PDA

View Full Version : Is the F6B a Goldwing?

XKnight
10-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Let the great debate start! Is your F6B a Goldwing in your mind?

Sure, it says Goldwing on the dash, but does that make it a Goldwing or do you consider it a separate bike?

I for one don't consider my F6B to be a real Goldwing. It looks cooler, handles better and is faster. It's not your Granddad's Goldwing, it's an F6B. .batman-smilie. A lot of folks on the Goldwing forums won't embrace the F6B as a real Goldwing and neither will I albeit for different reasons. If I wanted a full decked out Wing that's what I would have gotten, but I wanted something that looks better and is just cooler than a regular Wing. Hence, I have an F6B.:icon_cool:

So, what is your opinion on this highly important matter? :icon_lol:

DaWadd
10-20-2014, 05:19 PM
I consider my 6 to be a Goldwing. We all know the differences in looks and performance. All the Goldwing owners I've met have admired mine.:icon_wink:

F6B1911
10-20-2014, 05:19 PM
That's really a great question.
You're no doubt about to get a wide variety of replies.
I bought a F6B earlier this year, really never considered a Gold Wing, I was looking for a replacement for an older BMW.
Just happened in on a Honda dealer, saw the F6B, and had to have it.
I knew it was a "modified" wing, though, but modified so perfectly.

FF-Ed
10-20-2014, 05:35 PM
mine says Goldwing.

bigbird
10-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm with you.
It's not a Goldwing.
A Goldwing is the stodgy, bright coloured touring bike over there.
Look, the nice older couple is getting on their cute Goldwing with the stuffed bear poking out of the top box.

I own a sleek, low, black 'B that says I'll kick that touring bike's ass every time out.
Even if they have the exact same power train, I certainly don't drive my 'B like the nice couple over there.

Hornblower
10-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Considering there's nothing at all wrong with a full Goldwing, I just consider my F6B as a sportier version of it.

MarcPW
10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
It is the sporty version of the Wing... So still a Wing !

glryder98
10-20-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't consider my bike to be a Goldwing. I know it says goldwing but......... If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Pap
10-20-2014, 06:11 PM
I just tell everyone it's a Sportwing.

Retired Army
10-20-2014, 06:16 PM
The gold wing has not changed since it's inception, it still has a flat engine and a shaft drive. Two cylinders have been added to handle the weight of the farkels that have been added since the first Gold Wing hit the streets. Leaving the trunk and passenger sofa off the F6B lowered the center of gravity effectively improving the handling of the otherwise great handling Gold Wing.

Spanky
10-20-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't think a streetglide to be an ultra classic. It shares the same frame, FLH, and its a member of the family. Same thing with the wing. Its fine all by itself. But there is a big brother out there. So no, the F6B is in a class all by itself.the next step up is the goldwing. And when I grow up, I may own one. But I like hanging around with the hip young kids.

bob109
10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
A full blown Gold Wing is nothing more than a F6B on "steroids":stirthepot:

JackB
10-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I had Valkyrie's before the F6B and I would consider the Valkyrie to be a Hot Rod Goldwing so I would also consider the F6B a Goldwing.

Deer Slayer
10-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Goldwing parts fit.:poke::cheers:

Injun Joe
10-20-2014, 07:09 PM
It's a variant of the Goldwing... Just like both vintages of the Valkyrie or the Rune. To me it's kinda like HD making only three bikes really... well, I guess four now with the 750. I think Victory only makes one. Indian only made one the first year and now they will make two.

My 1965 Mercury was a Cyclone and I was (still am) damned proud of it. But I'm realist enough to know it was also a Comet... or a Fairlane. My grandad always bought Mercuries because Lincolns were for rich people. But except for the name plate, they were just like the Lincoln. (I loved the one with suicide doors when I was a kid. Would love to have one now.)

The top is just like my Cyclone. The bottom, a Comet. Same car.

Random Factor
10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
I just tell everyone it's a Sportwing.

I like that. That is exactly what mine is!

opas ride
10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
When folks ask me what my bike is I usually say a Honda F6B and the reply is usually "What is that"? I then say it is mini-version of a Goldwing without all the "goodies"...Seems to satisfy most times....In reality, I don't give a "crap what they think as I love the thing and it is without a doubt the best bike I have ever had....

Spewey Griffin
10-20-2014, 07:57 PM
There's no way known to man that I would have bought a Goldwing......if that makes any sense. I find myself saying "it's a mini Goldwing" which is wrong as it's only 'mini' in a few bits and weight. I'm going to try very hard to say ...."it's a Honda F6B" and let people do their own research.

powercruzer13
10-20-2014, 08:23 PM
I consider our F6B's as the new Valkyrie Tourer.
The F6B is my choice to replace my Valk Tourer with all the upgrades that have happened since the original Valkyrie. I waited on Mother Honda to come out with a new Valkyrie for years & when the B came out I was intrigued. When the new Valkyrie :no::banghead: came out I bought the F6B. :icon_mrgreen:

Don't really care what it's considered but it's just about perfect for me. :icon_wink:

But yeah..... it's a 'Wing!

Phantom
10-20-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm with you.

Look, the nice older couple is getting on their cute Goldwing .

:what:

I was 43 when I purchased my White GL1800 COUCH rocket a few years ago.

I'm not an old fart yet, kiss my young :kissass: .....:f2:

rumble-b
10-20-2014, 08:55 PM
I also say it's an F6B and then explain that it is a Sports Goldwing.

bigbird
10-20-2014, 08:58 PM
:what:

I was 43 when I purchased my White GL1800 COUCH rocket a few years ago.

I'm not an old fart yet, kiss my young :kissass: .....:f2:

And how's your stuffed bear?
Or is it a bobble head George Dubayah glued to the top box? funnychit.

hiflyer
10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
You guys that say it isn't a Goldwing, tell me what this is.

shooter
10-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Says Goldwing right on the console. That's pretty simple.

bigbird
10-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Is this a trick question?

I'll bite.

It's a 2015 Ural Kossack.

shooter
10-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Bigbird don't say you're gonna kick every GW ass you see. I know some pretty "hot wings" that would love to take your pink slip. There isn't that much weight difference and some of those old farts can really fly the wing. I have a buddy in his late 60s that would eat your B for lunch. Watch how you brag , you might have to eat your words.

bigbird
10-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Watch how you brag , you might have to eat your words.

It's all in good fun. I don't drive like that. Well, only if I'm overtaking anything with an H-D on the tank.

I would never have bought a Gold Wing. Too much excess for me. When the 'B came out, it was everything I wanted in a bike, and less.
To me, a GW and a 'B are very distantly related, in both form and function.

And I might put a Darth Vader bubblehead on my rear carrier. But I don't believe in running a car tire on a motorcycle.

If Soichiro Honda only knew what the young Honda design bucks had done to his precious '75 Wing, he'd be rolling in his grave.

leroysch
10-20-2014, 10:05 PM

I know, I know..lemme...

Looks like a UJM..oh...well, there is that motor thing going on...

And if you remember what that stands for....kudos for going the F6B route vs the Gold Wing.

hiflyer
10-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I know, I know..lemme...

Looks like a UJM..oh...well, there is that motor thing going on...

And if you remember what that stands for....kudos for going the F6B route vs the Gold Wing.

ah yes, the universal.....

BadDawg
10-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm still in denial.

mtcgun
10-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Im sure im not the only one to have had this conversation at a gas station:

Q: What is that?
Me: Its a F6B.

receive dumbfounded look....

Q: A what?
me: Its a goldwing without a trunk..

OHHHHH.

srt8-in-largo
10-20-2014, 10:36 PM
I'm proud to call mine a Goldwing... as cool as it looks I could say it's a turd and people still give thumbs up :icon_biggrin:

Phantom
10-20-2014, 10:39 PM
I don't drive like that. But I don't believe in running a car tire on a motorcycle.

'pussy"

Here's a youngster put-sing around with his Yellow Goldwing riding on a CT 'mooning'

I am willing to put $1000.00 on the table if You will put $1000.00 on the table, you and I race each other on the Tail of the Dragon at next years F6B Rally, winner tales all. I'll bring my old Goldwing and you bring your F6B

Not into George Dubyah but I would bet that he would have already had your Keystone pipeline built by now and your Canadian oil would have been selling a long time ago down on the Gulf coast. Now if you want to talk about JEB BUSH our former Florida Governor, pull a chair and let's talk about what he accomplished here in Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPjNYY5GvM

Another youngster ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MlK5VPZ84

srt8-in-largo
10-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Now there's a good argument for CT's... better stability during wheelies! :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
10-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Even the fully dressed Wing is a sexy bike...

fxdl2051
10-20-2014, 11:07 PM
The label said "Goldwing", so I changed the label to "F6B". It rides much faster now. However as the prophecies speak of it, it is really The Anti Hawg.

bobbyf6b
10-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Flat Six Bagger, or "Not your fathers Goldwing."

kinda like HD making only three bikes really... well, I guess four now with the 750

Sportster, Dyna, Softail, Touring, Trike, Street. But who's counting. :icon_mrgreen:

bigbird
10-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Not into George Dubyah but I would bet that he would have already had your Keystone pipeline built by now and your Canadian oil would have been selling a long time ago down on the Gulf coast.

And that's a good thing?

Phantom
10-20-2014, 11:28 PM
And that's a good thing?

More oil on the market, larger supplies, less reliance on foreign producers, prices drop (as they have been in the last few months due to more North American production), Gasoline costs drop, people keep more of their own money, Cost of transportation drops, and the long list goes on ....

I guess seeing people struggle is what you consider a good thing? :icon_doh:

Steve 0080
10-20-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm still in denial.

Well this will sound crazy ...but... I am embarrassed when someone asks me what it is...I seldom/never say it is a GW...so much so I removed the GW emblem. The GW is by all accounts an old mans bike...kinda like carrying change in your pocket..have to be over 40 to do that..me not so much! Cant really say why I feel the way I do. Don't like people taking about my girls either. I was on a ride w/ my wife and she said something about a arm rest being loose on my bike...it was hell and chaos !!! No one talks about my girls...cant explain that either... almost put her to walking! I bought a F6B, and that is what it is, it is not less or more than anything else, it is mine, I like it and don't get a dam what some else thinks or feels !

And yes next time I will really say how I feel...

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Sportster, Dyna, Softail, Touring, Trike, Street. But who's counting. :icon_mrgreen:

Sportster - 1
Trike - I forgot there's a factory trike - there's 2 sort of
All the rest you are listing are the same except for bolt on do dads - kinda like the F6B and Goldwing!

I've never bothered to learn the difference between the FLXYZ and the FLZYX and never will though I do like the ones where HD bolts on that massive chrome headlight housing. Reminds me of an Indian. :stirthepot:

bigbird
10-21-2014, 06:45 AM

Not a trick question.
I went on a rant, but decided to edit it out.
This is not the place to stir the political pot.
I'd rather just talk about the F6B here. The forum title says "F6B Riders". That's me.

hiflyer
10-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Not a trick question.
A case of US Imperialism at its finest.

I'll never buy another US built vehicle.

But...but....but....this is a US built forum? You know, come to think of it, I own absolutely nuthin' made in Canada.

SpeedyWho
10-21-2014, 08:42 AM

I've NEVER used the "B" word listed above to describe my bike. Referring to the F6B as that severely downgrades what a fantastic machine it is, then throws it in to a generalized group of obsolete boat anchors.

When people ask me what it is, I tell them it's a sporty version of a Goldwing.

bobbyf6b
10-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Sportster - 1
Trike - I forgot there's a factory trike - there's 2 sort of
All the rest you are listing are the same except for bolt on do dads

Wrong. If you think the Dyna, Softail and Touring bikes are the same then you're sadly mistaken. They all have different frames, suspension and engine configurations.

I hear statements like yours all the time and it's annoying. All you have to do is a little research.

Let's make it 7 models. I forgot about the Livewire, but it doesn't really count since it's not in mass production.

SpeedyWho
10-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Wrong. If you think the Dyna, Softail and Touring bikes are the same then you're sadly mistaken. They all have different frames, suspension and engine configurations.

I hear statements like yours all the time and it's annoying. All you have to do is a little research.

Let's make it 7 models. I forgot about the Livewire, but it doesn't really count since it's not in mass production.

Bobby, I know the differences between them all, I actually do. But I still lump them into one big group.:bsII:

bobbyf6b
10-21-2014, 08:52 AM
I've NEVER used the "B" word listed above to describe my bike. Referring to the F6B as that severely downgrades what a fantastic machine it is, then throws it in to a generalized group of obsolete boat anchors.

Even though we disagree I love the way you describe it. :crackup:

I think Flat Six over rules the lame Bagger connotation. :icon_cool:

bobbyf6b
10-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Bobby, I know the differences between them all, I actually do. But I still lump them into one big group.:bsII:

It's hit or miss. My last one was a big pile of :bsII: but I'm glad cuz I traded it in for the 6. :yes:

Deer Slayer
10-21-2014, 09:20 AM
I told a Harley rider when he ask, "It's a fast red Honda." Booze involved, LOL...:yikes:

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 09:24 AM

That's too easy: It's the next Goldwing I would want. (Except in a different color.)

Hornblower
10-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Maybe the reason I did it...now when they ask, I tell them it's a Decepticon. Of course, all the young folks already know that :yikes:

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Maybe the reason I did it...now when they ask, I tell them it's a Decepticon. Of course, all the young folks already know that :yikes:

Love it!

XKnight
10-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Im sure im not the only one to have had this conversation at a gas station:

Q: What is that?
Me: Its a F6B.

receive dumbfounded look....

Q: A what?
me: Its a goldwing without a trunk..

OHHHHH.

Just the other day I rolled up at a light next to a guy on a Yamaha cruiser. He looked my bike over and I could tell he had no clue what it was. Like many here, I debadged the front and back Honda letters and have Batman F6B logos in the side fairing. The Yamaha rider asks me "what is it"? I responded "it's a Honda" and he nodded approvingly. I might start telling folks it's a Bat Bike. .batman-smilie. It also amazes me how many Harley riders can't figure out it's just a Goldwing with no trunk.

YODA
10-22-2014, 08:56 PM
According to an article in this months WW, Mother Honda is officially calling the 2015 a "Gold Wing F6B" in order to specifically designate it a Gold Wing model in order to disspell and diffuse the controversy that it is, indeed, a Gold Wing!

JackBurns40
10-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Honda? Check.
Pancake 4 or 6? Check
It's a GoldWing.

GoldWing started life as a naked bike.
My first Wing, which I never bonded with, was a naked bike that had a touring accessories kit bolted on.

I'm going to buy either an F6B or a full dress Wing in the spring.

But they're both GoldWings. The motor makes it so.

srt8-in-largo
10-22-2014, 11:11 PM
And what a motor! WOWWEE!!

XKnight
10-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Honda? Check.
Pancake 4 or 6? Check
It's a GoldWing.

GoldWing started life as a naked bike.
My first Wing, which I never bonded with, was a naked bike that had a touring accessories kit bolted on.

I'm going to buy either an F6B or a full dress Wing in the spring.

But they're both GoldWings. The motor makes it so.

The F6C Valkyrie is a Goldwing too, but I don't consider it one even though it technically is per Mother Honda. I guess the my point is that I don't care what Honda says it is. It is what I say it is. :icon_lol:

Big Dawg
10-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I own a sleek, low, black 'B that says I'll kick that touring bike's ass every time out.
Even if they have the exact same power train, I certainly don't drive my 'B like the nice couple over there.

You are invited to try..

Injun Joe
10-23-2014, 02:22 PM
The F6C Valkyrie is a Goldwing too, but I don't consider it one even though it technically is per Mother Honda. I guess the my point is that I don't care what Honda says it is. It is what I say it is. :icon_lol:

If we apply that to every word or concept, communication rapidly ceases to exist. (Believe it or not, this is actually the exact thing I studied in college.) In order to communicate, you must be able to define why a F6C Valkyrie is not a Goldwing. That's going to be particularly hard to do if it's creater specifically says it is one. Once upon a time I spent an entire college semester studying whether playing chess without a queen was still playing chess. Got an A in the class too -- one of the very few.

XKnight
10-23-2014, 03:17 PM
If we apply that to every word or concept, communication rapidly ceases to exist. (Believe it or not, this is actually the exact thing I studied in college.) In order to communicate, you must be able to define why a F6C Valkyrie is not a Goldwing. That's going to be particularly hard to do if it's creater specifically says it is one. Once upon a time I spent an entire college semester studying whether playing chess without a queen was still playing chess. Got an A in the class too -- one of the very few.

I subscribe to the theory that the universe was created out of chaos and I've never been a big fan of adult communication or rules.

FF-Ed
10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
The F6C Valkyrie is a Goldwing too, but I don't consider it one even though it technically is per Mother Honda. I guess the my point is that I don't care what Honda says it is. "It is what I say it is". :icon_lol:

It is what I say it is! Amen.

Injun Joe
10-23-2014, 05:19 PM
I subscribe to the theory that the universe was created out of chaos and I've never been a big fan of adult communication or rules.

Personally, I take chaos to mean order and theory to mean fact. Rules are guide lines. Big means husky. Rather than 18, I take adult to mean 17... uh... skip that last one.

I do however still consider the F6B to be a Goldwing along with both generations of Valkyrie and the Rune which no one even talks about and every trike conversion that's ever been and... to be amended as time goes by. Still waiting for the dual sport Goldwing...

vstar09
10-23-2014, 07:48 PM
As my buddy I ride with, who has riden Goldwings for years puts it........ Its Wing on steroids......

XKnight
10-24-2014, 09:20 PM
As my buddy I ride with, who has riden Goldwings for years puts it........ Its Wing on steroids......

I've heard others call it a stripped down Wing. Sometimes less is more though.

grendl
10-25-2014, 12:21 PM
I stopped for a burger one day at a local bar that has mostly Harley riders as it's clientele. As I was leaving one of the guys (we were all on the patio) asked me what IS that.
I replied it's an F6B.
Next question what is that-who makes it?
I just said it's a chopped Goldwing. They seemed to understand that and still commented how nice it was...
I told a kid one day at a redlight(he was with his mother) "I stole Batman's bike..He went for it- eyes got large and exclaimed You DID!!?
Since he was with his mother I cleaned it up, dont want the young man thinking stealing was a good idea. Still when he remarked that he wanted one,I got a dirty look from his mom.
My standard answer though is the "chopped Goldwing" line. Yes ,It is a wing, but .....
I would not buy a full Wing, when Honda built this they were reading my mind. I love this bike !!!
to each his own

srt8-in-largo
10-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Chopped Goldwing... hmmm... I might have to borrow that phrase :icon_mrgreen:

bigbird
10-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Yesterday, my brother-in-law and I were sitting in a roadhouse out in the boonies having a beer mid-ride. In comes 2 middle aged ladies dressed in full riding gear; leathers, chaps, boots, gloves, etc. We were the only two in the bar, so they came over and one said "who owns that black F6B out front?". I said I was the guilty party. One of the ladies went on about how it was her dream bike and she wanted one in the worst way. They had driven by, not intending to stop, but when she saw my 'B she did an abrupt U-turn and came into the bar. I told her it was ironic that not a half hour earlier when we arrived at the roadhouse and dismounted, I said to my B-I-L "I love my bike". We had just crossed a long elevated river bridge, me doing 150 kph, leaving him and his 600 Shadow way back. I just had to open 'er up. She asked if we could go out and she could sit on it. I said sure. They were both driving Yamaha Silverado 650's loaded with windscreens, bags, racks, highway pegs, etc, etc. We talked about her buying a leftover '13 or '14, how Honda loans were cheap, which dealer might have one, etc. She is a little short for a 'B, but she said she had an upholsterer who could lower the front of the seat to get her the necessary leg length. She is going out today to try and buy the only black '13 left in the province. It also turns out she is a member of this forum. We had never met, but we had exchanged ideas here. Talk about a small world.