PDA

View Full Version : Kuryakyn Heal Toe Shifter... had to go

srt8-in-largo
10-13-2014, 09:11 PM
I used this shifter for several thousand miles... and I really wanted to like it, but it began to severely affect my shifting. I'm sure much of this has to do with my driving style which is EXTREMELY aggressive and when I shift, I shift... fast and immediate would be a way to describe it.

The Kury shifter is a nicely made piece, very strong and sturdy, but I think this is part of the problem. It's quite heavy and there's too much mass being levered off the tranny arm... in my layman opinion... and I'm discovering the tranny arm is a bit too sensitive to work well with it. Further, there's a bit of slop in the linkage and I'm not quite sure how this affects things, if at all, but slop is not a good thing any way you slice it. Frankly I doubt if this slop is better or worse than any other heal-toe shifter out there; it's just the nature of the beast.

When I first got the 6 and installed this, it seemed to work fine. But after getting to know the bike and push it hard, the lack of precision in the heal-toe shifter appears to be problematic... for me anyway, for my driving style. I'd note, however, that I'm no pro... most of my shifts can probably be called clunky and sloppy by someone who can shift well. If I were better at pre-loading and if my coordination was better, maybe I wouldn't be having these problems but I'm not at that point in time of being better.

Below are the issues that I experienced with my heal-toe shifter. I've since removed it and am currently monitoring these issues; so far, much better.

1. 1st to 2nd missed shifts.
This happens frequently on hole-shots... quick acceleration from a standing stop. Looking for 2nd gear but finding neutral far too often to deal with.

2. Engaging neutral.
More times than not this turned into a ping-pong match where I'd skip through neutral several times before actually finding it. I think the mass of the shifter exacerbated this problem.

3. Ghost shift in the upper gears.
I had a gear change on at least one occasion that I feel was related to an "incomplete" shift... or a "soft" shift... it felt as if the shift did not result in a firm engagement which subsequently led to the tranny dropping into another gear by itself. I don't know if that makes physical sense but that's what it felt like.

RcBtx1999
10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
I used this shifter for several thousand miles... and I really wanted to like it, but it began to severely affect my shifting. I'm sure much of this has to do with my driving style which is EXTREMELY aggressive and when I shift, I shift... fast and immediate would be a way to describe it.

The Kury shifter is a nicely made piece, very strong and sturdy, but I think this is part of the problem. It's quite heavy and there's too much mass being levered off the tranny arm... in my layman opinion... and I'm discovering the tranny arm is a bit too sensitive to work well with it. Further, there's a bit of slop in the linkage and I'm not quite sure how this affects things, if at all, but slop is not a good thing any way you slice it. Frankly I doubt if this slop is better or worse than any other heal-toe shifter out there; it's just the nature of the beast.

When I first got the 6 and installed this, it seemed to work fine. But after getting to know the bike and push it hard, the lack of precision in the heal-toe shifter appears to be problematic... for me anyway, for my driving style. I'd note, however, that I'm no pro... most of my shifts can probably be called clunky and sloppy by someone who can shift well. If I were better at pre-loading and if my coordination was better, maybe I wouldn't be having these problems but I'm not at that point in time of being better.

Below are the issues that I experienced with my heal-toe shifter. I've since removed it and am currently monitoring these issues; so far, much better.

1. 1st to 2nd missed shifts.
This happens frequently on hole-shots... quick acceleration from a standing stop. Looking for 2nd gear but finding neutral far too often to deal with.

2. Engaging neutral.
More times than not this turned into a ping-pong match where I'd skip through neutral several times before actually finding it. I think the mass of the shifter exacerbated this problem.

3. Ghost shift in the upper gears.
I had a gear change on at least one occasion that I feel was related to an "incomplete" shift... or a "soft" shift... it felt as if the shift did not result in a firm engagement which subsequently led to the tranny dropping into another gear by itself. I don't know if that makes physical sense but that's what it felt like.

Folks who ride Goldwings have tranny problems when they install the heel toe shifter and big floorboards. The weight of the shifter stress the tranny and sometimes riders have a tendency with the larger floorboards to rest part of the foot against or on some of the linkage. Ergo the problem.

LX2
10-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Folks who ride Goldwings have tranny problems when they install the heel toe shifter and big floorboards. The weight of the shifter stress the tranny and sometimes riders have a tendency with the larger floorboards to rest part of the foot against or on some of the linkage. Ergo the problem.

I rode a couple Valkyries from 97 thru 11 with GW boards and Rattlebars heel/toe shifters, Kuryakyn setup 11 thru 13 on a GL 1800 and now on a F6B with no issues. I bet what you say about the tendency of resting the foot could be the culprit.

LL

Scotrod
10-14-2014, 12:03 PM
If you want to shift like a racer, use what the racers use, not H/T's and/or floorboards.

This would also include MC-specific "Sport" type shoes / boots, not Steel-Toes or big old waffle-stomper boots,,,

The 6 / Wing is probably the most 'finicky' shifting bike I've had,,, Shifting 'input' has to be more precise than others,,,

I had the Kury for a while,, Loved the heel part, but didn't like the toe,,, Now running OEM shifter and mini-boards tilted front-down

Once in a blue moon, when I get lazy, I'll end up with a '3/4 shift',,,, Neutral has not been a problem,,,

As always, YMMY

bigbird
10-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Now running OEM shifter and mini-boards tilted front-down

Same setup I use.

With my Alpinestars S-MX1 size 12.5 boots, shifting is sure and secure. If anyone is having trouble with big heavy boots and shifting, try these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/40951/i/alpinestars-s-mx-1-boots

I got rid of my old size 13 Icon Field Armour Chukka boots. They were way too big and clunky to fit under the shifter.

srt8-in-largo
10-15-2014, 06:31 PM
I wonder if a couple of design changes would make it work better.

Aluminum instead of steel... and maybe a direct attachment to the tranny arm.

Scotrod
10-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Keep it (OEM unit) clean and greased up good. :icon_wink:

JBnAZ
10-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I use the stock shifter with stock pegs with smaller sport boots and I ride aggressively. I experience the same set of symptoms as described in the first post. If I get sloppy (tired) or have ridden many miles my bike exhibits the same issues with shifting. I am not convinced it's the heel toe shifter, could be, but may be we are pushing the limits of the tranny capability.

srt8-in-largo
10-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Keep it (OEM unit) clean and greased up good. :icon_wink:

:yes: I'll add this as a write-in on my maintenance table.

I use the stock shifter with stock pegs with smaller sport boots and I ride aggressively. I experience the same set of symptoms as described in the first post. If I get sloppy (tired) or have ridden many miles my bike exhibits the same issues with shifting. I am not convinced it's the heel toe shifter, could be, but may be we are pushing the limits of the tranny capability.

Well I hope I'm not fooling myself somehow. After removing it, the tranny is "dropping" into gears much cleaner and so far no more ghost shifts. Finding 2nd is still finicky, and I've missed it a time or two but MUCH less than with the H-T shifter.

srt8-in-largo
10-16-2014, 10:55 PM
I think I know what you mean about shifting when tired... the ol foot just doesn't have the energy for a firm press :icon_biggrin:

With the H-T shifter, each and every shift REQUIRED a firm and full press to get a clean shift.

After removing it and only using the tranny arm with your toe, a shift only requires a blip of the lever and the gears drop together seemingly all by themselves. For me anyway, there's a night and day difference.

Mustangjake
10-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Mine is laying in the garage! Mine moved the peg out an I was always dragging in the left turns.
Right beside the mini boards.

Mustangjake
10-29-2014, 08:02 PM
I put the mini boards back on!! I'm sick of the led position

stepbill
10-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Curious about your lean angle. I have the floor boards and h/t shifter and was always dragging the boards in the turns. Took the boards off and put the stock pegs back on and have yet to drag :icon_redface:. Are you dragging your stock pegs in the turns?

srt8-in-largo
03-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Not sure who that's directed at Bill, but I drag my OEM pegs; I just about have the bolt head on the bottom worn off :icon_biggrin:

To update my HT shifter experience, shortly after my original post I decided my problems were rider error and decided to give the shifter another shot. After figuring out that I need to pay more attention to shifting, I've been using it successfully for the past several months... to the point of even recommending it to a few others.

:shock::shock::shock:

Well, I wish I could take back everyone of those recommendations!

A few days ago my bike started dropping out of 2nd and 3rd gear!!!!!!! This happened multiple times. Sometimes under hard load... about midway of climbing through the RPM's in 2nd, the bike would plop into neutral and instead of accelerating I'd be coasting and revving a free spinning engine! Other times the bike would fall out of 2nd gear like this under light load.

Yesterday I removed the HT shifter (again!) and am once again monitoring the situation. After a day or so with the OEM shifter I have not had a gear flop.

I'm fed up with this POS and sending it straight to the round file. This gear dropping thing has me so flustered that I won't bother listing it for sale or give it to anyone; I don't want anyone else going through these issues.

If I happened to suggest trying a heal-toe shifter to you, please disregard that; not recommended.

srt8-in-largo
03-30-2015, 10:48 PM

I saw people suggest that but never saw anything definitive. GoldwingGreg is VERY adamant that the HT shifter doesn't harm the tranny, and it was his writings that convinced me to give it a shot.

At this point idk what to think. I know Greg has a ton of very in-depth mechanical experience on the Gl1800, but my tranny sure doesn't like the shifter.

taxfree4
03-31-2015, 04:45 AM
Here's a thought, after reading your post it struck me that when I had my Harley Touring bikes, which came stock with floorboards and heel toe shifters, I used to remove the heel part, they came in 2 pieces. The reason was having a size 12 boot, especially with a defined heel which sometimes protruded under the shifters, I would just squeeze inside that space. I found that same things were happening to me till I removed the heel part. Seems that because my left foot was in such a tight space I would inadvertently be hitting the shifter and not even know it. I don't know if the Kury comes in 2 pieces but if it does try it, you'll still wind up with a nice I floorboard.

Jimmytee
03-31-2015, 05:11 AM
Curious about your lean angle. I have the floor boards and h/t shifter and was always dragging the boards in the turns. Took the boards off and put the stock pegs back on and have yet to drag :icon_redface:. Are you dragging your stock pegs in the turns?

I drag my stock pegs in the turns.:icon_cool: That is one reason I won't go to floor boards.

srt8-in-largo
03-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the thought, Tax, but this HT is one piece and I've never ridden on the heal part. I press down on the toe part when downshifting, and I press down on the heal part when upshifting; otherwise my foot never touches the thing.

The GL1800 tranny is one of the most finicky in the industry already... and from what I see this shifter just makes that worse. :no::no::no:

srt8-in-largo
03-31-2015, 12:37 PM
I drag my stock pegs in the turns.:icon_cool: That is one reason I won't go to floor boards.

Yeah Jimmy! Ride like you mean it :icon_biggrin:

taxfree4
03-31-2015, 07:32 PM
If anyone wants to sell their HT shifter with the floor boards if they're just laying around PM me. I'm not an agressive driver or shifter plus I'll lop that heel shifter off toot sweet. I'm just used to the big boards and I need that shifter up higher.

vstar09
03-31-2015, 08:18 PM
My Vstar had a heel toe shifter that I loved....On the F6 liking the toe shifter,,,took awhile to get used to but now that its cool...reminds me of the old days...the 750 had one...

Hardrock
04-01-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't know about the kury H/T, but my Showchrome H/T had similar issues. What I discovered was that on mine the pivot bushing was too tight of a fit, and the arms were not freely swinging. I had to take the bushing out and lightly sand some of the material off. Then oiled the snot out of it.

Mine was not the only one like that either, got some pm's from other owners that theirs were like that too.

bikeng
06-29-2015, 07:44 PM
I have to buy longer arms for my Harley heel toes......I wouldn't buy this Kuryakyn with out the ability to lengthen. Also, they are too bulky for this bike. I wanted to buy them, but after doing my research...no way

dickiedeals
06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
I have the Kuryakyn Heal toe shift with running boards and love them. No shifting issues and only touched them to the pavement a couple times while riding the Dragon with BigDog and Hornblower. Actually The whole Franklin Rally group but we were way out ahead. I would recommend them to those used to heal toe as I'm.(Rode HD for 14 years heal-toe). They do spread your legs a bit while sitting in traffic etc, but nothing you can't get use to...................Dickie

troypennock
06-30-2015, 01:58 PM
I do not shift aggressively most of the time and do not have a problem when I do. I have a Kury heel-toe on my GL18A3, GL18BD, and GL18CA.14973
The powder coated peddles for my B & C.