PDA

View Full Version : Cracked front fender

JackB
10-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I installed a 7inch fender extension from Show Chrome. And a few days later the rear of the front fender was cracked in two places. I don't know how it cracked or if the fender extension had anything to do with it. I don't plan on put the extension back on. I glued and taped the fender back together until the new fender comes.

opas ride
10-15-2014, 06:41 PM
There have been some reports of this happening on the Goldwing forums..I understand it puts unnecessary stress on the lower part of the front fender causing it to crack...This is a major issue with Victory Vision's, as I had one for over (3) years, and the rear portion of the front fender would often split/crack on certain bikes due, supposedly, to a faulty design from the factory....I traded mine before any fender issues but know many who are still fighting with Victory.....

Hambly434
10-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Jack.
I also had my fender break using a extension. Im fairly certian it was caused by stones getting caught in the tire tread then getting pinched between the tire and the fender. I had fixed it the first time and it was good until I put on a new front tire. 2 trips down the gravel road I live on and it broke the fender and the side fender tabs that it mounts to.

Scotrod
10-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Mine broke the lower screw 'tabs' off my front rear fender, then the fender commenced to self-destruct.

Replaced busted fender. Extension now sits in my attic. So far, so good! :yes:

XKnight
10-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Clearly, there is a pattern forming.:shock: No fender extension equals no cracked fender. .batman-smilie.

imported_PA_F6Ber
10-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Add me to the list of broken rear fenders because of the Show Chrome Fender Extension. My Honda Dealer replaced the fender under warranty since they installed the extension before I bought the bike. I waited awhile (2-3 weeks) before I put the extension on the replacement fender. After reading this post I think I'll take it off again.

I really like the way it looks and I like the way it reduces the mess at the bottom of the bike when you run though water runoff but if I have to pay ~$150 every couple of months it's not worth it.

Carl

Hornblower
10-15-2014, 08:14 PM
The conclusion I've drawn concerning this is that the heavier fender extenders tend to crack the fender just as you have described. I use an extender myself but it's a lighter, plastic one called the Fenda Extenda made by Pyramid Plastics. So far, this has worked out just fine. I have friends running these and they have had no problems either. I do believe the extender is useful in protecting the front of the engine so I plan to keep using it.

srt8-in-largo
10-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Ah nuts. I wanted to get one for keeping mud off the engine and looks... but idk now.

Scotrod
10-15-2014, 08:48 PM
The conclusion I've drawn concerning this is that the heavier fender extenders tend to crack the fender just as you have described. I use an extender myself but it's a lighter, plastic one called the Fenda Extenda made by Pyramid Plastics. So far, this has worked out just fine. I have friends running these and they have had no problems either. I do believe the extender is useful in protecting the front of the engine so I plan to keep using it.

Got any pics?

Can't seem to find a pic of the GL version on the manufacturers website, Amazon, or,,,?

Deer Slayer
10-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Well Jack, here is my 2 cents. I had two Gl1800s with the same fender extension and no problems. One had a mileage of 167,000. How ever on my F6B, it appears some one at the factory over tightened the left side upper and broke a chunk out. the fender was replaced under warranty we found the broken edges were like polished where the broken piece had rubbed. The fender area had made a banging noise from day one. It was only lately that three of the lower bold areas broke. TO my knowledge there is no prohibition by Mother Honda on fender extensions. :cheers:

Hornblower
10-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Got any pics?

Can't seem to find a pic of the GL version on the manufacturers website, Amazon, or,,,?

I'll look for a pic but, in the meantime, here is the link to the correct part:

http://shop.fendaextenda.com/product.sc;jsessionid=52632356072A21E07A5EFA301B94 EA8E.m1plqscsfapp05?productId=133&categoryId=2

Steve 0080
10-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I have on also w/ no problems... mine had two sided tape and had to drill holes in the fender...w/ braces inside..... # A0451204....Wing Stuff..Oh yea it is Chromed !!!!!!

Hornblower
10-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Here's a pic for you:

If you're wondering, I used plastic rivets to secure it instead of screws.

kjelders
10-16-2014, 08:17 AM

I have the same, Fenda Extenda. It's been on the bike for over a year with no signs of cracks to the fender.

motoman
10-16-2014, 11:00 AM
The conclusion I've drawn concerning this is that the heavier fender extenders tend to crack the fender just as you have described. I use an extender myself but it's a lighter, plastic one called the Fenda Extenda made by Pyramid Plastics. So far, this has worked out just fine. I have friends running these and they have had no problems either.

+1

BIGLRY
10-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Here's a pic for you:

If you're wondering, I used plastic rivets to secure it instead of screws.Yep, I run the exact same one 'Fenda Extenda' by Pyramid plastics attached with the plastic push/pull rivets and double side 3M trim tape. I've had the extender on for over 5K miles with no problems and it does keep the front of the engine much cleaner than with out it.
:icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
10-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Good pics!

Not as 'scoopish' (?) as others,,,

:yes:

bigbird
10-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Can someone who owns a Fenda Extenda tell me the mounting process, i.e. what, if anything, comes with the Fenda for mounting?
Are the plastic rivets included?
Is there a template for drilling your fender?
There are no instructions or guides on the website.
Thanks.

I just found a bunch of youtube videos on the install. It sounds like the Fenda comes with the plastic rivets, and tape preinstalled to help during drilling.
I should have Googles BEFORE posting. Sorry.

CheesyRider
10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
I haven't installed a Fenda Extenda on a F6B, but I have put it on two other bikes. I just removed the fender, applied JB PlasticWeld (http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld/), and clamped. I never had any problems with the extender coming loose.

BIGLRY
10-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Can someone who owns a Fenda Extenda tell me the mounting process, i.e. what, if anything, comes with the Fenda for mounting?
Are the plastic rivets included?
Is there a template for drilling your fender?
There are no instructions or guides on the website.
Thanks.

I just found a bunch of youtube videos on the install. It sounds like the Fenda comes with the plastic rivets, and tape preinstalled to help during drilling.
I should have Googles BEFORE posting. Sorry.
My Fenda Extenda came with the double sided tape and four plastic push/pull plastic rivets. I pulled the fender off the bike and dry fitted the extend just to see how close it matched the profile of the fender which was darn near perfect. After cleaning the tire side of the fender of any dirt & contamination with an alcohol wipe, I used the supplied double sided tape to stick it all together.
I then re-installed fender with the Extenda taped in place to again check fit & clearance. Confident all was good, I removed the fender with the extenda in place and drilled the four holes and inserted the push/pull rivets then reinstalled the fender. There was no template for drilling supplied with my Extenda, but you do get to look at the inside and outside of the fender(it is in your hand) for logical placement of the rivets and where to drill.

Tip: I put a band of masking tape across the fender where I was going to drill the holes so I could mark them and to prevent any slippage of the drill that would scratch the paint on the fender, then after drilling I removed the masking tape before installing the four push/pull rivets.

Blotar
10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
I also had a fender extender, "Big Bike Parts" installed at the dealer before the bike was put on the market. I unsuspectingly purchased the bike only to find that when the fender broke it is not a factory part therefore not covered under warranty. With the custom paint and both side covers it is going to cost me more than $300.00
Needless to say that I am more than a little disappointed and the old fender extension will be put away.
Blotar:icon_frown:

bigbird
10-17-2014, 12:08 PM
My Fenda Extenda came with the double sided tape and four plastic push/pull plastic rivets. I pulled the fender off the bike and dry fitted the extend just to see how close it matched the profile of the fender which was darn near perfect. After cleaning the tire side of the fender of any dirt & contamination with an alcohol wipe, I used the supplied double sided tape to stick it all together.
I then re-installed fender with the Extenda taped in place to again check fit & clearance. Confident all was good, I removed the fender with the extenda in place and drilled the four holes and inserted the push/pull rivets then reinstalled the fender. There was no template for drilling supplied with my Extenda, but you do get to look at the inside and outside of the fender(it is in your hand) for logical placement of the rivets and where to drill.

Tip: I put a band of masking tape across the fender where I was going to drill the holes so I could mark them and to prevent any slippage of the drill that would scratch the paint on the fender, then after drilling I removed the masking tape before installing the four push/pull rivets.

Thank you very much, BIGLRY, just the kind of info that I was looking for. :yes::yes::yes:

Limoles
10-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I installed a 7inch fender extension from Show Chrome. And a few days later the rear of the front fender was cracked in two places. I don't know how it cracked or if the fender extension had anything to do with it. I don't plan on put the extension back on. I glued and taped the fender back together until the new fender comes.

Same happened to me . My message to all F6B owners . DO NOT INSTALL any extentions to such weak fender . Cost of new part and questionable benefit is obvious . Simply not worth it .

yellow rex
10-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Fenda Exenda and yes it is spell correctly will not crack your fender
check their web site and it is inexpensive.

outbound
02-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I have had the same experience with the show chrome extender catching rocks and splitting the fender, by the time I replace it, I'll be out at least 200 dollars, lovely.

thunder217
02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
This is one that I have also and have not had any problems with it cracking my fender. I have over 25K on mine now.

Hornblower
02-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Fenda Extenda :yes:, the way to go 'all/right'

BIGLRY
02-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Update, I posted in this thread 10/16/14 when I only had about 5K miles my Fenda Extenda, but now after a tad over 14K miles, some in hard rain, some on sloppy, muddy dirt roads and more than a few K on rough roads, the Fenda Extenda not only does what it is supposed to do very well...keep the front of the engine cleaner, but looks kind of sharp too(I was not sure I was going to like the look at first).:yes:
I do check the push pins for looseness and for any signs of cracks in the fender every time I clean my scoot and so far the front fender is as strong and perfict as the day I installed the Fenda Extenda to it.

IMO, One of the cheaper, but most effective mods I've done to my steel steed:301:

smokinjoe187
02-03-2015, 03:00 AM
+1
MINES AT 29 K
BITCH AINT CRACKED!!

outbound
02-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Online cycle parts.com will deliver a new OEM fender for a total of $156.00, less painfull than it might have been. I've dodged alot of bullets reading the threads here on this site, but didn't think I had to research something as lo-tech as a fender extension. Thanks for the reviews on the fenda extenda, sounds like a good alternative to the Show Chrome. I'm going to contact show chrome so they know their product is breaking fenders.

I think the problem is that the extension comes within 1/8 of an inch of the front tire at the leading edge... it started making ugly noises the first day I drove out of my gravel driveway.

willtill
09-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Just ordered a Fenda Extenda. Used to have one a long time ago on my DL650... and I expect it to work as good. :yes:

shooter
09-19-2015, 09:48 AM
I've had my Extenda on for a while now and no problems. I didn't drill any holes. Took the double sided tape off and used JB Weld epoxy made for plastic on it. It looks and works great. This winter I'm gonna pullmyfender back off and paint the Extends gloss black to match.

willtill
09-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Stroguy...? Painting the Fenda Extenda! I want to do that as well now; so it matches the matte silver finish of my F6B.

I believe the Fenda Extenda still comes in flat black?

Anyone know what comparable color at Pep Boys/Auto Zone/Wherever would match the 2015 matte silver finish?

Doing some research already; Color Rite and others are calling the paint Matte Bullet Metallic :icon_confused:

shooter
09-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm not gonna have paint matching issues. Basic Black.

shooter
09-19-2015, 12:21 PM
What's a "Stro guy"??

willtill
09-19-2015, 03:38 PM
What's a "Stro guy"??

I meant YOU "Shooter" I have mental reading dyslexia again... :shock:

Sorry...

willtill
09-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Shooter...? Painting the Fenda Extenda! I want to do that as well now; so it matches the matte silver finish of my F6B.

I believe the Fenda Extenda still comes in flat black?

Anyone know what comparable color at Pep Boys/Auto Zone/Wherever would match the 2015 matte silver finish?

Doing some research already; Color Rite and others are calling the paint Matte Bullet Metallic :icon_confused:

On edit: Correct fellow board members handle.... :icon_doh:

F6B1911
09-19-2015, 08:12 PM
What's a "Stro guy"??

In Detroit, a "Stro guy" is someone who appreciates Bohemian Style Beer.

JetBlackWing
09-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Fenda Exenda and yes it is spell correctly will not crack your fender
check their web site and it is inexpensive.

Just wondering about what this brand extension cost? I think I need to add it to my list.:yes:

willtill
09-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Just wondering about what this brand extension cost? I think I need to add it to my list.:yes:

It's about $40.00 with shipping. I just received mine and am fixing to go out into the shed and install it.

willtill
09-24-2015, 03:15 PM
I have a tube of Permatex Red Hi-Temp RTV sealant left over from a previous project. I plan on using that; together with some additional 3M double sided tape; to affix the Fenda Extenda to the fender of my F6B.

I really don't want to drill into the fender and install the little plastic rivets (4 of them) that sent with it.

I know that the Red RTV sealant is some incredibly sticky and grippy stuff when it cures. Should be OK with securing the Fenda Extenda. :yes:

shooter
09-24-2015, 04:07 PM
No. In my professional opinion it isn't good enough. You need a good epoxy. Just trying to help. You don't want to combine two fastening systems at the contact point. RTV and the tape is a no go.

willtill
09-24-2015, 05:52 PM
No. In my professional opinion it isn't good enough. You need a good epoxy. Just trying to help. You don't want to combine two fastening systems at the contact point. RTV and the tape is a no go.

Thanks for that advice. I did not apply the RTV sealant as of yet.

I am having some difficulty test fitting the Extenda Fenda to the front fender; and then installing it on the forks and checking the tire clearance.

I used some 3m double sided tape to hold the Fenda Extenda more securely than the supplied tape already on it. If I make the Fenda Extenda completely flush against the inside of the OEM fender; and then test fit it on the bike; the end of the Fenda Extenda is really close to the tire.

If I fit the Fenda Extenda with a slight relaxed gap/space on the inside of the fender; it seems to be mounted more naturally with the curve of the OEM fender. Which also shows that there is more space between the trailing edge of the Fenda Extenda and the tire.

So I assume that others whom have installed this; had a little gap on the inside of the OEM fender; with the Fenda Extenda? Or was the closeness of the Fenda Extenda tolerated with ensuring that it was mounted completely flat against the inside of the OEM fender?

Fits fairly well:

http://i57.tinypic.com/1673wpf.jpg

This is the gap I'm talking about. If I completely remove the gap; the Fenda Extenda comes really close (the trailing edge of it) to the tire; when I test fit it:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2nvgkzr.jpg

Bike looks a lot different with the fenders removed:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ah8xh2.jpg

I am awfully tired at the moment; have been up since 2am this morning dealing with server crashes at work; and am still working on restores (remotely). So I've pretty much bagged all of this until tomorrow.... can't see staright anymore.

junkyarddog
09-24-2015, 09:20 PM
I bought the one from J&P. It came gloss black and haven't had a bit of a problem. I was warned beforehand....do not overtighten as this will break it.

willtill
09-25-2015, 07:52 AM
This is the gap I'm talking about. If I completely remove the gap; the Fenda Extenda comes really close (the trailing edge of it) to the tire; when I test fit it:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2nvgkzr.jpg

After much internal debating and analysis of the problem at hand regarding the fit of the Fenda Extenda; and it's minimal free space between the tire's tread; and am going to opt to leave a slight gap (a little less than pictured above); and seal it with some sort of expoxy.

This will provide for the best fit, look and clearance of the Fenda Extenda installed on the OEM fender. Guess that it is not 1,000,000,000 % accurate for a precise fit. But is is good enough for my exacting standards.

willtill
09-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Well.. if anyone is interested further in this and is following this thread.... I figured it out :yes:

Those three pieces of sticky tape that the manufacturer of the Fenda Etenda installed? They were causing the exaggerated gap when I would try to fit the Extenda in a natural; curving position with the OEM fender. Pushing down on the gap of course was pulling the trailing edge of the Extenda closer to the tire. The tape was acting as a pivot for a fulcrum of sorts... with the exaggerated movement of the tip of the Extenda getting too close to the tire; when test fitting it.

The instructions nowhere say to remove the tape. :icon_rolleyes:

I've since removed the tape from the Fenda Extenda and applied a nice coat of JB Weld quick bond Epoxy to it; and now the Fenda Extenda has no gap AND fits correctly with the natural curve of the OEM fender.

We don't need no stinking tape. Or rivets for that matter. :icon_lol:

Will be reinstalling everything tomorrow morning. Could do it tonight (this particular Epoxy cures in one hour) but I will wait a little longer...

Battoo
09-27-2015, 10:23 AM
the Show chrome and I are not friends i cracked mine on my wing since replaced it with a Big bike fender extension works for me now need to get one for the F6B

TailGunner
09-27-2015, 11:26 AM

:yes:

JackB
09-27-2015, 06:25 PM
the Show chrome and I are not friends i cracked mine on my wing sincem replaced it with a Big bike fender extension works for me now need to get one for the F6B
Show Chrome and Big Bike is the same company. I know they make 2 or 3 different lengths.
I will not put any kind of fender extension on my bike once is enough. And I hope no more fenders crack.