PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank plastic or metal?

zeus661
10-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Wondering if the gas tank is metal or plastic? Thinking if metal I need to top it off for winter to help prevent rust. But if it is plastic I don't need to worry about it.

Plastic or metal? And am I thinking right?

Thanks

photodiver
10-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Plastic

SpeedyWho
10-16-2014, 09:56 PM
I was always taught to leave them full to help prevent condensation build up. And yes tank is plastic just like Photo said.

bob109
10-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Wondering if the gas tank is metal or plastic? Thinking if metal I need to top it off for winter to help prevent rust. But if it is plastic I don't need to worry about it.

Plastic or metal? And am I thinking right?

Thanks

Plastic and slung low:icon_wink:

srt8-in-largo
10-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Its 2014... EVERYTHING is plastic.

IMO the most important thing is to use a good gas treatment product meant for storage. I know we all have faith in the Honda engineers... but even the OEM fuel system components will begin to breakdown and deteriotate if the bike (or any vehicle) sits for too long. I would try to get some miles on it every 2 or 3 months at minimum.

Kurare79
10-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Its 2014... EVERYTHING is plastic.

:icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::clap2:

bigbird
10-17-2014, 08:00 AM
If you have access to gasoline without any ethanol in it, that's the way to go for winter storage.
In Canada, our premium grades (91) do not contain any ethanol. I've seen some US pumps that have the option of choosing even regular with no ethanol. It ain't cheap, but neither is a 'B fuel system.

Madmax
10-17-2014, 08:11 AM
The old school general rule was keep your tank full wold keep rust from forming in metal tanks . I was just out a boat seminar and these days its the total opposite these days , unless you have ethanol free fuel the recomended shelf life even with fuel stable is 3 to 4 months .
If you really think about it the stuff is really bad the ethanol is a solvent and eats plastic , has hydroscopic properties so sucks up as much water as it can .
For every 10 gallons you buy you get 1 gallon of ethanol and less fuel milage .
I have posted on this site about sepperating the ethanol from gasoline and it does work well .
On a regular basis you have to use the stuff , but would recommend if buying a ethanol free fuel for long term storage .

srt8-in-largo
10-17-2014, 08:06 PM
:icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::clap2:

I think I'm starting to LIKE plastic :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
10-17-2014, 09:35 PM
long term storage .

Thats right round 2-3 weeks here, usually JULY!!!

'mooning'