D
10-12-2014, 07:00 PM

If these speculations turn out to be true I'll welcome 2016 with open arms. I really like this f6 and enjoy the endless power. But just my 2cents for this bike being Hondas flagship it sure is behind the times on technology

XKnight
10-12-2014, 07:20 PM

These rumors are heard every year, eventually they will turn out to be true. Like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

srt8-in-largo
10-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Drive-by-wire would be a nice addition... this technology has been mainstream for, what, 15 years?

I think DBW would make it easier to fix niggling issues like twitchy throttle response and the cold stumble.

bigbird
10-12-2014, 08:53 PM
I think DBW would make it easier to fix niggling issues like twitchy throttle response and the cold stumble.

Tell that to Yamaha with their history of drivability trouble with the Super Tenere and the FZ-09.

mholmes226
10-13-2014, 03:17 AM
It may be hard to get a 2015. I spoke with the owner of a huge regional Honda dealer specializing in Gold Wings today. He said he still has 18 2013s and has never ordered a 2014 and won't until he sells the '13s. He said he doesn't believe any of the 2015s have been imported into this country.

Hey SCMike,

Which dealer are you referring to? I'm still in the market for an F6B. Thanks!

motoman
10-13-2014, 11:35 AM
.Stopped at a trike display and ended up talking with the owner..His info, right or wrong, or just speculation, is that the GW and F6B are going to be completely updated for 2016...New and larger motor, new adjustable suspensions, adjustable electric windshield, upgraded instruments, etc. etc,...Said it was time Honda moved forward as the new BMW as taken the top spot away from Honda's touring bikes???...

The GW is first and foremost a touring bike, therefore MPG is important. 1800cc is already big motor, and it delivers good power way down low where you need it, plus the flat layout keeps the weight low. I could see Honda tweaking it, maybe DOHC, maybe turbo? The GW is Honda's bread and butter, and they will squeeze every dime of profit out of it as long as they can.

As far as the other options, I'm sure Honda has got 'em in the works, but they won't bring 'em out until they absolutely have to. Plus they have to hit a price point. People don't wanna pay $26K for a Honda like they would for a BMW. It would be really nice to allow previous owners to upgrade to any new features offered on new models. Are you listening, Honda? :poke:

Interestingly, a lot of the options you speak of are on the ST1300, which is an excellent bike, now discontinued.

srt8-in-largo
10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Tell that to Yamaha with their history of drivability trouble with the Super Tenere and the FZ-09.

I don't know what the issues were with those bikes, but even DBW systems can be difficult if the engine is being pushed with regard to power output.

My point was that fixing\adjusting\experimenting throttle control issues is easier and more precise when done through a tune, as opposed to messing around with a physical linkage. You do need a good (great) tuner who knows what he's doing; maybe that was Yamaha's problem :icon_biggrin:

Big Jay
10-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Give me a good old cable any day.

F6Berto
10-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Just want to say that the F6B is an awesome bike. As the years go by, there will always be modifications and improvements. One thing I was surprised when working on my F6B, Honda was still using the Waste Spark system on it. Why not use the Direct Ignition system COP. Today the ignition coils are smaller, lighter, higher quality and it incorporates the power transistor, eliminating the high tension wires, etc.

srt8-in-largo
10-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Give me a good old cable any day.

C'monnnnnnn... enjoy the 21st century :icon_mrgreen:

Fuel injection > carburetion

Drive-by-wire > cable

Big Jay
10-13-2014, 08:32 PM
C'monnnnnnn... enjoy the 21st century :icon_mrgreen:

Fuel injection > carburetion

Drive-by-wire > cable

I Like fuel injection and many other modern developments just don't like drive by wire , most every vehicle I've driven with drive by wire isn't as smooth of a control as the old cable and fuel injection. Just my experience and opinion. :icon_biggrin:

SCMike
10-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Hey SCMike,

Schroaders in Hendersonville, N.C.

Bunny
10-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Hey SCMike,

yes i wpuld like like to know which dealer as i am also looking for one too.

srt8-in-largo
10-13-2014, 09:40 PM
I Like fuel injection and many other modern developments just don't like drive by wire , most every vehicle I've driven with drive by wire isn't as smooth of a control as the old cable and fuel injection. Just my experience and opinion. :icon_biggrin:

I hear ya. I guess I'm on a bit of a rant. I don't have the Stumble but I do have a VERY twitchy throttle at times... twist a little but get a big response. Sometimes this is just embarrassing, but in other situations it's dangerous. I doubt if much can be done easily to fix this in a cabled system, but if it were drive-by-wire a "simple" tune adjustment could make this disappear.

Ryo
10-14-2014, 04:15 AM
The future is DTC transmission... A sixth traditional gear is a nonsense...
I would like someone of you ride a Crosstourer 1200 to understand what I'm sayin'

srt8-in-largo
10-14-2014, 12:05 PM
You mean DCT... dual clutch? It's already here in higher end cars.

That's a nice EVOLUTIONARY change, but what's the next REVOLUTIONARY change? This whole business of using gears and bopping the engine in and out of it's power band is inefficient.

Hornblower
10-14-2014, 12:32 PM
You mean DCT... dual clutch? It's already here in higher end cars.

That's a nice EVOLUTIONARY change, but what's the next REVOLUTIONARY change? This whole business of using gears and bopping the engine in and out of it's power band is inefficient.

Not only in higher end cars anymore...I have DSG with DCT in my 2012 VW GTI. This is no automatic "slush box" and you can think of it as an electronically-shifted manual transmission. And, you're right, it's a fantastic transmission that shifts better than I could shift manually. I can either let it do everything automatically (in either drive or sport mode) or I can paddle-shift it. Imagine an F6B with paddle-shifting and no clutch or gear shifter to worry about :yikes: If it didn't add too much weight or take up too much room, I could get very excited about that. :yes:

Darren
10-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Please let them get rid of the linked brakes. Don't mind the front applying the back, but the back applying the front is dangerous in many circumstances.

opas ride
10-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Please let them get rid of the linked brakes. Don't mind the front applying the back, but the back applying the front is dangerous in many circumstances.

Maybe your post has some personal opinions or experience, but Honda has built this linked-brake system for 15 years without any issues that I am aware of...Once used to the feel, it works fine for me...Have had a few bikes with ABS and did not notice much difference in how the bike stopped or handled...Maybe it bothers some and not others....Some are really "hung-up" on ABS, others don't much care...I suppose the day is coming when all bikes, large or small will have ABS options.....

Darren
10-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Maybe your post has some personal opinions or experience, but Honda has built this linked-brake system for 15 years without any issues that I am aware of...Once used to the feel, it works fine for me...Have had a few bikes with ABS and did not notice much difference in how the bike stopped or handled...Maybe it bothers some and not others....Some are really "hung-up" on ABS, others don't much care...I suppose the day is coming when all bikes, large or small will have ABS options.....

There are road conditions, such as ice, gravel, wet leaves and oil spills (all of which I've come across) where the use of the rear brake alone is required to slow down, any application of front brake could cause an accident.

Personally I don't care about the ABS just would like the option to apply rear brake only

slather1
10-14-2014, 04:43 PM
The future is DTC transmission... A sixth traditional gear is a nonsense...
I would like someone of you ride a Crosstourer 1200 to understand what I'm sayin'

I would like to ride a Crosstourer 1200!!!

pitcherd
10-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Well there is a simple fix to buying Fly-By-Wire. Look on Craig's List and get you a 1989 Aspencade. :icon_lol:
I am not really concerned with issues with new technology at this point. I am very Happy with my 2013 and hope that by 2016 or 2017 the F6B will have more comforts that I want.

fl1madmax
10-14-2014, 07:55 PM

gas mileage would be vastly improved and wear and tear on motor !!!!! any body agree ?

opas ride
10-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Who knows as yet...Perhaps a 6th gear may come in the 2016 GW??? I am fairly sure Honda has tested/considered this transmission update, but then again, many riders do not see the need...including me....I like the power delivery the way it is....JMHO

Big Jay
10-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Well there is a simple fix to buying Fly-By-Wire. Look on Craig's List and get you a 1989 Aspencade. :icon_lol:
I am not really concerned with issues with new technology at this point. I am very Happy with my 2013 and hope that by 2016 or 2017 the F6B will have more comforts that I want.

2013 F6B has throttle cable not fly by wire , one reason why I love my f6b. :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
10-14-2014, 09:27 PM

I've got an 86 Aspencade sitting here with liked brakes. Longer than 15 years.:shhh:

Kurare79
10-15-2014, 12:55 AM
The 2015 F6B not only has a speed control, it also comes with a reverse gear (at least the european model).

bigbird
10-15-2014, 01:07 PM
The 2015 F6B not only has a speed control, it also comes with a reverse gear (at least the european model).

Must be because Europeans are not as physically tough as N. Americans to push their 'B's backwards. :stirthepot:

That being said, I would sure take an electric reverse over a cruise control on mine. It's a bitch getting mine backwards into my garage up the sloped driveway.

slather1
10-15-2014, 02:31 PM
I would take reverse but would rather have cruise and ABS.

Kurare79
10-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Must be because Europeans are not as physically tough as N. Americans to push their 'B's backwards. :stirthepot:

Yes, that's right. It needs about three average Europeans to build one American :lolup:

bigbird
10-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes, that's right. It needs about three average Europeans to build one American :lolup:

Great come-back!
And I noticed you targeted Americans, not Canadians.

Kurare79
10-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Great come-back!
And I noticed you targeted Americans, not Canadians.

Yeah, we are making a round trip next year in Canada in May... ️and i want to pass customs without problems ;-)

Scotrod
10-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Now Karim,,,

I was thinking Europeans were given reverse as Honda had seen the roads you had travelled, including the off-road 'mud run' you made with the 6,,,

(Ya know, a little biscuits and gravy every now and then wouldn't hurt you folks!!! :crackup:)

Kurare79
10-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Hahahahaha! 😆😆😆 Good one! I like you guys very much! Always a sense for humor - i love that!

bigbird
10-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, we are making a round trip next year in Canada in May... ️and i want to pass customs without problems ;-)

Will you be riding your F6B across Canada?
In reverse?

Ryo
10-16-2014, 01:38 AM

Nope,
Only cruise control in Europe for 2015... And side stand only.

Ryo
10-16-2014, 01:52 AM
I'm a short legged italian guy, then I feared the wide saddle and the large tank of Crosstourer 1200DTC, then I decided to buy a F6b, but I want to tell you Crosstourer had ALL THE STUFF you want to find in a motorcycle...AND MORE...and all is on sale on the stock package from your dealer...no need to search on Kuryakin or also...
And the DOUBLE CLUTCH is f**kin' magic!!!
Every kind of transmission except DTC is OBSOLETE!

Kurare79
10-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Nope,
Only cruise control in Europe for 2015... And side stand only.

I don't know where you get your Information, but i have several resources that state that there will be a reverse gear in the 2015 F6B.

Use Google Translate:
Official Honda Press Austria: http://www.honda.at/news/common_news_84881.php
http://m.pressebox.de/boxid/699650
http://www.bikerszene.de/magazin/news/Jubilaeumsmodell_Honda_Gold_Wing_F6B-5222939-1.html

They all say the same thing:
- Reverse Gear
- Speed Control
- Self Cancelling Signal Lights

Ryo
10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Well, I haven't heard nothing about reverse for Italian market...
Then I supposed in whole Europe reverse wasn't available.
My fault , sorry

Ryo
10-16-2014, 07:37 AM
You was right Pal,

http://www.motorbox.com/moto/honda-gold-wing-f6b-2015#.VD-7_ktH6SE

NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM,
CRUISE CONTROL
REVERSE GEAR.

I'm a little bit angry... My Black one is an OLD bike now...

Kurare79
10-16-2014, 07:58 AM
@Ryo: No problem! I forgive you, because your country delivers good food and vine; has beautiful cities, Ducati, Alfa Romeo ️and heavenly women :yes: Have a nice day!