PDA

View Full Version : Radio Range

FlyinF
06-23-2013, 01:41 PM
I replaced a Wing with F6. Riding the Hill country I could get most stations from the city on the Wing but with the F6 I cannot get the same stations or get very weak signals. Does anyone else have this problem, could it be the stubby antenna? Could the stubby be replaced with a taller one?

Mike
06-23-2013, 03:54 PM
It could very well be the small antenna. I found the radio to be real weak and the sound was real bad. Cheap sounding. But then I plugged in a zip drive with mp3s and BAM!
MP 3 and I pods etc sound so much better than the radio does. With tons of power for a stock radio, I was impressed. Have you plugged anything in yet?
I will never use the radio again. :biker:

Texas TC
06-23-2013, 04:11 PM
I agree, the short antenna seems to be the culprit. I have noticed more weak signals on the F6B radio than I did with the GL1800. I usually listen to sports or news talk radio, music does not interest me so plugging in a device would not help in my situation.

FlyinF
06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm not too concerned because on long rides/trips I use Myfi Delphi Satellite receiver (which I've had for a long time, its great I use it in the house, jogging, RV and motorcycle......and I bought a life time subscription many years ago) or MP3. I only listen to the radio on short Sunday morning breakfast rides in the Texas Hill country............I was just wondering if everybody else had the same deal.

Wild Bill
06-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Seems to depend on the contour of the land.Was in south carolina few weeks ago and held a radio station for over 100 miles. In ohio this week end and same thin g.Seems to hole stations good.Hill country not so good.May loss a station crosing the street. Usb drive is like instaling an amp.Radio gets to loud at 80+ interstate traffic.

Steve 0080
06-24-2013, 01:11 AM
I have removed the antenna and put a rubber cap on the top so no water gets to it....I prefer the noise the motor makes and really don't listen to a noise...on long trips it would be nice and that is what the USB is for.....the antenna looks like some type of sea creature....

fxdl2051
08-21-2014, 02:59 AM
I have removed the antenna and put a rubber cap on the top so no water gets to it....I prefer the noise the motor makes and really don't listen to a noise...on long trips it would be nice and that is what the USB is for.....the antenna looks like some type of sea creature....

I just unbolted the antenna and stuffed it inside the tailpiece, definitely loses signal so I'm looking at a Tunetrapper or marine antenna for an alternative. Caped the mount same as you, Lowe's hardware dept. is my new 2nd home.

Miwhite
07-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Has anyone found a nice fitting replacement antenna to improve reception?

Steve 0080
07-27-2016, 05:48 PM
Somebody found one and wrapped around the area of the rear shelter. m If I remember right they said it worked much better !!! Try a search using different words and see if something comes up. Should be under an antenna thread.

Brewdog
07-27-2016, 08:55 PM
I replaced a Wing with F6. Riding the Hill country I could get most stations from the city on the Wing but with the F6 I cannot get the same stations or get very weak signals. Does anyone else have this problem, could it be the stubby antenna? Could the stubby be replaced with a taller one?

Flying, I have the same trouble with my radio. I get terrible reception on it, weak at best. Distant stations that are easy for the car just don't come in on the F6B. I'd like to replace my antenna as well.

BIGLRY
07-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Anyone ever try the Tune Trapper hidden motorcycle antenna by ECS corp? :shrug:

http://www.tunetrapper.com/motorcycle_antenna.html

Miwhite
07-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Has anyone found a nice fitting replacement antenna to improve reception?

I should have been clearer in my question. What I'm looking for is a longer mast that screws into the Honda base, i.e. a replacement for the short Honda mast.