PDA

View Full Version : New Windshield--to Vent or not to Vent

4bobo
10-19-2014, 02:56 PM
As I continue my windshield shopping, the vent/no-vent decision is top of mind.

I am curious about the pros and cons of having a windshield vent.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

XKnight
10-19-2014, 03:21 PM
I can't think of any cons. It allows you to adjust the airflow and back pressure. When it rains you can close it if needed. I wouldn't recommend a tall shield without a vent.

bobbyf6b
10-19-2014, 04:26 PM
The vent is the one thing i miss since i got the Windbender shield. It diverts air on you when you want. Definitely a plus in warm weather.

DaWadd
10-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Actually I'm amazed at how much the vent helps with back pressure.:yikes:

RT59
10-19-2014, 05:28 PM
I didn't know if I would use the vent but I ordered it anyway - I'm glad I did and I use it often.

F6BLK
10-19-2014, 05:47 PM
For me I just don't like the looks of the vents!I have the Clearview medium in light smoke no vent more than happy with it!

Steve 0080
10-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Go Vent or go home!!!!!

srt8-in-largo
10-19-2014, 06:11 PM
I'd like to install the vent in my shield, but I'm keeping my eye out for a better looking one than Honda.

For me I just don't like the looks of the vents!I have the Clearview medium in light smoke no vent more than happy with it!

^^^ There's the only downside.

4bobo
10-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Actually I'm amazed at how much the vent helps with back pressure.:yikes:

Sorry to appear a bit dense, but I do not understand the back pressure concept.

Does it have something to do with the aerodynamics, the air pocket created or lower back pain.

Thanks!

bobbyf6b
10-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Without a vent there's a dead pocket of air between the windshield and the rider. It causes head buffeting too unless you have a really tall shield. The vent will break up the dead air and reduce buffeting.

Texas TC
10-19-2014, 07:08 PM
In warmer climates, the vent is a must for airflow. In all areas, reduction in the void created by the wind between the windshield and rider makes it a must for me. I would not own a taller windhield without a vent. JMHO

Pap
10-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I appreciate the vent here in Pa. Close it on the cool rides and open it when it's warm. Best of both worlds.

Bruce B
10-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Check out the Madstad windshield. If you like it, vents become a non-issue. I wouldn't part with mine. Madstad is a Forum sponsor.

MinnetonkaMike
10-19-2014, 09:17 PM
+1 for vent.

Spewey Griffin
10-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Is it reasonable to assume that a non vented screen causes more 'buffeting'? i.e. If your melon is moving ever so slightly in and out of that critical point of the slipstream caused by a non vented screen. In other words a bit of wind at the top is forcing it back and the slipstream is yanking it forward as the 2 forces compete near that point of a happy balance?

A vent with a variable adjustment should be able to create a sweet spot depending on what your riding style is like.

I guess the question is, do Ventees find this?:icon_rolleyes:

I just noticed that Bobby addressed this. Sorry Bobby.

Ray H
10-19-2014, 10:15 PM
With the vent, you have options, closed-open or anywhere in-between.:icon_biggrin: Without the vent, no options.:icon_frown:

Scotrod
10-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Check out the Madstad windshield. If you like it, vents become a non-issue. I wouldn't part with mine. Madstad is a Forum sponsor.

I Love my 'Stad! :yes:

In the summer, I've thought about a scoop or something on the base to redirect some air straight to the riders chest / midsection.
Friggin TONS of air coming up behind the shield, and you can lower that stream down some to get air around head/shoulders, but would like to 'experiment' with a little more air just at the torso,,,

Bruce B
10-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Whether having a vent or not, the Baker Built (Forum sponsor) Hand Wings are a great addition for air flow control. The closed position gives wind protection for the hands and also out to the elbows. Especially nice when the temps get down in the 30's and 40's which can be common winter temps here in Sacramento, CA. In warm weather, open up the Hand Wings and direct cooling air onto the torso. I got mine in the dark tint and they look good on the bike.

Navvet
10-20-2014, 11:00 AM
+1 Vent

FF-Ed
10-20-2014, 05:24 PM
not a fan of the look.

also not a fan of that sticker that baggershield puts dead center of their products

Spewey Griffin
10-20-2014, 05:58 PM
not a fan of the look.

also not a fan of that sticker that baggershield puts dead center of their products

I'm with you on stickers and labels generally. Some look neat, but others are just blatant self promotion on a product that we pay full retail on.

I've got a retro leather jacket which I love apart from the H-D branded into it.

I've also found a new jacket which I'd like except for the Brand writ large right across the shoulders...."Dri Rider"....not a great look for a Goldwing rider. Makes it sound like I'm wearing some sort of absorbent pad.

"Since I've been wearing my Dri Rider, I can ride Motor Cycles all day long".....brrrrr....no thanks!:icon_redface:

4bobo
10-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Ordered a vented F4 Windscreen today. Thank you for all the input!

srt8-in-largo
10-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Share some pics when you get it on the bike...

Phaedrus
10-21-2014, 06:28 AM
I have an F4, with vent. I think you'll like it.

hossners
10-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I like the functionality of the vent, but it makes it more difficult to clean the windshield especially the backside between it and the dash. And sliced bugs on the louvers. This is not enough to decide against it, but it is one of the few 'cons'. :shhh:

-Steve in OR

fl1madmax
10-22-2014, 09:42 PM
As I continue my windshield shopping, the vent/no-vent decision is top of mind.

I am curious about the pros and cons of having a windshield vent.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

When I bought mine I made them throw it in the deal, was free !!!!!!!!

Watchdog
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
I like the functionality of the vent, but it makes it more difficult to clean the windshield especially the backside between it and the dash. And sliced bugs on the louvers. This is not enough to decide against it, but it is one of the few 'cons'. :shhh:

-Steve in OR

Vent was a must during the summer, now that the cold is here I just close it. Yes, cleaning the backside can't be done. I actually put the stock shorty back on for the really warm days.

4bobo
10-23-2014, 07:43 PM
When I bought mine I made them throw it in the deal, was free !!!!!!!!

I got the Honda tall windshield with the bike. It was way too short so I am going with the 23 inch F4.

I will post pictures post install.