PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

Teach
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Fist off hello, new guy. I have a pending purchase set for Monday but I am having a REALLY hard time pulling the trigger. First a little history; I've been riding 40+ years, currently ride a BMW R1200RT, and have a bum hip which is preventing me from enjoying any distance on the RT. So with that said I've ridden about 40 miles on the F6 and like it (after the Beemer Vtwins are not an option). Handles smooth, motor is fantastic, and most important is I can throw a leg over the saddle and ride the bike any distance I want without hip pain.
Obviously the stock shield will get replaced immediately and the passenger backrest raised, but I'm just having a REAL hard time as I stated pulling the trigger (a first for me). What am I missing here???

ps.. this is not a troll

Memphian
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
What is your concern? We have a few here with 10,000 plus miles that may be able help answer some questions. Just your hips and comfort? My hip bothers me some from a back injury but so far the F6B is comfortable to ride.
Welcome to the Fourm

chipmaker
06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I used to ride some BMWs also: R1150R, K1200R, R1200RT. After the RT and Concours 14, I love being closer to the ground, easier getting on/off and way less tippy feeling. If you are in the states, you may miss the ABS and cruise. I am fine without it. This bike is many different things to different people. For me its a fat comfy sportbike, for others its a long distance cruiser with a little less luggage than a normal 'wing. The flat seat that allows shifting around is one of my favorite parts. If I ever get the time to make really long rides, I will invest in highway pegs, and there are many to choose from. Also, with this Honda, you may never have to take it back for service, these are very low maintenance bikes.

What are your concerns?

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
REAL hard time as I stated pulling the trigger (a first for me). What am I missing here???

There's about 6-degrees difference in the knee angle between the RT and the F6B. I'm not sure how much that will help your hips but it should help some. Comfort aside, if your inner voice isn't speaking (yelling) to you "buy this bike" then listen, it's not for you. As for me, When I saw the advance photos in the cycle mags I knew I was in trouble, the feeling I got was "I really have to get this bike".

Teach
06-23-2013, 12:04 PM
The first time I rode the F6 I felt more at home on the standard GW. Took the F6 out with the Mrs on the back a few days later and actually liked it much better the second ride, maybe it was just a transitional adjustment. Rode it again yesterday and the Mrs and I really like it other than the ws which has no functionality at all above 35 mph.
My concern is I really love the RT, but the hip kills me after a couple blocks. I really enjoy the F6 and no hip pain at all, but there is just that lingering thought that I won't be as happy on the F6. Maybe it is just the lack of so many features the RT has that the F6 doesn't? I'm not sure, but the Mrs is sold on the F6, I'm just thinking I'm missing something. Annually I ride a good 15-20k, rode to AK from PA last summer so the ease of maintenance on the F6 is a big plus. I should have said I've owned two older wings back in the day and always loved them.
So really my dilemma is I can stick with the RT and pain, or pick up the F6 and put on some miles. Should be a no brainer right?

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-23-2013, 12:12 PM
but the Mrs is sold on the F6

With that very important issue explained, pull the trigger on the F6B immediately!

chipmaker
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
My wife is short and hated getting on the RT and hated the bags digging into her calfs, neither are a issue on the F6B. I thought she would miss the top pack, but she says she is very comfy on the F6B. Now I don't buy my bikes to make my wife happy, but its a big bonus when she is. Good luck, both bikes are great...

boocoodinkydow
06-23-2013, 12:55 PM
i feel your pain. i traded a bmw k1200gt that i have enjoyed for a long while. at 64, the aggressive riding stance was reeking havoc on these ol' joints now. after a couple of hundred miles, i wanted to lean it against a tree somewhere & walk the rest of the way. i ride for pleasure & riding with pain is definitely not pleasurable. i want say that i don't miss the fantastic feel of the european quality & all the little creature comforts of the beemer, but i have absolutely no regrets having made the trade. the f6b's not a bmw but it has a lot of advantages you'll eventually come to appreciate. just do it & don't look back; you'll not regret it.

Steve 0080
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I will have back rest risers going into production soon and the height of the back rest will be a distant memory.....setting up a powder coating person now.....more to come..

P.S. Buy the dam thing !!!

Texas TC
06-23-2013, 02:07 PM
My advice....walk away. Most everyone here wanted the F6B at first site. Heck, I tried to talk myself out of getting rid of my perfectly good '12 GL1800 and buying the F6B but lost that mental battle when I got to see one at the dealership. I am so happy I bought it, it is the best motorcycle I have owned in 50 years of riding. It is a fair chunk of change for one of these motorcycles so if you have any reservations at all....walk. JMHO.

Teach
06-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Tex, I can appreciate that some folks just have to have something when they see it, and normally I have no problem buying bikes. Hell I've probably owned more new bikes in the past 20 years than most folks in a lifetime. Let me put it another way. I owned a first year Vision, was not love at first sight and in fact was like the F6.... took a while for me to warm up to it before I finally took one for a test ride and decided to buy. Put 46k on the odo in two years and purchased something new, simply because I wanted to.
Maybe that there is the hang up. Normally I'll pick up something new every two years, just because I want a change. This time I'm shopping because I have to. I just want to have some idea of others thoughts about the F6 before I buy. What did they come off of? Does it live up to their expectations? Heck already I learned that the Canadian and Auzzie version has ABS.
Bottom line is I have never seen a pic of any bike that made me just need to have it. It has to be right and you can't know that by simply walkin into a dealership, you have to ask around. I'll surely discard some things folks have to say because they just won't apply to me, but I've discovered sometimes someone says something that has not been considered previously. For example you said you traded a perfectly good 12 for the F6. Going from a GW to a GW shouldn't take a lot of convincing if the plan was to simply go more sporty and the F6 option is there.
I appreciate your thoughts, so thanks.

Texas TC
06-23-2013, 03:28 PM
" Going from a GW to a GW shouldn't take a lot of convincing if the plan was to simply go more sporty and the F6 option is there."

There is a BIG difference in the handling, quickness, and comfort between the GL 1800 and the F6B. Although on the same platform, lowering the center of gravity, weight, wind drag along with a more comfortable seat allowing for more legroom makes the two models totally different. I came off a string of ten Harleys before purchasing my first Gold Wing. Prior to that, I rode smaller Hondas, a Kawasaki, BMW, and even a Zundap. When I switched to Wings a few years ago, I was extremely pleased with the quality and reliability. The F6B simply suites my riding style these days. I no longer want to do the cross country jaunts of my past riding years but stay fairly local and ride every day. I have put 5200 miles on this new bike since Febgruary 26, it is just a pure pleasure to ride.

This, and two other forums devoted to the F6B are packed full of useful information from owners that really love this motorcycle. Good luck with your due diligence and making an informed decision.

Teach
06-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Tex, Now see that second reply confirmed exactly what I noticed about the F6, lower CG, quicker, and the additional leg room. I also noticed the F6 turns in more abruptly which caught me a little off guard the first test ride. I also noticed 1st gear is about useless unless you want to just putt around the parking lot, and 2nd works fine for takeoffs. Frankly I could probably do away with 1st, & 3rd gear all together and never miss them.
I still plan to use the F6 for X-country trips if I pick it up but I spend most of my miles riding secondary roads rather than interstate which is why I feel the F6 is a better fit for me versus the GL1800. I'd rather be carving the back roads than chewing up super slab.
Again thanks for your reply, you have been most helpful.

ps... I rode a bunch of HD's and others myself but the RT spoiled me. I did look at a Vic and HD again but they felt like I was dragging an anchor. So really the F6 or GL have been the only two bikes I've considered. Again thanks.

Alberta Beagle
06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm with TC on this one. If this bike doesn't speak to you then it's the wrong bike for you. There is not a person I know who has ridden an F6B who wasn't blown away by the power delivery, handling and comfort of the bike let alone the styling.
Listening to your comments after 25 years of running auto dealerships I would say your biggest hang up isn't the bike, it's parting with the money.
Everything you said you liked about the F6 indicates it is an improvement to your comfort over the BMW. YOu said yourself you can't ride for very long distance without pain. Clearly you like the idea of the F6 and have rad the reviews an heard the comments from us as owners. Heck, you must like the way it looks or you wouldn't even put it on the list. There are too many reasons for you to say yes to the F6 for it to be anything else but the money.
This is my .02 cents after 25 successful years of managing sales teams and training sales people.
I could be wrong but I'm betting I'm not. No disrespect intended here. There are lots of times I want something and just can't justify the money as well.

Oh, welcome to the forum as well. Great group of enthusiasts here.

Beagle:icon_mrgreen:

Teach
06-24-2013, 08:07 AM
You might wanna brush up on your observational sales skills because you missed it by a mile. I retired a LONG time ago at the ripe ole age of 36. MONEY is never an issue. Nope I just don't jump very often without pondering a bit.

I sure don't know why you fellas are so defensive....... This is simple inquiry.

Dmoon64
06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Since you're rich. Buy it. If you don't like it after 2 weeks or 2 years sell it. :icon_lol:Pull the trigger. You'll love it.

I bought mine in April. I came off a DL650 ,and put 30,000 on that, so it really took me about a thousand miles to get used to the size of the F6.

Westernbiker
06-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Yea, I agree, if the F6 didn't speak to you right away, then this bike is NOT for you.
Don't buy it, save the bike for someone else that will REALLY enjoy it please! You won't like it,
I can tell, I have super powers and can read your mind. You are wasting your money. I feel it....it's
another HD in your future....yes....I can see it now........a pink and green one..........with feathers
on it.....and long leather tassels hanging from the grips.....yes.....there it is.
Just funnin ya!

Alberta Beagle
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM
You might wanna brush up on your observational sales skills because you missed it by a mile. I retired a LONG time ago at the ripe ole age of 36. MONEY is never an issue. Nope I just don't jump very often without pondering a bit.

I sure don't know why you fellas are so defensive....... This is simple inquiry.

There was no defensive tone to my post, in fact, I wrote no disrespect intended. I could care less how much money you have, when you retired or if you buy an F6B or not. Regardless of how much money people have they don't always like to spend it. The fact that every other bike causes pain and the F6B does not, plus the long list of other things you said you liked about the F6 leaves only one thing left thats holding you back...... THE MONEY!!!!
My observational skills are dead on!!!! You just refuse to acknowledge the facts.
Keep riding the BMW and use the money you saved for a new hip!!! :icon_mrgreen: Now thats money well spent!!!!

Beagle

Teach
06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Well I bought it so we'll see what all the hype is about, lol.... Thanks for the feedback guys.

Memphian
06-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Well I bought it so we'll see what all the hype is about, lol.... Thanks for the feedback guys.

Teach enjoy your new ride. Keep me updated on the comfort while ridng and if your hip starts to bother you on your rides. As I stated before I have back problems that cause my hips to hurt but so far my F6B has not effected my riding. I can only ride about 500 miles in a day...thats my limit no matter what bike I ride. I believe you will be able to get all the miles you want on the F6B.
Congrats and enjoy!

MichaelG
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Teach enjoy your new ride. Keep me updated on the comfort while ridng and if your hip starts to bother you on your rides. As I stated before I have back problems that cause my hips to hurt but so far my F6B has not effected my riding. I can only ride about 500 miles in a day...thats my limit no matter what bike I ride. I believe you will be able to get all the miles you want on the F6B.
Congrats and enjoy!

Memphian & Teach, as I have stated before, but apparently not enough to make a point of it, the Russell Day-Long saddle is also excellent for people with bad backs and bad hips.

www.day-long.com

I have known many riders over the past 43 years that have gone to a Russell seat, because of their back backs or hips. People with fused discs, compressed discs, etc. can now enjoy riding again, because of the internal suspension support su0ystem built INTO the Russell seats.

Couch Rocket
06-24-2013, 06:52 PM
"use the money you saved for a new hip!!!" :icon_mrgreen:

:lolup:

I literally spit my drink on my keyboard.

-CR

Alberta Beagle
06-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Great News Teach!!!! You are going to love it!!!!
Now get out there and ride the hell out of it pain free!!!! :biggthumpup:

Beagle

Teach
06-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Miles, Yep had a Russell on the RT, they make great seats. So far the stock seems fine but I'll know better after a few days of my normal riding (couple hundred to 8). I'll likely send the stocker out for rebuild over the long winter here regardless.

Memphian, Thanks and I will keep you updated. I'm a 70% DAV for a back injury so hip, leg, back pain and burning are pretty normal. This latest hip pain riding the RT was WAY up in the pain department to have gotten my attention. Did 105 miles this evening and felt fine after. I'll be heading to MO for a few days, heading out in the am, and will extend the mileage to see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again guys, you have been helpful. Now I just need to work out the bikes character a bit so it feels like an extension of me...

MichaelG
06-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Miles, Yep had a Russell on the RT, they make great seats. So far the stock seems fine but I'll know better after a few days of my normal riding (couple hundred to 8). I'll likely send the stocker out for rebuild over the long winter here regardless.

Thanks again guys, you have been helpful. Now I just need to work out the bikes character a bit so it feels like an extension of me...

Teach, I have the very first Russell Day-Long seat for an F6B on my bike, pictures below, and am willing to meet with you so that you can see the seat in person, if that helps. Yes, I know you have had a Russell before, just as I have, and this is my 11th seat from Russell (with more than 1 million miles on Russell seats).

You let me know if my offer to meet will help.

Memphian
06-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks Miles for the information on the day long seat. I know when I decide to purcase a new seat it will be a Russell day long seat. It won't be until this fall when I order though. I had already decided to get one when you first posted pics of your seat, I just never got around to commenting that is the seat for me.

Teach
06-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Miles, I have to get some saddle time on the stocker before I decide what I'm going to do, but if I do something it will be a Russell and it will get done over winter. As for meeting up? Well I might ride across to the west coast next summer, and if so maybe we can hook up and I'll buy the coffee:icon_wink:

Teach
06-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Well between running to MO & back, and all this rain, I finally got a LITTLE saddle time in. Here are a few of my initial observations. First off I need to adjust the headlight up a little, just doesn't reach out far enough, or maybe its far enough and they just need spread a little. Either way they'll need some playing with so I don't need to keep hitting the high beam. The handlebars seem to droop just a wee bit too much at the grip. Still too new to decide if I need to adjust them or not (more saddle time will tell). Definitely going to throw on my sheepskin before the next ride, lol.... I'm also going to click up the preload a bit. It definitely isn't the BMW. I didn't suspect it would be, BUT the bike is still fun to ride. I think I'll need a few more miles of really pushing the bikes limits before I feel real confident. Seems planted well enough, I'm just not letting it go yet. Bike is probably capable, I'm just holding some back as I test it. I keep expecting to drag metal parts, but so far it hasn't been an issue.
The tall Honda windshield is coming right back off and the 11" bagger shield on as soon as it arrives. Passenger floorboard are on their way and the passenger backrest is just awaiting studs to refit it. I'm pretty sure that will be all the changes this summer, but I need to get some highway pegs on. I also need to get a powerlet outlet put in the left access panel and another couple up front. I'm still pondering the likelihood of another Russell build.