PDA

View Full Version : SpeedoHealer install?

bigbird
10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Anyone install a SpeedoHealer in their 'B ?

I'm putting one in shortly, as my speedo reads about 6.5% high. and am looking for ideas where to mount the control box and max speed button. There's lots of ideas for the GL1800, but nothing out there for the 'B yet.

Steve 0080
10-13-2014, 11:07 PM
WOW!!! With the stock tires my bike was off by 1/4 MPH....6.5% is a lot !!!!! Yea I know the speedo is driven off the tranny....

Jimmytee
10-14-2014, 03:25 AM
WOW!!! With the stock tires my bike was off by 1/4 MPH....6.5% is a lot !!!!! Yea I know the speedo is driven off the tranny....

I was actually surprised. When I checked mine against the GPS at above 70 mph, mine seemed to be dead on. Granted, I'm looking at an analog speedometer , not sure how you calculated that 1/4 mph :icon_rolleyes:

bigbird
10-14-2014, 08:35 AM
My 2009 Silverwing was off by exactly the same amount. I wonder if it's a metric conversion thing for the Canadian models. Cruising down the highway at 100 kph indicated, and only doing 94 kph actual , is a PITA. I got tired of having to do constant mental calculations to at least drive at the speed limit.

In thinking about the location of the SpeedoHealer box, the lockable bin above the gas filler looks promising. I never use it anyway. I just keep that silly helmet cable in there.

F6BPDX
10-15-2014, 11:38 AM
My 2009 Silverwing was off by exactly the same amount. I wonder if it's a metric conversion thing for the Canadian models. Cruising down the highway at 100 kph indicated, and only doing 94 kph actual , is a PITA. I got tired of having to do constant mental calculations to at least drive at the speed limit.

In thinking about the location of the SpeedoHealer box, the lockable bin above the gas filler looks promising. I never use it anyway. I just keep that silly helmet cable in there.

Where are you coming up with your actual? If it is from a GPS, did you use the same GPS on both bikes? General consensus is these bikes are pretty dead on, and to have it be exactly the same as your last bike is weird.

GONRDN
10-15-2014, 11:44 AM
My bikes speedo is dead on with my Garmin GPS.

bigbird
10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Where are you coming up with your actual? If it is from a GPS, did you use the same GPS on both bikes? General consensus is these bikes are pretty dead on, and to have it be exactly the same as your last bike is weird.

Yes, same GPS on both bikes. I would like to know if any other Canadian F6B's are out by the same amount (6% low)

GiddyupF6B
10-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Mine is pretty dead on to my GPS...

zeus661
10-15-2014, 12:35 PM
My F6B is dead on, but my Valkyrie was about 5MPH high.

bigbird
10-15-2014, 01:05 PM
There's another Canadian owner on here I know.
DeWadd, is your speedo out as much as mine?

F6BPDX
10-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Yes, same GPS on both bikes. I would like to know if any other Canadian F6B's are out by the same amount (6% low)

Will be interesting to see what the other Canadians say, but to me I would be suspect of my GPS at this point.

bigbird
10-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Will be interesting to see what the other Canadians say, but to me I would be suspect of my GPS at this point.

It's not the GPS.
In riding with a buddy who has a new H-D, and who claims his speedo is spot on, his 100 kph saw 108kph on my speedometer.
The same GPS in my car is also spot on.

F6BPDX
10-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Mine matched both my Garmin 665 and every police speed box I have ever passed. :shrug:

FJR919
10-15-2014, 04:37 PM
My speedometer is dead even with the GPS. Tested it at different speeds up to 85 mph.

DaWadd
10-15-2014, 05:18 PM
At 100 kph on the speedo my gps says 95 kph. I just adjust in my head.:shrug:

bigbird
10-15-2014, 05:21 PM
At 100 kph on the speedo my gps says 95 kph. I just adjust in my head.:shrug:

Based on two results, I'll say it's a Canadian thing.

I've got too much going on in my head to adjust any more. I'll let the SpeedoHealer do the thinking for me.

srt8-in-largo
10-15-2014, 05:40 PM
That's either quite a coincidence, or something truly awry with the hoser bikes :icon_biggrin:

Ay?

bigbird
10-15-2014, 06:25 PM
That's either quite a coincidence, or something truly awry with the hoser bikes :icon_biggrin:

Ay?

My bike has EH-BS, eh, and a wonky speedo.

Maybe they are mutually inclusive?

Now we need to check with our Ozzie and Euro friends to see if their metric speedos also read low.

BubbaJePH
10-15-2014, 06:36 PM
My 2006 1300R VTX was off. Riding 45 mph, people were always on my butt. Well, every speed unless I thought I was speeding. My GPS showed what speed I was actually doing. I purchased the Speed O Healer. Easy to install. It connects plug & play. It's cable has a little digital box and a set button. By their website, you type in the information and it gives you a number to dial in. Now I am on the money. Also, the Odometer does not rack up miles faster than I am traveling them anymore. I was able to do my brother's 1300C in under 15 minutes in the parking lot of his work.

DaWadd
10-16-2014, 08:56 AM
My Honda 750 and 1300 were off about the same.

F6BPDX
10-16-2014, 12:32 PM
You just have to crack open the speedo and clean out all that maple syrup and politeness that gets gummed up in there and then you will be back to normal. :duck:

Denisr
10-16-2014, 05:34 PM
My speedo shows 105km/h when the zumo is showing 100km/h.

bigbird
10-16-2014, 06:03 PM
My speedo shows 105km/h when the zumo is showing 100km/h.

I had to Google Palmerston, ACT.
I had never heard of ACT.
I learned something today: Australian Capital Territory

mtcgun
10-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Mine is dead on to my GPS

Watchdog
10-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Even 6%. At 100 your off by 6 mph. No big deal. Who drives the speed limit anyway.so around town you would be off by maybe 1 mph.

bigbird
10-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Even 6%. At 100 your off by 6 mph. No big deal. Who drives the speed limit anyway.so around town you would be off by maybe 1 mph.

I'm off -6%. At all speeds. I don't know why you focus on 100 mph.

It is a big deal.

At 100 kph indicated, which is our typical highway speed limit, I'm doing 94 actual. I don't like cagers crawling up my butt. To compensate I must do at least 108 indicated. Again, a PITA.

SpeedoHealer will make it all go away.

Watchdog
10-22-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm off -6%. At all speeds. I don't know why you focus on 100 mph.

It is a big deal.

At 100 kph indicated, which is our typical highway speed limit, I'm doing 94 actual. I don't like cagers crawling up my butt. To compensate I must do at least 108 indicated. Again, a PITA.

SpeedoHealer will make it all go away.

How will speedo healer make it go away? In the U.S. if you try to drive the speed limit anywhere they will run over you. And 6% is nothing when the cagers are driving anywhere from 25 to 30 mph over the limit. You go with the flow or expect them to be up your butt. These people are flying on the highways, back roads and even in town. I wasn't focusing on 100 ,it was just a comparison. Don't know kph. At 100, it's 6 mph, at 50 it's 3 mph no big deal.

srt8-in-largo
10-22-2014, 07:36 PM
It's not a HUGE error... not a HUGE deal... it COULD be ignored.

But why ignore it if there's a way to fix it and therefore know your precise speed... whether you're going the limit... or 30 over... with or without traffic.

bigbird
10-22-2014, 08:38 PM
At 100, it's 6 mph, at 50 it's 3 mph no big deal.

Where do you get that from? I'll put it in metric for you, as your backwards country is one of only two on Earth that are not metric.
At 50 kph (30 mph for the Luddites) it's out 5 kph. At 100 kph (62.5 mph) it's out 6 kph. Most of our country has a speed limit of 100 kph.
At 120 kph (75 mph) , it's still out 6 kph. I don't know why you're fixated that the error is linear, because it's not.

Why am I concerned? Unlike the US, we do not have motorists typically running 25-30 mph over the limit. Our traffic speeds are heavily enforced. The penalties for speeding here are substantial. Going 20 kph (12 mph over the limit will net a $500 fine + 3 demerits on the driver's licence. Believe it or not, there are developed countries out there that believe in road safety. The SpeedoHealer corrects for the inaccuracy of the speedometer and odometer. I want my speedo and odo to read correctly. Why do you have such a tough time with that?

srt8-in-largo
10-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Don't get your feathers all ruffled :icon_biggrin:

You said earlier you were off -6% at all speeds... that's where the linearity came from.

srt8-in-largo
10-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Whats the other country not using metric... England?

bigbird
10-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Don't get your feathers all ruffled :icon_biggrin:

You said earlier you were off -6% at all speeds... that's where the linearity came from.
Sorry, my error, average of 6 kph. The calculator online from SpeedoHealer asks for the deviation specifically at 100 kph to come up with the correction factor of -6%. SpeedoHealer and all the Healtech electronics are made in Hungary. That's why it's all metric.

I should be getting the Speedohealer, and digital gear readout on Friday. I'll install them this weekend when I also change my turn signal flasher over to the electronic LED version. I have to remove/loosen the top shelter and display to get at the turn signal relay, remove the seat to get at the DLC for the gear indicator, and get access to the VSS connector just rearward of the right radiator for the SpeedoHealer. It shouldn't take longer than 1 hour, I hope.

The 3 countries not on the metric system in the entire world are Liberia, Myanmar, and the United States of America.
You keep good company!

srt8-in-largo
10-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Just call us the Three Stooges. We were serious back in the 1980's about going metric... yeah, real serious :icon_biggrin:

Well, blaze the trail with this Healtech stuff. I see myself getting their gear indicator... but I'm really interested in that "OBD" tool. I want to look at the engine control parameters (ignition timing, injector pulse width, etc)... but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Watchdog
10-23-2014, 04:30 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to start an argument. I live in the suburbs of NYC. And the speed limit pretty much everywhere around here is 30 mph, I do 40 and you still have people riding up your butt and on the nys thruway the limit is 65 and its like a racetrack. Again , I'm sorry.

bigbird
10-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to start an argument. I live in the suburbs of NYC. And the speed limit pretty much everywhere around here is 30 mph, I do 40 and you still have people riding up your butt and on the nys thruway the limit is 65 and its like a racetrack. Again , I'm sorry.

It's OK. We all learned something through this thread. That's the great benefit of belonging to a forum. I plan to take some pics of my 3 installs and provide descriptions so going forward other members will have a resource.

bigbird
10-23-2014, 06:36 AM
I see myself getting their gear indicator... but I'm really interested in that "OBD" tool. I want to look at the engine control parameters (ignition timing, injector pulse width, etc)... but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

The OBD tool will let you look at those parameters, but then what?
Can you flash the ECU?
Their FI Tuner Pro is not compatible with the Honda ECU. Would you be looking at a Power Commander?

DaWadd
10-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Just a note, even though my speedo is off 5 or 6% the odometer is spot on. I ve checked it numerous times. :icon_lol:

53driver
10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
For every 30 real miles, my ODO ticks 31 miles.
Dont know if that's good, bad, or average.

Steve

srt8-in-largo
10-23-2014, 06:47 PM
The OBD tool will let you look at those parameters, but then what?
Can you flash the ECU?
Their FI Tuner Pro is not compatible with the Honda ECU. Would you be looking at a Power Commander?

Nice... do you have the OBD tool? How did you figure out those parameters are available? What others are available?

I don't know if the ECU can be flashed or not. My (limited) understanding is that it cannot be, however, Guhl Motors appears to be selling a reflashed ECU that richens the fuel mixture for guys that have The Stumble... so idk. But when I hear "reflash", to me that means that the maps have been altered and then re-written to the ECU. I don't know if Guhl is actually doing this, or using some trick to alter the injector pulse width.

I'd love to put a small turbo on my bike. There's a guy somewhere who put one on his GL1800 and it mounted VERY cleanly and hidden behind the license plate. I don't recall what he did for tuning, but I'd want to have full tuning capability and at this point I think that means going to an aftermarket ECU.

Me asking about the OBD tool is just me trying to understand the bike... whats available... whats not available... finding a decent datalogging tool... etc.

I'm a tinkerer... I enjoy automotive electronics... I enjoy powerful vehicles. I put a twin-screw supercharger on my Chrysler 300 SRT8 and at 8psi of boost it pushes about 600 hp to the crank. My car is fully instrumented to help me monitor the systems that will keep it from blowing up... in addition to a few more parameters that I watch and experiment with for future modifications.

I use a Diablosport Trinity to pull parameters from my car's OBDII port. I realize our bikes are not OBD compliant... but this is where I'd like to be... to have the ability to datalog, store, and replay.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GZpm8NCo7WI/UlmQ63COlXI/AAAAAAAAB9U/wyuAXduXzmk/s800/DSC00444_labeled.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m4PAJMPdx3A/UXYdxMLkGPI/AAAAAAAABGw/Ty5QWyfCTS8/s800/DSC00362.JPG

srt8-in-largo
10-23-2014, 06:50 PM

:yes:

srt8-in-largo
10-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Guhl is indeed reflashing the ECM. 2006+ ECM's can be flashed, pre-2006 cannot be.

bigbird
10-23-2014, 09:19 PM
First off, I'm a bit of a gearhead too, but with nowhere near the commitment or extra $ to commit as you have. I am a bit envious.

No, I don't have the Healtech OBD tool for the Honda, nor do I want or need one. I'm perfectly content with my engine, save for the cold start stumble. I can live with that. It sounds like the Guhl reflashing of your stock ECM is the way to go. I would want to first know exactly how the maps that they will reflash are different than Honda's stock maps, will the engine still operate in open and closed loop, how are any sensors affected, will the cat overheat from a richer open loop map, etc etc etc.

Keep us informed, as I'm sure others are also very interested in your findings.

bigbird
10-23-2014, 09:27 PM

I can't even fathom owning a 'B in NYC with that traffic and congestion. I detest taking my 'B downtown in my city of 750 000. I live 30 seconds from a major route that takes me out of the city and into the prairie or along the large river that flows north into Lake Winnipeg. The scenery along that river road drive is beautiful, traffic is very light, and I can wind out my 'B whenever I want. Today I did my 75 km route out of the city up and down both sides of the river. I saw maybe a dozen cars and another dozen bikes in that 1 hour ride. I saw 150 kph briefly on a large bridge that crosses the river, with no one around. And yes, I did check for any other vehicles around (police with their speed lasers) before opening her up for 30 s.

bigbird
10-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I got my Healtech digital gear indicator today, but the SpeedoHealer is still on order and hasn't been shipped yet by my online retailer. I hope to get the SoCalMotor LED bulb kit and flasher and gear indicator installed this weekend. We'll see how that goes. Big birthday party at our house Sunday (grandson turns 2), so bathrooms need cleaning, floors need vacuuming, you know the rest.

srt8-in-largo
10-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I'd love to see how you end up mounting your gear indicator. You may have seen these already, but here's a few pics I found on the web. Not sure who's bikes these are...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p8F0UBx7BIo/VEvnkdH6U7I/AAAAAAAACNA/yoKmsb3_52c/s800/healtech%2520-%2520gear%2520indicator%25201.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uKh_GGijA4w/VEvnkccMT2I/AAAAAAAACNI/z5th_oGCqFA/s800/healtech%2520-%2520gear%2520indicator%25202.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-IIf1BPeWOFA/VEvnkZ8B3jI/AAAAAAAACNE/QqP3iaDEjgc/s800/healtech%2520-%2520gear%2520indicator%25203.png

First off, I'm a bit of a gearhead too, but with nowhere near the commitment or extra $ to commit as you have. I am a bit envious.

No, I don't have the Healtech OBD tool for the Honda, nor do I want or need one. I'm perfectly content with my engine, save for the cold start stumble. I can live with that. It sounds like the Guhl reflashing of your stock ECM is the way to go. I would want to first know exactly how the maps that they will reflash are different than Honda's stock maps, will the engine still operate in open and closed loop, how are any sensors affected, will the cat overheat from a richer open loop map, etc etc etc.

Keep us informed, as I'm sure others are also very interested in your findings.

Haha, you're very kind, thank you. I agree too about wanting to know the details. I'll certainly post info if/when I make some progress here.

bigbird
10-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm going with the bottom pic; in the left speaker grill as close to the tach as possible.

srt8-in-largo
10-25-2014, 02:15 PM
I can't wait to hear your impressions after you get it installed.

I'm reading that this needs to have the clutch released before it indicates a gear...

bigbird
10-25-2014, 02:55 PM
I can't wait to hear your impressions after you get it installed.

I'm reading that this needs to have the clutch released before it indicates a gear...

Yes, if the clutch is in or the trans in neutral, a blank line is displayed.
As soon as the clutch is released enough to close the microswitch that kicks up the curb idle very slightly, then the gear indicator displays the correct gear. Apparently it happens quickly with hardly any delay.
I don't have time to do it today, not likely tomorrow either.
Our weather is deteriorating quickly, with cool weather next week:

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?mb-38&unit=i

As soon as it's done, I'll post pics and a description.

fxdl2051
10-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Air Soft makes a combo shift indicator/voltmeter that goes in the blank space on the right side of the fairing. I like the looks of it, but the price was over $200, so I'll have to wait on it. Putting the gear shift in the speaker grill is a great idea probably a less expensive proposition too.