PDA

View Full Version : Windshields

Teach
06-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Ok I see there are several mindsets on the windshields so let me try a couple questions. I'd like to hear from folks who have both the Cee Bailey and Baggershield ws.
First I like the looks of the bagger screen personally as I like the rounder design versus the angular. So with that said:
Does the 11" Bagger reduce the wind noise so one can at least hear the radio at speeds above 35?
Same question for the Cee crowd but with either the 9" or 13" vented?
I actually prefer a little wind in the face and at 6' tall and 34" inseam these heights have been good on Harley Roadglides I've owned.
Thanks in advance.... T

Wild Bill
06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I have the 11 baggershield. Cant say how fast you can hear the radio but Iv tested mine to just over 90. And that at about 20-25 of the 30 volume level.

Mike
06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
514515516517With the 11" baggershield.

You hear more pipes, motor and stereo.
Its not full protection but its not too small either.
I needed a little less wind but didn't want a full shield. :biker:

Memphian
06-23-2013, 10:17 PM
I have the 9" Cee Bailey's windshield and I love it. My other bike was a Vtx 1800c that didn't have a shield. The 9" shield will not give you wind protection or help you hear the radio any better. I happen to enjoy riding with the wind in my face.

Memphian
06-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Here's a better pic of me riding with the 9" shield.520

Alberta Beagle
06-23-2013, 11:16 PM
I have the 11 inch Baggershield and love it!!!
Always get comments on it and most think it is the stock shield as it just look like it belongs.

Beagle

timjoebob
06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Why not the best of all worlds? One that's short for city cruising and converts in seconds for touring:

http://youtu.be/L11XU9t0eHc

On sale, too:

http://www.baggershield.com/baggershield-honda-f6b-11-to-19-adjustable-p-83.html

RRF6B
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
I have the BaggerShield (11-19") and love it. The 11" virtually eliminated the distortion of the radio at higher speeds. I use earplugs when riding and the music is good for me around 20-25 volume at 70-80mph.

The top screen in either position does not rub, vibrate or move at all. The extra 2" on each side seems to have really cut down on the buffeting. I like the looks of the smoked screen and no problem to see over/though it.

Teach
06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks folks. The dealer agreed to throw in the tall Honda windscreen which I'll give a try (since it is part of the deal). I'll look at other options down the road.

Teach
06-28-2013, 10:42 PM
The Honda tall ws is just too high for my liking. Ordered up the bagger shield 11".......

oneducboy
07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
This is my first Wing or cruiser style bike, I came from riding a VFR 800 with riser bars and tall windshield. My VFR did not seem to buffet like this? I have been riding for over 35 years and have had some road racing experience so I am not a beginner.
I tried the 9 inch Bailey windshield , seemed like I had buffeting still over the stock, so I purchased the 11 in bagger shield ? I still am not happy, It is so bad at 70 mph that my vision seems blurry ( don't laugh ).
I am 5' 10" , I did not want to go taller to take away the look, I may go back to the stock shield.
What does everyone else think, I am looking for suggestions.

Steve 0080
07-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Welllllllll the Baggershield 11 and 17 are the same windshield with a minor difference...I am 5'10 as well and the 17 is ok for me...I am thinkin about purchasing a taller shield for the trip to Franklin for the rally and only use it for trips because of keeping the look on the bike !!!

FlyinF
07-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Try putting your taller shield on and get to speed where you have a problem then carefully squat down to a point where it feels decent and note about how many inches you had to get down for comfy ride and use that number for next w/s. My aftermarket shield is ok not much buffing but with half helmet alittle bit too much wind noise...............I have an old stock Goldwing w/s and I'm thinking of cutting it down using this method.

chipmaker
07-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm 5'10" and the CB 13" puts the wind right on top of my open face Bell 500 helmet. I wear glasses and this is perfect. Tried not to go too tall and ruin the bikes looks...

GiddyupF6B
07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I recently installed the Cee Bailey 9 inch absolutely loved the look but hated the way it performs. At highway speed the wind was directly aimed at the bridge of my nose making it impossible to ride anyway other than a full helmet with the shield fully closed. I couldn't even crack the shield that's how bad it was, it came off tonight and I slapped the stock one back on. I ordered last night the 11 inch sport shield which can also be mounted at 12.25 inches. I will mount it at the 12.25 inch level first and try it out, if that doesn't work I have a big delimina....go 15 and in my opinion take away from the look, or bag the whole aftermaket shield all together and tint the stock one.

COYOTE
07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I installed this afternoon my CEE BAILEYS 11 inch. Dark Grey. I came back from a ride on the highway and I lové it. I'm 5.7 ft and it's perfect for me. Now I can ear my iPod at 70 MPH on volume level 15 without any problem.

oneducboy
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks everyone........... I may try the taller 13" Bailey ?? clear so you do not see it that much ?
I want to do some loooooong rides and not get beat up !!
I will wait for more response to hear from more people.

Yeahoo Whoyah
07-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I may try the taller 13" Bailey ?? clear so you do not see it that much ?

That should work pretty good, that's what I'm running on my bike. I've found that windshields are usually a compromise, none are perfect IMO.

Yeahoo Whoyah
07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I forgot to mention the Cee Baileys has a slight gap, the windshield curvature does not perfectly conform to the curvature of the fairing. I noticed it when I installed it, but I pretty much ignore it now that its on the bike.

bobbyf6b
07-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm 5'-11" and would definitely like a little taller shield. I like the air flowing but would like to hear the stereo better on the highway. For the mean time I really like the looks of the bike so I decided to get a new helmet. My price point was around $300 so after trying a few I found the Scorpion EXO 500 to be a good option for me. I like full face, flip down shield and it vents well. It's also more quiet than my last helmet so I hear the stereo better. I tried the EXO 900 but didn't like it. Wasn't as comfortable and I didn't get any ventilation at all.

If I were to buy a new windshield today, after hearing what everyone has said, I think I would go with the Baggershield that switches sizes. More wind deflection than stock, still looks nice and if the weather turns bad I could raise it up. Sounds perfect for me.

Darkknight
07-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Last friday I installed the Bagger 11" sport shield Dark tinted.:clap2:

On the left is the stock shield. In the middle is the shield set at 11", on the right is the shield set at 12 3/4inches.
707 709 708

If you look at the shield fairing interface on the outside edges you can see the differences.

I'm 5'10" and with the shield set to 11 the wind would hit me in the face, at 12 3/4" the wind just catches the top of my helmet. It is not enough to bother my arthritic neck.

I do notice that since I'm not getting hit in the torso with wind like the stock shield, I'm much warmer :icon_frown:, but also I didn't realize how much force was constantly hitting me. Just looking over my shoulder before changing lanes, there was a noticable push on my helmet and torso.

I thought the larger shield would take away some of the look that attracted me to this bike in the first place, so I kept the dark tint to try to offset things a little bit.

The final result was a much more relaxed ride although a bit warmer. I don't want the look of a vent. I'm hoping that when my Rivco pegs come in and my legs are outside the fairing, more air will find it's way to me. The radio or mp3 player is much more audible. And my sweetheart notices a lot less wind sitting behind me.

Mustangjake
07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I didn't like the look of the vent neither,but I find myself opening it all the time.

bobbyf6b
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
And another option. I might go for this.

http://laminarlip.com/gl.php

Steve 0080
07-09-2013, 04:49 PM
OK....Bobby.....what does that shield do.....looks kinda like a Wind Vest at the top...

chipmaker
07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
And another option. I might go for this.

http://laminarlip.com/gl.php

I had one of those on my BMW K1200R.

Teach
07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Well if anyone is interested in a Honda Tall WS with vent (was on bike for approx. 100 miles) send me an email and we'll work out a price.
Please put windshield in the title so I don't delete it:icon_wink:
tbeck99@msn.com

bobbyf6b
07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
OK....Bobby.....what does that shield do.....looks kinda like a Wind Vest at the top...

It's a shield that adds on to your existing shield. It's supposed to smooth out buffeting and flip the air up higher. It's a great idea and a lot of adventure and sport bikes use them. My only reservation is how well the sticky stuff will hold up to the extreme AZ heat. The stickies are industrial strength adhesive with heavy duty velcro so the shield can be removed at will.

"The Laminar LIP is designed to quiet wind buffeting and reduce wind pressure while raising the wind comfort envelope."

Phantom
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a PROTOTYPE in the making as we speak, It is a " KIT " of 3 pieces that attach to the top of a short windshield and deflects the air upwardly.

The Kit of 3 will have a 2" a 3.5" and a 5" flip (one for in-town riding, one for spirited backroads and one for the interstate if you chose to swap them out quickly) ..... Manufacturer is dragging their feet :banghead:

bobbyf6b
07-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I had one of those on my BMW K1200R.

What did you think? Do you think it would work as good on the F6B?

Yeahoo Whoyah
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
What did you think? Do you think it would work as good on the F6B?

Starting with the short stock windshield the Laminar Lip will likely move the wind blast higher up on your body and may even introduce new and undesired turbulence rather than curing the problem. I believe a taller windshield is a better answer, and not that much more money. Or you could TOFTT, buy the Laminar Lip and let us know how it works!

bobbyf6b
07-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Starting with the short stock windshield the Laminar Lip will likely move the wind blast higher up on your body and may even introduce new and undesired turbulence rather than curing the problem. I believe a taller windshield is a better answer, and not that much more money. Or you could TOFTT, buy the Laminar Lip and let us know how it works!

I may just do that. Right now the wind hits me in the face (helmet) but a little boost might get it up to the top of the helmet where I like it. The lower cost will help keep the Mrs off my back a little too. No promises there. :shhh: