PDA

View Full Version : RAM Mount X-Grip--Be Careful

4bobo
10-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I purchase the RAM Mount X-Grip IV for my iPhone 6 Plus.

It held my phone until the first bump in the road and the phone flew out.

I was only going 20 so I was able to catch it and hold it until I could safely stop.

Open to mounting suggestions.

Thanks!

GiddyupF6B
10-13-2014, 08:33 PM
I had one, it dropped my droid on the first trip 2 minutes into the ride.....my phone was destroyed. My friend has one on his Wing and has used it for 2 years trouble free. .I don't get it? I bought the one that worked with my phone model and did everything as instructed...not sure why it didn't work for me.

bobbyf6b
10-13-2014, 08:41 PM
A friend of mine got the new iPhone 6 so he gave me his 5 cover and mount from http://www.quadlockcase.com/index/

I really like the system but haven't found a good spot to mount it on the F6B. I put the bike mount on my Harley because of the round bars. The bike mount is spring loaded so it holds on tight. I got some stick on mounts but haven't decided where to put one on the F6B.

Another system is http://www.rokform.com/

Another friend uses this one on his mountain bike and likes it.

Spanky
10-13-2014, 10:09 PM
I use the x grip with otter box defender case for my s4. Never been a problem.

Steve 0080
10-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Me too no issues for years !!! See...if maybe there is some type of coating on the rubber "holders"...clean with alcohol and test?????

jimsol1
10-14-2014, 02:40 AM
I bought one at Americade this year for my droid maxx, yup, first bump shook it loose, put phone in otterbox defender case thinking rubber feet on rubber case would = better grip, nope , first bump slips out. I can hold mount w/ phone in my hand and swing it around and it holds, but a bump on bike makes it fail.

jaygollner
10-14-2014, 06:05 AM
I tried that mount with a Magellan 7" GPS within a 1/2 mile of my house it came out, maybe it's a quality control issue.

F6B-RICH
10-14-2014, 06:54 AM
I have had no problems also.Works great for my phones.I use the x-grip universal model .batman-smilie.

VP8
10-14-2014, 11:27 AM
My X-Grip mount failed too... after I hit a bump on the freeway, my Droid MAXX came loose and dropped on to the freeway... long gone. Now I just use a dedicated Garmin 660 mount and use my Garmin when needed.

Maybe it is a quality control issue... but I've read the larger the phone, the higher probability the phone will come loose. I have two riding buddies who also use the X-mount for the smaller iPhone and a Samsung galaxy S....and they have had no issues.

I've thought about maybe placing a rubber band or something around the x-grip while the phone was mounted to prevent the x-grip to move and dislodge the phone.

crankshaft40
10-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Same problem with mine, first bump and out it came. (galaxy note 3) I just use a rubber band to tether it to the mount now.

Texas TC
10-14-2014, 09:26 PM
I bought one. Did not trust it from the time I got it. I found a fully enclosed, water resistant one on Amazon and trust it fully. I did a 2200 miles trip with the enclosed phone holder and never had a problem. Just one of those sunk fund items that looked good but not functional.

MarcPW
10-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the tip, my X-Grip is already on the way, I'll make sure to test/secure my phone before I go for a ride. :039:

mielelaw
10-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Friend has on his Wing. Fell off twice. Now uses velcro on mount with no problems.

Texas TC
10-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I decided to try my X mount in my motor home on my way to Arizona this week. The X brace held fine but my suction cup mount would not stay attached to the side window. Grrrr. I must be destined not to use this thing.

53driver
10-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice rig!

CheckpointChcky
10-18-2014, 08:18 PM
The one I had failed too. The grip simply does not have enough tension to hold the devices in place.

DaWadd
10-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I use the X grip on my Samsung S3 with no problems. The phone is in an OtterBox case if that makes any difference.

Steve 0080
10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
At the Expo today I met w/ Dan Kim who advised that the phone holder should not have failed unless, someone used the BIG one to hold a small phone... Feel free to PX or EML...

4bobo
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
At the Expo today I met w/ Dan Kim who advised that the phone holder should not have failed unless, someone used the BIG one to hold a small phone... Feel free to PX or EML...

Thank you for the research--I used my iPhone 6 Plus on X-grip mount. I doubt the "phone was too small" will come into play but I will follow up.
Thanks again!

Fla_rider
10-19-2014, 06:26 PM
I have used the x-grip on several phones. I believe the secret is the phone case, a good case like defender or body glove, should hold it fine. Occasionally one x arm hits the volume buttons but it's nothing to adjust it. Make sure you push all four sides below the x grip fingers. :icon_mrgreen:

Steve 0080
10-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Thank you for the research--I used my iPhone 6 Plus on X-grip mount. I doubt the "phone was too small" will come into play but I will follow up.
Thanks again!

Sorry not what I meant... Dan said using a Large holder for a small phone would cause and issue... he also stated that the item would need to be pushed flush to the unit as well....EML him !!!