PDA

View Full Version : Future Classics

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 10:45 AM
I just read this article and it got me thinking: https://rideapart.com/articles/watson-future-classic-motorcycles

I'm a bad one to be playing this game because I've got quirky tastes. A lot of the fairly old bikes I like aren't that collectible. (Like the original GL1000 for instance.) But of ones that have come out in the last 10-20 years, which do you folks might be worth something as a "cult favorite" at the very least some time down the line?

For me, The Suzuki M109R would be one. The Piaggio MP3 would be another. The Victory Vision maybe? Maybe a particular Triumph Rocket III model?

It has me wondering about our beloved F6Bs. I think they could definitely fall into this "future classic" category -- particularly if they get discontinued some time soon as some have suggested. That has me wondering about the mods I'm planning and that I've already made. Seems like the more virgin, the more collectible vehicles are. Nothing I've done so far is real "permanent." Since I'm hoping to keep this bike long term, I'm wondering whether it would be smart in some ways to keep it that way. Not that I have a history of doing the smart thing...

shooter
10-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Well I'm lucky. I own one of the nicest M109Rs around. Yeah it may be a classic one day. I love my B also. I don't think it will ever be a classic. Mod away. Make it yours. Every classic should be unique.

valkmc
10-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I think the original Valkyries should be considered a classic. Although my taste can be a little quirky also. I think the 79-82 750 Super Sport is classic. I am currently restoring one.

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I think the original Valkyries should be considered a classic. Although my taste can be a little quirky also. I think the 79-82 750 Super Sport is classic. I am currently restoring one.

I think the Valkyrie can already be considered a classic and also the CB750 Four.

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Well I'm lucky. I own one of the nicest M109Rs around. Yeah it may be a classic one day. I love my B also. I don't think it will ever be a classic. Mod away. Make it yours. Every classic should be unique.

Why do you think the B won't be? (My M109R was pretty darn nice too!)

SpeedyWho
10-21-2014, 11:42 AM
To me the Yamaha VMAX is already a classic, it has more if a cult following but it's an awesome machine. I'd love to have one in the garage next to the F6B.

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 12:33 PM
To me the Yamaha VMAX is already a classic, it has more if a cult following but it's an awesome machine. I'd love to have one in the garage next to the F6B.

Yup. Good one!

Reedman71
10-21-2014, 12:37 PM
How about the B-King? One year production (2008 for the US) and will still beat out any "naked" sportbike. Along with the RE5, these are two bikes that Suzuki should have never produced. I have a B-King and keep trying to decide if I should sell it or keep it.

9290 9291

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 01:50 PM
How about the B-King? One year production (2008 for the US) and will still beat out any "naked" sportbike. Along with the RE5, these are two bikes that Suzuki should have never produced. I have a B-King and keep trying to decide if I should sell it or keep it.

9290 9291

I don't know the bikes. But if you think the one you own might become a classic, I'd keep it if I could.

Limoles
10-21-2014, 01:52 PM

9290 9291

VALKYRIE , VALKYRIE , VALKYRIE

Limoles
10-21-2014, 01:54 PM
I don't know the bikes. But if you think the one you own might become a classic, I'd keep it if I could.

VALKYRIE , VALKYRIE , VALKYRIE

Limoles
10-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I think the Valkyrie can already be considered a classic and also the CB750 Four.

YES - VALKYRIE - definitely !!!!

Trike lady
10-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Bikes made in limited quantities are worth money and collectible. I have a friend who is now living in Kentucky and he has a large collection of Japanese and American bikes. He has managed to find two GL1000s that have 1974 on the vin tag and a couple of GL1000 prototypes that made there way to the general public. So check the GL1000 carefully before saying no. The 1985 GL1200 Limited this was the first Goldwing with fuel injection and the 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi that last fuel injected Goldwing. The 1976 GL1000 Limited the one with the gold wheels. All three of these bikes were built in limited numbers. The Honda PC800 Pacific Coast (looks like a baby Goldwing) a strange little bike. The 1983 CX/GL 650 models, it was the last year for this bike. The Silverwing series (long before the scooter model) came as a 'naked' and an 'Interstate' model. The Interstate can be set up with different touring packages. I have a GL650I with the single seat and small trunk, not a popular set up. You have the Turbo CX 650, a CX Custom and a CX. There are also CX/GL 500 and a Turbo.
Then you have odd bikes like the Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter (Indian style bike). Suzuki Cavalcade that competed against the Goldwing.. There is a GL1500 Interstate with the radio in the left fairing pocket. Anniversary bikes are normally made in limited numbers, the 2009 GL1800 in light blue was limited to 500 units.
Not all HDs are collector bikes either 95th and earlier anniversary models were built in limited numbers. The Heritage edition Electra glide in olive/orange is hard to find. There is the Sturgis and Daytona Dyna models, the 'Moo' glide the model with the bovine inspired seat and bags, the 1984 FLHX (the original), the Liberty edition, the Servicar and military bikes especially if you can find the U.S. Navy models.
Most bikes built today are just like automobiles 'Throw away'. More people will restore and older bike from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
Goldwings are a bike people hold onto.
The1983 GL650I a one year only bike.

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Bikes made in limited quantities are worth money and collectible. I have a friend who is now living in Kentucky and he has a large collection of Japanese and American bikes. He has managed to find two GL1000s that have 1974 on the vin tag and a couple of GL1000 prototypes that made there way to the general public. So check the GL1000 carefully before saying no. The 1985 GL1200 Limited this was the first Goldwing with fuel injection and the 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi that last fuel injected Goldwing. The 1976 GL1000 Limited the one with the gold wheels. All three of these bikes were built in limited numbers. The Honda PC800 Pacific Coast (looks like a baby Goldwing) a strange little bike. The 1983 CX/GL 650 models, it was the last year for this bike. The Silverwing series (long before the scooter model) came as a 'naked' and an 'Interstate' model. The Interstate can be set up with different touring packages. I have a GL650I with the single seat and small trunk, not a popular set up. You have the Turbo CX 650, a CX Custom and a CX. There are also CX/GL 500 and a Turbo.
Then you have odd bikes like the Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter (Indian style bike). Suzuki Cavalcade that competed against the Goldwing.. There is a GL1500 Interstate with the radio in the left fairing pocket. Anniversary bikes are normally made in limited numbers, the 2009 GL1800 in light blue was limited to 500 units.
Not all HDs are collector bikes either 95th and earlier anniversary models were built in limited numbers. The Heritage edition Electra glide in olive/orange is hard to find. There is the Sturgis and Daytona Dyna models, the 'Moo' glide the model with the bovine inspired seat and bags, the 1984 FLHX (the original), the Liberty edition, the Servicar and military bikes especially if you can find the U.S. Navy models.
Most bikes built today are just like automobiles 'Throw away'. More people will restore and older bike from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
Goldwings are a bike people hold onto.
The1983 GL650I a one year only bike.

Wow, you know your stuff Trike Lady! The thing with those though is finding ones that are still under valued. The last 75 Limited I looked at was beat and the guy still wanted a premium for it. I say the GL1000 isn't really a collector because you can find ones in decent (not pristine) condition pretty frequently. (Similar to the old BMW airheads except for special ones like the toasters.) I want a GL1000 (garden variety) just because I think they are great bikes and would love having one when I run with my vintage friends. (Assuming I couldn't find an old Moto Guzzi Edorado or Ambassador which have blown up recently.)

Funny how many bikes being mentioned here are ones I lusted after at one time or another -- yours being one of them. I peruse for a Helix or a Pacific Coast regularly because I think they'd be great second bikes. The Drifter was one I really really thought about before the current Indians came out. Now I'd just be embarrassed to be seen on one.

I guess I'm almost shifting subjects here on my own thread and revealing something about myself in the process. For me, just recognizing a bike as a future classic (coupled with a great purchase price) probably wouldn't be enough. For me, it would have to be one I really wanted as well which totally screws with that cool, reasoned, detached thing.

FlyinF
10-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm lucky to have some classics and maybe a future one. 1981 CX500C, 1975 CB750, 2006 Vmax and 2013 CB1100. And they are all fun to ride.

Injun Joe
10-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Nice collection.

What about the Honda Alp... Whatever
Or the vertical 6?

The rotaries are already collector/classic status, right?

I suppose the Kawasaki triple, two cycles are too right? Definitely not my cup of tea.

I'd love me a BSA Thumper...

Jimmytee
10-21-2014, 08:51 PM
1981 GL500 Silver WIng Interstate was my first street bike at the age of 16.

Trike lady
10-21-2014, 11:28 PM
The 1991 GL1500 SE was also built in a limited quantity the colors are identical to the GL1200 Limited.
I spent a lot of time learning about vintage bikes from the gentleman who now lives in Kentucky, I worked on a number of the Wings and HDs he owns.
The GL1000 check for the ones that have 1974 on them. I will be joining when I have the extra $$$ the Japanese Vintage Motorcycle Club to increase my knowledge of Japanese bikes. The Honda Dreams are a nice set if you get all three. The CX500 Police Trident Trike try to find one of those too. Not too many have seen the Indian Dispatch Tow, quite rare and expensive.

Trike lady
10-21-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm lucky to have some classics and maybe a future one. 1981 CX500C, 1975 CB750, 2006 Vmax and 2013 CB1100. And they are all fun to ride.
Nice looking bikes, all will appreciate in value.

The CBX1000 in-line 6, the rotary engines and the Hondamatics. The 'Water Buffaloes' those Suzukis were a beast.

JackB
10-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Last year I sold my CX500 Turbo bikes. A rare one year bike. I had trouble selling them and they didn't go up in value. But I had a lot of fun owning them.
The price on the Valkyrie's isn't going up maybe it's too soon. I sold one of my Valk's this summer and I'm tying to sell my other one but no one is calling.
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0191.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0191.jpg.html)

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/JacksFallof2011037.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/JacksFallof2011037.jpg.html)

shooter
10-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Why do you think the B won't be? (My M109R was pretty darn nice too!)

Nothing against the B. Its one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Its not unique enough. It doesn't break new ground. It is after all a Gold Wing. I agree with the Valkyrie. Its already a classic. The 9 has a cult following and impacted the market as the most outrageous power cruiser out there. Something that's a classic has to change the way you look at a segment of the market. The CB 750 was such a bike. I owned a really nice one. 1976 model.

Injun Joe
10-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Nothing against the B. Its one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Its not unique enough. It doesn't break new ground. It is after all a Gold Wing. I agree with the Valkyrie. Its already a classic. The 9 has a cult following and impacted the market as the most outrageous power cruiser out there. Something that's a classic has to change the way you look at a segment of the market. The CB 750 was such a bike. I owned a really nice one. 1976 model.

OK... How about the F6B redefines the bagger category into usable, long distance bikes? :stirthepot:

Sarcasm aside, I would never have considered a Goldwing as my only bike -- not since the days of the first naked ones. My problem is I'd feel like a fool hopping on one just to ride downtown. While I'd still like a smaller bike or scooter for around town jaunts, I don't feel nearly as ridiculous on the B. (And yes, I'd feel the same way about a full dress Harley and it's part of what put me off the Victory Vision. With the Vision, even the discontinued bagger version looks silly just putting around town I think.)

FF-Ed
10-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Last year I sold my CX500 Turbo bikes. A rare one year bike. I had trouble selling them and they didn't go up in value. But I had a lot of fun owning them.
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0191.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0191.jpg.html)

When I saw that picture of your two (not one but TWO) CX500turbos' the pop I was drinking came outa my nose! That was the bike I was going to say! That is one I never got ahold of..:Saweeet smilie:

motoman
10-22-2014, 02:10 PM
It seems pretty clear that the first year Polaris Indian Chief will be a classic, collectible bike.

If you didn't buy one, you completely missed the boat.

:crackup: :crackup:

Injun Joe
10-22-2014, 02:24 PM
It seems pretty clear that the first year Polaris Indian Chief will be a classic, collectible bike.

If you didn't buy one, you completely missed the boat.

:crackup: :crackup:

I haven't heard any sales numbers. Have you? I kind of compare it to the Spyder in that regard: There are so many Spyders on the road now with indistinguishable features that I'm aware of that I think their long term value might be diluted. Yet both set something of a milestone as coming out of nowhere.

But back to the hilarity of your joke. Let's check back in 20-40 years and see whether the first year F6B or the first year Indian are considered more of a classic, shall we?

motoman
10-22-2014, 02:48 PM
But back to the hilarity of your joke. Let's check back in 20-40 years and see whether the first year F6B or the first year Indian are considered more of a classic, shall we?

There is NO WAY the F6B will ever be considered a 'classic'. It's a mass-produced Japanese bike. And when you consider the GL1800 motor has been in production since 2001, the prospects are even bleaker. Maybe if Honda had goosed the motor a little, or tightened up the wheelbase, or changed the seating position to make it a little more sporty, maybe things would be different. But they didn't. They're just trying to extend the life of their GL1800 assembly line. The same way they did on the Valk Interstate. And actually, they did those things on the new Valk, and that bike seems to be sinking like a rock.

I'm glad you like your bike, but at the end of the day, it's just a Honda that's losing a little value every night while it sits in your garage. It's not ground-breaking, earth-shattering, or a bold new creation.

So ride the crap out of it, and stop thinking that it's so special just because you bought it. We have heard that Honda has repurchased some Wings with 400,000+ miles on them to tear down and study.

That's my goal. :lolup:

Injun Joe
10-22-2014, 03:38 PM
There is NO WAY the F6B will ever be considered a 'classic'. It's a mass-produced Japanese bike. And when you consider the GL1800 motor has been in production since 2001, the prospects are even bleaker. Maybe if Honda had goosed the motor a little, or tightened up the wheelbase, or changed the seating position to make it a little more sporty, maybe things would be different. But they didn't. They're just trying to extend the life of their GL1800 assembly line. The same way they did on the Valk Interstate.

I'm glad you like your bike, but at the end of the day, it's just a Honda that's losing a little value every night while it sits in your garage. It's not ground-breaking, earth-shattering, or a bold new creation.

So ride the crap out of it, and stop thinking that it's so special just because you bought it. We have heard that Honda has repurchased some Wings with 400,000+ miles on them to tear down and study.

Uh... my "goal" was to find out what current bikes people thought might become classics. Like many threads, this one has drifted. While it would be fun if the F6B became a classic or even just a cult classic, I'm hardly losing any sleep over it. The Indian would have been a little different. Had I bought when I first thought about it, I would have had a very low first number off the assembly line. That would been kind of cool. But I wouldn't have thought I'd stand to gain on it like I did my early Mac signed by both Woz and Jobs on the inside of the case.

shooter
10-22-2014, 03:54 PM
OK... How about the F6B redefines the bagger category into usable, long distance bikes? :stirthepot:

Sarcasm aside, I would never have considered a Goldwing as my only bike -- not since the days of the first naked ones. My problem is I'd feel like a fool hopping on one just to ride downtown. While I'd still like a smaller bike or scooter for around town jaunts, I don't feel nearly as ridiculous on the B. (And yes, I'd feel the same way about a full dress Harley and it's part of what put me off the Victory Vision. With the Vision, even the discontinued bagger version looks silly just putting around town I think.)
But Joe in reality the B is a Gold Wing. Pop that trunk on the back and for intents and purposes you're there. I know its not quite that simple but appearance wise it is. The B will never be a classic or collectable. Doesn't mean its not one of the slickest bikes out there. Think about it. You're riding the quickest bagger on the planet. And probably the best handling. I love my 9 but the B impresses the hell out of me. When the wife and I ride with my brother in laws and their wives they always ask me to ride point. They both have Ultra Classics. They know what they're doing. Putting the fastest bike out front.

Injun Joe
10-22-2014, 04:11 PM
But Joe in reality the B is a Gold Wing. Pop that trunk on the back and for intents and purposes you're there. I know its not quite that simple but appearance wise it is. The B will never be a classic or collectable. Doesn't mean its not one of the slickest bikes out there. Think about it. You're riding the quickest bagger on the planet. And probably the best handling. I love my 9 but the B impresses the hell out of me. When the wife and I ride with my brother in laws and their wives they always ask me to ride point. They both have Ultra Classics. They know what they're doing. Putting the fastest bike out front.

The beauty of it is, it's a Wing, but it doesn't look like a Wing. That's one of the main things that made the original Valkyrie so popular too, isn't it? You could ride one and pretend you were a "biker" instead of a "motorcyclist."

Back to the full Wing, if they just made a way to easily remove the trunk and that Lazy Boy of a back seat when you didn't want or need it, I'd totally be down. That's one of the cool things about the 9 -- how easy it is to switch between solo and passenger. Of course now that I've switched to the Mustang seat, the 6 is almost a stealth passenger seat looks wise. In fact, the fastback look kind reminds me of the solo 9.

* I have my doubts how comfortable a passenger would be on the Mustang seat, but then I want to discourage passengers.

Injun Joe
10-22-2014, 06:16 PM
And since we're talking about such things...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301364146527

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301364045127

valkmc
10-23-2014, 02:01 PM
There is NO WAY the F6B will ever be considered a 'classic'. It's a mass-produced Japanese bike. And when you consider the GL1800 motor has been in production since 2001, the prospects are even bleaker. Maybe if Honda had goosed the motor a little, or tightened up the wheelbase, or changed the seating position to make it a little more sporty, maybe things would be different. But they didn't. They're just trying to extend the life of their GL1800 assembly line. The same way they did on the Valk Interstate. And actually, they did those things on the new Valk, and that bike seems to be sinking like a rock.

I agree, great bike but I don't see it becoming a classic. That doesn't matter to most people, they buy the bike to enjoy now. The funny thing about the Valkyrie was it did extend the life of the 1500 but never really sold well. I believe it's demise was the fact that a good share of the buyers were coming off a Wing or deciding between the Valk and the Wing and that is certainly not what Honda had in mind when they designed it. If the F6 doesn't attract riders from different brands it won't last all that long either. Honda can sell lots of Wings without making multiple models.

Injun Joe
10-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I agree, great bike but I don't see it becoming a classic. That doesn't matter to most people, they buy the bike to enjoy now. The funny thing about the Valkyrie was it did extend the life of the 1500 but never really sold well. I believe it's demise was the fact that a good share of the buyers were coming off a Wing or deciding between the Valk and the Wing and that is certainly not what Honda had in mind when they designed it. If the F6 doesn't attract riders from different brands it won't last all that long either. Honda can sell lots of Wings without making multiple models.

In the case of the F6B, how many stand alone units need to be sold to justify the cost of the molds? (By stand alone, I mean sales like my own where the buyer would not have purchased a full Wing.) Once those molds are made, it seems obvious that Honda would want to continue production until design and pre-production costs were recouped. Once those costs are recouped, what would drive shutting down the production line other than there being inadequate sales to justify the production line.

More simply, as long as Honda can make enough "converts" like myself by producing a given product, there is incentive to do so.

None of this has to do with whether the F6B ever becomes a classic. But what you and others are saying about Valkyrie sales really baffles me because I've never heard anything but praise for them. I guess there must just be a very small population of loud fans? I could see that happening with the F6B I guess.

Jimmytee
10-23-2014, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=JackB;51435]Last year I sold my CX500 Turbo bikes. A rare one year bike. I had trouble selling them and they didn't go up in value. But I had a lot of fun owning them.
The price on the Valkyrie's isn't going up maybe it's too soon. I sold one of my Valk's this summer and I'm tying to sell my other one but no one is calling.

You ,I'm sure, are aware that there was a 650 turbo, one year as well. I had a GL500 Silver Wing Interstate as my first street bike at 16. Great bike, had a blast on it at 16. That was like in 85-86.

JackB
10-23-2014, 07:04 PM
You ,I'm sure, are aware that there was a 650 turbo, one year as well. I had a GL500 Silver Wing Interstate as my first street bike at 16. Great bike, had a blast on it at 16. That was like in 85-86.[/QUOTE]

Honda made about 4800 CX500Turbo's and about 1800 650's. I heard the 650 Turbo's were a better bike I never had a change to ride one.

Ryo
10-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Yamaha R7
Honda VTRsp1/2
Ducati 916 sps
Kawasaki gpz900r
Suzuki.GSX-R 750 '87

Lunatic Fringe
10-26-2014, 05:59 PM

9290 9291

I was able to buy a new zero mile 2008 Bking in January 2011 for $7999.00, that was nearly a 5k discount off the msrp. Bad economy and the mortgage meltdown plus a radical look meant few people wanted one. A lot of folks hated the looks and dismissed the bike without even riding one. The bike is fantastic to ride, comfortable, strong from idle to redline with great braking and fully adjustable suspension.

I'm keeping mine because I simply love it and I know I'll never find such a performance bargain again. Will it be a collectable........maybe to early to tell but many of the plastic parts are going for a lot of money these days which leads me to believe there is a demand for clean stock examples. If you own one and enjoy riding it I say hold on to it.