PDA

View Full Version : Love them West Texas Enduro's

hiflyer
10-13-2014, 10:29 PM
In the late 1980's me and 7 other guys formed the "Top O Texas Dirt Riders" club. We leased 10,000 acres, later adding another 10,000, and began the task of starting an enduro race. Named the Caprock Canyon Enduro, after the Caprock Canyon State Park. The canyon is an extention of the Palo Duro Canyon, the largest in the country outside of the Grand Canyon. Some mighty rough country. This race was on two circuits and later was the site of a national event. When it became too much for our little club to handle, it was handed off to a larger club and has been run every year since. Alternating between wide open running the rim, and "technical" down in the canyon sections this event is a challenge to even the factory big boys. Our events were in the 120 mile range.
Check out this video of a rim running section, watch the start then skip to about 1.40 as this rider gets into his rhythm. I won the season championship in the open class during this time. This makes me want to ride the over 50 class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlC1eQYCmxw

Clutch
10-14-2014, 07:30 AM
That looks like so much fun! Never done anything like that. I don't think I'd be able to "find" the trail ... I kept losing it in the video. Kudos to you for your success in it!

GNW
10-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks for putting that one on.
Memories from the past for me. I was convinced by the Yamaha dealer (Nub Stovall) in 1986 that I would be good at it. Yamaha XT550 for the first one and without a doubt it was to heavy for this cowboy.
Ran two more on a Yamaha IT200 and without a doubt I was the problem.
It was fun though !!
I have a lot of respect for Enduro riders !!

Westernbiker
10-14-2014, 10:03 AM
WOW! Brought back allot of memories!
At the young age of 8 I got my first dirt bike and was racing motocross at 10. It wasn't until I was in my early 40's that I rode my first endure/cross country race all of 135 miles. I did make it to the finish line but I was DEAD tired! LMAO! I can still remember barely being able to get off my bike let alone stand and walk. LOL! I did a couple more of those before I decided to hang it up and just desert ride for pleasure.